Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

About The Presidential Election On Saturday. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / About The Presidential Election On Saturday. (6487 Views)

President Goodluck Jonathan Will Win On Saturday - Abdullahi Maibasira / General IBB Speaks On The Postpoment Of The Election On Twitter / Nigerians Reaction After Election On The South West (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by maclatunji: 12:29pm On Apr 12, 2011
The National Assembly elections of Saturday, April 9, 2011 have come and gone but the ripples generated are still obvious to see. There is no doubting the fact that the People's Democratic Party (PDP) was shocked in the Southwest and is very much aware of the potent threat that General Muhammadu Buhari of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) poses to the incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan.

Without being sentimental, it is safe to say that it will be difficult for any candidate to win in the first round. General Muhammadu Buhari is obviously loved by the masses in the north and under free and fair elections devoid of rigging he should have an overwhelming lead in the North. The same holds true for President Goodluck Jonathan in the South-East and South-South. The Southwest is firmly in the grip of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) and its presidential candidate Nuhu Ribadu stands to benefit from this.

Now, the key question we all have to answer on Saturday is: will the presidential election be won because of rigging or in-spite of rigging? As Nigerians we have to see this Saturday's election as a mission to save the country from chaos. Hence, not only must we vote for candidates of our choice, we must also ensure that those who want to subvert the process are identified, exposed and punished (according to the law).

In order to achieve this, we should all go out to vote with our multimedia gadgets (phones, smartphones and cameras). Where you find electoral offences being committed, record and post videos on the different social networking platforms ; Facebook, Twitter, Blackberry Messenger, Nairaland as well as local and foreign news channels and websites.

I also suggest that if you have not joined President Jonathan's fanpage on Facebook yet, do so. Then flood his page with videos of any electoral malpractice that may happen in your locality, do the same for the Facebook pages of the other two major candidates. It would be very difficult for him to face the world with thousands of videos showing electoral malpractice on his own Facebook page after next Saturday's presidential elections.

At the end of the day, we are out to achieve 2 things on Saturday:

1. Elect our country's leader for the next four years (God-willing) based on the choice of the majority and

2. Prevent our country from experiencing the dire consequences of failing to achieve 1 above.

God bless Nigeria!
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by efisher(m): 12:40pm On Apr 12, 2011
GEJ does not need rigging to win. He will win in a perfectly free and fair election. GEJ has support and structures in every nook and cranny of this nation. The NW and NE is not entirely Buhari's because there are millions of people who will gain from or prefer a PDP win. Remember that not everyone who wears a kaftan is an Hausa man. Remember also that PDP has candidates whose political future relies on the GEJ presidency. Buhari has substantial support ONLY in the North. Buhari does not even have the structure to rake in enough harvest from the North. GEJ has a good support in the SW where Buhari has extremely little. GEJ has a significant support in NC as well as Buhari. GEJ is virtually unopposed in SS and extremely strong in SE. Everywhere you turn, there will be millions of GEJ votes.

It takes more than just crowds to win an election. We should be ready to accept the huge margin when the results are out.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by shagaman: 12:40pm On Apr 12, 2011
Why flood JEG's facebook page with videos when INEC has a registered website,all we need do is to stand firm as we did in the last elections,it starts from the wards,monitor anywhere you are,via pictures,videos and most especially upload final results immediately it is announced, GOD bless 9ja.

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for.
We are the change that we seek,
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by maclatunji: 12:43pm On Apr 12, 2011
efisher:

GEJ does not need rigging to win. He will win in a perfectly free and fair election. GEJ has support and structures in every nook and cranny of this nation. The NW and NE is not entirely Buhari's because there are millions of people who will gain from or prefer a PDP win. Remember that not everyone who wears a kaftan is an Hausa man. Buhari has substantial support ONLY in the North. Buhari does not even have the structure to rake in enough harvest from the North. GEJ has a good support in the SW where Buhari has extremely little. GEJ has a significant support in NC as well as Buhari. Everywhere you turn, there will be millions of GEJ votes. It takes more than just crowds to win an election.

Then he should not be afraid of having thousands of video clips of the process from several polling units on that day flooding cyberspace.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by nagoma(m): 12:45pm On Apr 12, 2011
The PDP rigging machine is still intact. There is no way we could have voted for these bandits the way they treated Nigeria and Nigerians these last 12 years. Nigerians can't be that maschistic!
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by Mkpotu(m): 12:45pm On Apr 12, 2011
GEJ is winning the election, simple!
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by nagoma(m): 12:48pm On Apr 12, 2011
Yes, Rigging has always been simple to PDP.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by maclatunji: 12:48pm On Apr 12, 2011
shagaman:

Why flood JEG's facebook page with videos when INEC has a registered website,all we need do is to stand firm as we did in the last elections,it starts from the wards,monitor anywhere you are,via pictures,videos and most especially upload final results immediately it is announced, GOD bless 9ja.

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for.
We are the change that we seek,

This is to prevent him from doing a Yar'adua on us. I know the election that brought me in was flawed but take me as I am and all that ish

Even the Supreme Court Justices would have no place to hide if they try to subvert the process with so much documented proof. The international community would have no choice than to reject any such flawed election.

By the way, feel free to post them on INEC's website as well. Nairaland Admin. should create a thread exclusively for election videos.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by Mobinga: 12:49pm On Apr 12, 2011
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by maclatunji: 12:55pm On Apr 12, 2011
Mobinga:

I always thought you were dull! Nice

http://coolstuff49ja..com/2011/04/about-nigerian-presidential-election-on.html

I haven't changed, I am still as "dull" as ever.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by Mobinga: 12:59pm On Apr 12, 2011
Good, Good. Son.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by JimmyBoy1: 1:03pm On Apr 12, 2011
@macolatunji, one of the best post I have seen in recent times, devoid of hatred, name calling, insult, partisanship e.t.c I enjoin everybody to keep this thread this wasy. Let us focus our discusion on how to ensure that the elections are credible and also gather enough materials to punish election offenders.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by victorazy(m): 1:04pm On Apr 12, 2011
Has anyone heard from the Witches and Wizards about who will win the election or are they silent?
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by wisernow: 1:06pm On Apr 12, 2011
i,my friends and members of my family are getting ready to rejoice with other nigerians on the removal of PDP from Aso rocK by BB, it is BB everywhere you go!!!

Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by Busols757: 1:10pm On Apr 12, 2011
Yes GEJ will win by the grace of God.  He is better off than the other two mallams.  If Buba Marwa was a presidential candidate under CPC I would av vote for him, so to say i don't have anything against mallams.  But for this two running, their brutality nature against ordinaly Nigerias is so appalling.

A vote for ACN on the next coming election is automatically a vote for CPC.  In as much as i believe that we have not reach our promise land yet, but we are making progress.

Make ur Vote count. Vote wisely
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by maclatunji: 1:14pm On Apr 12, 2011
victorazy:

Has anyone heard from the Witches and Wizards about who will win the election or are they silent?
We are waiting for you to report their choice to us now. smiley
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by Busols757: 1:14pm On Apr 12, 2011
Yes GEJ will win by the grace of God.  He is better off than the other two mallams.  If Buba Marwa was a presidential candidate under CPC I would av vote for him, so to say i don't have anything against mallams.  But for this two running, their brutality nature against ordinaly Nigerias is so appalling.

A vote for ACN on the next coming election is automatically a vote for CPC.  In as much as i believe that we have not reach our promise land yet, but we are making progress.

Make ur Vote count. Vote wisely
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by SkyBlue1: 1:18pm On Apr 12, 2011
If I was a betting man, I wouldn't even bet on my ability to predict the winner of the coming presidential elections (which is what makes it so interesting). I think Jonathan has a good shot because of the PDP structure on ground (and not necessarily because of rigging). I had completely written off Ribadu in the past, but with the announced legislative results gone by, who knows, he might have a distant shot (although I personally very much doubt he can win). Buhari's chances are difficult to read, he might just be able to force this to a run off (if he doesn't just get it). If Buhari is winning this election I very much doubt it would be by a wide margin at all, he would just get about enough to win. Regardless though, for the good or the bad of the country, Jonathan's chances look the most promising. His obvious rival seems to be Buhari and it is not even clear whether the hypothetical scenario of Ribadu stepping down would even help Buhari's cause at all (because we all like to assume Ribadu supporters would naturally have Buhari as a second preference).

At the end of the day the elections might be decided based on the ratio of people voting for parties to the ratio voting for personalities. It seems logical to assume most people voting along party lines would want to get rid of PDP (in that case ACN gains), people voting on personalities would probably then pit Jonathan squarely against Buhari. . . . we'll have to just wait and see. Personally if we were to have an opposition in government I would rather it be CPC than ACN.

I just hope people won't be screaming "rigging rigging" without any sort of logic or proof when the person they hoped would win loses because it is not only one party that is capable of rigging and elections in Nigeria are not necessarily decided by the loud urban population. Most of the populations is claimed to live in the rural areas, and which party has the most structures on ground in such areas? . . . . . .
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by chemicaldom(m): 1:24pm On Apr 12, 2011
GEJ need not rig the elections to win. he needs not even b in pdp 2 win if he is contesting with BB. It is time we begin 2 vote in credible leaders irrespective of party.pdp may b currupt but GEJ stil hv clean record, in d light of d nass elections.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by doja(m): 1:31pm On Apr 12, 2011
It is our time. Ribadu all the way,

Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by Johnpaul2k2(m): 1:48pm On Apr 12, 2011
Gej is better than Ribadu and Black Berry (BB)
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by Onuohasworld(m): 1:48pm On Apr 12, 2011
we all know gej will win and fashola will win, these two guys re certain, i m stil not happy because these old politicians jst change to different parties and contest .no new ideas,recycling people who has nothing to offer, indirectly we re still under pdp believe it or not, they leave pdp and form another party,after they  jump back to pdp begging to be accepted back like prodigal children, make all of them go hug trans4mer.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by Orikinla(m): 1:56pm On Apr 12, 2011
We have already resolved on what to do if the corrupt ruling party refuses to vacate the state house for a new party and all the international observers have copies of our resolution. The PDP used voter intimidation, political bribery and other electoral manipulations in the National Assembly polls of last Saturday. It is either by this election or a revolution.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by lekyar(m): 1:57pm On Apr 12, 2011
GEJ will win by a wide margin and Fashola too. Feeler's all over the place point to this fact.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by Tope4all(m): 1:58pm On Apr 12, 2011
efisher:

GEJ does not need rigging to win. He will win in a perfectly free and fair election. GEJ has support and structures in every nook and cranny of this nation. The NW and NE is not entirely Buhari's because there are millions of people who will gain from or prefer a PDP win. Remember that not everyone who wears a kaftan is an Hausa man. Remember also that PDP has candidates whose political future relies on the GEJ presidency. Buhari has substantial support ONLY in the North. Buhari does not even have the structure to rake in enough harvest from the North. GEJ has a good support in the SW where Buhari has extremely little. GEJ has a significant support in NC as well as Buhari. GEJ is virtually unopposed in SS and extremely strong in NE. Everywhere you turn, there will be millions of GEJ votes.

It takes more than just crowds to win an election. We should be ready to accept the huge margin when the results are out.
If you use the last National Assembly election results as a basis for forming your opinion, you might be wrong. People are voting for personality and not party.
PDP seem to have landslide victory in the North because the contestants were more popular than their opponents. The same trend will repeat itself on Saturday for the coming presidential election where BB is the most popular. And then you will see that 75% votes in the North will go to BB. So also in the SW, Ribadu will get up to75% of the vote cast. And also in figure you cant compare the strenght of someone who won a national assembly election in SE with less than 50000 votes with his counterpart that win with more that 200,000 votes for example in Lagos Central that produced Oluremi Tinubu. All these are major determinants.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by UNITEDMAN: 2:01pm On Apr 12, 2011
keep posting on here and we will keep talking to the electorates. Ribadu will shock so many people, it will be a clean sweep in the s/w and ACN have intensified their campaign all over Nigeria. i see Ribadu doing better than expected. watch this space!
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by UNITEDMAN: 2:07pm On Apr 12, 2011
let us calculate the total number of votes cast during the NASS election and see who is truly leading. don't be surprised if Ribadu beats ur imagination.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by booboo79: 2:22pm On Apr 12, 2011
What if GEJ, Buhari & Ribadu lose on saturday? what will happen?
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by Nobody: 2:30pm On Apr 12, 2011
UNITED MAN:

let us calculate the total number of votes cast during the NASS election and see who is truly leading. don't be surprised if Ribadu beats your imagination.
On the contrary, people cast vote for different persons based on separate factors of conviction. Don't be surprised those voting GEJ may not prefer the PDP candidate in the same state where they're casting the votes.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by bisiaet: 2:33pm On Apr 12, 2011
From my calculation it is certain Gej will win and Fashola will also win. Mere looking at last saturday result it obvious Gej is the next president no reason to doubt this.

It wolud be unlogical and a gross miscalculation to expect any other candidate to win in a situation where PDP still has massive majority in Lower House and Upper House and even in Governorship level.

No need for partisan politics in this case I dont see how any opposition party will win presidency and be able to function in this situation on ground I dont know. And I dont think there is any country recorded anywhere the president  has no single state to his party or has just four or five party memmber in both lower house and upper house and the government still function I dont know of any?  I may be wrong though but anyone who has the record should please forward it.

My own party is ACN but I dont see it happening in 2011 ACN become the preident talkless CPC. Sweeping the Southwest does not mean sweeping the entire nationso it is two diffferent thing entirely but let wait till Saturday we shall see it all.

This is just my own view.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by sammirano: 2:36pm On Apr 12, 2011
goodluck has no place in the presidential election am certain.
Re: About The Presidential Election On Saturday. by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 12, 2011
@maclatunji

I think you set out to do a good job with this thread but it obvious you are unable to hide your dislike of GEJ.

My advise to you is when setting up an import thread like this, you don't have to take sides with any of the contestant. Keep your opinion to yourself and that way you will achieve the desired end.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Time To Ban The Hijab From Major Cities? / JIMI AGBAJE Or AMBODE? Who Is Best To Lead Lagos State Well / Faces Of Keepers Of The Secret Of Buhari's Death ~ Nnamdi Kanu(ipob)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.