Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,068 members, 7,863,779 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 05:57 AM

Poll: Inec Decides Anambra Crisis Wednesday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Poll: Inec Decides Anambra Crisis Wednesday (611 Views)

Anambra Central Senate Poll: INEC Shuts Out PDP, APC / INEC Decides On Bayelsa Supplementary Poll Tomorrow / Lagos-Anambra Crisis Ben Akabueze Sacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poll: Inec Decides Anambra Crisis Wednesday by Chyz2: 2:26am On Apr 13, 2011
[size=15pt]Poll: INEC Decides Anambra Crisis Wednesday[/size]

By Ike Abony

13 Apr 2011

The Chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Attahiru Jega Tuesday met with Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) to review last week’s parliamentary poll with a view to addressing challenges that emerged from last Saturday’s Presidential election.

THISDAY learnt that the controversial Anambra central Senatorial election was discussed with the REC stating that the election was inclusive. Jega reportedly questioned why the Returning Officer should announced Ngige winner if the election was inconclusive. It was learnt that after listening to Anambra REC and referring to relevant sections of the Electoral Act, Jega decided that with about 17,000 registered voters in the area where result is yet to be released and one of the candidates is leading with less than 50 votes, the law demands that the result should be inclusive until election is concluded in the remaining wards.

The meeting reportedly adjourned late Tuesday night. However, a decision is expected to be reached Wednesday at the end of Jega’s meeting with the RECs.

In the meantime, the duo of Ngige and Akunyili would have to wait for a final decision that is expected from this meeting later Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the Senatorial Candidate of the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA) and former Minister of Information, Prof. Dora Akunyili has accused the Returning Officer, Dr. Alex Anene of allegedly demanding bribe before releasing the result of the senatorial district.

Akunyili who addressed newsmen Tuesday alongside the National Chairman of APGA, Chief Victor Umeh at the party headquarters in Abuja over the election tussle in Anambra state, said she was reportedly contacted on her phone by an agent working for absconded Anene requesting for negotiation in order for him to come out and declare his result.

"Anene asked me to arrange for him to negotiate with me and I said never, I am willing to offer myself for a re-run of the senatorial election so that a winner can emerge,"she said.

While narrating the incident that led to the impasse in the election, Akunyili said there were incontrovertible evidence that the election was inconclusive as results from some of the wards could not be declared because of irregularities. She said the problem of election in Nigeria is not that of the process but the desperation of politicians to win at all cost and their inability to accept defeat honourably.

While dismissing the declaration of the candidate of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Dr. Chris Ngige as winner of the senatorial poll, APGA Chairman said the party stands by decision of INEC to cancel results in some of the wards and to conduct a re-run.

He explained that election in the Anambra Central was largely peaceful and successful, except for about four wards and polling units where the elections were cancelled.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/
Re: Poll: Inec Decides Anambra Crisis Wednesday by ektbear: 2:33am On Apr 13, 2011
Will be interesting to see what INEC decides.

Go Ngige go!
Re: Poll: Inec Decides Anambra Crisis Wednesday by Chyz2: 2:45am On Apr 13, 2011
Any ideas on how and when Senate President is selected?
Re: Poll: Inec Decides Anambra Crisis Wednesday by ektbear: 2:49am On Apr 13, 2011
PDP will have a strict majority, so unfortunately he cannot be Senate President unless he decamps to PDP.

If Buhari wins though and enough PDP senate members defect to the CPC (probably likely at least for the northern senators) to give the ACN/CPC a majority, then perhaps he can get that slot.
Re: Poll: Inec Decides Anambra Crisis Wednesday by Odunnu: 3:15am On Apr 13, 2011
All these inter-play is making it look so unserious. Now everybody is under pressure.
Re: Poll: Inec Decides Anambra Crisis Wednesday by Chyz2: 3:15am On Apr 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

PDP will have a strict majority, so unfortunately he cannot be Senate President unless he decamps to PDP.

If Buhari wins though and enough PDP senate members defect to the CPC (probably likely at least for the northern senators) to give the ACN/CPC a majority, then perhaps he can get that slot.

I still wait on Jega to do justice. I still have a lot of hope. it is more that clear that PDP rigged Kwara state. If that stands im convince that Jega fears polticians from certain states. The is talks about cancellation in Imo by APGA and ACN members also. There is still hope of weeding these fools out.
Re: Poll: Inec Decides Anambra Crisis Wednesday by ektbear: 3:26am On Apr 13, 2011
So APGA has actually complained loudly? I remember reading some allegations of rigging by Abagworo, but OnlyTruth rightly pointed out that there wasn't an uproad by APGA.

Though truth be told, given that APGA rigged out ACN in Anambra, I'm not sure I have much sympathy for them grin

Kwara I hope gets resolved properly. Still want Benue looked into as well. . . undecided

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: Ripe For A Wikileaks Revolution? / Buhari A Sectional/religious Or A National Leader / Terrorism: Nigeria Signs Security Pact With U.s.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.