Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,363 members, 7,860,994 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:32 PM

Suspected Herdsmen Attack: "I Ran Kilometers To Escape Death – Gov Ortom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Suspected Herdsmen Attack: "I Ran Kilometers To Escape Death – Gov Ortom (509 Views)

Train Attack: I Am Still Supporting Buhari - Hassan Usman, Freed Victim / Women And Children Walked For 5 Kilometers To Get Drinking Water- Photos / Boko-haram Attack- I Pulled Off My Dirty Uniform And Ran (Nigerian Soldier) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suspected Herdsmen Attack: "I Ran Kilometers To Escape Death – Gov Ortom by Okoyeaniche(m): 7:23am On Mar 21, 2021
Governor of Benue State, Samuel Ortom has narrated how he ran for close to two (2) kilometres to escape death as about 15 suspected armed herdsmen attacked him in his farm at Tyo-Mu community, near Makurdi, the state capital, yesterday morning.

The visibly shaken governor, who explained that the incident happened at about 11a.m, said it took the grace of God and the bravery of his security personnel to repel the attackers.

Ortom has been in the forefront of the fight against criminal herdsmen, claiming they had been killing his Benue people in their plot to take over their ancestral lands.

He ensured a law was enacted by the state House of Assembly against open grazing of cattle in the state as cattle destruction of farmlands has been a source of conflict between native farmers and herdsmen.

His statement reads;

“You know today is Saturday and it is normal as a farmer, I usually go to my farm on Saturdays”, the governor told journalists after the gun attack yesterday.

“So I went to my farm along Gboko Road and, while trekking out of the farm; on our way back, we started hearing gunshots and we saw people a little afar who were dressed in black and from experience, we..CONTINUE

1 Share

Re: Suspected Herdsmen Attack: "I Ran Kilometers To Escape Death – Gov Ortom by triple996(m): 7:45am On Mar 21, 2021
angry
Re: Suspected Herdsmen Attack: "I Ran Kilometers To Escape Death – Gov Ortom by Hummingbird8: 7:47am On Mar 21, 2021
Useless politicians
Re: Suspected Herdsmen Attack: "I Ran Kilometers To Escape Death – Gov Ortom by Jakumo(m): 7:53am On Mar 21, 2021
Okoyeaniche:
Governor of Benue State, Samuel Ortom has narrated how he ran for close to two (2) kilometres to escape death as about 15 suspected armed herdsmen attacked him in his farm at Tyo-Mu community, near Makurdi, the state capital, yesterday morning.

The visibly shaken governor, who explained that the incident happened at about 11a.m, said it took the grace of God and the bravery of his security personnel to repel the attackers.

Ortom has been in the forefront of the fight against criminal herdsmen, claiming they had been killing his Benue people in their plot to take over their ancestral lands.

He ensured a law was enacted by the state House of Assembly against open grazing of cattle in the state as cattle destruction of farmlands has been a source of conflict between native farmers and herdsmen.

His statement reads;

“You know today is Saturday and it is normal as a farmer, I usually go to my farm on Saturdays”, the governor told journalists after the gun attack yesterday.

“So I went to my farm along Gboko Road and, while trekking out of the farm; on our way back, we started hearing gunshots and we saw people a little afar who were dressed in black and from experience, we..CONTINUE

More than any other region of Nigeria, Benue State has suffered incalculable tragedy at the hands of terrorist cattle herdsmen and their crop-destroying herds. Entire farming villages in Benue State have been wiped out by cattle-herding terrorists attacking in the dead of night, setting residences alight, and then hacking or shooting down all that run out of the burning buildings, be they men, women or children.

Governor Otom showed great bravery in prohibiting free cattle grazing in his state, which makes his narrow escape from terrorists while on his farm all the more fortunate for the man, and for his people. Hopefully, this near-miss will result in a dramatically beefed-up security presence around the governor, even during his off-duty hours.

1 Like

Re: Suspected Herdsmen Attack: "I Ran Kilometers To Escape Death – Gov Ortom by AsomughaChuks02: 7:55am On Mar 21, 2021
This is a sitting governor embarrassed like this and no one will be arrested for it because the culprits are fulani herdsmen who are causing mayhem across the whole country including Anambra state where they are now killing security and prison agents. Fulani herdsmen are using cows as disguise. They are not pastoralists but jihadists carrying out the wishes of their late Sardauna who vowed to dip the Koran into the Atlantic ocean. They succeeded in the south west but they have been having a hard time in the Eastern sector because Benue state is still standing firm. If Benue falls like Plateau state has fallen, they will just be on the border of Igbo land which will make Igbos the next focus of attacks.

1 Like

Re: Suspected Herdsmen Attack: "I Ran Kilometers To Escape Death – Gov Ortom by Jakumo(m): 7:57am On Mar 21, 2021
AsomughaChuks02:
This is a sitting governor embarrassed like this and no one will be arrested for it because the culprits are fulani herdsmen who are causing mayhem across the whole country including Anambra state where they are now killing security and prison agents. Fulani herdsmen are using cows as disguise. They are not pastoralists but jihadists carrying out the wishes of their late Sardauna who vowed to dip the Koran into the Atlantic ocean. They succeeded in the south west but they have been having a hard time in the Eastern sector because Benue state is still standing firm. If Benue falls like Plateau state has fallen, they will just be on the border of Igbo land which will make Igbos the next theatre of attacks.

This is very deep, thought-provoking stuff. Your finger is on the pulse of the nation, my brethren, and you have seen the future.
Re: Suspected Herdsmen Attack: "I Ran Kilometers To Escape Death – Gov Ortom by seunmsg(m): 7:57am On Mar 21, 2021
Sounds like how Dino Melaye climbed and stayed on a tree for 24 hours to avoid police arrest.

Anyway, the truth about what really happened in Benue yesterday will still come out.
Re: Suspected Herdsmen Attack: "I Ran Kilometers To Escape Death – Gov Ortom by egoriboy: 7:59am On Mar 21, 2021
What is this story circulating that the herds men attacked Dr Ortom, the Benue state governor? The Ipob and the Shiites were labeled terrorists organization and proscribed even when they don't carry arms, why are we treating these herdsmen like an NGO?
Re: Suspected Herdsmen Attack: "I Ran Kilometers To Escape Death – Gov Ortom by PrinceOfLagos: 8:02am On Mar 21, 2021
seunmsg:
Sounds like how Dino Melaye climbed and stayed on a tree for 24 hours to avoid police arrest.

Anyway, the truth about what really happened in Benue yesterday will still come out.
People like you shouldn't have access to the internet

. What a comment

(1) (Reply)

Are You A Graduate And Unemployment / Ugwumba Uche Nwosu Gifts Amputee Miss Mary Daniel With 1M To Start A Business / Acute Insecurity Not New In Nigeria: Lai Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.