Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,084 members, 7,811,041 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road (34109 Views)

Asaba To Maiduguri Via Abuja By Road (live Update). / Road Trip!!!!!!!! Lagos To Umuahia / Beautiful Drone Shots Of Maitama, Abuja By Nora Awolowo, A Female Drone Pilot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by speedfreak(m): 9:38am On Mar 21, 2021
Good morning all, I recently moved to Lagos for a new job, having been here for a year I am planning on going back to Abuja for Easter, not really a fan of public buses and due to the surge in traveling, Flight rates are astronomical for me and my fiancé, so driving would be my surest, most convenient and cheapest alternative.

I have gone through previous travel threads but they all seem outdated so I’m looking for an update.

I plan on leaving Thursday morning 5am, Im driving 2012 Honda Accord coupe. My questions would be:

1. First time driving such long distance, is it advisable? I’m not such a tough chap but I’m sure I can manage

2. How safe is the trip? With the kidnapping trend going on.

3. How much would it cost me to fuel? Car is a 4 cylinder without a cat (catalytic converter)

4. How rough will it be on the car? Car is less than 5months old, wouldn’t want to rough it up just yet.

5. How accurate is google maps? It estimates 12hrs through Ibadan and 14hrs through illorin.

Aside from the above any other advice or assistance would be welcomed.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Lavisha(f): 10:08am On Mar 21, 2021
Honda are good cars only if you maintain em.
to answer your questions;
I've done it from Lokoja to lag and back with my Accord 2007 and it was cool.
A full tank should do tho but without Cat? who knows?!
Meanwhile, you need to drive with dexterity by speeding and braking at the right times, some portions or the road are good while others are very bad, rough driving may damage you CD player, engine seats etc.
Google map is okay.

Godspeed.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by speedfreak(m): 10:14am On Mar 21, 2021
Lavisha:
Honda are good cars only if you maintain em.
to answer your questions;
I've done it from Lokoja to lag and back with my Accord 2007 and it was cool.
A full tank should do tho but without Cat? who knows?!
Meanwhile, you need to drive with dexterity by speeding and braking at the right times, some portions or the road are good while others are very bad, rough driving may damage you CD player, engine seats etc.
Google map is okay.

Godspeed.
Thank you for your response, car is in pretty good
shape,will be fitting new Tyres before I leave, a full tank and half would still be overly affordable compared to the price of flights

6 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by CaptainAyub: 10:31am On Mar 21, 2021
Flights are as cheap as 23,300naira currently if you book ahead,maybe 2 weeks earlier.
Why risk a road trip with all the wahala from Buhari's fulani brothers, bad roads,stress of driving etc?

193 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by loba18: 10:35am On Mar 21, 2021
Please do flight. Akure to Okene is very dangerous presently. The Ekitis as well.

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by aieromon(m): 10:43am On Mar 21, 2021
loba18:
Please do flight. Akure to Okene is very dangerous presently. The Ekitis as well.

When was the last time you plied the highway?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by speedfreak(m): 10:45am On Mar 21, 2021
CaptainAyub:
Flights are as cheap as 23,300naira currently if you book ahead,maybe 2 weeks earlier.
Why risk a road trip with all the wahala from Buhari's fulani brothers, bad roads,stress of driving etc?
Thank you sir, the trip was last minute, the topic just came up last night and all the flight deals I’ve seen are a little expensive. Can’t fly air peace so it’s just arik. That roughly 80k plus minus hotel and other expenses, fueling would cost a little over 30k both ways. I’m worried about safety tho, with madam in the car I’m not sure I’d want to take the risk undecided

4 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by aieromon(m): 10:51am On Mar 21, 2021
speedfreak:

5. How accurate is google maps? It estimates 12hrs through Ibadan and 14hrs through illorin.
Aside from the above any other advice or assistance would be welcomed

You have no business with Ilorin. You must hit the road as early as possible and prepare to spend the night on the road if you cannot get to Lokoja by 6pm.

Ibadan - Ado Ekiti - Omuo - Kabba - Obajana - Lokoja is a better choice than Ibadan - Akure - Kabba/Okene - Lokoja due to the lonely roads in the Akoko axis of the route.

NB : Google map estimate is totally different from the total number of hours you will spend on the road. There are currently 2 road constructions - Lokoja and Gwagwalada and you are likely to waste precious man hours in those locations.

Wishing you a safe trip.

77 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Crocif: 11:00am On Mar 21, 2021
First time driving such distance and with your fiance? I would advise against it. I have driving inter-state several times and my first was a trip to Oraifite in Anambra state. The farthest I have driving is to Enugu. My first time out, I went with a friend who can also drive just to be on the safe side.

A number of things can happen on the road, trust me when I say at those moments you would rather have someone who would end up being an asset than a liability. In my sojourn, I have had flat tires at ungodly hours and slept in a police station at some point etc and my friend proved very useful at those times.

If you must go on the trip I would advise that you do so with a friend who can drive and is street smart instead of your fiance. Though I plan to make a road trip myself, I would strongly urge you to take a flight. A return trip for you and your lady should be about N115,000 which I want to believe you can afford.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by icon02(m): 11:04am On Mar 21, 2021
aieromon:

You have no business with Ilorin. You must hit the road as early as possible and prepare to spend the night on the road if you cannot get to Lokoja by 6pm.

Ibadan - (Ado Ekiti) iwaraja - Omuo - Kabba - Obajana - Lokoja is a better choice than Ibadan - Akure - Kabba/Okene - Lokoja due to the lonely roads in the Akoko axis of the route.

NB : Google map estimate is totally different from the total number of hours you will spend on the road. There are currently 2 road constructions - Lokoja and Gwagwalada and you are likely to waste precious man hours in those locations.

Wishing you a safe trip.

1 Like

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by icon02(m): 11:05am On Mar 21, 2021
If you leave Lagos by 6am, you should be in abuja by 5 pm

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by speedfreak(m): 11:11am On Mar 21, 2021
aieromon:

Ibadan - Ado Ekiti - Omuo - Kabba - Obajana - Lokoja is a better choice than Ibadan - Akure - Kabba/Okene - Lokoja due to the lonely roads in the Akoko axis of the route.

Wishing you a safe trip.

Much appreciated

3 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by speedfreak(m): 11:13am On Mar 21, 2021
Crocif:
First time driving such distance and with your fiance? I would advise against it. I have driving inter-state several times and my first was a trip to Oraifite in Anambra state. The farthest I have driving is to Enugu. My first time out, I went with a friend who can also drive just to be on the safe side.

A number of things can happen on the road, trust me when I say at those moments you would rather have someone who would end up being an asset than a liability. In my sojourn, I have had flat tires at ungodly hours and slept in a police station at some point etc and my friend proved very useful at those times.

If you must go on the trip I would advise that you do so with a friend who can drive and is street smart instead of your fiance. Though I plan to make a road trip myself, I would strongly urge you to take a flight. A return trip for you and your lady should be about N115,000 which I want to believe you can afford.
Flown with them once and their customer relations is piss poor, if it isn’t arik, I’m better off driving. Thank you tho

8 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by speedfreak(m): 11:14am On Mar 21, 2021
icon02:
If you leave Lagos by 6am, you should be in abuja by 5 pm
Was planning to leave by 5am, beat early morning Lagos traffic

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Kingdemu: 11:16am On Mar 21, 2021
Do it man. Life is all about adventure.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Crocif: 11:20am On Mar 21, 2021
speedfreak:

Flown with them once and their customer relations is piss poor, if it isn’t arik, I’m better off driving. Thank you tho

Lol.

Has Arik improved? Last time I used them their time-wasting was something else. Anyways since it is not for business (with tight time-lines) I guess Arik is fine.

Safe trip either way.

5 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by speedfreak(m): 11:33am On Mar 21, 2021
Crocif:

Lol.

Has Arik improved? Last time I used them their time-wasting was something else. Anyways since it is not for business (with tight time-lines) I guess Arik is fine.

Safe trip either way.
Lol, they have, as long as you check in at least 30mins before the flight you’d have little or no problems, I like how they easily reschedule flights, in cabin ambiance and general professionalism, although the ground crew in Abuja can be very rude and annoying

5 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Crocif: 11:38am On Mar 21, 2021
speedfreak:

Lol, they have, as long as you check in at least 30mins before the flight you’d have little or no problems, I like how they easily reschedule flights, in cabin ambiance and general professionalism, although the ground crew in Abuja can be very rude and annoying

Lol. I may try them again. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by chronos00: 12:00pm On Mar 21, 2021
aieromon:

Wishing you a safe trip.

Yep, this right here.

If you don't get to Lokoja by 5pm, just prepare to either get to Abuja by midnight, or spend the night in Lokoja. The Gwagwalada construction sef would not be such an obstacle, but that Lokoja one is just crazy.

2 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Aanumi16: 12:10pm On Mar 21, 2021
Let me suggest a safer route for you, though it's long, you can ply the road anytime of the day.
Lagos - Enugu - Otukpo - Loko - Lafia - Abuja

From Otukpo to Abuja is just 3 hrs
Enugu to Otukpo is 2 to 3 hrs

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by aieromon(m): 12:21pm On Mar 21, 2021
Aanumi16:
Let me suggest a safer route for you, though it's long, you can ply the road anytime of the day.

Lagos to Abuja via Enugu?

Is this a joke

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by blackboy(m): 12:35pm On Mar 21, 2021
I did in 2014 Abuja to Lagos. First time by road.
1. Had not driven long distance before.
2. Relied on Nokia maps . The phone battery went off when I was in Kogi. The maps directed me through Kogi town through a barracks. Had to keep asking for directions.
3. If you travel on full tank you might need to buy another full tank before you get to destination.
4. We travellers had to park late into the night for fear armed robbery was taking place up the road.
5. Got to Lagos around past midnight. Left Abuja around 7am.
6. With the current state of bad roads and insecurity leave early 5am.
7. The police a major delay factor. They kept me for an hour saying I did not have MIR or whatever. Pray you dont fall into heartless police hands.
8. Enjoy your trip.

23 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by speedfreak(m): 1:52pm On Mar 21, 2021
Aanumi16:

This seems way too long, re routing through benue would add at least an extra 3 to 4 hrs. Thank you tho, I’ll just stick to the regular route and leave early

3 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Bigdre31: 1:55pm On Mar 21, 2021
I have a colleague leaving same day (I think ) Lagos - Abuja - Jos... Y'all could tag along ...
his location *Akoka

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:56pm On Mar 21, 2021
speedfreak:
Good morning all, I recently moved to Lagos for a new job, having been here for a year I am planning on going back to Abuja for Easter, not really a fan of public buses and due to the surge in traveling Flight rates are astronomical for me and my fiancé, so driving would be my surest, most convenient and cheapest alternative. I have gone through previous travel threads but they all seem dated so I’m looking for an update.
I plan on leaving Thursday morning 5am, Im driving 2012 Honda Accord coupe. My questions would be:
1. First time driving such long distance, is it advisable? I’m not such a tough chap but I’m sure I can manage
3. How much would it cost me to fuel? Car is a 4 cylinder without a cat(catalytic converter)
4. How rough will it be on the car? Car is less than 5months old, wouldn’t want to rough it up just yet
Cc
Gazzuzz
Nurey
Diportivo
Sheantip

Not a strong driver? Not worth it

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by speedfreak(m): 1:58pm On Mar 21, 2021
blackboy:
I did in 2014 Abuja to Lagos. First time by road.
1. Had not driven long distance before.
2. Relied on Nokia maps . The phone battery went off when I was in Kogi. The maps directed me through Kogi town through a barracks. Had to keep asking for directions.
3. If you travel on full tank you might need to buy another full tank before you get to destination.
4. We travellers had to park late into the night for fear armed robbery was taking place up the road.
5. Got to Lagos around past midnight. Left Abuja around 7am.
6. With the current state of bad roads and insecurity leave early 5am.
7. The police a major delay factor. They kept me for an hour saying I did not have MIR or whatever. Pray you dont fall into heartless police hands.
8. Enjoy your trip.
This was very detailed, I’ve also not driven long distance before, farthest I’ve driven was Abuja to Jos, I’m not really worried about fueling, Tyre wear and suspension are my major worries. I plan on leaving by 5am, peeled of my tints to avoid police wahala a long time ago but I’ll still keep change handy grin,thank you very much, we plan on enjoying the trip.

5 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by speedfreak(m): 2:14pm On Mar 21, 2021
Bigdre31:
I have a colleague leaving same day (I think ) Lagos - Abuja - Jos... Y'all could tag along ...
his location *Akoka
Is he driving? I wouldn’t mind company at least just to Abuja

2 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Cupidkc(m): 2:22pm On Mar 21, 2021
speedfreak:
Good morning all, I recently moved to Lagos for a new job, having been here for a year I am planning on going back to Abuja for Easter, not really a fan of public buses and due to the surge in traveling Flight rates are astronomical for me and my fiancé, so driving would be my surest, most convenient and cheapest alternative. I have gone through previous travel threads but they all seem dated so I’m looking for an update.
3. How much would it cost me to fuel? Car is a 4 cylinder without a cat(catalytic converter)
4. How rough will it be on the car? Car is less than 5months old, wouldn’t want to rough it up just yet
Cc
Gazzuzz
Nurey
Diportivo
Sheantip

First of all, you need to have the mind for such a long trip, because it's really a long one.
Haven't said that, you will be just fine.... Did the trip myself a week before Christmas last year, and totally relied on Google map. I guess Google directed me through Ibadan - Ado Ekiti - Omuo - Kabba - Obajana - Lokoja - Abuja route. Left Lagos by 6:45am and got to Abj by 8pm. Wasn't speeding so much because I was not conversant with the road. Used a tank and half because the car had a missing CAT and was a 2.4L engine.
Safe travels with your madam.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Bigdre31: 2:26pm On Mar 21, 2021
speedfreak:

Is he driving? I wouldn’t mind company at least just to Abuja

He is driving , presently on his way to Lagos from bauchi , last time we spoke , he was @ Ibilo 12;13pm

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by KnightsTemplar(m): 3:36pm On Mar 21, 2021
OP my question is how long have you been driving, if you've been driving for long, make the trip, even if it's on the negative, still drive yourself to Abuja, there is always a first time for everything. Sleep early, leave very early, you trust your car, your woman is there with you, buy bitter kola and Kola nut, in case express breeze starts telling you, " bros, close eyes small". I prefer driving than being driven, when it comes to long distance journeys. Do it, it's fun, just leave early.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by chronos00: 3:58pm On Mar 21, 2021
Aanumi16:

This person has obviously never made this trip before. May not even have made any interstate trips.

Otukpo to Abuja is 3 hours? By underground railway?

33 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Aanumi16: 4:38pm On Mar 21, 2021
chronos00:

This person has obviously never made this trip before. May not even have made any interstate trips.

Otukpo to Abuja is 3 hours? By underground railway?

Only suggested a safer route where you drive without worrying of being kidnapped or robbed. Might be wrong with the time.

Akoko - Okenne - Lokoja is the last route I will ever take, though a longer trip but will rather take Otukpo through oweto bridge as I suggested earlier or take Otukpa - Ayingba Ajaokuta - Lokoja. Nothing like peace of mind when driving.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Umahi Inspects Ebonyi International Airport, Promises To Complete It / Air Peace Launches International Operations (Photos) / Pictures Of The Ongoing Ikeja Along Bridge Construction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.