Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,500 members, 7,823,167 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road (34266 Views)

Asaba To Maiduguri Via Abuja By Road (live Update). / Road Trip!!!!!!!! Lagos To Umuahia / Beautiful Drone Shots Of Maitama, Abuja By Nora Awolowo, A Female Drone Pilot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Oluromantic: 11:27am On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:
Good morning all, I recently moved to Lagos for a new job, having been here for a year I am planning on going back to Abuja for Easter, not really a fan of public buses and due to the surge in traveling, Flight rates are astronomical for me and my fiancé, so driving would be my surest, most convenient and cheapest alternative.

I have gone through previous travel threads but they all seem outdated so I’m looking for an update.

I plan on leaving Thursday morning 5am, Im driving 2012 Honda Accord coupe. My questions would be:

1. First time driving such long distance, is it advisable? I’m not such a tough chap but I’m sure I can manage

2. How safe is the trip? With the kidnapping trend going on.

3. How much would it cost me to fuel? Car is a 4 cylinder without a cat (catalytic converter)

4. How rough will it be on the car? Car is less than 5months old, wouldn’t want to rough it up just yet.

5. How accurate is google maps? It estimates 12hrs through Ibadan and 14hrs through illorin.

Aside from the above any other advice or assistance would be welcomed.
It's cool. Just ask your family to prepare 500million as ransom in case of ..you know!
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 18, 2021
aieromon:

You have no business with Ilorin. You must hit the road as early as possible and prepare to spend the night on the road if you cannot get to Lokoja by 6pm.

Ibadan - Ado Ekiti - Omuo - Kabba - Obajana - Lokoja is a better choice than Ibadan - Akure - Kabba/Okene - Lokoja due to the lonely roads in the Akoko axis of the route.

NB : Google map estimate is totally different from the total number of hours you will spend on the road. There are currently 2 road constructions - Lokoja and Gwagwalada and you are likely to waste precious man hours in those locations.

Wishing you a safe trip.

Just an update: The gwagwalada section of the road has been completed.

3 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 18, 2021
Aanumi16:
Let me suggest a safer route for you, though it's long, you can ply the road anytime of the day.
Lagos - Enugu - Otukpo - Loko - Lafia - Abuja

From Otukpo to Abuja is just 3 hrs
Enugu to Otukpo is 2 to 3 hrs
grin

What of Lagos to Enugu, is it 2 hours ?
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Tushmanny123: 11:29am On Sep 18, 2021
Instead of you to ask how much ransom you should budget... Only commercial drivers tgat are familiar with the system know the best time and route to embark on such journey .... I pity who no pity you.
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by anambraamaka: 11:30am On Sep 18, 2021
Hey don't try it, rather use flight biko
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Crixxx: 11:32am On Sep 18, 2021
Make sure you're car is serviced all round and fill the tank.
Start the journey as early as and make sure the car is balanced. Hold some cash with you & keep commiting into God's hands. Kidnappers won't see you. Finally drive responsibly because there are lots of crazy people on the highway.

4 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Ebonycrux2: 11:34am On Sep 18, 2021
The road I very bad don’t give it a trial, use the public transport. I went to Ibadan two weeks ago I spent 12 hours from Lokoja to Ibadan.
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by tradepunter: 11:34am On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:

Thank you sir, the trip was last minute, the topic just came up last night and all the flight deals I’ve seen are a little expensive. Can’t fly air peace so it’s just arik. That roughly 80k plus minus hotel and other expenses, fueling would cost a little over 30k both ways. I’m worried about safety tho, with madam in the car I’m not sure I’d want to take the risk undecided

Boss if you have the money book and pay for the flight..

It's a risk you taking sha, although I know many who have travelled back and forth and no wahala..... But the truth is that the money you saving will be double if the eventuality happens.

For God sake you are working, that money will come back 2-3 months from now.. please let's think with long term mindset.

If the money is there and not enough for both, then let you wife stay behind if it's not necessary to carry her along.

Then you take flight and go do your thing... Flight is not about big boy or rich boy thing now. The country a burning, we are technically at war, so your safety comes first.

10 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by gbagyiza: 11:35am On Sep 18, 2021
Please, in your next trip for security reasons don't disclose the date n the mode of your movement in public space bc you can't trust anybody for now. Always seek for information in more logical way.

6 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Pzpropertylimit(m): 11:36am On Sep 18, 2021
Na risk ooo . If it's not worth taking flight , no need of coming . Make video calls if na person u wan come see

1 Like

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Nobody: 11:36am On Sep 18, 2021
This is the worse time to be travelling on the road from North to West.

2 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Oppy2k2: 11:39am On Sep 18, 2021
Make sure you have passed okene/anyingba before 4, he get why?
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by SIRKAY98(m): 11:40am On Sep 18, 2021
Dont do the trip with road. take flight. be warned
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by MichaelSokoto(m): 11:40am On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:
Good morning all, I recently moved to Lagos for a new job, having been here for a year I am planning on going back to Abuja for Easter, not really a fan of public buses and due to the surge in traveling, Flight rates are astronomical for me and my fiancé, so driving would be my surest, most convenient and cheapest alternative.

I have gone through previous travel threads but they all seem outdated so I’m looking for an update.

I plan on leaving Thursday morning 5am, Im driving 2012 Honda Accord coupe. My questions would be:

1. First time driving such long distance, is it advisable? I’m not such a tough chap but I’m sure I can manage

3. How much would it cost me to fuel? Car is a 4 cylinder without a cat (catalytic converter)

4. How rough will it be on the car? Car is less than 5months old, wouldn’t want to rough it up just yet.

5. How accurate is google maps? It estimates 12hrs through Ibadan and 14hrs through illorin.

1. Prepare ur kidnap ransom money for Benin/Auchi express road kidnappers.

2. Condition ur car tyres and suspensions for Kogi headache-filled rocky roads.

3. Las las d whole road is not safe, bandits be lurkin around in Abuja road axis.

Good luck!
cool

4 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Bigchristo: 11:42am On Sep 18, 2021
Lavisha:
Honda are good cars only if you maintain em.
to answer your questions;
I've done it from Lokoja to lag and back with my Accord 2007 and it was cool.
A full tank should do tho but without Cat? who knows?!
Meanwhile, you need to drive with dexterity by speeding and braking at the right times, some portions or the road are good while others are very bad, rough driving may damage you CD player, engine seats etc.
Google map is okay.

Godspeed.
You refused to advise him or her about kidnapping, to pay ransom is more expensive than 65k flight tickets grin grin

1 Like

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by harmargedon: 11:42am On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:

oga!!! No try am o. Such driving are done by experts and not just regular drivers. It's better you use GIGM or GUO to travel. You can use their first class bus.
Driving long distance gets boring to a point you can even fall asleep while driving, there are also crazy people on highway. Vehicles run a minimum of 80km/hr, even trucks too. And you cannot trust Google map in times like these. To be on a safer side, just use the above options I gave you.

1 Like

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by MichaelSokoto(m): 11:45am On Sep 18, 2021
Kingdemu:
Do it man. Life is all about adventure.
wit fiance/fiancee?

angry

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by ricardovincente(m): 11:45am On Sep 18, 2021
I did it severally with my Baby Boy v6 (Accord 2001). It is a very interesting experience. But make your car no go spoil o. You will be so far away from home. Plus, our security situation is so so poor. You really need some prayers and have to be careful.

1 Like

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by ricardovincente(m): 11:47am On Sep 18, 2021
I will advise however that you break the journey and make it two days. Have a stopover mid-way and sleep over abeg.

4 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by annyz: 11:57am On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:

I’d appreciate the connect, I’m leaving Thursday morning. Pls reach me on 0903 628 8283

Please be careful now that you have share your mobile # okay?
Best wishes

1 Like

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Poopypants: 11:58am On Sep 18, 2021
Kcalas:
Beware of Fulani herdsmen

[b]I'm personally giving out loan to fee people here on Nairaland for business purpose. I wish to startup a loan shark business but want to test my knowledge here on Nairaland first and see how it goes before going fully into it. Hence i want to start with 3 million here as a test and see how it goes and how profitable it is. Maximum amount I'm giving out to a person is 500k. Minimum is 100k. I have done an intensive research from various loan companies and I know how it works and I heard it's profitable. My loan terms include:

* NO COLLATERAL
* INTENSIVE VERIFICATION PROCESS
* LOAN FOR BUSINESS PURPOSE ONLY.
* EVERY STATE IN NIGERIA IS WELCOME
* MONTHLY INTEREST RATE OF 3%
* LOAN MAXIMUM DURATION REPAID PERIOD OF NOT MORE THAN 6 MONTHS.
* PHYSICAL VERIFICATION APLLIED WHERE NEEDED.

Chat me up on WhatsApp 07061444857[/b]this is a scam, for whomever that’s interested
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Lavisha(f): 12:00pm On Sep 18, 2021
Bigchristo:
You refused to advise him or her about kidnapping, to pay ransom is more expensive than 65k flight tickets grin grin

Nahh..
No kidnapping on that axis anymore..
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by April4th(m): 12:02pm On Sep 18, 2021
Bros the road is in a terrible state, especially from Akoko-Kabba-Lokoja. Either travel by public transport or flight is safer.
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:

Thank you sir, the trip was last minute, the topic just came up last night and all the flight deals I’ve seen are a little expensive. Can’t fly air peace so it’s just arik. That roughly 80k plus minus hotel and other expenses, fueling would cost a little over 30k both ways. I’m worried about safety tho, with madam in the car I’m not sure I’d want to take the risk undecided

If kidnapped, the RANSOM will run to millions. So, 80k is comparatively low! Follow your mind o.

1 Like

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by April4th(m): 12:05pm On Sep 18, 2021
Lavisha:

Nahh..

Who told you that lie? Didn’t you hear that bandit attacked that expressway between kabba and lokoja last week. Killed policemen and soldiers, also attacked the medium security prison on that highway.

4 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by ToneroInc: 12:05pm On Sep 18, 2021
aieromon:

You have no business with Ilorin. You must hit the road as early as possible and prepare to spend the night on the road if you cannot get to Lokoja by 6pm.

Ibadan - Ado Ekiti - Omuo - Kabba - Obajana - Lokoja is a better choice than Ibadan - Akure - Kabba/Okene - Lokoja due to the lonely roads in the Akoko axis of the route.

NB : Google map estimate is totally different from the total number of hours you will spend on the road. There are currently 2 road constructions - Lokoja and Gwagwalada and you are likely to waste precious man hours in those locations.

Wishing you a safe trip.

Gwagwalada is crystal clear as we speak. The construction is done and dusted.

Even with the present security issues traveling by toad at night seems to be the safest. But I won’t throw more light on this as many people would want to counter it.

Bros... where in Lagos are you guys taking off from? Leaving by 5am will do the magic. You’d maintain normal speed, get to Lokoja before 6pm; then use the opportunity of the Kwali-Abaji-Gwagwalada-Airport Road that smooth and sweet to cover up for the bad roads.

You and your wife no go fall.

2 Likes

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Lavisha(f): 12:07pm On Sep 18, 2021
April4th:

Who told you that lie? Didn’t you hear that bandit attacked that expressway between kabba and lokoja last week. Killed policemen and soldiers, also attacked the medium security prison on that highway.

Heard about the prison break at Kabba, but killing of force men?! nah.
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Bigchristo: 12:08pm On Sep 18, 2021
Lavisha:

Nahh..

Okay o let me believe you
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by April4th(m): 12:11pm On Sep 18, 2021
Lavisha:

Heard about the prison break at Kabba, but killing of force men?! nah.

Those soldiers and policemen mounting checkpoints on that axis were killed. Passed through that road some hrs after the incident.
Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by Damoche10: 12:16pm On Sep 18, 2021
Travelling by air is better. Don't risk it!!

1 Like

Re: Road Trip: Lagos To Abuja By Road by 10mobile: 12:17pm On Sep 18, 2021
speedfreak:

This was in March. What was your experience like eventually?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Experience With South African Immigration At Port Of Entry. / Fiberesima Ama: A Hidden Island In Rivers State (Video) / FG Buys Calibration Aircraft Worth ₦3.1 Billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.