Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,903 members, 7,810,475 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:45 AM

Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him (25734 Views)

Nigerian Caregiver Jailed In UAE For Staying 30-minutes In The Bathroom / Meet Dele Taiwo, Magistrate In Ondo State (Photos) / Magistrate Denies A Muslim Counsel Audience For Wearing Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Doraty1(f): 2:19pm On Mar 23, 2021
An Abuja Magistrate, Ibrahim Mohammed has ordered policemen at the court to arrest and handcuff a lawyer, Eburu Ekwe Barth, for challenging him on the summary of the case before the court.

The Magistrate of Court 2, Wuse Zone 6, Abuja thereafter sentenced Ekwe to two months in prison for contempt in the face of the court.

The lawyer was thereafter handcuffed and led out of the courtroom.

A lawyer present during the dramatic court proceeding told BarristerNG that the lawyer’s crime was that he interjected when the magistrate was delivering a ruling on an application by the the opposing lawyer.

The lawyer’s ground of interjection was that the magistrate was ascribing what he never said to him in his ruling. The lawyer further queried whether there was a conspiracy between the magistrate and the plaintiff’s lawyer.

His interjection angered the magistrate and he immediately ordered his arrest and sentenced him for contempt.

Pleas for mercy made by many lawyers present during the proceedings were ignored by the judge.

The lawyer was taken to Suleja Correctional Centre.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/abuja-magistrate-orders-lawyer-handcuffed-jailed-for-challenging-him/

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Omihanifa: 2:25pm On Mar 23, 2021
This is clearly an Abuse of power, why can't the magistrate simply report him to NJC so that the lawyer can be sanctioned instead of sending him to suleja prisons undecided

the story is looking as if the magistrate used the available opportunity to take his own pound of flesh for an old beef undecided

155 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by judetov2(m): 2:29pm On Mar 23, 2021
lol....this is Nigeria

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by AmOnline(f): 2:49pm On Mar 23, 2021
shocked

1 Like

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by ijewejones: 3:08pm On Mar 23, 2021
Nigeria is a country where anybody,everybody intimidates one another(especially the subordinates when it is in an institution settings)

Assume it to be on a neutral ground,that lawyer & the magistrate for dey put legs inside one trousers.. grin

Nothing person never hear when it comes to Nigeria

16 Likes

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by fluther43: 3:08pm On Mar 23, 2021
Hahahahahahaha
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by VictoriaNkechi(f): 3:08pm On Mar 23, 2021
nothing new here. 9ja no be country again

9 Likes

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by olaboy33(m): 3:08pm On Mar 23, 2021
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by AMvanquish: 3:08pm On Mar 23, 2021
Power intoxicates.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Imustreturn(m): 3:08pm On Mar 23, 2021
Wahala
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by iamyemiakins(m): 3:08pm On Mar 23, 2021
Wahala be like wetin again
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Queenlovely(f): 3:08pm On Mar 23, 2021
. grin .

25 Likes

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Kellie069(m): 3:09pm On Mar 23, 2021
All those yeye half baked lawyers way sabi talk anyhow

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Hambivert: 3:09pm On Mar 23, 2021
"Abeg o! No be me talk wetin you say I talk o!" just landed innocent Barth in prison.

That's why I refrain from being emotional first. He could have simply applied for redress after the ruling, but no, he was emotionally engaged with the case.

But Justice Ibrahim must you be a corrupt and wicked man at the same time
You just sparogated the life of an innocent man.

27 Likes

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by BigSarah(f): 3:09pm On Mar 23, 2021
shocked is that legal? No physical assault....
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by boolet: 3:10pm On Mar 23, 2021
Naija na joke... cruise na just the euphemism.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by OBALOLA55(m): 3:10pm On Mar 23, 2021
grin

WE DIE HERE.

BUT WHERE IS THAT ABD-FULANI CALLED ADADIKE undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Mindlog: 3:10pm On Mar 23, 2021
He went to defend his client's case and ended up in a correctional facility!

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by landmark86: 3:10pm On Mar 23, 2021
But dos useless Magistrates can't send our polithief to prison.

14 Likes

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by remigiusizunna(m): 3:10pm On Mar 23, 2021
Wahala be like sanitary pad, e too dey shift
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Wovoban: 3:10pm On Mar 23, 2021
Lol.
Only happen in Shit hole country

4 Likes

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Barrywilly(m): 3:10pm On Mar 23, 2021
It was wrong for the lawyer to be interrupting the magistrate while delivering his ruling. The best option is to appeal the ruling on the basis of his perceived wrongs. He deserved what he got even though it was wrong for the magistrate to take law into his own hand. You cannot be an accuser and the judge at the same time.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by dotna(m): 3:11pm On Mar 23, 2021
Power of being a Judge

2005 Madza MPV forsale at a good price. Foreign used and Custom cleared.
https://www.nairaland.com/6443426/2005-madza-mpv-forsale
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by StephenUchec(m): 3:11pm On Mar 23, 2021
Nothing musa nogo see for gate
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Dotherightthing: 3:11pm On Mar 23, 2021
ah ahn
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by mcmbonu: 3:11pm On Mar 23, 2021
B
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by tinktanker: 3:11pm On Mar 23, 2021
Ibrahim, I am not surprised. They lie on ppls head a lot and force u to accept it. Na their way

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Swerve4me: 3:11pm On Mar 23, 2021
Premiumwriter:
Holla!

If you are scared of a seller running away with your money when you pay for a product or service online, you might want to consider using my escrow service.

If you are also scared of ending up with sub-standard items or being sent the wrong item with no way to redeem yourself, you should consider my escrow service.

Trust is a necessity for closing any business deal whether online or offline.

My escrow service is here to promote that trust and help both buyers and sellers transact effortlessly and without any fear of getting duped.

As an escrow service provider, I'll be the third-party in any transaction you'll carry out online.

If you are paying for anything online, I'll hold your money in trust. This way your buyers will only get the money when you are satisfied with the items you receive.

See reviews of my services on nairaland by nairalanders!

As a seller, if you are finding it difficult to convince your customers about the credibility of your business, you might want to ask them to use my escrow service. That way, they will be sure of getting their items and this will facilitate smoother transactions for your business.

My fee is from as low as N300 to N1,000 which can be shared by both the buyer and seller. I believe this is a small price to pay for the safety of your funds and trusts.

WhatsApp me on: 2347055822849

What if we are also scared your escrow service will run away with the money?

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by TroubleMaker47(m): 3:11pm On Mar 23, 2021
Useless bribe taking judge

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why I Dropped My Degree To Become A Taxi Driver - Abuja-based Female Taxi Driver / Bad Money Habits And How To Break Them / Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.