Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,995 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria (26385 Views)

Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal / Russia 2018: Leagues Represented The Most In The Quarter Finals / Mikel Obi Says He's Surprised The Referee Refused To Award Them A Penalty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by robosky02(m): 3:55pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mikel Obi confirms that Antonio Conte benched him at Chelsea because he represented Nigeria at the Olympics

Mikel reveals he walked out of a meeting with Conte because of this issue.

Former Super Eagles captain Mikel Obi has revealed that his Italian coach Antonio Conte punished him at Chelsea for representing Nigeria at the 2016 Olympic Games.

Mikel captained Nigeria's U23 side that won the Bronze medal of the Olympics' football event.

But when he returned to Chelsea, the midfielder was ostracised by Conte and never played for the club again before leaving in the next transfer window.

The veteran midfielder revealed that Conte told him that he wouldn't be part of the team if he chose to represent Nigeria at the Olympics.

"This guy who has just walked in the door for five minutes is telling me I had to choose. He was saying, 'If you do that, you won't be a part of this team'," Mikel told The Athletic.

"I spoke to the club and told them that I wanted to go. The club respected me because of what I had done for them and how long I'd been there.

"So off I went, and I felt punished for that. I came back, and I didn't make the squad. I was never in the squad list on matchdays again."

After his maltreatment, Mikel said the Italian manager called a meeting with him in an attempt to reinstate him back to the team but he walked out on him and left for China shortly after.

"The funny thing is, just before the January window was going to start, he came up to me and said 'I want a meeting with you', Mikel further said.

"This was after making me train on my own for months, treating a player who had been at Chelsea for a long time like this!

"When he tried to meet with me he was like, 'Let's try and make up, I will need you in the team, let's squash this, blah, blah, blah!'.

"I was like, 'Are you joking?! Are you f****** serious?!' He knew I wanted out. I stood up and walked out of the room. You can't disrespect a human being like that."

John Obi Mikel won the Champions League with Chelsea in 2012

Chelsea spent 10 and a half years at Chelsea and won several top titles, including two Premier League, a Champions League, Europa League and three FA Cup titles.

Conte managed Chelsea for just two seasons and won the Premier League in his first and the FA Cup in his second.

This is not the first time Mikel is talking about how he gave up his Chelsea career to represent Nigeria at the Olympics.

The reports have always been there, although Mikel first chose to ignore it. Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr first revealed it in 2016 when he said, "there is a reason why Mikel is not playing for Chelsea right now and that reason is that he played for Nigeria at the Olympics."

Mikel, who was still at Chelsea at that time, quickly released a statement to deny Rohr's comment.

"To be absolutely clear, Mr Conte and Chelsea were always supportive of my captaincy of the Nigerian team at Rio," Mikel stressed in the statement.

A year later, his friend Emmanuel Sarki, a former Chelsea player, also revealed that the midfielder was dropped from the Chelsea squad because he chose to go to the Olympics.

"I was told how Conte treated Mikel after his decision to represent Nigeria at the Rio 2016 Olympics," Sarki told Own Goal Nigeria in 2017.

At a Super Eagles press conference around after Sarki's comment, Mikel refused to confirm or deny Sarki's allegation.

In June 2019, Mikel finally admitted that he was untreated unfairly because of the Olympics.

"I went, I came back, the managers never spoke to me again, didn't put me in the team, then I said 'okay fine' and I left," Mikel said in a Youtube interview on the Super Eagles.

Mikel currently plays for English Championship side Stoke City.

www.pulse.ng/sports/football/mikel-obi-confirms-that-antonio-conte-benched-him-at-chelsea-because-he-represented/b1e6c8v

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by Akakanfirstclass(m): 3:57pm On Mar 25, 2021
mehnnnn...

is this Racist or Olympics ?...

working with a team in which the boss is always antagonistic towards you is the biggest vibe killer... no matter how hard you try, you will never be good enough..
it is better he left..

hate or no hate..
still naija to the world

69 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by Tolexander: 3:58pm On Mar 25, 2021
Former Super Eagles captain Mikel Obi has revealed that his Italian coach Antonio Conte punished him at Chelsea for representing Nigeria at the 2016 Olympic Games.
Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by mbahdi(m): 5:39pm On Mar 25, 2021
U mean same way Benin will bench u guys sorry ass come Saturday
Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by Authoreety: 5:40pm On Mar 25, 2021
Ok
Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:40pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mikel Obi confirms that Antonio Conte benched him at Chelsea because he represented Nigeria at the Olympics
Another definition of a true patriot.
Our darling Mikel, we true, sane, good, honest, and hardworking Nigerians will always love you to the moon and back.
We appreciate all that you have done for our darling nation.
That is why you are the most decorated Nigerian player ever!
You are a great man.
Say hello to your beautiful Angels biko, not forgetting their beautiful mom..
kiss kiss kiss

This act of love and patriotism brought back some memories to us @MANNA,
It was in his inaugural address that John F. Kennedy spoke his famous words, 'ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.'
This use of chiasmus can be seen even as a thesis statement of his speech, a call to action for the public to do what is right for the greater good.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by millionboi(m): 5:40pm On Mar 25, 2021
Thy didn't invite him
Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:40pm On Mar 25, 2021
mbahdi:
U mean same way Benin will bench u guys sorry ass come Saturday
Stop saying nonsense......

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by Hugomexis(m): 5:40pm On Mar 25, 2021
Even if you didn't go for olympics Mikel,you'd have still been on the bench.

Your were benched because you weren't good enough simple.

Who Mikel wan bench for Chelsea midfield that time?

Shey na Kante abi Matic abi Fabregas??

Baba just shut up abeg

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by EricSmallz(m): 5:41pm On Mar 25, 2021
What's the Relevance of this story, for Wetin dey Ground for Nigeria so?
Abegeee

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by aBrokeRichDude: 5:41pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mk i book space ... till i get watin i wan talk....

Mama Osaro abeg this ur soup nr go reach ooo angry

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by slawormiir: 5:41pm On Mar 25, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by ThumbzTNA(m): 5:42pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mikel Obi is a more patriotic Nigerian than all our politicians. He sacrificed his career in Chelsea for Nigeria. How many Nigerian politicians can sacrifice even their hair for this country?

Tiri gbosa for him

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by Taxkollectoo: 5:42pm On Mar 25, 2021
Too bad
Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by kheny12(m): 5:42pm On Mar 25, 2021
most of the European coaches are racists,thank God for our senior player Mikel obi.

4 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:42pm On Mar 25, 2021
A wise man once said..........

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by Nobody: 5:42pm On Mar 25, 2021
Buhari Sef
Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by kingthreat(m): 5:43pm On Mar 25, 2021
Every coach comes with their own craze. But Conte is weird though. Sent Diego Costa an SMS that he wont be playing for Chelsea anymore after they celebrated Chelsea's last league trophy together.

28 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by Ayo2004: 5:43pm On Mar 25, 2021
Chinese football anytime anyday grin
I go too pack babes with that kin salary
Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by echibuzor: 5:43pm On Mar 25, 2021
And you are telling us this now because why?�
Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by SILVERLINES: 5:43pm On Mar 25, 2021
cheesy
Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by jhydebaba(m): 5:44pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mikel, the greatest Nigerian footballer dead or alive. Argue with ur screen angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by eedimo(m): 5:44pm On Mar 25, 2021
He shouldn't have retired so soon.
Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by emmabest2000(m): 5:44pm On Mar 25, 2021
coward
Why opening up now?

That is why I like Eto
He will speak it out to the world at that particular moment, no jejere

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by themonk(m): 5:45pm On Mar 25, 2021
Akakanfirstclass:
mehnnnn...

is this Racist or Olympics ?...

working with a team in which the boss is always antagonistic towards you is the biggest vibe killer... no matter how hard you try, you will never be good enough..
it is better he left..

hate or no hate..
still naija to the world

Everything smells like racism to you people, the victim has stated the reason why what happened happened and never involved race but somewhere, somehow someone has to bring race into it. undecided undecided

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by molik05(m): 5:46pm On Mar 25, 2021
But we Nigerian are proud of you for always represent your country....

10 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by Virus99: 5:47pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mikel Obi deserve a fanfare when he retired from the Super Eagle.

But here, we don't respect nor remember our heroes.

Where's Rashidi Yekini today cry

19 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by Edutours1717: 5:48pm On Mar 25, 2021
B
Re: Mikel Obi Says That Conte Benched Him At Chelsea Because He Represented Nigeria by KingKingKing: 5:48pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mikel the worst midfielder to ever play for the National team.

We lost that World cup game against France in 2014 because onazi got injured and Mikel who was to man the midfield was woeful.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

David Beckham Wins 2017-18 UEFA President Award (Photos) / Vincent Enyeama: Lille Celebrates Nigeria's Former Number 1 Goalkeeper / A Call For Disbandment Of This Present Super Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.