Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,120 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal (51275 Views)

Throwback Picture Of Mercy Akide And Nwankwo Kanu At The 1999 CAF Awards / Okocha Consoling Kanu At AFCON 2000 Finals (Throwback Photo) / Jay-Jay Okocha And Nwankwo Kanu In A Group Photo With World Football Greats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by ackim: 3:47pm On Nov 02, 2019
France legend, Thierry Henry has revealed how he managed to keep Nigeria hero, Kanu Nwankwo on the bench during their time at Arsenal.

Kanu and Dennis Bergkamp were initially ahead of Henry in Arsene Wenger’s pecking order of strikers when he joined the North London club from Juventus in the 1999-2000 season.

The former France striker and 1998 World Cup winner admitted that he struggled in his first few months at Arsenal before forcing his way into the starting line-up.

The Frenchman became untouchable world class striker at Arsenal, scoring a remarkable 228 goals over the course of 377 games which made him the club’s record goalscorer in history.

Speaking on Jamie Carragher’s Greatest Game podcast, Henry said, ”The game that changed everything for me was Middlesbrough at home in November, my first season.

“We won 5-1 with three goals from Overmars and two from Bergkamp. Kanu was playing and Suker came on. I stayed on the bench.

”It’s November now. I scored Southampton and then I am not doing anything again. After that game home, I went back and I actually took the tube. I walked amongst the fans and nobody saw me….

”By doing that you have to be good, you can’t be sitting here saying this and that. You play and don’t score.

”When people saw me starting to play on the left, cutting the ball back, goal and assist. Let me move a bit then. Scoring a goal from outside of the box.

”People are like he’s a bit different. Before people are accepting of what you are, you have to give them something to allow you to be you.

“That game was very important for me in realising what I needed to do.

”I needed to wake up really early if I wanted to move Dennis Bergkamp and Kanu. You come after Anelka who was destroying the league.”

https://www.reportminds.com/2019/11/epl-thierry-henry-reveals-how-he.html?m=1

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Jestin: 8:33am On Nov 03, 2019
Kanu was one of the best in Arsenal but was not highly appreciated maybe because of his skin color.

FTC

75 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by 01mcfadden(m): 8:33am On Nov 03, 2019
Lol

You need to go the extra miles to stay ahead the best.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by NwaAmaikpe: 8:33am On Nov 03, 2019
shocked

Thierry Henry.
Role model like no other.

Player so good that even the British Monarchy couldn't resist going back in time to name their Kings after him.

Below is an accurate ranking of all time greatests of soccer.
After C.Ronaldo, there is Pele, then there is Henry, after which is Zidane, then Eusebio before Maradona..
Then a Messi far behind him.

181 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Inception(m): 8:34am On Nov 03, 2019
grin

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by adewumiopeyemi(m): 8:34am On Nov 03, 2019
Ok
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by BUSHHUNTER: 8:35am On Nov 03, 2019
I would av been happy if you had won champions league with Arsenal.

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by OyinO: 8:35am On Nov 03, 2019
Nonsense!
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Tonymegabush1(m): 8:35am On Nov 03, 2019
Mmm.... A lesson for every player that desire to b great, its not always a questn of why am i not playing but "the little time given to me what change did i bring to the team.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Nobody: 8:35am On Nov 03, 2019
Goat
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Tonymegabush1(m): 8:36am On Nov 03, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nigga 2day na sunday oo so better behave

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by lewis512(m): 8:36am On Nov 03, 2019
Yes, you try Even though he will lose like 5 goals before scoring one ... IGWE is a legend sha

2 Likes

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by iCauseTrouble: 8:36am On Nov 03, 2019
cool
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by SirHouloo(m): 8:36am On Nov 03, 2019
kanu, the man Chelsea will never forget.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Sholaco: 8:36am On Nov 03, 2019
Who they both help undecided
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by TwentyOnePilots(m): 8:36am On Nov 03, 2019
Kanu: Henry, you no well grin grin grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by IamPatriotic(m): 8:37am On Nov 03, 2019
Henry was kilometers ahead of Kanu, even Wiltord, Bergkamp, Pires were all better than Kanu, but he was a good player, better than anyone among the current crops of Arsenal and Super Eagle players.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Goldencheese(m): 8:37am On Nov 03, 2019
OK. Thank you but we still love our own Kanu.

7 Likes

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Kpilo101: 8:37am On Nov 03, 2019
LEGEND
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by abumeinben(m): 8:38am On Nov 03, 2019

I went back and I actually took the tube. I walked amongst the fans and nobody saw me…

The power of feedback... The one thing most Nigerian-owned one man businesses don't know about.

bikerboy1:

How does this relate to picking the tube?

If you're asking to know, I can help you.
He could have used his sport car but decided to have an idea of fans impression of him. Well you could see the movie - Darkest Hour to really get the gist.

If you're asking to..... well I don't know.
I can't help you.

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by hundu: 8:38am On Nov 03, 2019
Kanuoooo!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by gazza07(m): 8:40am On Nov 03, 2019
Jestin:
Kano was one of the best in Arsenal but was not highly appreciated maybe because of his skin color.

FTC
Kano?? undecided

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by OKorowanta: 8:40am On Nov 03, 2019
Jestin:
Kano was one of the best in Arsenal but was not highly appreciated maybe because of his skin color.

FTC

Hmmmm
We don hear.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Jokerman(m): 8:41am On Nov 03, 2019
Henry was just a premiership champion until Barca changed his fortunes

Thank God for Cristiano Ronaldo that paved the way for EPL players in Europe smiley

8 Likes

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Lanre4uonly(m): 8:41am On Nov 03, 2019
Ok. It is noted.
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by braimeddy: 8:41am On Nov 03, 2019
You lie there. Kanu was much appreciated. His time came and he excel. When henry came, he was much better so kanu was benched
Jestin:

FTC

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by movid(m): 8:41am On Nov 03, 2019
I have seen someone, thank you.
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Nobody: 8:43am On Nov 03, 2019
Hope he is still playng

1 Like 7 Shares

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 03, 2019
Who else doesn't understand what was written up there?

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by 9jaBloke: 8:49am On Nov 03, 2019
Igwe

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jefferson Louis, The Only Footballer Who Has Played For 36 Clubs In His Career / AFCON 2019: How Nigeria Defeated Cameroon In Pictures / Why Iheanachọ's Name Has Two Dots Under

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.