Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,618 members, 7,823,704 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu (5485 Views)

Ikem ​bridge Collapses And Cuts Off Enugu, Benue, Ebonyi Communities (Photos) / 34-year-old Enugu-ebonyi Bridge Collapses / Gov. Obi Launches N300m Road Project In Onitsha. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by denex: 1:06am On Jul 10, 2007
@babadee

ya eye too sharp O! I thought I was the only one that noticed. Yar is like a twin of Bugsy, even the way they both smile.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by BlackMamba(m): 2:36am On Jul 10, 2007
A governor that cornered local government subventions, while giving his self appointed cronies handout to act as local govt chairmen. EFCC complied loads of allegations of misappropriation of public funds and ended up indicting a few of his kitchen cabinet while he was hiding under the cover of immunity. Despite the overwhelming accusations against this crazy dog, Obasanjo was foolishly dancing around Enugu a couple of weeks before the last election, touting Chimaroke Nnamani as one of the best things that happened to his administration. Am I shocked? Of course not. Anyone with links to the Coal City knows what the deal is. Thank God more projects may not be crashing down since they are structure from previous administrations that he repainted and renamed. Kudos to Obasanjo for using federal might to to unleash one of his mad dogs on Wawa people for eight years.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by naijaway(m): 2:48am On Jul 10, 2007
From Backslider, "we have to use our youths to work. This Ajebutter go to school and learn sit in the office should stop. Education should not be a class thing"
Men, backslider, that na true talk. Everybody wants to be accountant, studying finance, studying some form of banking; which is cool because they are also needed but stuffs like engineers, physicist, and u know manufacturers, stuffs like we need eg water and piping, and making the pipes not importing it and also filtering the water it, made with research is really lacking in our atmosphere.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by OgidiBoy(m): 3:11am On Jul 10, 2007
naijaway:

From Backslider, "we have to use our youths to work. This Ajebutter go to school and learn sit in the office should stop. Education should not be a class thing"
Men, backslider, that na true talk. Everybody wants to be accountant, studying finance, studying some form of banking; which is cool because they are also needed but stuffs like engineers, physicist, and u know manufacturers, stuffs like we need eg water and piping, and making the pipes not importing it and also filtering the water it, made with research is really lacking in our atmosphere.

I maybe wrong, I believe Nigerian has a lot of engineers, physicists and people in the manufacturing fields. Our problem back home is that most of these people just want to have that office job sit around in the office all day and push paper and oh lets not forget riding around in an official air conditioned vehicle.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by naijaway(m): 3:32am On Jul 10, 2007
see ur view ogidiboy, but thats why nigeria is lacking cuz lots of people think the bosses only sit in the office.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Everbright(f): 7:05am On Jul 10, 2007
Na wa oo
So na so we love our country reach?
Who are these contractors?
And who awarded the contract?
May God in His infinite mercy deliver us AMEN!!
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 10, 2007
this is an opportunity for our new govt to demonstarate commitment to rooting out corruption.in civilised societies, an inquiry would be held.several bodies would have to account for what happened

the consulting engineers
the contractors

anyway, na naija.nigerians always believe that there is a cheaper way, and that all those calculations that professional engineers do(at the design stage) are nothing more than 'office work.I'm sure the consultants simply copied a design from somewhere(maybe it was for a bridge in a desert).I've seen that sort of thing happen more than once.

we can only be happy that no one was hurt.or was anyone hurt?
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by desgiezd(m): 7:59am On Jul 10, 2007
Cant see any reason for all these complains. It could be that the bridge was built to have a life span of six months and has now collapsed after the expiration of its life span. What about that?
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Nobody: 8:46am On Jul 10, 2007
desgiezd:

Cant see any reason for all these complains. It could be that the bridge was built to have a life span of six months and has now collapsed after the expiration of its life span. What about that?

at 300 million shocked?you got to be kidding cheesy

still, you might be right, it may have been intended to last for the duration of the governor's administration
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Mmelu: 9:58am On Jul 10, 2007
105 buildings collapsed in Lagos in the last few years. This is authoritative. It all boils down to shoddy jobs and low building materials used.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by denex: 10:48am On Jul 10, 2007
I agree with desgiezd. It could have been a temporary bridge. A bridge at $2.5 million, maybe its purpose was to enable PDP come to Enugu for their presidential campaign.

I am happy because these are the kinds of inventions that will put us in the Guinness Book of Records and also win Nobel Prizes.

This kind of unique bridge design can be employed in a situation of war. Our forces can build it and cross rivers then before enemy troops get there, the bridge has dissolved.

I hail this invention but I want to see modifications. I want to see a new model that can dissolve within hours of completion.

Nigeria is now getting ahead in terms of R&D.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Seun(m): 11:08am On Jul 10, 2007
This kind of unique bridge design can be employed in a situation of war.
Our forces can build it and cross rivers then before enemy troops get there, the bridge has dissolved.
Hehe.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Soundmind(m): 11:10am On Jul 10, 2007
It is rather unfortunate that such amount of money will go down the drain in a poverty ridden economy. I do not agree that we should give foreign companies all our construction contract, i rather suggest that proven consultants should supervise jobs done by any contractor before full payment is made. Again, last payment for contracts should be made a year after the contract must have been done.
Oh! I pity Enugu state for such loss at this critical time.

Ebeano! Ebe ka-ino. Bia furu ihe i mere anyi, o dighikwa mma.

Do not be surprise to hear Festus Adedayo come up with a stupid defence for his boss. God dey.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by dee007(m): 2:39pm On Jul 11, 2007
EBEANO!! Mba

I served in Enugu and i know d different "Magic" Nnamani has performed overthere, just imagine a bridge less than six months collapsed na wa o! well sha God dey.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by laudate: 5:03pm On Jul 11, 2007
Mmelu:

105 buildings collapsed in Lagos in the last few years. This is authoritative. It all boils down to shoddy jobs and low building materials used.

Post the source of your information, please. And don't forget to include the different locations, where all these buildings collapsed. Last time I checked, the number was nothing near the numbers, you quoted above.

The government needs to do more, to bring the builders of such houses to book.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Gheorghe(m): 5:19pm On Jul 11, 2007
not suprised at all.i hail from Enugu and had my tertiary education there. in 2002, "Ebe ano" awarded and

commissioned a link road from my place (Ikem) to Abakpa Nike in Enugu, but i tell u my people, he worsened the

situation for us by grading the good road we had and left us with what we have come to call "Chimaroke powder", i.e.

dust. nothing was and has been done till date, and guess the contractors - marlum construction company - na wa o
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by nanaboi(m): 12:32pm On Jul 12, 2007
It's not entirely a question of foreign construction companies over local ones. It's about how much of that whooping sum was actually put 2 use which is a problem with the government that awarded the contract in first place.

A foreing company would definitely charge more than a local company so that by the time they're done settling 'the powers that be" they still have enuff 2 do the contract 'fairly well". It's not always the same case with local companies.
Out of the 300m, u can bet far less than 150 was put 2 use.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by spoilt(f): 4:09am On Jul 13, 2007
hope no car was on that bridge when it went down . cry
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by angel101(f): 12:11pm On Jul 13, 2007
Until we stop kick backs and all other kinds of kicks, we will see more of this! sad but true.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Mamajama(m): 2:39pm On Jul 13, 2007
How can you stop kickback in Nigeria. its in our blood and we will not award contracts without kickbacks. There is no check and balances or accountability in Nigeria and that is what is killing us. Even the local taxi driver will not service their car until the wheel fall off. our issue in Nigeria is too complex.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by redsun(m): 12:04am On Jul 14, 2007
I have said it before,all those bridges in nigeria are ticking time bombs.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by redsun(m): 12:21am On Jul 14, 2007
We are talking N300 for building a bridge,while yaradua,a lecturer turned politician is declearing assert of N850,that must be huge sum of money,can accountants in this forum convert it to dollars or pounds?
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Mamajama(m): 3:48pm On Jul 15, 2007
redsun What a wonderful compression. The administration should inspect all the bridges built b this contracting company to prevent catastrophic disaster.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Colonia(m): 3:51pm On Jul 15, 2007
Mamajama:

How can you stop kickback in Nigeria. its in our blood and we will not award contracts without kickbacks. There is no check and balances or accountability in Nigeria and that is what is killing us. Even the local taxi driver will not service their car until the wheel fall off. our issue in Nigeria is too complex.
Most of this company know they can get away with murder in Nigeria , this will never happen in a society where accountability is priority. We need leader that will hold folks responsible for all their actions.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Mamajama(m): 3:55pm On Jul 15, 2007
Colonia ha ha ha. Remember LEADERS get gifts and criminals or accused politicians get kickbacks. IS it ethical to accept gifts as a public figure?
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Colonia(m): 4:04pm On Jul 15, 2007
Mamajama:

Colonia ha ha ha. Remember LEADERS get gifts and criminals or accused politicians get kickbacks. IS it ethical to accept gifts as a public figure?

Until we realise that once you get so called " gift" you have sold your integrity , soul etc we will continue to hide from the truth. How can you be eating someone food and talk bad about the food,In Nigeria you are considered a traitor. As long as your SOUL is for sale you will always shy away from the truth. As we all know the TRUTH is bitter.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Mamajama(m): 4:31pm On Jul 17, 2007
I am sure the issue is under investigation as usual. My question is how many bridges did this c company built in Nigeria?
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by seyibrown(f): 12:08am On Jul 16, 2008
The bridges wey my papa build no reach that price and dem never collapse! grin grin grin Them still owe my papa money sef for many projects!

Yeye leaders wey we get, contractors wey go do better work, dem no go pay them on time, dem go even owe them money so the project go dey uncompleted.

Contractors wey go do yeye job, wey no get intention of completing the project to the highest standards, dem go pay them kiakia.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Nobody: 4:25am On Jul 16, 2008
no big deal if a bridge of a billion collapses.even the governor himself collapses, and 'm sure he's worth more the ttreasury of the state grin
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Wadeoye(m): 2:56pm On Feb 19, 2011
Another manifestation of corruption - we are in a world where bridges built in 1950s are still rock solid. In Nigeria, bridges are giving in a few months after construction.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Becomrichn: 3:01pm On Feb 19, 2011
my company can build this bridge,i have an engineering company
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Digriz(m): 3:11pm On Feb 19, 2011
Who resurrected ths old news of 4yrs ago,ar u dreaming?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EXPOSED!!! The Many "Faces" Of Barcanista / Biafra: We Will Attack Nigeria If Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Release Within One Month / Female Staff Gets Epic Reply From Her Boss As She Tries Flirting With Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.