Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,884 members, 7,813,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:56 PM

What Is So Difficult In Road Building? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is So Difficult In Road Building? (5454 Views)

IPOB Says Kanu's Life Is Difficult In Jail / BREAKING NEWS :Gov Amosun's Convoy In Road Crash / Rochas Okorocha Sustains Head Injury In Road Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by ikeyman00(m): 9:15pm On Sep 20, 2011
The reason this topic is popping up is that young soldiers like me had enough

Driving through the country u hardly see any road with Trunk A etc and nicely done.

Take Lagos for example; i don't live there but been there and have driven on the tarmac roads and i can tell u Fashola should be able to do better than that.

The excuses u get is Lagos is over-populated hmmm when the state government should be taking advantage of the high population density.OK he is trying his best?

Its only in Nigeria u see roads built which developed pot holes within  minutes

Even at that u don't have to be an engineer to figure out roads built on some terrain will be easily wipe off as soon as the rain arrives.

Only in Nigeria u see roads built while the side track is left to deal with erosion.

When i was in Abuja  recently driving through those routes with those sons of LOOTERS doing it i remember seeing a white man on a short pointing his finger while the black servant looking out like bush man who never see road construction

Then again this is where the Nigeria Engineering board should come out to set standard.

As long as solid roads are built it can last for years.

The road-network should not be all done at the same time.

Do solidly and gradually one at time to last and dont you dare tell us there are too many people on the roads

You can clearly see a lots of billion has been wasted for decades in the name of road contruction; u can take Onitsha-Benin-ore-Lagos express way as a case study.

The road can easily worked out on the portion that should be done solidly and the rest can follow

Then one wonder the reason the same road keep swing its ugly head up

PATHETIC indeed!!!
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by ikeyman00(m): 11:16pm On Sep 20, 2011
^^^

i always know su ckers like u will come up

but guess what tiger pass

still me!!
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by aljharem3: 11:17pm On Sep 20, 2011
Take Lagos for example; i don't live there but been there and have driven on the tarmac roads and i can tell u Fashola should be able to do better than that.

The excuses u get is Lagos is over-populated hmmm when the state government should be taking advantage of the high population density.OK he is trying his best?

Its only in Nigeria u see roads built which developed pot holes within  minutes

Even at that u don't have to be a engineer to figure roads built on some terrain will be easily wipe off as soon as the rain arrives.

Only in Nigeria u see roads built while the side track is left to deal with erosion.

U are correct but too much cars on lagos road is the problem

not actually overpopulation but the cars on the road between 7.30 - 8.30 am and 5-9 pm

this is traffic time
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by ikeyman00(m): 11:29pm On Sep 20, 2011
@@@@

alj

too much cars u said then what will the Chinese and the Japanese make of that ehhu??

Belgin and Tokyo is much over populated than Lagos

so what are u sayin
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by OgidiBoy(m): 11:44pm On Sep 20, 2011
I don't think we in west Africa should have an excuse for not having good roads, we don't have freeze-thaw weather most of the World experiences.

True we get a lot of rain but a good drainage system takes care of that, I just think our Engineers should be sent back to school and trained on road building.

Paving the ground, then pouring sand and leveling it with a coat of Asphalt on top don't make a road, it's only washed away with the first rain.
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by ikeyman00(m): 7:34pm On Sep 21, 2011
yes
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by Rgp92: 9:56pm On Sep 21, 2011
Building road is not hard. West africa got no skill in build things, only destroy it
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by kcjazz(m): 11:28pm On Sep 21, 2011
A lack of planning and inconsistent quality standards. The FG under Obasanjo banned toll gates because the proceeds were being siphoned. The bigger and arbitrary the project, the more likely for corruption to succeed.

All we have to do is have a national road code just like a building code, a national road network and price/cost based on Kilometer of roads covered. No one will feel marginalized and we can measure value and cost.

As far as we don't have those, some places will have good roads cos of connection rather than commercial activity and the cycle will continue.
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by Depilot(m): 11:43pm On Sep 21, 2011
There is nothing difficult in road building.
The issue here in Nigeria is selfishness, low-life mentality and lack of wisdom. A good example will be Akala of Oyo state and his little girl friend, called Femi Babalola. Femi supposed to be an engineer that was fronting for Akala during his 4years term. It wasn't only reported, but also confirmed that Akala got 80% of the amount of every single contract appointed to his girl friend.
Therefore, all the road constructions that were done by Femi did not last for 6 months before they were completely dissolved or dragged away by rain water.

So, to answer your question, road construction in general isn't a big deal, but heartless politicians in Nigeria refuse to the right thing.
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by ebere1712: 12:07am On Sep 22, 2011
Thanx man for posting this. These people pay foreigners billions of dollars to build substandard roads. Building roads should be one of the simplest things to do in this world but due to bureaucracies and corruption, the government has made sure that it cost us billions in dollars to build one. Well time will tell if Nigerians would ever call their bluff and demand some respect.
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by woyeld: 12:15am On Sep 22, 2011
how do iinstall vista on a new free dos pc
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by woyeld: 12:20am On Sep 22, 2011
kudos to all guru's in d house, can any 1 explain how to install windows vista on a new free dos pc. tnxs
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by oscartawn1: 8:19am On Sep 22, 2011
ikeyman00:

^^^

i always know su ckers like u will come up

but guess what tiger pass

still me!!
Is this english language? What's your point here?

Road construction in Nigeria is one of the best and easiest way politicians make their money. It's very pathethic honestly.
I was invited to do a 3km road in one of the local government in Delta state last year. After doing feasibility studies, I came up with a quotation. On meeting with the client (an NDDC middle man) He told me so so amount has been budgeted for this project, but he's left with 60% to do the road. And he will give me the job at 30% of the original contract sum that was budgeted! Of course I declined and didn't do the job.

But the truth is that many would jump at it and at the end of the day, they'd do a shabby job.
Look at East-West road for instance, Warri-Port harcourt was initially awareded at N139billion, but was recently reviewed upwards by 76%. Now it's N245 billion, and it is expected to be completed in 2013.

Wetin happen to 1st estimate? dem don divide the money chop. So the contractor don hook, and he needed more cash. I promise you that b4 2013, dem go share this one too, and ask for more money. Talking about the quality of work setraco is doing, We go see in the next 3yrs. Many sections will need to be re-awarded!
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by brainpulse: 8:21am On Sep 22, 2011
I bet must of you that just commented on this tread are not engineers and dont have constructive statements to add to the views of the poster even if you are not an engineer. I believe the post is part of our contribution to Nation Building and i dont know why we joke with everything even our destiny in this nation.

1. There are nothing stoping a grade "A" road construction in every and any part of Nigeria and also building a well inter-connected drainage system
2. We have capable hands ( Civil engineers, mechanical Engineers, Quantity surveyors etc) that can do perfect road construction in Nigeria.
3. We still have Good soil texture, allllllll the resources and infastructure that God has even given us as raw material in this nation to build good roads and  they are less expensive to  mine- Bitumen, granite etc

The Genesis of our Problem

1. Corruption
2. Not employing capable and Technical hands
3. Sabotage
4. No maintenance culture
5. No statistical projection
6. Compromised standards and regulation.
7. Research and studies.
8. Improper enforcement of laws and road regulations
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by brainpulse: 8:25am On Sep 22, 2011
Than how can we solve these problems i highlighted?
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by zylla(m): 8:42am On Sep 22, 2011
If you are in the system you will understand,
the main bane of the problem is CORRUPTION, Pure and simple.
All the BIG BIG AMOUNT that you hear is being allocated for road construction end up in people's pockets.
they don't care rather they use the money to buy SUVs'
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by Demdem(m): 8:42am On Sep 22, 2011
ikeyman00:

Its only in Nigeria u see roads built which developed pot holes within  minutes

And only in PH city have i seen an overhead bridge that has a pot hole capable of swallowing a human (Airforce)
Lord have mercy !!!!!!!
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by omoajiri(m): 9:10am On Sep 22, 2011
I travelled to rep. Du benin last sunday & the question that kept popping out of my mouth is "are we cursed in nigeria"?
Trust me,ul ask the same if you visit that '37th state of nigeria". I spent over 12hrs there & the power supply didn't surge for a seconds. The roads can compete favourably with any of our best roads in terms of quality.
My car moved smothly without any noise from its wheels on benin road,unlike on our road.
We need a revolution.
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by hajifaty: 9:26am On Sep 22, 2011
Road building is not difficult things to do but the looter and bastard that are ruling nigeria know the right things to do but they just don't want to do it. Population or the number of cars on the road shouldn't be a silly excuse. I have seen a street road been built in a day and over night here in china and these streets are much longer than naija streets. they are called main road or express in nigeria.
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by Greenslim: 10:31am On Sep 22, 2011
brainpulse:

I bet must of you that just commented on this tread are not engineers and dont have constructive statements to add to the views of the poster even if you are not an engineer. I believe the post is part of our contribution to Nation Building and i dont know why we joke with everything even our destiny in this nation.

1. There are nothing stoping a grade "A" road construction in every and any part of Nigeria and also building a well inter-connected drainage system
2. We have capable hands ( Civil engineers, mechanical Engineers, Quantity surveyors etc) that can do perfect road construction in Nigeria.
3. We still have Good soil texture, allllllll the resources and infastructure that God has even given us as raw material in this nation to build good roads and  they are less expensive to  mine- Bitumen, granite etc

1. Corruption
3. Sabotage
7. Research and studies.

You are correct
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by VolvoS60(m): 10:48am On Sep 22, 2011
We (the beaten, broken, dehumanized mass of people called "the ordinary Nigerians"wink are not yet ready for change.

When we are ready, we know what to do.

My old notes from political science class tell me (or at least I think they do  tongue) that there are 2
(people power) routes to getting the right leadership (and we all agree that leadership is a very big part of the problem) in place:

1. The ballot box

2. A (violent) revolution

Nigerians are too cowardly, disorganised and divided for route 2 to have any real chance of success. Which leaves only route 1. And we can all see the choices that Nigerians have made with route 1 since independence.

I grew up reading and listening to advertisements by the then Peugeot Automobile of Nigeria (PAN). These ads had the tagline: "Peugeot: built for Nigerian roads".

I always suspected that this ad had a double entendre (although some may argue that it didn't), and I believed then that Nigeria's elite should have considered a tagline like that to be an insult as well as a challenge. Well. . . three decades later, the roads are still (yes sir, long after the end of PAN) pothole- ridden slaughter slabs on which Nigerians in their thousands travel to meet with Death.

I repeat: Nigerians are not yet ready for change. They may never be.

I grew up with terrible road infrastructure all around me. It is very painful for me to admit it, but the children being born now will probably grow up under the same conditions.
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by mbulela: 11:26am On Sep 22, 2011
Like has been alluded to by earlier posts, the problem is not technical but societal and is hinged on endemic corruption and myopia by the ruling class.
I don't even have a big problem with taking a bribe for a road contract.
my problem is taking a bribe for a road contract awarded to your cousin or party leader who knows less than my granny about civil works.
Not only do the power that be collect loads of bribe leaving little for the contractor to do a substandard job, even with what is left the contractor knows next to nothing.
I am sure that JB pay bribes yet are able to do better jobs.
Also what sense does it make for the politicians to collect a large portion of the contract sum that will ensure that the contractor has to cut corner and do a substandard job?
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by hackney(m): 11:56am On Sep 22, 2011
Our problem with road constructions and the state of the roads is not the know-how,
its corruption.

On average, only 5% of allocated road fund is actually used so how will such a road be good.
some roads are so thin that one can sweep them off.

Thats nigeria for you.
I think boko haram should target road contractors except julius berger; they charge a lot but do a good job (oyibo styley)
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by micheall36: 12:24pm On Sep 22, 2011
What do u expect when u use a bag of cement to produce 1000 blocks instead of 100, thats the case with
nigerian construction companies, usuing lame and poor materials for constructions, Overseas, when a construction
company executes a contract, they give like 15 to 20yrs gurantee for the road and when it goes bad they are held
responsible squarely,but in nigeria, give tips to ministries and ur gone with the money and job half done.

Untill the government implement capital purnishment for fund embezlement and poor contract execution, we will
remain this poor infastructure wise with corruption eating into the fabric brain of our people en government.
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by nolongTing: 12:30pm On Sep 22, 2011
micheall36:

What do u expect when u use a bag of cement to produce 1000 blocks instead of 100, thats the case with
nigerian construction companies, usuing lame and poor materials for constructions, Overseas, when a construction
company executes a contract, they give like 15 to 20yrs gurantee for the road and when it goes bad they are held
responsible squarely,but in nigeria, give tips to ministries and your gone with the money and job half done.

Untill the government implement capital purnishment for fund embezlement and poor contract execution, we will
remain this poor infastructure wise with corruption eating into the fabric brain of our people en government.

I have often asked the same question, why dose a country like Nigeria need to pay the Germans or Chinese to build a road? Where are all the graduates and building contractors in Nigeria? It is disgraceful! It must be corruption on a grand scale surely. undecided undecided
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by DisGuy: 12:30pm On Sep 22, 2011
The Engineers will blame the politicians

The politicians will blame the local engineers

Foreign contractors blame the local graduates

and so on

this is the part i dont get, the break starts from the side, i wonder why they never close it us with a pavement, they expect everyone to walk on the road where cars are driving through
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by OLASODE2K: 12:46pm On Sep 22, 2011
I am too happy that we nairalanders know wat the problems are but i am very sad that if one of us becomes the next works & housing minister, things would only get worse. We all know the prob but most of us will still take part in its propagation. There is no nigerian works minister, b4 appointment, who hasnt been as concerned about our roads. And worse, it cuts across all strata of nigerian life. This is the nigerian malady.
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by OLASODE2K: 1:02pm On Sep 22, 2011
Everyone is condemning boko haram for killing about eight hundred ppl since 2009 but nobody is condemning the FG & state govts who 'killed' 2,441 in just eight months in various preventable road accidents as a result of bad roads. Although, the loss of a single life is quite regrettable, it would be helpful if we start seeing our three govts as equally culpable most especially if the fight against corruption must be won.
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by OLASODE2K: 1:16pm On Sep 22, 2011
If bad roads are claiming so many roads, how many are being killed as direct results of lack of drugs in our hospitals, lack of good sanitation, pipe-borne water, uncounterfeited drugs etc? These are direct consequences of govts successive gross inefficiency and corruption.
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by Fidelo726: 3:35pm On Sep 22, 2011
OLASODE2K:

Everyone is condemning boko haram for killing about eight hundred ppl since 2009 but nobody is condemning the FG & state govts who 'killed' 2,441 in just eight months in various preventable road accidents as a result of bad roads. Although, the loss of a single life is quite regrettable, it would be helpful if we start seeing our three govts as equally culpable most especially if the fight against corruption must be won.

Off point
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by igbo2011(m): 4:58pm On Sep 22, 2011
What are the best Nigerian construction firms? The firms that actually get the job done? Why doesn#t the FG find those companies and only use them?
Re: What Is So Difficult In Road Building? by Fidelo726: 5:00pm On Sep 22, 2011
brainpulse:

I bet must of you that just commented on this tread are not engineers and don't have constructive statements to add to the views of the poster even if you are not an engineer. I believe the post is part of our contribution to Nation Building and i don't know why we joke with everything even our destiny in this nation.

1. There are nothing stopping a grade "A" road construction in every and any part of Nigeria and also building a well inter-connected drainage system
3. We still have Good soil texture, allllllll the resources and infrastructure that God has even given us as raw material in this nation to build good roads and  they are less expensive to  mine- Bitumen, granite etc

1. Corruption
3. Sabotage
7. Research and studies.

You have really done well here. Well done.
I will add to this list 2 more maladies.
9.    use of incompetent expatriates.
10. Poor or lack of supervision

I will like this:
9. Most foreign companies will always want to engage craft men from their country at the expense of Nigerian Engineers.
   These expatriates barely graduated from technical school in the place and sent to Africa because as you know there is no job in Europe.
   Because the company is theirs, you professional opinion does not count.
   Again, when they mastered how to trick Nigerian government, any attempt for you to go against your employer is tantamount to a dismissal.
   This leads to the next one.
10.Because of lack or inadequate supervision, these people are able to perpetrate these act with all impunity.
    You find Ministry of Works supervising a job  that they are client to. Knowing what Ministries are in the country, compromise will always arise because
    definitely money has exchange hand somewhere.

SOLUTIONS
9. Government should really follow up this expatriate quota and make it a point of duty that expatriate should handle jobs that Nigerian Engineers cannot handle.
   They should also make sure that the expatriates coming are qualified for the job and not those that will come to learn from Nigeria a later become their oga.
   This should not be left to government alone. Professional bodies like The Nigerian Society of Engineers and COREN should  equally step up their effort to make it
   effective as their current activities to this regard is still a far cry from the requires.
10.Government should give supervisory jobs to competent engineering firms and not to the ministries or politicians or their sponsors.
    I believe that no reputable consultancy firm will like to compromise integrity for extra gain.

Of numbers 1-8, I believe that number 1 is the most worrisome that should be handled in a larger scale.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity To Be Experienced Across The Country By Next Week. / Sambo To Spend N3bn On Trips, Stationery / Meet The Nigerian Governor With 4 First Ladies! - Gov. Murtala Nyako [photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.