Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,257 members, 7,829,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Is White Wedding Biblical? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is White Wedding Biblical? (1537 Views)

Joys Priscilla Oyedepo & Abodunrin Olaleye White Wedding Photos / Sharon Oyakhilome And Phillip Frimpong Kiss At White Wedding As Phillip Cries / Sharon Oyakhilome And Phillip Frimpong's White Wedding Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is White Wedding Biblical? by Emmachimu: 4:30pm On Apr 01, 2021
IS WHITE WEDDING BIBLICAL? COUPLES WHO ENGAGES IN SEX AFTER TRADITIONAL RITES HAS BEEN SETTLED AND PAID, CAN THEY BE SAID TO BE FORNICATING?

If we are to go to the scriptures, the first marriage in the Bible between bro Adam and sister Eve was complete and legitimate without a white wedding, though God himself gave the consent of the marriage, because then there were no earthly parents to give the consent. So biologically and spiritually, God performed the duties of a parent to them and gave them consent to marry.

The wedding Jesus went to in Cana (John 2) wasn't a white wedding officiated by priests or pastors.

The marriage of Jacob in the Bible wasn't a white wedding. Trace all through the Bible, you can never see a hint of white wedding. The concept of white wedding was learnt by us, here in the world and has no root in the scriptures.

What legitimises and completes marriage is the consent of both parents to release their children to become one body.

Gen.2.24 - Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

Now, look at what the Bible said. They shall leave their father and mother, and not their pastor and church members.

Now, don't forget what God said about parents. They're our earthly guardians, they are God's representative for us on this earth. and, of a necessity, God admonished us to obey them so as to enjoy a long life.

So, as a child of God, you will agree with me that this kind of *leaving* must be with parental consent. If it is not, then it is unbiblical. Whether the consent was given by your pastor, bishop or prophets, constitution or law, If it is not your parents consent, it is not their consent. And it is a sort of disobedience to God's command. Consequently, that means the marriage is already on a faulty foundation.

Once your parents have agreed for you to leave and join with the man. Brother and sister, you've fulfilled the law. You have done rightly. It is recorded and sealed in heaven.

And of course you know, if God instituted marriage, definitely marriage must and should go by His laws (one man, one woman) according to the New Testament commandment of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

What about those that are wedding in the court after traditional, are we going to nullify their marriage simply because it wasn't in the church.

Our God isn't confined to a particular building that you must come there to receive marital blessing. I haven't seen such in the word of God.

But now look at the fuse.

If you belong to a church, and you know your church has doctrines and principles, if you know you cannot keep to their doctrines, please better don't belong there. But once you're in a church, and you accept their doctrines, you have to obey it.

I tell you why.

Firstly, if your church is against sex even after dowry has been paid. Brethren, I'll advise, please adhere to it. For the sake of having a good conscience between God and man.
I love the testimony of Paul in Acts 23 Vs 1

Acts.23.1 - Then Paul, looking earnestly at the council, said, "Men and brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day."

Whatever you do and your conscience is unrest over it, it may affect your relationship with God. And secondly, it is good to follow and adhere to your church doctrine as far as you're a member of that church.

Most times, we adhere and do certain things in the church even when we have the full knowledge of the truth, not for anything else but in order not to mislead the baby Christians.

Look at what Paul said in 1Cor.8.13 - Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.

In the passage above, not as if meat is bad or a sin, but if it will make a brother stumble, it is better we don't eat it. Figuratively, if involving in sex after traditional marriage will make the church of God stumble or a brother or sister murmur, brethren, let us avoid it and for the sake of Christ seek to have a good conscience before our brethren and before God.
Re: Is White Wedding Biblical? by Eviana(f): 4:45pm On Apr 01, 2021
I will not address the Nigerian cultural/biblical marriage portion of this thread because I am not well versed in that.

I think, however, that the caveat should be "as long as one's parents are in the Lord" in terms of playing a role in the courtship process of the individuals seeking marriage.
God is the one who ultimately knows exactly which two persons should rightfully be joined in holy matrimony...and gives the two involved confirmation prayerfully.
Sometimes parents, as well meaning as they are, put fleshly, personal feelings into situations which aren't necessarily right about choices that they deem best for their children.

Definitely should we respect and honor our parents for life, BUT if what they say conflicts with what God says.....and one prayerfully has confirmation from Him, then God trumps any earthly authority.

There are cases where the above could happen.

1 Like

Re: Is White Wedding Biblical? by WoundedLamb: 5:24pm On Apr 01, 2021
I believe white wedding is a religious norm. It's neither wrong nor compulsory. It can be seen as a prayer session held during a marriage ceremony. While the presiding person mustn't necessarily be a priest/pastor, there's no better person to lead this prayer than the church leader. The couple has parents but the four parents cannot all be presiding at the same time. Besides, for religious people, church leaders are ordained by God, so they fit into the God's role in the Garden of Eden better than the parents. Signing of the legal papers in the presence of the witnesses is the major activity of the day. Other things like the the white gown, the rings, etc. are not compulsory. But the again, every society has its cultures and if your religious society says this is what the process is to be identified as couple, I don't see anything wrong with it. It doesn't hurt anyone to follow rules provided they don't hurt anyone. Everything mustn't be explicitly written in the bible. Even the idea of having visa before you can enter some countries is unbiblical.
Re: Is White Wedding Biblical? by Kobojunkie: 6:51pm On Apr 01, 2021
Emmachimu:
IS WHITE WEDDING BIBLICAL? COUPLES WHO ENGAGES IN SEX AFTER TRADITIONAL RITES HAS BEEN SETTLED AND PAID, CAN THEY BE SAID TO BE FORNICATING?

If we are to go to the scriptures, the first marriage in the Bible between bro Adam and sister Eve was complete and legitimate without a white wedding, though God himself gave the consent of the marriage, because then there were no earthly parents to give the consent. So biologically and spiritually, God performed the duties of a parent to them and gave them consent to marry.

The wedding Jesus went to in Cana (John 2) wasn't a white wedding officiated by priests or pastors.

The marriage of Jacob in the Bible wasn't a white wedding. Trace all through the Bible, you can never see a hint of white wedding. The concept of white wedding was learnt by us, here in the world and has no root in the scriptures.

What legitimises and completes marriage is the consent of both parents to release their children to become one body.

Gen.2.24 - Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

Now, look at what the Bible said. They shall leave their father and mother, and not their pastor and church members.

Now, don't forget what God said about parents. They're our earthly guardians, they are God's representative for us on this earth. and, of a necessity, God admonished us to obey them so as to enjoy a long life.

So, as a child of God, you will agree with me that this kind of *leaving* must be with parental consent. If it is not, then it is unbiblical. Whether the consent was given by your pastor, bishop or prophets, constitution or law, If it is not your parents consent, it is not their consent. And it is a sort of disobedience to God's command. Consequently, that means the marriage is already on a faulty foundation.

Once your parents have agreed for you to leave and join with the man. Brother and sister, you've fulfilled the law. You have done rightly. It is recorded and sealed in heaven.

And of course you know, if God instituted marriage, definitely marriage must and should go by His laws (one man, one woman) according to the New Testament commandment of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

What about those that are wedding in the court after traditional, are we going to nullify their marriage simply because it wasn't in the church.

Our God isn't confined to a particular building that you must come there to receive marital blessing. I haven't seen such in the word of God.

But now look at the fuse.

If you belong to a church, and you know your church has doctrines and principles, if you know you cannot keep to their doctrines, please better don't belong there. But once you're in a church, and you accept their doctrines, you have to obey it.

I tell you why.

Firstly, if your church is against sex even after dowry has been paid. Brethren, I'll advise, please adhere to it. For the sake of having a good conscience between God and man.
I love the testimony of Paul in Acts 23 Vs 1

Acts.23.1 - Then Paul, looking earnestly at the council, said, "Men and brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day."

Whatever you do and your conscience is unrest over it, it may affect your relationship with God. And secondly, it is good to follow and adhere to your church doctrine as far as you're a member of that church.

Most times, we adhere and do certain things in the church even when we have the full knowledge of the truth, not for anything else but in order not to mislead the baby Christians.

Look at what Paul said in 1Cor.8.13 - Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.

In the passage above, not as if meat is bad or a sin, but if it will make a brother stumble, it is better we don't eat it. Figuratively, if involving in sex after traditional marriage will make the church of God stumble or a brother or sister murmur, brethren, let us avoid it and for the sake of Christ seek to have a good conscience before our brethren and before God.
I am afraid there is a problem with what you have above and that is, it is simply more doctrines and traditions of men, and less of God's Truth. Why did you feel the need to add your own interpretation to that which God declared in Genesis concerning marriage? undecided

Genesis 2 vs 24
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24. Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. 25 And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.
By doing that, you turned everything you have attempted to say, a lie against God Himself. undecided

Where did God declare parents earthly guardians/God's representatives on earth? undecided
And where do you have God asserting that in addition to the ultimate permission He, God, declared before their creation, to couples, that additional permission from their "earthly guardians" is necessary? undecided
Re: Is White Wedding Biblical? by Jman24(m): 10:07pm On Apr 01, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I am afraid there is a problem with what you have above and that is, it is simply more doctrines and traditions of men, and less of God's Truth. Why did you feel the need to add your own interpretation to that which God declared in Genesis concerning marriage? undecided
By doing that, you turned everything you have attempted to say, a lie against God Himself. undecided

Where did God declare parents earthly guardians/God's representatives on earth? undecided
And where do you have God asserting that in addition to the ultimate permission He, God, declared before their creation, to couples, that additional permission from their "earthly guardians" is necessary? undecided

That is the problem of religion.
"Permutations"
Re: Is White Wedding Biblical? by Kobojunkie: 9:55pm On Apr 07, 2021
Jman24:
That is the problem of religion.
"Permutations"
More like confusion... undecided

(1) (Reply)

Serious Back Ulcer Healed By Jesus Through TB Joshua / What Pastor Kumuyi Has To Say About Celebrating Christmas / Why Do We Say/write XMAS Instead Of Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.