Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,435 members, 7,861,209 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 07:05 AM

My Mother Thought I Was Possessed Because I Have Alopecia - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Mother Thought I Was Possessed Because I Have Alopecia (1106 Views)

Is My Elder Brother Possessed Or An Occultic Man? / My Husband Nearly Beat Me To Death Because I Denied Him Sex - Happiness Omonogor / My Wife Is Angry With Me Because I Bought Underwears For Her Niece (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mother Thought I Was Possessed Because I Have Alopecia by BigCabal: 6:18pm On Apr 01, 2021
I was born with dreadlocks. When I was two years old, my parents cut them off. The option of not cutting the hair simply didn’t exist for me. Anytime my mother talked about it, she gave me the impression that keeping a child’s dreadlocks could result in something negative happening in the child’s life. My sister was born with locs too and they were cut as well. After my haircut, there were bald patches where my edges should be. I didn’t think too much of it at first, but as I grew older, it became the only thing I could see when I looked in the mirror. It was as though my hairline kept receding.

I was about 9 years old when it became a problem for me. People were always offering advice, and I was always eager to try. I used spirit on my scalp. I put weed in my hair cream. I bought a special hair growth cream. One time, one woman told me to use my first urine of the day to wash my hair. I was desperate, so I did it. When all the creams and concoctions didn’t work, I was accused of being a witch who was cutting her hair to torment her parents. I also used to wet the bed at the time so it was easy for them to assume something was wrong with me.

My mother would ask me if I was secretly shaving my hair to frustrate her. One day she came back from work and said that I had a spirit husband, and I needed to pray if I wanted him to leave me alone. She told me we would be going for a deliverance session when she came back from work the next day. In my head, I was thinking “Omo, what if they actually cast a demon out of me tonight?”

I don’t remember how the deliverance session went. I know there were a lot of prayers and that became a regular occurrence. My mother would always ask her pastors to pray a special prayer for me. We went for two more deliverance sessions, where they tried to cast the demon living inside me. Nothing worked — I was still wetting my bed and my front hair refused to grow.

I started dodging the deliverance sessions. I would tell my mother I was too tired or that my stomach was paining me. Sometimes she would still force me to follow her to church but I used to get very tired so I would always have an excuse to leave.

If you haven’t subscribed to the best newsletter for Nigerian women, click here!
When I was 13, I went to boarding school and I stopped attending deliverance sessions completely. But things there were also bad. People would call me ugly to my face. I felt ugly. They would ask if rats ate my hair. Even though I was popular because I won many inter-school competitions for my school, my identity was still largely tied to my hair. People described me as the tall dark girl without front hair. My school only allowed us to make all-back, and it was the one hairstyle that fully displayed my alopecia so I cut my hair. Even when my hair was low, the bald patches were still obvious.

In SS2, when I became head girl, the school included a beret as part of our uniform and I heard one of the house mistresses say it was because the head girl has no front hair. As I grew older, I got used to comments and they stopped bothering me. When I finished secondary school, I noticed that random people started to compliment me on the road. They would stare when I walked past or say they liked my height, my stature or my smile. I started to wear those compliments. I started to see beauty when I looked in the mirror. I realized that I always liked what I saw in the mirror but I needed someone else to like it too. My self-esteem improved. Even though in my first year of University, people still told me I wasn’t pretty, it didn’t hurt as much.

I studied physiotherapy and I got to interact with a lot of medics. That’s how I learned the term for my hair’s condition was alopecia. I haven’t been able to see a dermatologist but it felt good to know.

I rarely go to salons because my mood sours whenever people mention my baldness and hairdressers always want to recommend something. I also don’t like when people touch my hair so I make my hair myself most times. On most days, I feel beautiful but I can’t wait until I can afford surgery because I’d like to know what I look like with a head full of hair.

Read more stories like this from real people: www.zikoko.com
Re: My Mother Thought I Was Possessed Because I Have Alopecia by PoliteActivist: 6:19pm On Apr 01, 2021
BigCabal:
I was born with dreadlocks. When I was two years old, my parents cut them off.

Read more stories like this from real people: www.zikoko.com

Sorry o.
Ever heard of wigs or attachments?
Just asking

1 Like

Re: My Mother Thought I Was Possessed Because I Have Alopecia by mariahAngel(f): 6:43pm On Apr 01, 2021
PoliteActivist:

Sorry o.
Ever heard of wigs or attachments?
Just asking

As a child? It's not as simple as you think it is.

Hair issue is a very big deal with girls. It can make or mar your self-esteem.

Imagine wearing a wig and naughty child comes and pulls it off "for fun"

1 Like

Re: My Mother Thought I Was Possessed Because I Have Alopecia by PoliteActivist: 7:34pm On Apr 01, 2021
mariahAngel:

As a child? It's not as simple as you think it is.

Hair issue is a very big deal with girls. It can make or mar your self-esteem.

Imagine wearing a wig and naughty child comes and pulls it off "for fun"

So? Almost every woman wears wig OR attachments. Also you are already grown (did you read your story?)

1 Like

Re: My Mother Thought I Was Possessed Because I Have Alopecia by mariahAngel(f): 8:24pm On Apr 01, 2021
PoliteActivist:

So? Almost every woman wears wig OR attachments. Also you are already grown (did you read your story?)

You don't get it...

She was sharing her childhood experience.

1 Like

Re: My Mother Thought I Was Possessed Because I Have Alopecia by mysticwarrior(m): 8:34pm On Apr 01, 2021
op could you upload a picture of your hair so those with similar conditions could give you advice or solutions?
Re: My Mother Thought I Was Possessed Because I Have Alopecia by PoliteActivist: 12:05pm On Apr 02, 2021
mariahAngel:

You don't get it...

She was sharing her childhood experience.

You don't get it...

This is her last statement: I’d like to know what I look like with a head full of hair..

A wig or attachment will accomplish that

1 Like

Re: My Mother Thought I Was Possessed Because I Have Alopecia by Richy4(m): 4:19pm On Apr 02, 2021
Some people are just making a mockrey of Christianity I swear... I'm just desperately trying to imagine what the prayer point of the pastor was embarassed

Re: My Mother Thought I Was Possessed Because I Have Alopecia by Kayberg: 9:49pm On Apr 02, 2021
Get Minoxidil or Labena hair growth.
Them no born the alopecia well make him override am too.

(1) (Reply)

See Letter A Son Wrote To Dad Abdicating Position As First Son Of The Family. / Affordable Quality Designers Bedsheets N7,500 (pics). / This Is One Major Reason I Will Always Remain Single (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.