Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,647 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation (30571 Views)

UNILAG Professor, Duro Ajeyalemi Dies Of COVID-19 Disease / I Finally Received My 10,000 Grant From Federal Government / Ganiyat Tijani-Adenle: My Experience In Office Of UNILAG Professor, Lai Olurode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by LegendHero(m): 12:34am On Apr 02, 2021
A Nigerian professor identified as Bosede Afolabi has made the country proud by winning the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Grant.

The University of Lagos (UNILAG) gynaecologist was awarded a research grant of $2,518,474.00 (N958,908,975.50). Her project is titled Intravenous Versus Oral Iron for Iron Deficiency Anaemia in Pregnant Nigerian Women (IVON).

The disclosure was made by UNILAG, which celebrated the Nigerian professor on its LinkedIn page.

According to UNILAG website, Professor Bosede Afolabi is internationally recognised for her research in sickle cell pregnancy.

Her project, which is titled, ‘’Intravenous Versus Oral Iron for Iron Deficiency Anaemia in Pregnant Nigerian Women {IVON}”, is sponsored to the tune of $2, 518, 474.00 of the IVON Project.

As Principal Investigator, Professor Afolabi will lead a multicentre study which will run for 3 years (November 1, 2020 – October 31, 2023). The study will be conducted in 10 hospitals within Lagos and Kano States and it will recruit a total of 1,056 women at 20-32 weeks gestational age, who are diagnosed as having anaemia at the antennal clinics of the hospitals.

In addition to the international collaborations and partnerships which the study will facilitate between UNILAG and other Universities in the US and Europe, it will also contribute to local human capacity development with the sponsorship of junior faculties for postgraduate trainings (M.Sc. and PhD).

Professor Bosede Afolabi is internationally recognized for her research in sickle cell pregnancy. Her interests are in maternal and fetal medicine, minimal access (laparoscopic) Surgery and Maternal education. She is a fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists UK, West African College of Surgeons, and the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria.

Source: https://unilag.edu.ng/?p=8231

Nigerians soon flooded the comment section of the post to congratulate Professor Afolabi.

Source: https://www.legit.ng/1409894-nigerian-female-professor-wins-n958m-grant-bill-melinda-gates-foundation-many-hail-her.html

79 Likes 7 Shares

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by Ever8090: 12:45am On Apr 02, 2021
That is a lot of money, I beg who get Bill Gates number I wan ask am for just one thing....

113 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by LegendHero(m): 1:06am On Apr 02, 2021
Ever8090:
That is a lot of money, I beg who get Bill Gates number I wan ask am for just one thing....

This is Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation number: +12067093400.

But I don’t think they give grants directly to individuals

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by realstars: 1:30am On Apr 02, 2021
A Good Nigerian.

4 Likes

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by Resurrection212: 1:34am On Apr 02, 2021
Tell him you are from poverty of the world capital that you're very hungry right now.
Ever8090:

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by deji17: 1:36am On Apr 02, 2021
Great!
Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by michlins(m): 2:08am On Apr 02, 2021
Congratulations to the winner.

Our religious knuckleheads won't see this. Bill and melinda be saving Africa since time began. I hope they don't tag it 666 or population control

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by Vaughanlanrewaj: 2:09am On Apr 02, 2021
UNILAG is getting it right with these big ticket grants their lecturers are getting almost every week. Some of these other universities can find out how UNILAG lecturers prepare their grant applications and follow through to success. Although I doubt if UNILAG will "show them the way".

Well done to the University of Lagos, the University of First Choice and the nation's pride.visit www.freestuffsng.com for latest freestuffs in Nigeria.
#proudlyAkokite

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by luv2rolly(m): 2:44am On Apr 02, 2021
weldone Ma, keep making your family proud

1 Like

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by inumidun2010(m): 3:13am On Apr 02, 2021
Anytime I see and hear about an ACADEMIA doing fine, I go just dey happy... Anytime I hear our POLITICIANS do anyhow, I'm not surprised.. Nothing fit shock me again about them

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by winning101: 3:51am On Apr 02, 2021
So the 900 million naira doesn't contain monitoring tracker, voice recorder or GPS? It doesn't kill Africans too?

This greatly shows that poverty and hunger is the highest cause of people whipping up weird conspiracy theories and abnormal stories.

A person who is handsomely employed or has a profitable business that yeilds good money will know how it feels to have financial freedom and time and then understand that nothing, I repeat, nothing, will ever make a $100b+ retiree like Bill Gates to even have the weirdest thought of having to inject monitor or whatever they call it inside some poor Nigerian or anyone at all. The technology to do such is not even available. If available Bill Gates will have to spend of $200bn to inject only Nigeria with 200m people $2000 trackers each. His networth is only $150bn or so.

The most embarrassing part of these stories is the that people spreading it took polio vaccines donated by Bill Gates as infants, they didn't die, only to grow up and think Bill Gates or someone somewhere wants to eat their destiny or monitor their movement. Same person owns a smartphone with GPS, Internet connection and a gallery full of his photos, has a Facebook account with all his information, and then a bank account with all his accurate personal information/biometrics and financial details and history - all stored with computers running on Windows operating system that was developed by...wait for it...Bill Gates.

Congrats to Doc. cheesy

66 Likes 7 Shares

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by Monogamy: 4:28am On Apr 02, 2021
Big congratulations to her.

Yoruba lagba

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by BOOOMNAIJA: 5:06am On Apr 02, 2021
Anybody u see writing Igbo amaka or Yoruba amaka anytime they read about achievement of people on nairaland are monumental failures in life....e get why.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by Prussian: 5:07am On Apr 02, 2021
And a certain Doctor in the North is busy defending terrorists and bandits. Well, maybe Bandits are the ones sponsoring him.

8 Likes

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by Hamzatgodfirst(m): 5:07am On Apr 02, 2021
Congratulations professor

4 Likes

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by elmessiahs(m): 5:10am On Apr 02, 2021
Great to hear, congrats ma.. This is laudable

1 Like

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:11am On Apr 02, 2021
MASSIVE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by shopwiser: 5:11am On Apr 02, 2021
She don make am for life
Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by onoms4luv(m): 5:11am On Apr 02, 2021
congrats ma
Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by Shattuck(m): 5:12am On Apr 02, 2021
winning101:
So the 900 million naira doesn't contain monitoring tracker, voice recorder or GPS? It doesn't kill Africans too?

This greatly shows that poverty and hunger is the highest cause of people whipping up weird conspiracy theories and abnormal stories.

A person who is handsomely employed or has a profitable business that yeilds good money will know how it feels to have financial freedom and time and then understand that nothing, I repeat, nothing, will ever make a $100b+ retiree like Bill Gates to even have the weirdest thought of having to inject monitor or whatever they call it inside some poor Nigerian or anyone at all. The technology to do such is not even available. If available Bill Gates will have to spend of $200bn to inject only Nigeria with 200m people $2000 trackers each. His networth is only $150bn or so.

The most embarrassing part of these stories is the that people spreading it took polio vaccines donated by Bill Gates at infant, they didn't die, only to grow up and think Bill Gates or someone somewhere wants to eat their destiny or monitor their movement. Same person owns a smartphone with GPS, Internet connection and a gallery full of his photos, has a Facebook account with all his information, and then a bank account with all his accurate personal information/biometrics and financial details and history - all stored with computers running on Windows operating system that was developed by...wait for it...Bill Gates.

Congrats to Doc. cheesy

Support my YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wqna9BlFaI
they hardly reason nah just following the insensitive crowd.

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by joycedap: 5:12am On Apr 02, 2021
But why announce it public knowing the federal government will want to loan the money from her,with or without her consent

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by MrIcredible: 5:13am On Apr 02, 2021
Chai!

The sad thing is

70% of the money will be lavished for her selfishness and personal uses. That's the sad thing with most Nigerian researchers that wins grants. Very USELESS people.

All the researches they've been doing all these years, what positive values has it added to Nigeria economically?
They usually end up on the shelves.
No actualisation
No implementation

4 Likes

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by Teaser4(m): 5:16am On Apr 02, 2021
H
Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by Lovethaa: 5:17am On Apr 02, 2021
Wow that is some huge cash .. You can make it big academically you don't have to do olosho or yahoo..

btw I'm the most popular guy on NL... thank you all for voting me

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by SmartPolician: 5:20am On Apr 02, 2021
Tomorrow, some yeye people would say that Bill Gates wants to kill them with his vaccine.

Congratulations, Prof Bosede.

And thank you, the world's #1 Doctor (Bill Gates)

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by ChiefSosa(m): 5:27am On Apr 02, 2021
NIGERIA AMAKA! BUT MOST ESPECIALLY:

YORUBA AMAKA OOOOOOOOOO.

18 Likes

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by ROTTWEILER007: 5:31am On Apr 02, 2021
I bet that money was up a billion.....what happened to the remaining?
Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by andy4d2ofus(m): 5:31am On Apr 02, 2021
Nigeria people has great potentials but its unfortunate that the nation in gradually sinking.
Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by jaxxy(m): 5:38am On Apr 02, 2021
Bill can we talk? It’s highly important. As a matter of fact it’s a national emergency.
Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by samnificent(m): 5:43am On Apr 02, 2021
We don't fund research's in this country.
Lord give me the capacity to do so.

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG's Professor Bosede Wins ₦958 Million Grant From Bill Gates Foundation by Alejoas(m): 5:47am On Apr 02, 2021
Congratulations to Prof Mrs for contributing her quota despite all odds. She will become the envy of many and the University will want to micro-manage the funds if it is routed through them. Medicine remains one of the few fields where students are well impacted on while in school and has direct application outside school and doctors study more even while practising because the field is ever changing with improved methods. Most field Nigerian currently study are only Keep students in University to grow beard / breast and to show them hardlife. I have laptop eternally battery for sale, more than ten hours guaranteed. Prof, we are proud of you Ma. Research grants for student research won't be a problem under her, sharp student should go and apply for masters and PhD under her. wink I encourage everyone to never give up on any application because if you don't apply, you can't win. Stay motivated!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria / UNIABUJA UPDATES:- Girls Inside Boys Hostel, Roaming Around Streets See Photos / Uniabuja Economics Students Sign Out In Style, Storm Gwagwalada Major Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.