Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,283 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? (1085 Views)

How Do You Cope With Pressure To Cheat On Your Spouse? / A Family Man Can Have This Too: / 4 Generations Of A Family In One Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? by pimper24: 2:54pm On Apr 02, 2021
I have been busy and really stayed away from home for a while. I decided to come for the Easter and a meeting was convened solely because of me; a summon was sent from the family elders. The emissory was my mother.

After a welcome statements and a re caste of the difficulties the family grappled with to make sure I successfully completed school and even studied abroad, my eldest uncle (my dad is late) paused and asked if I wanted a drink, to which I said no.

I was really eager to have him come out clean. It was like waiting for eternity. He cleared his throat and took a colanut from a sylver platter and carefully scooped a paste of groundnut meal and pushed all into his mouth. He cleared his throat again after chewing for a while and commenced his statement.

"Its been two years since the land in Grove was allocated to you..."

He paused again and drank from a cup of water.
"we want to know what is happening",

"He hauled this igbo addage which is a rhetorics alluding the fact that I have all that is needed to excel.

"Your mates that do not have half as much education and career have turned this village around in various projects. We demand an explanation." He concluded

I simply told them I had no immediate explanation. And that I have never been lazying around except do what is reasonably expected of me as a man. That is use my income modestly as much as my needs would accomodate.

They uninanimously demanded to see my wife in two weeks time.

I have wondered if this is good intentioned or just undue pressure from the family

But my thought:

It is quite good to check on the progress of family members but, when this kind of subtle pressure accompanies it, it becomes overbearing. And could lead to avarice or some base instincts.
Re: Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? by budaatum: 3:22pm On Apr 02, 2021
pimper24:

It is quite good to check on the progress of family members but, when this kind of subtle pressure accompanies it, it becomes overbearing. And could lead to avarice or some base instincts.
Some mothers!

You are indeed correct in thinking this could lead to avarice. The short time you've been given will clearly lead to an unthought out choice which you will rue it due time.

You hopefully, nay! You sound like you have a mind of your own and will not be blackmailed nor dictated to.
Re: Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? by Richy4(m): 5:55pm On Apr 02, 2021
Sorry dear... It's stuffs that happens when someone is trained by a community or extended family raised to power 4.. grin

there will be so much expectation...You are like a community property.. But One of the better side of it is that when you starts doing well, They will make sure u approve and indorse any thing that goes around the family....Anyone that wants to marry must seek for your approval..You will be like an uncle for all.. I have watched it on Nigerian movies wayback cheesy ..
Re: Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? by JovialJune(f): 6:23pm On Apr 02, 2021
Why did they demand to see your wife when it is clearly not her business?

Hope they won't try to blame her for bla bla bla coz you didn't meet up to expectation, coz that's the next thing village meeting on someone's head can lead to, looking for who to 100% blame.

2 Likes

Re: Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? by mariahAngel(f): 6:58pm On Apr 02, 2021
@Pimper24, are you by any chance related to Chinua Achebe? cheesy
Re: Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 02, 2021
Avarice
Re: Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? by bukatyne(f): 8:42pm On Apr 02, 2021
@pimper24,

Eku ede geesi grin

Before we see avarice and avabeans,

Were you aware of your responsibilities/expectations upon getting the land? Is there someone who could have gotten it and bypassed because they thought you would 'develop' it faster?

What is the precedence of such allocations in the past?

We need to understand the basics before we can advise on an approach to resolve.
Re: Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Apr 02, 2021
Eziama kwa? In Umunochi? Hope its not the one in Eluama.

It's a small world. Let me come and be going.
Re: Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? by pimper24: 9:17pm On Apr 02, 2021
bukatyne:
@pimper24,

Eku ede geesi grin

Before we see avarice and avabeans,

Were you aware of your responsibilities/expectations upon getting the land? Is there someone who could have gotten it and bypassed because they thought you would 'develop' it faster?

What is the precedence of such allocations in the past?

We need to understand the basics before we can advise on an approach to resolve.

It is normal to share family lands among male children who are of certain age. There is nothing extraneous attached to it. It is expected that you develop it at your pace. It is unusual to mount pressure for such because the land rightfully belongs to the family member beneficiary.

1 Like

Re: Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? by bukatyne(f): 9:25pm On Apr 02, 2021
pimper24:

It is normal to share family lands among male children who are of certain age. There is nothing extraneous attached to it. It is expected that you develop it at your pace. It is unusual to mount pressure for such because the land rightfully belongs to the family member beneficiary.

Ok, thanks

So why is your family pressurizing you?

Are they comparing you to contemporaries? What input is your wife supposed to have in the development?
Re: Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? by Nobody: 12:04am On Apr 04, 2021
AsherAmari:
Eziama kwa? In Umunochi? Hope its not the one in Eluama.

It's a small world. Let me come and be going.
Are you Callidora?

1 Like

Re: Could this be a family admonition or undue pressure? by cococandy(f): 2:40am On Apr 04, 2021
Wahala

(1) (Reply)

Original T-shirt For Sale At An Affordable Price / Share Ur Pregnancy Experience / Plz Help Me Cousin Out Of This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.