Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,601 members, 7,840,428 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business (21332 Views)

Apple Announces Plans To Shut Down The Itunes Music Platform / BBM Consumer Service to Shut Down May 31st, 2019 / Yahoo Messenger To Be Shut Down On July 17 After 20 Years Of Operation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 5:42pm On Apr 05, 2021
Destinylink:

I don't know the phone brand to switch to yet.
I'm still enjoying my V40 thinQ.
I have never used an apple phone but after buying an iPad for my son, I think they are not that bad at all. Hence, I am considering apple once LG phone division folds up.

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Destinylink(m): 5:44pm On Apr 05, 2021
salford1:

I have never seen a V40 in real life.
The V series are beasts and work horse. They are like trucks of phones.

LG skipped the V40 and V50 thinQ in Canada, and alot of EU countries. LG users were literally begging them to launch those phones in their market, but LG being a weird company did not. Alot of people switched to Samsung during that period. I bought a G8 and managed it, but I knew I was missing out on the V Series which are beast compared to the g-series.

Even the V60. The phone sold out in a few weeks. I bought the last one in my city. After calling almost all phone shops. They only produced a few for markets outside the USA.

LG lacked good marketing strategies and this led to it downfall in smartphone business.

2 Likes

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 5:49pm On Apr 05, 2021
Destinylink:

LG lacked good marketing strategies and this led to it downfall in smartphone business.
That was their downfall. It seems the only product their are marketing aggressively is their TVs. They have also lost the fridge market to Samsung.
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by TMKsouth: 6:11pm On Apr 05, 2021
JaceBlaze:

Seems like whenever the world no longer see any value in something they dump it in Nigeria...hai man.

I had a GW300 back in 2010,used it up to 2014.I don't know how many models were made and sold in SA since then.

Just googled it, looks familiar actually.

2 Likes

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Destinylink(m): 6:31pm On Apr 05, 2021
salford1:

That was their downfall. It seems the only product their are marketing aggressively is their TVs. They have also lost the fridge market to Samsung.

I read their great smartphone inventions on one of the cell phone news site. LG has indeed been the innovative; but their marketing team wasn't doing any good.

It never managed to capitalize on its innovations, it has created some of the most exciting phones over the years.

For example, the LG KE850 Prada was announced in December of 2006 – it was the first phone with a capacitive touchscreen and an all-touch UI. Of course, in January Apple unveiled its first iPhone, which stole the spotlight from the Prada. Today everyone points to the iPhone as the start of the touchscreen revolution, while LG’s contribution lays largely forgotten.

In mid-2007 the company unveiled the LG KU990 Viewty, the very first smartphone to record slow-motion video. It could capture 320p clips at 120fps, which makes for a 4x slowdown (below you can see a clip we shot over a decade ago). LG’s innovations often focused on the camera. It introduced the first phone that could record FullHD video, aka 1080p – that was the LG Optimus 2X from 2011.

That same year it put out one of the first phones with a dual camera too, the LG Optimus 3D. The 3D fad died off pretty quickly and makers went back to single camera setups.

This changed in 2016 when the LG G5 was introduced – it had the first useful dual camera with a 16MP main cam (75º FoV) and an 8MP ultrawide-angle camera (with a surprisingly wide 135º FoV). These days even entry-level phones equip an ultrawide lens.

Optimus 2X was the first smartphone with a dual-core processor. It even got into the Guinness book of world records.

The LG Optimus G (2012) was the first widely-available phone to feature Qualcomm’s then-new Snapdragon S4 Pro chipset. The Optimus G’s sequels branched off to become LG’s new flagship line, which includes the G5 mentioned above as well as the LG G3 – one of the first with a 1440p display[b] (not the first, but the first to be available globally)[/b]

The company was often ahead of its time with its designs as well. The LG BL40 New Chocolate (from 2009) was the first phone to have a screen with an ultra-wide 21:9 aspect ratio. It was ridiculed at the time for looking line a remote control, but ultra-wide displays are the norm now.

The LG G5 was the first modular Android phone.

LG made inroads with audiophiles too, many of whom adored the Quad DAC that made its debut with the LG V20.

The list goes on and on...!

3 Likes

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by m140(m): 7:34pm On Apr 05, 2021
salford1:

The V60 only cost $1100. Got it for $700 or so on contract. Samsung S20 was retailing for $1500 around the same time.
Was even planning getting one of their flagship for my wife

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by hefelove(m): 8:39pm On Apr 05, 2021
This is a bad news for me cus my phone is an LG phone, ordinary screen guard I no see, phone case i don find taya even for computer village, if the screen get issues lasan I don die cry LG phones make sense die! The graphics is same just like samsung phones

3 Likes

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by ultimatekint(m): 9:03pm On Apr 05, 2021
Nigeria is still busy moving cows up and down ; ah ! I wept !
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Realist1(m): 9:07pm On Apr 05, 2021
danietohbadt:
Very soon, Nokia too will stop making phones.

The real Nokia company already sold their company to Bill Gate's Microsoft for $7Billion then due to bad sales. It was initially called Nokia Lumia then later called Microsoft Lumia using windows mobile software in the phones.It still didn't sell.

Then a company called HMD Global saw the Nokia name is free and still well known decided to make quality android Nokia phones with permission from Nokia.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 9:50pm On Apr 05, 2021
hefelove:
This is a bad news for me cus my phone is an LG phone, ordinary screen guard I no see, phone case i don find taya even for computer village, if the screen get issues lasan I don die cry LG phones make sense die! The graphics is same just like samsung phones
It's because you live in Nigeria. When I cracked my LG G5 screen, I just went on eBay, ordered a screen (usually come with tools) and changed it myself. Cases are sold on Amazon and eBay as well.
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 9:52pm On Apr 05, 2021
m140:

Was even planning getting one of their flagship for my wife
It would still be okay for the next 2 to 5 years which is the same timeframe other mobile phone companies offers support to their customers.
My phone just got upgraded to android 11 last Friday.
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 9:55pm On Apr 05, 2021
Realist1:

The real Nokia company already sold their company to Bill Gate's Microsoft for $7Billion then due to bad sales. It was initially called Nokia Lumia then later called Microsoft Lumia using windows mobile software in the phones.It still didn't sell.

Then a company called HMD Global saw the Nokia name is free and still well known decided to make quality android Nokia phones with permission from Nokia.
In my opinion, Nokia went down because they failed to get on the android gravy train. My last phone was a Nokia n97 mini I bought in 2009. When I realised they weren't getting serious with Android and decided to stick with old Symbian, I jumped to HTC Ace (desire HD).
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Realist1(m): 10:35pm On Apr 05, 2021
salford1:

In my opinion, Nokia went down because they failed to get on the android gravy train. My last phone was a Nokia n97 mini I bought in 2009. When I realised they weren't getting serious with Android and decided to stick with old Symbian, I jumped to HTC Ace (desire HD).

Exactly,not adopting Android OS was the downfall of Nokia.Even Microsoft couldn't succeed with their windows mobile OS .Andriod is widely loved and accepted.

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by jaxxy(m): 10:45pm On Apr 05, 2021
Good move nobody’s know them for fones, they can’t compete with Samsung or the Chinese brands who have taken up most of the market share, they should gather more market share in the electronics market.
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by nuelzz04(m): 11:21pm On Apr 05, 2021
uuzba:

Are you the owner of LG that it is sad for you?
Don't be doing like all those girls that enter Uber for N3000, and be behaving as if the N2million car is their own.
I use LG G7 n m enjoying the smartphone... LG phones wit similar specifications to other brands are relatively cheaper.. N they are really gud
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by LegalRambles(m): 2:20am On Apr 06, 2021
Crimrburster:
nonsense? Itel, tecno and infinix cannot attain their standards in next 2 decades. Almost all flagships from tecno can't withstand G8. Argue with specs. LegalRambles come and masturbate with your g70.

Omo if it's not Samsung, iPhone or Infinix it's crappy AF
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by jeff1607(m): 10:13am On Apr 06, 2021
Offpoint1:
Their electronics are one of the best... Still using their DVD for over 8 years now

Buy a recently manufactured DVD and use it as you have used the older one ,the new one won't last.
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Offpoint1: 11:27am On Apr 06, 2021
jeff1607:

Buy a recently manufactured DVD and use it as you have used the older one ,the new one won't last.
Most newer products these days from almost all manufacturer don't last... They only give you dope designs with bad quality.
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by jacy346(f): 1:59pm On Apr 06, 2021
deji17:
Ah.. LG phones are one of the best.
all my phones are LG

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by m140(m): 3:06pm On Apr 06, 2021
salford1:

It would still be okay for the next 2 to 5 years which is the same timeframe other mobile phone companies offers support to their customers.
My phone just got upgraded to android 11 last Friday.
What model
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 3:24pm On Apr 06, 2021
m140:

What model
V60.
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Ejiphill09(m): 3:35pm On Apr 06, 2021
salford1:

V60.

Currently using V50 V series are beast. I'm about getting the V60 now but this news have left me broken because their phones won't be receiving support within a short time now.
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 3:50pm On Apr 06, 2021
Ejiphill09:

Currently using V50 V series are beast. I'm about getting the V60 now but this news have left me broken because their phones won't be receiving support within a short time now.
No one knows. I am sure they would still support existing mobiles for maybe a few more years.

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by salford1: 3:51pm On Apr 06, 2021
Offpoint1:

Most newer products these days from almost all manufacturer don't last... They only give you dope designs with bad quality.
This is right. That's the way they stay in business grin

Apple was even sending update to slow down old phones if it refuses to break grin
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by m140(m): 6:33pm On Apr 06, 2021
salford1:

V60.
Okay
Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Destinylink(m): 7:55pm On Apr 06, 2021
Ejiphill09:

LG will continue rolling out Android 11 updates for selected devices as confirmed by LG’s South Korean website.

Work on the Android 12 update continues as well, however, LG has not revealed which phones are expected to receive it.

Trust me, anytime they release the list of eligible flagships, The V60 should be number one on the list. So you can still buy the V60 if you want.

2 Likes

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by Offpoint1: 10:17pm On Apr 06, 2021
salford1:

This is right. That's the way they stay in business grin

Apple was even sending update to slow down old phones if it refuses to break grin
Very annoying, bought a new pressing iron with dope design and the useless thing didn't last a week, while our ugly family iron is still working like hell after 36 years.

1 Like

Re: LG Electronics To Shut Down Its Mobile Phone Business by cori908: 10:10am On Sep 03, 2022
It is rather sad to read as I always enjoyed LG products, especially their TVs. I remember once I posted one of these lg electronics reviews , and it was rather positive. I hope my feedback will be helpful for someone, too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Transfer Airtime From Mtn To Airtel Or Glo To Etisalat And Vice Versa / Tecno Phantom A2 And A+: Which Is Better? / The Extinction Of Phone Call Centers In Nigeria ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.