Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,878 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins (12545 Views)

Nationwide Strike Begins Monday Midnight - NLC, TUC / Apapa Port Shut, Commuters Stranded As Warning Strike Begins In Lagos / New Minimum Wage Nationwide Strike Begins September 26 – Nigeria Labour Congress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by Nemere2020: 10:31am On Apr 06, 2021
Judiciary workers under the Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria (JUSUN) have commenced an indefinite nationwide strike, thereby shutting down the Supreme Court complex in Abuja, in line with their industrial action.

The strike began on Tuesday, based on their demands which include a financial autonomy for the judicial arm of government.

The development came as a defiance to the appeal by the Nigerian Bar Association to shelve the strike, saying it was ill-timed, considering the COVID-19 constraints the Nigerian courts had been battling within the last year.

Other Supreme Court workers who are returning from the Easter break were not able to access the complex on Tuesday as the two key judiciary institutions – the National Judicial Council (NJC) and the Federal Judicial Service Commission (FJSC) – which share the same premises with the Supreme Court were also affected.

Staff buses were also seen making a detour upon arriving at the barricaded gate of the Supreme Court.

The court located in the Three Arms Zone in Abuja, a neighbourhood it shares with the Presidential Villa and the National Assembly Complex.

Workers of both the NJC and the FJSC are part of the Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria (JUSUN), the umbrella body of all judiciary workers at all levels in the nation, and are also bound by the strike declared by the union.

The action taken by the union at the Supreme Court Tuesday morning is expected to be replicated across all Nigerian courts.

JUSUN on April 1 had issued a circular to the effect of its strike, saying it was necessitated by the failure of the federal and state governments to implement a judgment of the Federal High Court, which granted financial autonomy to the judicial arm of government.

The union stated that it had at its last National Executive meeting on March 13, 2021 in Abuja, issued a 21-day ultimatum to the government to implement the financial autonomy of the judiciary with a threat that “failure of which JUSUN will have no other option but to resume the suspended national strike action.”

“Therefore, as a result of the public holiday on April 5, 2021, the strike action has been postponed to Tuesday, April 6, 2021,” the circular partly read.

http://saharareporters.com/2021/04/06/judiciary-workers-shut-down-supreme-court-indefinite-strike-begins

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by BruncleZuma: 10:46am On Apr 06, 2021

3 Likes

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by igbarasdynasty: 10:46am On Apr 06, 2021
And some paid f0000000000ls and their generations that have never been to Nigeria in their lifetime are out there supporting a failed system while enjoying a workable system in UK

Haba!!!

32 Likes

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by Crownedjon: 10:47am On Apr 06, 2021
It is well
Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by Korllami007: 10:47am On Apr 06, 2021
Wife flexing in Dubai, husband ruling Nigeria from London, son treatment in Germany, daughter gave birth in Spain.

Buhari Media Cows: Anybody not supporting buhari is not patriotic. grin
Buy Nigeria to grow Nigeria. grin

Anybody supporting buhari should be donated to scientists for scientific experiments and for testing future vaccines. grin

58 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by sofeo(m): 10:47am On Apr 06, 2021
Ok
Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by Kylekent59: 10:47am On Apr 06, 2021
They failed us. If Onnogen wasn't removed, I know that this would not happen. What is Tanko doing about it?

Where is the president?

6 Likes

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by myola777(m): 10:47am On Apr 06, 2021
O boy see strike everywhere, even our president is not exceptional. he strikes go london. Season of strike

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by Samfloxin(m): 10:48am On Apr 06, 2021
This strike is very needful cos the judiciary has been trampled by the executive. Their autonomy is non negotiable. How can the executive be paying salary to judiciary workers meanwhile,both judiciary and executive are two different independent tiers of government? This same thing should go to the local government. State governments have for many years ruffled the local government which of course is a separate organ of government. The state governor selects care taker committee and embezzle state funds on their normal frivolities. The local governments in Nigeria should embark on a serious industrial action and should refuse to back down until they are given full autonomy.

11 Likes

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by NaMe4: 10:48am On Apr 06, 2021
E don happen
Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by AGNESikpuNNU(f): 10:48am On Apr 06, 2021
grin
Kedu nu ife mmadu ji isi kote na obodo a.

2 Likes

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by IamNumeroUno: 10:48am On Apr 06, 2021
Almost every public institution is on strike, including the president.

We are now left at the mercy of "president" Garba Shehu and vice president Malami. While Ambassador Osinbajo is running errands as usual.

I wonder why they seem not to want to ever promote Osinbajo from his role as an "errand boy".
Heard he was in Ebonyi state some few days back, while there, he stopped by the Afikpo market to check the status of his 10k loan. Damn, guy is a workaholic!

grin cheesy grin cheesy

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by elmessiahs(m): 10:48am On Apr 06, 2021
Buhari don ring bell for strike... man jakpa as e ring am
Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by Frales6(f): 10:48am On Apr 06, 2021
hmmmm. I be president no be for mouth oooo... Buhari do something oooo kwamuregeeee...
Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by D6thSense: 10:48am On Apr 06, 2021
shocked
Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by janedonez(m): 10:49am On Apr 06, 2021
Wahala
Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by Jeromejnr(m): 10:49am On Apr 06, 2021
Ezekiel 12

The word of the Lord came to me: 13 “Son of man, if a country sinsagainst me by being unfaithful and I stretch out my hand against it to cut off its food supply and send famine upon it and kill its people and their animals,14 even if these three men—Noah, Daniel and Job—were in it, they could save only themselves by their righteousness, declares the Sovereign Lord.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by Cosmore9(m): 10:49am On Apr 06, 2021
The government should quickly look into this!
Too many strikes at a time in the country. It is sad and disappointing.

Polytechnics are on strike.
Doctors are on strike.
Judiciary is on strike.

Everything is messed up for real and it's terribly sad.

1 Like

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by PHPdeveloper200: 10:50am On Apr 06, 2021
messed up country. How can this country have money to pay bandits and build rail to niger republic but don't have enough money for the judiciary?
Hi, I am a fullstack web developer. If you need custom website that can send emails and SMS to your clients, integrate payment gateway like paystack contact me in Whatsapp with the number on my profile

1 Like

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by setobaba: 10:50am On Apr 06, 2021
Nigeria is gone

The judiciary are also facing the heat

2 Likes

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by Splendor4(m): 10:50am On Apr 06, 2021
hmmm of course..
Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by Nobody: 10:50am On Apr 06, 2021
I don't even know what's keeping this nation afloat sef.

All sectors are in a comatose.

2 Likes

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by chatinent: 10:50am On Apr 06, 2021
These people were waiting for Buhari to leave.
Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by Bobotic(m): 10:51am On Apr 06, 2021
Is like am a stranger in this Nigeria sef shocked

I can't come and explain again....lai lai

2 Likes

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by lawalosky(m): 10:51am On Apr 06, 2021
Live
Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by Liodins: 10:51am On Apr 06, 2021
Every sector is either on strike or warming up to embark on strike....failed country

1 Like

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by Ogamysamo: 10:52am On Apr 06, 2021
mtchew! their strike will not even affect us
forgiveness is the next option!
no case, no court.

1 Like

Re: Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins by naiuwd: 10:52am On Apr 06, 2021
Extra Source of Income: Checkout this legitimate online business that gives me atleast ₦25k and more weekly using my phone and from home. Check my Signature for details

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Planning Fresh Attacks – JTF / 2023: Afenifere Denies Endorsing Tinubu / Firm To Build Cooking Gas Processing Plant In Anambra state

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.