Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator (25199 Views)

2023: I Can Tell You My Seat-Mates In University - Wike / Nobody Will Take My Seat In Senate’ – Dino Melaye Declares / Melaye: I Changed My Seat At The Senate Because I Saw Lion, Tiger & Snakes On It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by ijustdey: 11:29am On Apr 06, 2021
The senator for Cross River North, Stephen Odey, says INEC misinterpreted the recent Supreme Court judgement on his election.

By QueenEsther Iroanusi

The Senator representing Cross River North, Stephen Odey, has said the recent judgement by the Supreme Court on the Cross River North senatorial seat did not sack him as a senator.

He also said that he will not vacate his seat because the Supreme Court didn’t declare it vacant.

He insisted that he remained the duly elected candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the December 5 bye-election – to replace Rose Oko, who died in March, 2020.

Mr Odey, who addressed journalists in Abuja, also faulted the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) which he said, erred by issuing a certificate of return to Jarigbe Agom, relying solely on the verdict of the Supreme Court.

Messrs Odey and Agom are of the same political party, PDP. Both men claim they are the elected senator representing Cross River North senatorial district.

However, official documents from INEC and its website show that Mr Odey was the PDP candidate of the December 5 bye-election as well as winner of the election. He was issued a certificate of return on December 7 and sworn in by the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, on December 16, 2020.

Mr Agom had filed suits in Port Harcourt and FCT High Courts seeking revocation of his nomination as the PDP candidate and restraining the senate president from swearing in Mr Odey respectively.

Conflicting judgements

Two conflicting judgements from the FCT and Cross River High Courts initially upheld Messrs Jarigbe and Odey respectively as the winner of the bye election.

The FCT Court of Appeal also upheld the High Court ruling that he should (Mr Jarigbe) be accorded the rights of the PDP candidate.

Sequel to this ruling, the electoral umpire issued Mr Agom certificate of return on December 18 – an act which Mr Odey has faulted.

Both men currently hold separate Certificates of Return issued by INEC and are awaiting the decision of the senate president.

‘INEC erred, I was not sacked’

In his interaction with journalists, Mr Odey said not only did INEC err in issuing a certificate of return to Mr Agom, but that the recent judgement by the Supreme Court is being misinterpreted by many.

Part of the ruling in the judgement seen by PREMIUM TIMES read “that the preliminary objection on the competence of the service of the notice of appeal succeed.

“That the need to consider the issues raised in the appeal would therefore automatically abate” that means they were not ready to listen to anything that I wanted to talk about

“That the improper and ineffective service complained of, strike out.”

The lawmaker maintained that the ruling did not declare his seat vacant or asked that he be sacked.

“The supreme court struck out my appeal. I walked away. The order is clear.

“Did you see where they said ‘sack senator Odey’ here? Did you see where they said they invalidated his certificate here? He even wrote a letter to the Clerk, saying the Supreme Court judgement is in his favour, how?

“All court orders must be expressed. You don’t read intention into a court order. If a court does not say this, you can’t force the court to say it.”

He further said the stage where the rightful candidate was determined was resolved in two separate rulings by the Court of Appeal in Calabar.

When asked the current situation, Mr Odey said “There is no situation. I am comfortably seated as the senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. He can be going about with his certificate.”

He added that the PDP played its role well by issuing a letter to INEC saying ‘this is my candidate’.

The party, he said, also appealed to the Supreme Court saying that Mr Jarigbe was not their candidate.

Reacting to Mr Odey’s claim, INEC spokesperson, Festus Okoye, said “the matter is completely out of the hand of the commission.”

“As at the day of the election, the commission issued a certificate of return to Odey based on the election and law.

“Thereafter, there was a court judgement and the commission issued a certificate of return to Jarigbe based on order.

“This is not the first time the commission is doing this. We have in the past issued a certificate of return and then a judgement will come and we will issue another and another judgment will come and we will issue and so on,” Mr Okoye told PREMIUM TIMES on Monday.

“As far as the commission is concerned, we have done our own part based on its understanding of the law. It is now left for the leadership of the National Assembly, the Senate President to make the decision.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/453372-supreme-court-judgment-why-i-wont-vacate-my-seat-senator.html

Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by Nobody: 11:37am On Apr 06, 2021
An average Nigerian only respect themselves when forceful actions are being carried out...

9 Likes

Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by Nobody: 11:41am On Apr 06, 2021
To avoid trouble, one should be the senator while the other 1 should be deputy senator!

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by padi94(m): 11:52am On Apr 06, 2021
Shabaleen:
To avoid trouble, one should be the senator while the other 1 should be deputy senator!

Nigeria is one funny country

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by MaryamUmar2020: 12:09pm On Apr 06, 2021
shocked
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by FalseProphet1(m): 12:10pm On Apr 06, 2021
I see him vacating his seat after receiving several death threats, I see him crying to Nigerians to save him. This I have seen.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by Echokee1(m): 12:10pm On Apr 06, 2021
Okay
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by Bestcooljob: 12:11pm On Apr 06, 2021
Okay

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by Resurrection212: 12:11pm On Apr 06, 2021
Ok your salary will stop and other benefits. You will not allow to enter red chamber.
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by Lanre4uonly(m): 12:12pm On Apr 06, 2021
The more you look, the less you see when it comes to Nigeria politics.
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by careytommy37(m): 12:13pm On Apr 06, 2021
Yeah, right!

So, what else is new?
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by BigSarah(f): 12:13pm On Apr 06, 2021
See what they've done to the highest court in the land APC ehn

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by Ogamysamo: 12:13pm On Apr 06, 2021
vacate or not it's not your father property
time is coming it will still end.
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by eedimo(m): 12:13pm On Apr 06, 2021
This man thinks Ayade is Nigerian governor general or what?
A self acclaimed lawyer who doesn't understand the law.

A Federal high court and appeal courts had earlier ruled in favour of Jarigbe, You went to Supreme court to counter the decision of both courts, the sent you away; His dull brain should be able to tell him that the lower court decision stands.
Let him keep disgracing himself and his Governor general who is sponsoring him

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by Seniorwriter(m): 12:14pm On Apr 06, 2021
Insane
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by CharlesPhc: 12:14pm On Apr 06, 2021
Mr. Odey filed an appeal at the SC and his appeal was struck out due to improper service. The appeal can be re-filed at the SC since it wasn't dismissed and no Order made.

1 Like

Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by Boyooosa(m): 12:17pm On Apr 06, 2021
So dull of INEC.
How can INEC let herself be used by incompetent Nigerian court?

You issued one certificate earlier and U issued another one to another person...the second issuance, were U asked to do that?
Why didn't you obtain an order to retrieve or revoke the first one before issuing the other if at all you were ordered to issue another undefined one?

You dey there dey defend nonsense; election, law and order kii you there!
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by BruncleZuma: 12:17pm On Apr 06, 2021
grin grin grin grin
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by Splendor4(m): 12:18pm On Apr 06, 2021
APC nah disappointment
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by qualityalone: 12:19pm On Apr 06, 2021
supported
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by Phred1717: 12:20pm On Apr 06, 2021
Everybody na government for him pocket
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by meobizy(f): 12:21pm On Apr 06, 2021
Him agreeing to leave without complaint is more newsworthy. We all know Nigerian politicians do not vacate power until death claims them.

1 Like

Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by Latidoh1: 12:22pm On Apr 06, 2021
Comedy.
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by KingOKON: 12:28pm On Apr 06, 2021
He looks like a rogue
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by shevy878: 12:35pm On Apr 06, 2021
eedimo:
This man thinks Ayade is Nigerian governor general or what?
A self acclaimed lawyer who doesn't understand the law.

A Federal high court and appeal courts had earlier ruled in favour of Jarigbe, You went to Supreme court to counter the decision of both courts, the sent you away; His dull brain should be able to tell him that the lower court decision stands.
Let him keep disgracing himself and his Governor general who is sponsoring him

Olodo,so you imaging a federal high court in porthacourt will now be deciding for CRS when a federal high court sitting in calabar has already affirm S.Odey as the authentic candidate. Keep deceiving your self that Jarigbe will sit on that red chamber.
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by AMvanquish: 12:38pm On Apr 06, 2021
Judiciary has become a joke.

1 Like

Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by Danny50: 12:41pm On Apr 06, 2021
As calabar boy wey i be... Stephen odey must not vacate.
Re: Stephen Odey On Supreme Court Judgment: Why I Won’t Vacate My Seat – Senator by eedimo(m): 12:43pm On Apr 06, 2021
shevy878:

Olodo,so you imaging a federal high court in porthacourt will now be deciding for CRS when a federal high court sitting in calabar has already affirm S.Odey as the authentic candidate. Keep deceiving your self that Jarigbe will sit on that red chamber.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Regains Cheapest Petrol In West Africa Title / BREAKING: Buhari Officially Confers GCFR Title On MKO Abiola / Chinedu Eya: I Will Sell My N53m House To Purchase Ambode’s PDP Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.