Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,129 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Da Vinci Code Book - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Da Vinci Code Book (6173 Views)

Some Unknown Facts About The Mona Lisa Painting By Leonardo Da Vinci / Discussing Leonardo Da Vinci / The Da Vinci Code. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Da Vinci Code Book by babyboy2(m): 11:55pm On Jun 29, 2006
Enough said about this Da Vinci code,it is just a work of the imagination.Let us not attach too much importance to it
Re: Da Vinci Code Book by MerC2(f): 1:31pm On Jun 30, 2006
yeah I kno right, go tell that to ma parents, undecided
Re: Da Vinci Code Book by ishgold(f): 5:22pm On Jun 30, 2006
smiley i think d davinci code makes a good novel,very good imagination on the writers partand there's nothing to worry about u christians cos light will always overcome darkness
Re: Da Vinci Code Book by Chxta(m): 10:20am On Jul 22, 2006
Chxta's World

I have a confession to make. I am a bad Christian. I hardly go to church, and when I do, I sleep while the priest is talking. This state of affairs is especially worse when I go to Magodo (as I do most weekends) and on Sunday we have to go to Mass at St. Agnes's at Maryland. You see the priests there have this habit of just rambling on, so once it is time for homily, I bring out my pillow so to speak and sleep away. But it is not solely the fault of the priests. I tend to question a lot, and up until date no one has quite been able to explain to me what God meant when he and Cain had that discussion after Cain dispatched Abel:

13And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.

14Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.

15And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

16And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

17[b]And Cain knew his wife[/b]; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
(from Genesis Chapter 4 KJV)

You see, if at that point in time we only had Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel, then Cain shuffled Abel off the mortal coil, then who are the "every one that shall findeth Cain"? And who was his wife?

See what I mean? I have a document that contains 101 contradictions from the Bible, but I know that if I write on that, I will provoke only God knows what storm,

But all this I have written above is just a digression. You see, U made me go to Church this morning. So I was at Saturday morning mass at Our Lady of the Assumption at Falomo, Ikoyi. At the beginning of the mass I was already preparing for my usual cynical sleep when the priest said: "Today is the feast day of Mary Magdalene, not the wife of Jesus, but the saint of the Church."

That got my attention, and brought me to something that has been raging all over since. I have to say that I think Dan Brown's novel is bollocks from a historical perspective, and rubbish as a read. The movie is even worse. And this is from someone who has read book, and watched the movie (I am still trying to get my cash back from Silverbird!).

So, who really was Mary Magdalene?

According to the Bible (and the Catholic Church), (St.) Mary Magdalene (who is mentioned 12 times in the Gospels), was healed of demon possession by Jesus (Luke 8:2), was present at the Crucifixion and the tomb and was sent by the Jesus to the apostles to announce the Good News after he had woken up from the dead. Her feast day is celebrated July 22. Which is today.

According to Dan Brown in his book, Mary Magdalene was of royal blood (was she really?), of the tribe of Benjamin, and Jesus's wife. He claims that after the crucifixion of Jesus, Mary, pregnant with Jesus' child, moved to France (how did she get that far?) and became the root of the Merovingian royal family. He also says Jesus intended for Mary to be the head of his Church (celebrating the sacred feminine, whatever that is) but that Peter wrested power from her (never read of a power struggle last time I read the good book), suppressed evidence of Jesus' real intentions and set into motion a conspiracy to demonize Mary Magdalene.

Wow. Talk of some imagination. Last time I checked, the lady is a saint of the Catholic Church, hell, today's her feast day.

Dan Brown himself has no degree in either Religion or History, but I must say he put in a lot of research into the work, so I'll let that pass. I am a bit envious of him because I don't think that if I publish my only book till date (Almost Immortal is the name), that I'll make up to $ 2 million from it. The geezer made a whooping $ 76.5 million from his crap book! I'd read any Fred Forsythe, Robert Ludlum, Sidney Sheldon, Chinua Achebe and even SMO Aka six or seven times before reading that crap ever again. But it made more than all of them have ever made put together. Wow! Talk about cashing in on controversy. I would have to sit down and think of some very controversial topic to write about?

But read this about The Da Vinci Code, it makes for interesting reading,

Edit: Hey, I think I've gotten a controversial enough title for my next book: Why The Nigger Will Never Succeed,
Re: Da Vinci Code Book by otolorin(m): 11:56pm On Jul 22, 2006
otolorin:

in the real sense of it,
Dan Brown's DaVinci Code only helped increase or propagate the gospel on a triplicative speed

although, it spelt much cash for the producers.
let me ad to this - it was done only by bringin around a controversial argument dat eventually leads to every1 findin d roots of d contoversy - J. Christ - bringin more pple to limelight about this 1daful MAn.

Chxta:

Chxta's World

I am a bit envious of him because I don't think that if I publish my only book till date (Almost Immortal is the name), that I'll make up to $ 2 million from it. The geezer made a whooping $ 76.5 million from his crap book! I'd read any Fred Forsythe, Robert Ludlum, Sidney Sheldon, Chinua Achebe and even SMO Aka six or seven times before reading that crap ever again. But it made more than all of them have ever made put together. Wow! Talk about cashing in on controversy. I would have to sit down and think of some very controversial topic to write about?

word - bin tinkin of gettin into prints sumtin dat'll make pple lock heads 2 - just gonna take a while.
Re: Da Vinci Code Book by ck14real(m): 7:11pm On Jul 29, 2006
well u can start lying to get pple to buy yo books u know>? angry
Re: Da Vinci Code Book by otolorin(m): 8:40am On Aug 02, 2006
no be so, chairman! - you gotta be wise - you dont always have to lie!
Re: Da Vinci Code Book by Neoteny(m): 8:03pm On Aug 02, 2006
i am a muslim, a nigerian northerner and yet i am offended by the heresy of da vinci code. to base the whole premise of a probable jesus-mary magdalene love connection on the inconclusive suppositions of henry lincoln and the authors of holy blood holy grail (baigent and leigh, whose work dan brown plagiarized) is to succumb to bouts of idiocy.
neither da vinci code nor holybloodholygrail is any serious work of historical accuracy because the authors did their best to rope together a bunch of unsubstantiated hypotheses with absolutely little regard to actual history. this book is packed full of rumor, myth, legend and lots of imaginations and yet a lot of u are SERIOUSLY pondering on it. wow. just because it sold 36 billion copies don't make it any legit.

da vinci code sux as historical fact, reads great as a work of fiction.
Re: Da Vinci Code Book by otolorin(m): 11:18am On Aug 03, 2006
word - tell it to all o' 'em
Re: Da Vinci Code Book by trumic(m): 3:43pm On Sep 15, 2006
hey folks,please any one who has the word version or adobe version of angels and demons by dan brown can please forward it to my box saintjide01@yahoo.com i have the Da vinci code in word version and i will be more than willing to do an exchange deal.

save
Re: Da Vinci Code Book by alwaysvik: 12:39pm On Jun 10, 2008
I believe its a book that has a message clad in the deceptive robes of fiction. Having read his other book, Angels & Demons, its not hard to assert that. I strongly believe that Christians all over should guard their senses whist keeping their minds open. Furthermore, personal effort should be made to investigate some of the author's "beliefs" coz i for one, find some to be true.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Englis - Yoruba Offline Dictionary / Chimamanda Adichie: The Next Nigerian Nobel Laureate In Literature? / The Gift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.