Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,388 members, 7,861,066 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:57 PM

The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. (15357 Views)

How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths / Why Your High JAMB Score Is No Guarantee For Admission / JAMB: UTME Score No Guarantee For Admission Into University, Polytechnic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by maasoap(m): 6:21pm On Apr 10, 2021
GodWrites:

At this age, you just have to think outside the box, cause you know, there is competition. You have to stand out, to offer what others can't. Only few are lucky, like Bubu.

Bubu wasn't lucky, he was persistent. Contesting for the post of president for 16 years relentlessly. That's worthy of emulating
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by grandlexuz(m): 6:23pm On Apr 10, 2021
G
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by maasoap(m): 6:29pm On Apr 10, 2021
PigTormentor:
One of the biggest reasons why the country is messed up is the foolish thinking that just because you went to a university thr govt is supposed to provide a job for you.
I meet so many that will be saying "I'm a graduate ". So, that mean jack.
What's important is what can you do now for any company or investor that will bring value and ROI into the company. Your degree mean very little if that's all you've got.

Graduating or attending a university is not like in the 50s, 60s, and 70s when it was only the few, lucky and intelligent that had the opportunity. Now even a dumb ass can work their way through a university without knowing Jack.
In the US, your degree is secondary, what's most important is what experience and value can you add to the company on your first day .

You don't get it. There are not enough companies to give you the opportunity to prove yourself.
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Famousdex1: 6:32pm On Apr 10, 2021
Hmmmm
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by PigTormentor: 6:36pm On Apr 10, 2021
maasoap:

You don't get it. There are not enough companies to give you the opportunity to prove yourself.

No you don't get it.

There are not enough companies because too many people over many years have also thought that the govt should provide employment once they have a degree
Instead of thinking about entrepreneurship hence you have less and less companies to hire fresh graduates whose numbers keeps increasing due to increasing population and access to education.
When my father graduated from university they were begging him with a job simply because they were so few graduates back then.
Now the general population is exploding exponentially, with more and more graduates. Jobs and economy can't keep unless you have a very imaginative and creative population.
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by codemaniacs: 6:37pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:
Though we have some exceptions, formal education isn't always a guarantee for success especially in a country like Nigeria in this fast changing world.

Apparently, a large number of people especially in Nigeria believe that all the problems of life is only solved in the classroom which is an extremely poor way of reasoning as we have a lot of graduates who spent quality years of their lives at school with nothing solid to show for it except for knowledge of facts and figures and maybe by grace, a mediocre job.

Most graduates with good degrees are painfully left without jobs and some who managed to find one end up with low paying jobs given the circumstances, some even get employed by people who never attained the level of education they have.

Another obvious thing is that when most students graduate, they graduate at ages society deem old enough to settle and be financially independent such as ages between 27 - 35 - ages that seem like a bad and delayed start for life establishment especially as a man.

I mean if a guy graduates at such age,

At when will he get a job?
When then will he be financially stable?
When will he have enough to build a home?
When will he have enough to cater for a family?
Won't it most likely translate to perpetual poverty if he closes his eyes and starts a family?

And if a lady graduates at such age?

At when will she be financially independent if it is her desire?
When will she settle, will she dump her certificate and start to seek for a man as the recent demonstration of most ladies have shown?

And why will someone especially a random guy despite seeing all that is happening in the country choose to underestimate early skill acquisition and business learning and choose to spend his adulthood gaining more facts just to come out hustling like a drop out?

Personally, I disagree with the belief that ONLY higher education is a guarantee for success in terms of money making especially in a country like Nigeria where there are scarcity of jobs for most courses being taught in schools.

Higher education though is good, useful and efficacious, isn't an assurance for financial stability and time is crucial for everyone especially the ambitious and smart people who value it and won't choose to venture into anything they deem unproductive or likely to have less chances of success.

Better to use the early years to learn a lucrative skill or business and put it into use before the late ages than to spend a long period of time in the classroom only to come out to start hustling like a drop out.

My opinion isn't for everyone though as some people still make it through formal education but I'm just being realistic.

Out of every 200 graduates, about 20 only end up with better paying jobs, mostly based on connections. We see it in our hood everyday. Quite a issue to consider by someone who intends to start life and turn out successfully in due time.

I believe that formal education like every other form of education is just a plus to our knowledge while self education and discovery is what guarantees how far we will go in terms of money making.

Those who made fortunes today did so out of self discovery and not necessarily formal education.

Let us discover what suits us best so as not to burn our fingers later on.

I mean what do you think?

I respect your opinion but your write-up is rubbish because you used "success" as a general term you did not state if it was financial success, social success e.t.c...

only higher education is a guarantee for "employment success"... when I say employment success I mean working in big companies and getting paid comfortably...

another thing you fail to notice, is that most employers employ people from their own ethnicity. so if a person living in a state or place where that person's ethnicity does not own majority of companies there, it will take that person a long time to get employed..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 6:39pm On Apr 10, 2021
Jerewise332:

You're good bro
Can I learn from u?

Sorry bro but I don't really engage people online. That's a policy I made due to some ugly experiences some people home had
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 6:47pm On Apr 10, 2021
codemaniacs:

I respect your opinion but your write-up is rubbish because you used "success" as a general term you did not state if it was financial success, social success e.t.c...

only higher education is a guarantee for "employment success"... when I say employment success I mean working in big companies and getting paid comfortably...

another thing you fail to notice, is that most employers employ people from their own ethnicity. so if a person living in a state or place where that person's ethnicity does not own majority of companies there, it will take that person a long time to get employed..

Hmm how could you come up with that first line when you saw these statements in my post.

Personally, I disagree with the belief that ONLY higher education is a guarantee for success in terms of money making especially in a country like Nigeria where there are scarcity of jobs for most courses being taught in schools.

Higher education though is good, useful and efficacious, isn't an assurance for financial stability and time is crucial for everyone especially the ambitious and smart people who value it and won't choose to venture into anything they deem unproductive or likely to have less chances of success.

You're a talking bag of emotions. Perhaps you'll understand my writeup better if you read it with an open mind and less emotions.
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by rotadeco27: 6:48pm On Apr 10, 2021
That is why I insisted it either medicine or nothing , I was better at calculation but as young as I was I saw that if you have no body to fix you up after graduating from a course with no job security , the future would be blinking. I was pressurised to study chemical engineering because was just too good at chemistry! I never regret choosing being here . Thank God in the next few yr I will complete my neurosurgery training .
I will advise every student to learn something crafty along side especially if there is no up for a apparent job security
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by ottohan: 6:50pm On Apr 10, 2021
Miarose:
Financial outcome is not and should not be the focus of formal education.
Structured education brings about a well rounded populace which propels the development of the society.
The more educated the society is, the farther away poverty will be.
Check the statistics.....poverty is endemic in the countries with low levels of education.
While you think of trading and business to make money, everything you trade on is someone's brain child. people are innovating and inventing, the western world pour billions of dollars into research and product development.
Education aids innovation and provides solution the world's problems.
Everything must not be measure in naira and kobo.
Beautiful piece...
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Micholo5(m): 7:02pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:
Though we have some exceptions, formal education isn't always a guarantee for success especially in a country like Nigeria in this fast changing world.

Apparently, a large number of people especially in Nigeria believe that all the problems of life is only solved in the classroom which is an extremely poor way of reasoning as we have a lot of graduates who spent quality years of their lives at school with nothing solid to show for it except for knowledge of facts and figures and maybe by grace, a mediocre job.

Most graduates with good degrees are painfully left without jobs and some who managed to find one end up with low paying jobs given the circumstances, some even get employed by people who never attained the level of education they have.

Another obvious thing is that when most students graduate, they graduate at ages society deem old enough to settle and be financially independent such as ages between 27 - 35 - ages that seem like a bad and delayed start for life establishment especially as a man.

I mean if a guy graduates at such age,

At when will he get a job?
When then will he be financially stable?
When will he have enough to build a home?
When will he have enough to cater for a family?
Won't it most likely translate to perpetual poverty if he closes his eyes and starts a family?

And if a lady graduates at such age?

At when will she be financially independent if it is her desire?
When will she settle, will she dump her certificate and start to seek for a man as the recent demonstration of most ladies have shown?

And why will someone especially a random guy despite seeing all that is happening in the country choose to underestimate early skill acquisition and business learning and choose to spend his adulthood gaining more facts just to come out hustling like a drop out?

Better to use the early years to learn a lucrative skill or business and put it into use before the late ages than to spend a long period of time in the classroom only to come out to start hustling like a drop out.

My opinion isn't for everyone though as some people still make it through formal education but I'm just being realistic.

Out of every 200 graduates, about 20 only end up with better paying jobs, mostly based on connections. We see it in our hood everyday. Quite a issue to consider by someone who intends to start life and turn out successfully in due time.

I believe that formal education like every other form of education is just a plus to our knowledge while self education and discovery is what guarantees how far we will go in terms of money making.

Those who made fortunes today did so out of self discovery and not necessarily formal education.

Let us discover what suits us best so as not to burn our fingers later on.

I mean what do you think?

Skill Acquisition is key, the Nigerian Education system does not offer value.

In most cases, you'll be paid for what you can do.

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Jerewise332(m): 7:08pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:

Sorry bro but I don't really engage people online. That's a policy I made due to some ugly experiences some people home had

Why my turn na
But no p

1 Like

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by ModestGal(f): 7:18pm On Apr 10, 2021
Hmmn
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by XOGBADO(m): 7:24pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:

God bless you for sharing your experience sir.

Time is very crucial and thankfully some youths have smartened up. Unlike those days, how many people nowadays really have time to spend 4, 5, or even 8 years to study a course or even a skill when the chances of getting a reasonable income from it are evidently slim. Time itself is very important and should be used wisely as the people of the world say.

Until people's minds are healed and cleared of the mentality that only high formal education guarantees success, there will be a transformation financially in most lives. As soon as we get rid of that delusion, we might find the wealth and happiness that have always eluded us.

Mods please help push for more views

I want to learn from you, help me recommend a book to read. Thanks
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by VULCAN(m): 7:32pm On Apr 10, 2021
Meaning that everyone who finishes Nigerian university at 22 goes on to make it in life.

The weed you smoke is strong oo

iampeterben:
You made some valid points Mr. OP but I don't agree with your opinion, I will rephrase mine to be early completion of education guarantees success.

1 Like

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 7:49pm On Apr 10, 2021
XOGBADO:

In all honesty bro, I learnt a lot of things from experiences both from mine and others but I guarantee one book and 2 apps that have helped me positively .

- The Holy Bible, the book of proverbs specifically from beginning to end
- Psychology facts - from playstore. Psychology is a must know for anyone who wants to relate with life better especially as a guy and last but not least
- Attitude quotes - contains a copious amount of true knowledge and life revelations, also some funny and catchy quotes cool

If you willingly and faithfully access the information in these great writeups, you will be someone far better than now, that I assure you

3 Likes

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by tommy589(m): 8:08pm On Apr 10, 2021
Miarose:
Financial outcome is not and should not be the focus of formal education.
Structured education brings about a well rounded populace which propels the development of the society.
The more educated the society is, the farther away poverty will be.
Check the statistics.....poverty is endemic in the countries with low levels of education.
While you think of trading and business to make money, everything you trade on is someone's brain child. people are innovating and inventing, the western world pour billions of dollars into research and product development.
Education aids innovation and provides solution the world's problems.
Everything must not be measure in naira and kobo.

Your comment is the best I have read here.

I have limited education,but when people tend to downgrade the value of tertiary education as waste of time,due to unemployment I just shake my head. Though 90% we interviewed don't deserve degrees.

When you get admission, learn very well, you will get job. Educated people draft economic policies of a nation,they hold the ace.what can a tokunbo product trader or importer do if the importation is stopped to conserve forex?
It is when we restructure our educational system to provide the technicians,not paper tigers, from extractive stage to refining etc before we will move forward and reduce unemployment

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by briggson07(m): 8:21pm On Apr 10, 2021
Live in the now

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by XOGBADO(m): 8:26pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:

In all honesty bro, I learnt a lot of things from experiences both from mine and others but I guarantee one book and 2 apps that have helped me positively .

- The Holy Bible, the book of proverbs specifically from beginning to end
- Psychology facts - from playstore. Psychology is a must know for anyone who wants to relate with life better especially as a guy and last but not least
- Attitude quotes - contains a copious amount of true knowledge and life revelations, also some funny and catchy quotes cool

If you willingly and faithfully access the information in these great writeups, you will be someone far better than now, that I assure you

Wow!
Thank you so much, I'm starting this journey right away. I really appreciate
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Hassanmaye(m): 8:28pm On Apr 10, 2021
Matheusmartin:
I doubt if there is anyone out there that still thinks high school qualification quarantee success..

However, the importance of education is what you see in the difference between Northern and southern nigeria..

You must be deaf and blind, you think Nigeria is 1960's
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by lolu2019: 8:30pm On Apr 10, 2021
tommy589:

Your comment is the best I have read here.

I have limited education,but when people tend to downgrade the value of tertiary education as waste of time,due to unemployment I just shake my head. Though 90% we interviewed don't deserve degrees.

When you get admission, learn very well, you will get job. Educated people draft economic policies of a nation,they hold the ace.what can a tokunbo product trader or importer do if the importation is stopped to conserve forex?
It is when we restructure our educational system to provide the technicians,not paper tigers, from extractive stage to refining etc before we will move forward and reduce unemployment
that is what everyone is saying. the system failed us. and parents also need to think beyond getting a university degree. I wanted to be a footballer as a child.i never liked school.but just because I don't want to disobey,i am being affected by the pandemic.footballers everywhere are still earning big big cash during this period.

1 Like

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by codemaniacs: 8:31pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:

Hmm how could you come up with that first line when you saw these statements in my post.

You're a talking bag of emotions. Perhaps you'll understand my writeup better if you read it with an open mind and less emotions.

Higher education is the bedrock of financial stability because it provides a job for the person to get paid every month. It's not every month some entrepreneurs get paid.
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Hassanmaye(m): 8:32pm On Apr 10, 2021
jamiudinho:

if u are in Lagos find a hausa guy to run it for u cos they hardly disappoint but our southern guys most of Dem are thief
Hahahhahhahaha grin grin
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by calcal: 8:37pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:

I have made reasonable money from my electrical works copious enough to erect a self contain at age 21. I have also bought 3 keke and gotten two people who rent it everyday to bring back home an amount of #1, 500 daily each along with my freelancing and online businesses.

Some people just don't take time to think things through.

Are you a graduate?
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by codemaniacs: 8:40pm On Apr 10, 2021
lolu2019:
that is what everyone is saying. the system failed us. and parents also need to think beyond getting a university degree. I wanted to be a footballer as a child.i never liked school.but just because I don't want to disobey,i am being affected by the pandemic.footballers everywhere are still earning big big cash during this period.

Not every footballer earns big cash. To play football or any sports you have to be enrolled in a football academy or sports academy to get football or sports education.
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by The5DME(m): 8:41pm On Apr 10, 2021
XOGBADO:

Download everybook written by robert kiyasoki

1 Like

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 8:44pm On Apr 10, 2021
XOGBADO:

Wow!
Thank you so much, I'm starting this journey right away. I really appreciate

You're welcome bro

1 Like

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 8:44pm On Apr 10, 2021
calcal:

Are you a graduate?
No
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by lolu2019: 8:45pm On Apr 10, 2021
codemaniacs:

Not every footballer earns big cash. To play football or any sports you have to be enrolled in a football academy or sports academy to get football or sports education.
the pandemic did not affect them like all dis companies.that is what I am trying to say. I hate dis country.

1 Like

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Damminix: 8:51pm On Apr 10, 2021
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by codemaniacs: 8:54pm On Apr 10, 2021
lolu2019:
the pandemic did not affect them like all dis companies.that is what I am trying to say. I hate dis country.

The pandemic affected many clubs. Some clubs have closed down. You should say it didn't affect some big clubs.

Look at schalke 04 league position.
Some clubs in some big leagues got financial aid from their country's F.A.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

15 Things You Didn't Know About Snakes (photos) / ASUU Strike: Lecturers Meet FG Delegation, Fix Another Meeting For Monday / Uniben 2009/2010 Post Ume Result Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.