Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,488 members, 7,816,154 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Marriage Vow - Igbo Help Appreciated - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage Vow - Igbo Help Appreciated (1158 Views)

Why Cant Marriage Vow Stop Couples From Cheating ? / OPINION: If You Know You can't Keep To Your Marital Vow, Please, Remain Single! / The Importance Of A Marriage Vow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage Vow - Igbo Help Appreciated by Gera1980(f): 2:01pm On Apr 19, 2011
Kedu everyone,

I am looking for some kind of expressions of love in Igbo. Not just "I love you", but something more subtle.

Explanation: As some of you may remember, I am a German girl. I am in love with an Igbo man (living in Germany) for about 1,5 years now and we are going to get married soon. For some months now I am taking some effort to learn Igbo and I would love to "surprise" my husband-to-be by doing my mariage vow in igbo.

So any kind of help is highly appreciated.

Imela,
Geraldine
Re: Marriage Vow - Igbo Help Appreciated by ifyalways(f): 2:21pm On Apr 19, 2011
Gera1980:

Kedu everyone,

I am looking for some kind of expressions of love in Igbo. Not just "I love you", but something more subtle.

Explanation: As some of you may remember, I am a German girl. I am in love with an Igbo man (living in Germany) for about 1,5 years now and we are going to get married soon. For some months now I am taking some effort to learn Igbo and I would love to "surprise" my husband-to-be by doing my mariage vow in igbo.

So any kind of help is highly appreciated.

Imela,
Geraldine
You want just ur vows or other endearing phrases?

Why don't u write ur vow here in English then we can help u translate in Igbo?

Bonus for ur efforts,call him [i]Nkem[/i . . .mine. cheesy tonight and watch him do you many many many sweet things.
Re: Marriage Vow - Igbo Help Appreciated by amumex: 2:40pm On Apr 19, 2011
See the following

Obim di na nke gi
'My heart is in yours'

Onwe gi onye di ka gi di mu oma
'No one is like you my husband'

Omaricha nwoke oma
'the most handsome man'

Nwoke di ora nma
'a man that evryone adore'

A gam ahughi n'anya mgbe n'ile
'i will love you always'
Re: Marriage Vow - Igbo Help Appreciated by Gera1980(f): 3:22pm On Apr 19, 2011
Thank you so much for your fast replies!

@Ifyalways: We are allowed to write our own vows, which is fortune and "misery" at the same time. There is so much to say and it is already difficult to find the most meaningful words in your own language. And translations usually don't make things easier as sometimes meaningfulthings get lost. I have read some "traditional" (engl.) vows which sum up my feelings in a very good way, but then I think, I am allowed to say it in my own words, so I don't want to stick to the traditional phrases too much. To make a long story short: I am not yet done with writing my vow in english. But I will post it (or parts of it) as soon as I am happy with it.

@amumex: Thank you for these really nice examples. Ozi ịkwara anyi dị bara uru.

Imela na ngọzi Chineke,
Geraldine
Re: Marriage Vow - Igbo Help Appreciated by johnjoel(m): 3:39pm On Apr 20, 2011
how old is you 40.,, cool shocked
Re: Marriage Vow - Igbo Help Appreciated by Gera1980(f): 9:33am On Apr 21, 2011
Hi Johnjoel,

I don't know why my age matters regarding to my questions, but as my name and my profile state I am born in 1980 and thus am 30 years.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Mother Who Had Quins On The Nhs / Kids Lose Lawsuit Against Their "bad Mother" / Is This Feelings Natural?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.