Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,763 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program (15588 Views)

Should I Continue With The Job Or Resign With Immediate Effect? / Should I Continue With My Bank Cleaner Job Or Work In The Filling Station / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by efiembo: 5:57pm On May 01, 2021
Be, I advice you stick to your job and find a way to get project defence done in code.
You'll get a better job offer with masters yea, but its nt a certainty.

Tell your boss you are running a program, he/hr will surely give you encouraging.

Then on issue of you returning to the job after your masters,if you have that liberty still look for a way to combine else quit and return
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by hakeem4(m): 5:57pm On May 01, 2021
Blessynene:
Hello nairalanders pls I need your unbiased advice.

So I started my MSc program long before the lockdown since I had no job and needed to upgrade, after class work and examination the lockdown couldn't allow me complete my project lab work, all these while I was actively looking for a job.

Luckily I got one with a private firm and decent pay (110k) but doesn't give me time to do any other thing, now my project defence is in a months time, I applied for 6 weeks leave without pay so I can concentrate and complete my project and defence since my job is overly demanding but was denied.

My only option is to resign and come back to re-apply for the job after my defense, I seriously need this job because I have alot of financial responsibilities at the moment.

I am tempted to to let go of the defence for now and focus on the job till am financially stable.

Pls I need your candid advice.
stay with the job, your mac won't put food on the table
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by Chukwudi4naija(m): 5:58pm On May 01, 2021
There is no guarantee you will even get a job after the MSc. Let alone getting a better one. In private sector your skills and experience matter most.

4 Likes

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by Dexter001(m): 5:59pm On May 01, 2021
Blessynene:

So I started my MSc program long before the lockdown since I had no job and needed to upgrade, after class work and examination the lockdown couldn't allow me complete my project lab work, all these while I was actively looking for a job.

Luckily I got one with a private firm and decent pay (110k) but doesn't give me time to do any other thing, now my project defence is in a months time, I applied for 6 weeks leave without pay so I can concentrate and complete my project and defence since my job is overly demanding but was denied.

My only option is to resign and come back to re-apply for the job after my defense, I seriously need this job because I have alot of financial responsibilities at the moment.

I am tempted to to let go of the defence for now and focus on the job till am financially stable.

Are you done with your lab work? IF you're done with done with the lab work, you should seek for a week casual leave to finish up. Don't resign from that job.

2 Likes

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by Olaideolayemi(m): 6:00pm On May 01, 2021
Looking at the situation at hand are very risky,job aren't available,only few are hijacked with opportunities and connection..Since is a Master degree,y don't you explained your situation to your H.O.D of your department or coordinator of your program.. whether there's a way to help you out?Master degree is very expensive and to start again may not be easy as you think, It's better to equates the two for better future.. Don't leave the job, likewise don't leave the master degree.. Balanced the two by taking the biggest risk in protecting the two..But I know you can't lose the Master certificate,if you can take a good step..best of luck..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by Skillsnigeria: 6:01pm On May 01, 2021
hmmm, follow your heart
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by Nobody: 6:02pm On May 01, 2021
Did you get the job by connection?As a graduate,it is hard to get a job of #80k without connection.

2 Likes

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by JamesE22: 6:02pm On May 01, 2021
Obasanjoslim:
pls don't play with your job..there is no job in Nigeria now
....hold the one you have now with strong hands.. who master help for this country....

Good point
I was thinking same
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by Chirowman(m): 6:03pm On May 01, 2021
If you are financially capable to sustain yourself during your msc .then go for the MSC but if No , your major priority is finance and looking at the country right now getting job isn't easy.so get enough money and quit the job for MSC .
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by Yankee101: 6:06pm On May 01, 2021
Try doing both
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by donestk(m): 6:09pm On May 01, 2021
What are you mastering?

Go for the job pls

2 Likes

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by chinchonglee(m): 6:10pm On May 01, 2021
Blessynene:

Babe leave that defense ooo...
To get back job would be so difficult

1 Like

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by massingale(m): 6:14pm On May 01, 2021
Are u sure ??

Kindly upload some feedbacks !!

Huangy111:
Vvvvv
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by samwillyco1(m): 6:14pm On May 01, 2021
No even try leave your job for MSC completion

Some are with masters and PhD without JOB

3 Likes

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by BigDawsNet: 6:16pm On May 01, 2021
You can continue with your masters

But it's possible you gonna loose that job post

Even when you try to connect back...they may not consider you anymore...

If you can pend your masters, that's fine

If not...just finish it up

God will help u secure better job
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by BigDawsNet: 6:17pm On May 01, 2021
You can continue with your masters

But it's possible you gonna loose that job post

Even when you try to connect back...they may not consider you anymore...

If you can pend your masters, that's fine

If not...just finish it up

God will help u secure better job
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by Maj196(m): 6:18pm On May 01, 2021
If you go back for that masters you will regret it

1 Like

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by ModestGal(f): 6:21pm On May 01, 2021
If you are a doc, medical lab scientists or other fields that have easy job access, kindly quit your job and finish Masters, if not, kindly leave MSC. I know more than 10people with PhD that cannot boast of #10000 job. Be wise, Msc is nothing in Nigeria for many courses. May you not regret

3 Likes

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by simhosting: 6:24pm On May 01, 2021
110 is not decent. So go and complete your masters
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by Mighty976: 6:26pm On May 01, 2021
Pls continue with your job..

Good evening to you all, I need job biko. Teaching job don tire me.. I earn 25k as a graduate.. Help me pls
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:27pm On May 01, 2021
Blessynene:

Are you serious?

You're done with all your exams, save for project and you just won't get it over and done with?

I understand the pressure of wanting to stabilise and settle in a job, but finish what you started.

Ask for 4 weeks' leave with no pay, so they understand that you really need it.

If they still refuse, then tender a resignation. I doubt they'll accept it. They'll give you the leave you need.

If they still don't give you the leave, then please leave, they don't value you. If you don't complete the project now, when will you complete it ?

1 Like

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by samwillyco1(m): 6:28pm On May 01, 2021
Thegracefulness:
Since your company has refused to let you grow (putting it bluntly here now), it’s best you weigh your odds. How long do you think you could work in a company with only a B.Sc degree?

At the instance of them sacking you—nobody prays for that, but really—how many other jobs would rightfully employ you with just a B.Sc? Also, don’t you think there’s something wrong with your employer refusing to grant you something as common as a month’s “unpaid” leave?
If you ask me, I’d say there’s some sort of parasitic non-symbiotic relations going on.
I’d advice that you take a “Sick Leave.”
According to The Labour Policy articulated in 1975, by the Mohammed/Obasanjo’s government, every employee is entitled to a sick leave.
That being said, I wish you luck. Don’t leave your work without sufficiently satisfying yourself that upon your return, you still have your job available.

In my case, I’d love to find out from anybody experienced on this issue bothering me.
I have an LLB currently, I’d love to further my degree to my Master’s level. I am considering a Masters in Law (LL.M) in University of Lagos. I’m wondering if it would be possible also, to pursue a Master’s in Political Science with my LLB in same University. And what are the possibilities that I can lecture “Political Science” in a Nigerian University with an LLB, and a Masters in Political Science? Thank you very much.

I also need funds for my Masters degree. Hence I’d be selling Landed properties in Igbo-Etche Port Harcourt at really affordable prices. Please do well to relate me to buyers, or check my profile.
Na community dey get pikin wey do well.

Doing both at the same time in one University in NIGERIA is not possible.
Secondly, I think you have to obtain certificate in EDUCATION be you can land a lecturing JOB in the Government owned Higher institutions in this country
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by mrksquare: 6:28pm On May 01, 2021
Blessynene:

Defer the Msc program. I have a friend who is a PhD holder without a job. Beside in the labour market what really counts isn't the array of degree one possesses but the experience one has garnered on account of years of working.

Put the Msc program on temporary hold or better still you can save and explore online option in foreign universities. Online affords the flexibility that suits working class people.

3 Likes

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by emecheboy2(m): 6:29pm On May 01, 2021
You better finish you masters. By the grace of God you will have another job.
Blessynene:

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by donvicky2007: 6:35pm On May 01, 2021
OP, in most schools the maximum year of masters program is 4years and minimum is 18months, if you have not spent upto 4years in your MSC program, please forget the defense, you can come back the next year to complete and defend your project.

OP if you resign from your job there are thousand and one person that is ready to snap up your job.

2 Likes

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by Originalsly: 6:39pm On May 01, 2021
Blessynene:

my project defence is in a months time

Are you sure schools will be opened in months time? What if you resign .... then there is a strike.... 4th or whatever COVID-19 wave... or schools needing more time to put Covid protocols in place? But then failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Your employer knows your situation.... I suggest you propose working extra hours for 4 days and having the fifth day off to concentrate on your project. Your employer should flex with you... but if not....you need to work as long as possible to save as much as possible before resigning. After, I suggest you look for employment elsewhere.

Ehmmmm..... how can I.... your Oga... allow you.... a female.... to go and get higher qualifications than I? .... God forbid.....not under my watch....the future will not be female.
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by Funkybabee(f): 6:40pm On May 01, 2021
God is always faithful brother Biko complete your master project

They said opportunity come but once but remember that God only judge through our heart.

he will surely replace it
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:43pm On May 01, 2021
mrksquare:

Defer the Msc program. I have a friend who is a PhD holder without a job. Beside in the labour market what really counts isn't the array of degree one possesses but the experience one has garnered on account of years of working.

Put the Msc program on temporary hold or better still you can save and explore online option in foreign universities. Online affords the flexibility that suits working class people.

That's how she'll wake up, two years flown by and still stuck in that company with an incomplete education.

1 Like

Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by realking(m): 6:44pm On May 01, 2021
Hello,

This is a fragile situation with neither yes nor no as a definite answer.
Did u discuss with your employer before applying for the leave? Did you disclose the MSC project defence to d employer? I do not think that they would have denied you the leave if you had opened up to them. May be they would have reduced the number of days requested.
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by Bucky001(m): 6:50pm On May 01, 2021
stubbornman:
No job will give you six weeks leave...c'mon let's be realistic!

Put it rightly, only few private jobs in our today's economy could grant six weeks of leave
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by lawrenzooo: 6:51pm On May 01, 2021
Tough one. God would guide u in making the right decision
Re: Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program by Liverpoolfc(m): 6:52pm On May 01, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos State Ministry Of Health Sacks Health Care Workers In The State / Police Celebrate Frank Mba's Birthday (Video) / Human Resource Management In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.