Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why (6204 Views)

65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew / How Did Mmesoma Ejikeme Knew That She Scores The Highest In The Whole Nigeria? / Goodbye Plastic Dishes… SA Innovation Hub Makes Bowls You Can Also Eat! (PIX) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by philfearon(m): 3:23pm On Apr 13, 2021
We have all grown up with the popular saying that a lion never eats grass no matter the hunger or lack of meat to devour. Well, that may be true to an extent, but not entirely true. As opposed to the popular proverb, Lions actually do eat grass.

Not long ago, I was watching animal documentaries on NatGeo Wild when the video of a Lion eating grass was shown. I'm sure, if it was you, you would have also been fixated to know what is happening.

Well, after watching the documentary, I went further to research and see if it was true and it turned out to b factually correct that Lion's do eat grass in fact. However, they do it for a different reason altogether.

Lions are carnivores and invariably, they eat a lot of meat - a male lion can consume an average of 7kg of meat per day while the females can eat about 4kg of meat a day. Their insatiable greed and hunger for meat also makes them automatic scavengers, muscling out weaker cats, hyenas, wolves and wild dogs whenever the occasion arises. But, this is mostly for Lions in the wild. Yet, it is noted that Lion's are actually Omnivores and do forage for vegetables and fruits from time to time to supplement their meat diet.

Lions have been seen munching grasses. The reason they do this is to cause a stomach upset and allow them vomit things that may be irritating their stomach. For the domestic Lions, they eat grass because it is easily available and therefore they munch away as much as they can.

In a nutshell, eating grass helps Lions deal with stomach upset and indigestion. When Lions eat indigestible parts of other animals like feathers and furs, eating grass helps them vomit it or discard of it in some other way.

Watch the video ===> Lion Eating Grass

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by adash101: 3:49pm On Apr 13, 2021
This particular one get fever nah cure be this.

7 Likes

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by illicit(m): 4:23pm On Apr 13, 2021
Dogs eat grass too

They do it to induce vomiting

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by WoundedLamb: 4:31pm On Apr 13, 2021
Well, if it's medicinal, I wouldn't say they eat grass. That would make it look like they feed on it. It's just like saying humans eat paracetamol. Lol. Anyway, I hope they know the dangers of self medication. undecided

OP, thanks for sharing.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by WoundedLamb: 4:33pm On Apr 13, 2021
illicit:
Dogs eat grass too

They do it to stimulate vomiting

Well, dogs are omnivores so eating grass shouldn't come as a surprise.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by ClassicMan202(m): 4:52pm On Apr 13, 2021
All those prophecies...

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by illicit(m): 4:55pm On Apr 13, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Dogs eating cooked food or vegetables may not be surprising but not raw grass

It's a surprise, seeing dog eat grass like goat

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by IamMichael(m): 4:55pm On Apr 13, 2021
WoundedLamb:
Well, if it's medicinal, I wouldn't say they eat grass. That would make it look like they feed on it. It's just like saying humans eat paracetamol. Lol. Anyway, I hope they know the dangers of self medication.

OP, thanks for sharing.

grin

Self medication... LMAO

7 Likes

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by davillian(m): 5:01pm On Apr 13, 2021
They all eat grass
Chickens to dogs to lion....
Greens is good for everyone

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by WoundedLamb: 5:04pm On Apr 13, 2021
illicit:

Dogs eating cooked food or vegetables may not be surprising but not raw grass

It's a surprise, seeing dog eat grass like goat

Well, maybe to you. I personally don't find it surprising that an omnivorous animal eats grass, cooked or not. I've always believed that since dogs can eat cooked and uncooked meat, they can always eat cooked and uncooked plants. Just like we humans don't go around eating grass like goats but do so when we need to, dogs do practically do the same.

But then again, maybe it's just cause I've seen it a lot of times, and it's also in all the veterinary handbooks I've been given after registering with any clinic.
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by illicit(m): 5:07pm On Apr 13, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Well, maybe to you. I personally don't find it surprising that an omnivorous animal eats grass, cooked or not. I've always believed that since dogs can eat cooked and uncooked meat, they can always eat cooked and uncooked plants. Just like we humans don't go around eating grass like goats but do so when we need to, dogs do practically do the same.

But then again, maybe it's just cause I've seen it a lot of times, and it's also in all the veterinary handbooks I've been given after registering with any clinic.

I am omnivorous but I don't eat grass

My dogs don't eat raw meat as well

Dogs eating grass is surprising bro

If someone saw u eating grass, won't such person be surprised
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by WoundedLamb: 5:27pm On Apr 13, 2021
illicit:

Bro, surprise is relative. Something I've always known for as long as I can remember can't be a surprise to me, can it? You were surprised cause you didn't expect it. Now that you know, would you still be surprised when you see that happening? Many people who have always had dogs from thier childhoods know dogs eat grasses when they need to, and that's not out of place cause they are omnivorous. On the other hand, lion are considered carnivores thus the news. You catch my drift?

Dogs can eat raw meet. They have the ability to eat and digest uncooked meat. That you've chosen to train yours with cooked food doesn't change that. What you've chosen to feed your dog with is your choice but that doesn’t change anything. Again, like I said in my post, humans don't go about eating grasses but they do when they need to. Some grasses are medicinal while some are used to cook in some parts of the world. So I'd not be surprised if I read that anywhere too. Neither you nor your dog defines the entirety of humans and dogs so I don't really know why you're being specific about yourself and your dog.

5 Likes

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by Kondomatic(m): 5:30pm On Apr 13, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Cats eat grass too
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by Randy100: 5:34pm On Apr 13, 2021
illicit:

We chew garden egg leaf (anyara). I'm happy you are speaking for yourself.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by meobizy(f): 6:17pm On Apr 13, 2021
Nice one. Thanks. I’ve noticed that carnivorous animals eat grass from time to time. Cows and horses can also eat meat to balance nutritional defects.

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by PAWG(m): 6:23pm On Apr 13, 2021
WoundedLamb:
Well, if it's medicinal, I wouldn't say they eat grass. That would make it look like they feed on it. It's just like saying humans eat paracetamol. Lol. Anyway, I hope they know the dangers of self medication.

OP, thanks for sharing.

You’re something else cheesy

4 Likes

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by illicit(m): 7:13pm On Apr 13, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Bro, surprise is relative. Something I've always known for as long as I can remember can't be a surprise to me, can it? You were surprise cause you didn't expect it. Now that you know, would you still be surprised when you see that happening? Many people who have always had dogs from thier childhoods know dogs eat grasses when they need to, and that's not out of place cause they are omnivorous. On the other hand, lion are considered carnivores thus the news. You catch my drift?

Dogs can eat raw meet. They have the ability to eat and digest uncooked meat. That you've chosen to train yours with cooked food doesn't change that. What you've chosen to feed your dog with is your choice but that doesn’t change anything. Again, like I said in my post, humans don't go about eating grasses but they do when they need to. Some grasses are medicinal while some are used to cook in some parts of the world. So I'd not be surprised if I read that anywhere too. Neither you nor your dog defines the entirety of humans and dogs so I don't really know why you're being specific about yourself and your dog.

I hear u

We both like argument

tongue
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by illicit(m): 7:14pm On Apr 13, 2021
Randy100:
We chew garden egg leaf (anyara). I'm happy you are speaking for yourself.

What does it do, it must be an herb
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by WoundedLamb: 7:23pm On Apr 13, 2021
illicit:

I hear u

We both like argument

tongue
grin

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by jaszplus12(m): 7:39pm On Apr 13, 2021
illicit:
Dogs eat grass too

Chicken eat grass too....when they have stomach ache .... according to the elders in my village...

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by illicit(m): 7:43pm On Apr 13, 2021
jaszplus12:

Chicken eat grass too....when they have stomach ache .... according to the elders in my village...

One crate of trophy for d elders dem

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by jaszplus12(m): 8:05pm On Apr 13, 2021
illicit:

One crate of trophy for d elders dem
Hahaha hahaha...they shall get it!! Thank you

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by Matheusmartin: 8:06pm On Apr 13, 2021
illicit:
Dogs eat grass too

U are good.

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by Nobody: 8:07pm On Apr 13, 2021
Dogs and domestic cats eat raw meat like lions.

Many Nigerians won't know because of scarcity.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by Nobody: 8:39pm On Apr 13, 2021
Grass = flagyl to a lion.

Lions eat grass when they have stomach upset.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by ChangedMan1999(m): 9:00pm On Apr 13, 2021
I have seen a dog eating grass live.

And I have seen a horse eating a live chick, in YouTube.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by pek(m): 9:06pm On Apr 13, 2021
The plural of lion is lions!

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by chrisifeanyi: 9:49pm On Apr 13, 2021
Our local dog then normally pick grasses to eat whenever he's having stomach upset. They do it for medicinal purpose.
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by luminouz(m): 9:54pm On Apr 13, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Bro, surprise is relative. Something I've always known for as long as I can remember can't be a surprise to me, can it? You were surprised cause you didn't expect it. Now that you know, would you still be surprised when you see that happening? Many people who have always had dogs from thier childhoods know dogs eat grasses when they need to, and that's not out of place cause they are omnivorous. On the other hand, lion are considered carnivores thus the news. You catch my drift?

I never see woman wey like argument and wahala like you. Marrying you will shorten my lifespan with arguments and drama, by 45 years.

See epistle on simple issue. You no dey taya. Such a ball of unbridled drama

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by WoundedLamb: 10:03pm On Apr 13, 2021
luminouz:

I never see woman wey like argument and wahala like you. Marrying you will shorten my lifespan with arguments and drama, by 45 years.

See epistle on simple issue. You no dey taya. Such a ball of unbridled drama

@bolded, eewww!

If I were a lion, I'd eat grass cause of the stomach upset those words gave me.
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by luminouz(m): 10:05pm On Apr 13, 2021
WoundedLamb:

@bolded, eewww!

If I were a lion, I'd eat grass cause of the stomach upset those words gave me.

See? You no dey disappoint.

Drama lover
Re: I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why by WoundedLamb: 10:07pm On Apr 13, 2021
luminouz:

See? You no dey disappoint.

Drama lover

Yeah, bro. Like you aren't doing the same.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Neco Registration Closing Date / 2012 May/june External Waec Registration / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.