Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,063 members, 7,810,965 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. (10820 Views)

A Pot Of Soup I Prepared Today (4,900) / Burnt meals,share your experience! / Man Using Python For Pepper Soup In Port Harcourt. Online Users React (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by mariahAngel(f): 5:37pm On Apr 13, 2021
I'll go first. Of course. cheesy

The first soup I ever made was ogbono soup.
I was about 10, and mum just thrust it upon from nowhere like "you're cooking ogbono soup tomorrow!" without asking if I can (I always watch her cook)
My heart sank when she said that, and in my mind, I was like "oh my God! Oh my God!" embarassed
That night, I swear, I hardly slept a wink.

Then came the day of reckoning, all ingredients lined out, I did everything exactly as mum would, step by step.
After adding the ground ogbono mix, I added water to a moderate level and stirred but there was no slime. NO SLIME! In my mind "God help me! God help me!" I screamed embarassed
I stirred the watery soup, covered and left it to boil. "Mum would be so disappointed" I thought, feeling disappointed. embarassed
Going back to check on the soup some few minutes later, I opened the pot and stirred again and EUREKA! THERE WAS THAT SLIME! grin

It was a memorable experience and a big win for me that day. Of course, mum praised me to the high heavens! Hmmm! cool

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Anigreat: 5:38pm On Apr 13, 2021
shocked

But you still dont know how to cook till this day darling apart from cooking junks.

2 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by mariahAngel(f): 5:41pm On Apr 13, 2021
Anigreat:
shocked

But you still dont know how to cook till this day darling apart from cooking junks.

That's not true sweetheart.
You don't know me.

Yes, I am a great cook!

6 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Anigreat: 5:45pm On Apr 13, 2021
mariahAngel:

That's not true sweetheart.

You don't know me.

shocked

Dont mind me, i am just being silly. I know you're good in kitchen, i wish to be like you someday.

5 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Kondomatic(m): 5:47pm On Apr 13, 2021
I was very very young when I started cooking so I can't remember my first time.

3 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by mariahAngel(f): 5:47pm On Apr 13, 2021
Anigreat:

shocked

Dont mind me, i am just being silly. I know you're good in kitchen, i wish to be like you someday.

Thank you.

Just being yourself is enough.

7 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Anigreat: 5:50pm On Apr 13, 2021
mariahAngel:

Just being yourself is enough.

shocked

Awwww
Thank you darling.

1 Like

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by mariahAngel(f): 5:53pm On Apr 13, 2021
Kondomatic:
I was very very young when I started cooking so I can't remember my first time.

It's always memorable, so try to remember... cheesy
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by pocohantas(f): 5:56pm On Apr 13, 2021
Okazi soup was the FIRST SOUP I made. I was about 14 then and having watched my mum cook it all my life, I was convinced I would ace it- for a rookie at least.

My problem started when I was trying to make the akpuruakpu (moulded egusi) and it refused to bring out oil, which was the ultimate test of its finesse. I added more osu, for where?! Finally I picked up the mortar and headed for my neighbour’s house. Not the same compound. I mean, I picked the mortar and headed for the gate. The plan was to go meet Uju, she was our church member at the time and they lived 2 houses away.

As I put one leg outside, na my mama I see...

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Kondomatic(m): 5:56pm On Apr 13, 2021
mariahAngel:

It's always memorable, so try to remember... cheesy
It's impossible.

I was always with mom in the kitchen so I am sure it started with "Help me put this in the pot, help me turn the soup etc" until I started cooking so I can't say that this is when it happened.

8 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Johntess02: 5:58pm On Apr 13, 2021
mariahAngel:

I was about 10, and mum just thrust it upon from nowhere like "you're cooking ogbono soup tomorrow!" without asking if I can (I always watch her cook)
My heart sank when she said that, and in my mind, I was like "oh my God! Oh my God!" embarassed

Then came the day of reckoning, all ingredients lined out, I did everything exactly as mum would, step by step.
After adding the ground ogbono mix, I added water to a moderate level and stirred but there was no slime. NO SLIME! In my mind "God help me! God help me!" I screamed embarassed
I stirred the watery soup, covered and left it to boil. "Mum would be so disappointed" I thought, feeling disappointed. embarassed
Going back to check on the soup some few minutes later, I opened the pot and stirred again and EUREKA! THERE WAS THAT SLIME! grin

It was a memorable experience and a big win for me that day. Of course, mum praised me to the high heavens! Hmmm! cool
...i hope you can now cook diverse meals
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by mariahAngel(f): 6:00pm On Apr 13, 2021
Kondomatic:
It's impossible.

I was always with mom in the kitchen so I am sure it started with "Help me put this in the pot, help me turn the soup etc" until I started cooking so I can't say that this is when it happened.

Ok. grin

That was how it started for most of us. "Mum, can I add the seasoning cubes?" "Mum, please let me stir"

The first unsupervised soup you cooked should be considered your first.

1 Like

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by mariahAngel(f): 6:03pm On Apr 13, 2021
Johntess02:
...i hope you can now cook diverse meals

We try cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by TarOrfeeek: 6:04pm On Apr 13, 2021
One bad ass Egusi soup I cooked in 300 level.

My sister and I were room mates. But women normally have their once in a month, skoi skoi.

She swore to not give me food.

I vex

Use N300 charter Egusi and Ugu with palm oil. I boiled the Egusi. Add crayfish and seasoning.

Added the red oil and small Ugu. The soup had started to make sense now and the aroma was filtering into the air.

Madam was now understanding that me no depend on her for food.

I downloaded N200 akpu with my first/best soup ever. As I sat down to eat, NEPA bring light!

Chai. I enter simple server start to download series.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Freestainworld(m): 6:16pm On Apr 13, 2021
The first soup I made, till today I haven't figured out whether it was really a soup or a local herbal medicine.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by mariahAngel(f): 6:18pm On Apr 13, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

My sister and I were room mates. But women normally have their once in a month, skoi skoi.

I vex

Use N300 charter Egusi and Ugu with palm oil. I boiled the Egusi. Add crayfish and seasoning.

Added the red oil and small Ugu. The soup had started to make sense now and the aroma was filtering into the air.

I downloaded N200 akpu with my first/best soup ever. As I sat down to eat, NEPA bring light!

Baddest! grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Sterope(f): 6:58pm On Apr 13, 2021
It was Okro soup. I was about 7 years going on 8. My mum was away in the hospital. She just had a baby, my dad was always away at work.

The first and the second time I made it was under instructions from the our neighbor. She supervised the first two ones. The third time, I made it myself. She did not even ask me. I don't think she was at home sef.

11 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by mariahAngel(f): 7:09pm On Apr 13, 2021
pocohantas:
Okazi soup was the FIRST SOUP I made. I was about 14 then and having watched my mum cook it all my life, I was convinced I would ace it- for a rookie at least.

My problem started when I was trying to make the akpuruakpu, the egusi refused to bring out oil, which was the ultimate test of its finesse. I added more osu, for where?! Finally I picked up the mortar and headed for my neighbours house. Not the same compound. I mean, I picked the mortar and headed for the gate. The plan was to go meet Uju, she was our church member at the time and they lived 2 houses away.

As I put one leg outside, na my mama I see...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha grin

Laff don kee me! grin

3 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Mindlog: 7:33pm On Apr 13, 2021
Mine was achi soup, the lumps no get part 2! cheesy cheesy

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by peace80037: 10:49pm On Apr 13, 2021
:But you still dont know how to cook till this day darling apart from cooking junks.That's not true sweetheart.You don't know me. Yes, I am a great cook!
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Hayee(f): 10:22am On Apr 14, 2021
Mine was also ogbono soup (it was during my food & nutrition practical in school,so no mummy's assistance), i had to ask my mates and seniors for the recepie and how to prepare and trust the end product was really awesome exactly what i wanted. I was about 15 or 16 then.

8 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by karli4nia(m): 10:41am On Apr 14, 2021
mariahAngel:

It's very likely that soup didnt come out well..

I have seen many of your post on the trending food thread, na only plantain and eggs u sabi..

I guess Mum, being nice, didn't wanna make you feel bad at your first shot ever..hence the encouraging words...

Lalasticlala, this thread is front page worthy cos it stirs up Nostalgia..

Make I no talk my own..

3 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by karli4nia(m): 10:44am On Apr 14, 2021
Hayee:
Mine was also ogbono soup (it was during my food & nutrition practical in school,so no mummy's assistance), i had to ask my mates and seniors for the recepie and how to prepare and trust the end product was really awesome exactly what i wanted. I was about 15 or 16 then.

May I ask, who tasted the end product as you call am?

2 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by karli4nia(m): 10:48am On Apr 14, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

I vex

It must have been really best, I bet..
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by karli4nia(m): 10:53am On Apr 14, 2021
Kondomatic:
It's impossible.

Continue beating about the bush, okay..
It's really impossible to, at least not as when you had you first kiss.. or first Shag.
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by mariahAngel(f): 10:59am On Apr 14, 2021
karli4nia:

It's very likely that soup didnt come out well..

It did come out perfectly well.
Ogbono is one of the easiest to make.

I have seen many of your post on the trending food thread, na only plantain and eggs u sabi..

I guess Mum, being nice, didn't wanna make you feel bad at your first shot ever..hence the encouraging words...

Lalasticlala, this thread is front page worthy cos it stirs up Nostalgia..

Make I no talk my own..

Those are my some of my favourites...

No talk abeg. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Hayee(f): 11:19am On Apr 14, 2021
karli4nia:

May I ask, who tasted the end product as you call am?
My teacher of course, myself and friends too. It really improved my interest in the kitchen bcus to be sincere i don't have so much confidence in what i cook.lol.

3 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Kondomatic(m): 11:35am On Apr 14, 2021
karli4nia:

Continue beating about the bush, okay..
It's really impossible to, at least not as when you had you first kiss.. or first Shag.
I am not beating around the bush bro. I honestly don't remember.

First kiss? Well, I can still remember everything.

First shag? That one never too tey nah, I was 26 then.

4 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by karli4nia(m): 12:47pm On Apr 14, 2021
Ishilove, I am waiting to read your own, please
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Kenfil(f): 1:10pm On Apr 14, 2021
First soup was Nsala, I was pretty young and my mum wanted me to make one(for learning purpose). Chai, I finished pepper in that soup that my siblings and mum didnt wanna touch it.

My dad(God rest his soul) was eating and licking his finger saying that this is how spicy a soup should be Haha. I guess he didnt want to make me feel bad. Till date, I still shy away from making Nsala

15 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by merieam16(f): 1:57pm On Apr 14, 2021
Mine was ewedu, I went to cover it and all the stove was messed up lolz

3 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by visijo(m): 2:53pm On Apr 14, 2021
Dear sister;
Men settle where they find respect and peace of mind,
Not just beauty and social media swag.�

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pizza In Nigeria / Domestic Grinding Machine In Nigeria / My Boyfriend Has Turned Me To A Cook: Could This Be Love?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.