Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,597 members, 7,823,604 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. (10866 Views)

Delicious Dog Meat Pepper Soup / Burnt meals,share your experience! / Man Using Python For Pepper Soup In Port Harcourt. Online Users React (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Twelfthman: 2:54pm On Apr 14, 2021
Lol can't remember
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by lkillbrokehoes: 2:56pm On Apr 14, 2021
Nonsense thread

1 Like

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Sijo01(f): 2:58pm On Apr 14, 2021
Hmmm, can't recall o.
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by fergie001: 3:00pm On Apr 14, 2021
pocohantas:
Okazi soup was the FIRST SOUP I made. I was about 14 then and having watched my mum cook it all my life, I was convinced I would ace it- for a rookie at least.

My problem started when I was trying to make the akpuruakpu, the egusi refused to bring out oil, which was the ultimate test of its finesse. I added more osu, for where?! Finally I picked up the mortar and headed for my neighbours house. Not the same compound. I mean, I picked the mortar and headed for the gate. The plan was to go meet Uju, she was our church member at the time and they lived 2 houses away.

As I put one leg outside, na my mama I see...

This akpuruakpu you mentioned gave me instantaneous smile.

Kai.....

1 Like

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by bunnae(f): 3:03pm On Apr 14, 2021
Mine was egusi soup. I had just finished secondary school. The soup was lipsrsealed. My elder brother complained all through till the soup got finished. My dad made everyone eat every bit of it cheesy

4 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 14, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

One bad ass Egusi soup I cooked in 300 level.

My sister and I were room mates. But women normally have their once in a month, skoi skoi.

She swore to not give me food.

I vex

Use N300 charter Egusi and Ugu with palm oil. I boiled the Egusi. Add crayfish and seasoning.

Added the red oil and small Ugu. The soup had started to make sense now and the aroma was filtering into the air.

Madam was now understanding that me no depend on her for food.

I downloaded N200 akpu with my first/best soup ever. As I sat down to eat, NEPA bring light!

Chai. I enter simple server start to download series.

Your roommates with your sister in the university ? wow �
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by EXLOVER(m): 3:12pm On Apr 14, 2021
I made pepper soup and forgot to add pepper �️ i was really so embarrassed that day while everyone was mocking me

4 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by emonis88: 3:13pm On Apr 14, 2021
op this ur question is it for d guys abi d ladies? And ladies weh no sabi cook , make una come see una mates o! U go enter husband house Dey feed d man only indomie, u wan kill am? with indomie only him no fit work well in DA ozer room o!

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by thesolutions(m): 3:15pm On Apr 14, 2021
pocohantas:
Okazi soup was the FIRST SOUP I made. I was about 14 then and having watched my mum cook it all my life, I was convinced I would ace it- for a rookie at least.

My problem started when I was trying to make the akpuruakpu (moulded egusi) and it refused to bring out oil, which was the ultimate test of its finesse. I added more osu, for where?! Finally I picked up the mortar and headed for my neighbour’s house. Not the same compound. I mean, I picked the mortar and headed for the gate. The plan was to go meet Uju, she was our church member at the time and they lived 2 houses away.

spotted. Nwamaikpe sister.
Please go on.
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by eveninnewspaper: 3:18pm On Apr 14, 2021
I was about 9 years old and it was ogbono soup. My aunt had bought the ingredients to make the soup in the evening upon her return. I took the risk as she wasn't around.
Lo and behold, it came out superb! She was happy and surprised at the same time.

3 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by McTobe(m): 3:22pm On Apr 14, 2021
I can’t remember my first soup chai but I can recall that my Dad refused to eat it. That was a long time ago anyway but now I don’t mean to brag but I can cook some mean eastern delicacies( why am I remembering Shrek and princess Fiona)

2 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by drLammy(m): 3:23pm On Apr 14, 2021
angryFt
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Foodqueen(f): 3:26pm On Apr 14, 2021
Dad was a catereer and he runs a restaurant so plenty workers. Cooking wasn't really a thing anyone think about.

Mine wasn't soup, it was porridge.

I was about 14,after I av been to a boarding school and I see alot of my friends talking about how well they cook. I told my mum, she just brush it aside like u will definitely know how to cook when the time is right.

One day she went to the mkt and normally she is suppose to return my 4 so I quickly took a small portion of yam I saw in the shop, diced it and started preparing porridge. Not like I av seen anyone does it before but I am tasted it several times so I was just guessing all the ingredients.

Immediately I put off the stove, mum landed, after offloading her stuffs. She ask whats? I said porridge she said give me some. Where. She finish that she ask for another portion, I quickly told her that's av eaten so I would eat as she wants.

Long story short, until her death, I am still the best yam porridge chef she knew.

Thanks mum for not scolding me, maybe if u had it would have killed the desire I av in cooking. Love you always as I continue to miss u

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by robinso01(m): 3:27pm On Apr 14, 2021
merieam16:
Mine was ewedu, I went to cover it and all the stove was messed up
lol, i can relate. Happened to me also , unknown to me that it was nt to b covered.
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by OgbanjeProphet: 3:36pm On Apr 14, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

One bad ass Egusi soup I cooked in 300 level.

My sister and I were room mates. But women normally have their once in a month, skoi skoi.

She swore to not give me food.

I vex

Use N300 charter Egusi and Ugu with palm oil. I boiled the Egusi. Add crayfish and seasoning.

Added the red oil and small Ugu. The soup had started to make sense now and the aroma was filtering into the air.

Madam was now understanding that me no depend on her for food.

I downloaded N200 akpu with my first/best soup ever. As I sat down to eat, NEPA bring light!

Chai. I enter simple server start to download series.

You first boiled the egusi. Added crayfish and seasonings. Before adding red oil and small ugu
I think say I sabi cook egusi soup sefwink
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Eddygourdo(m): 3:37pm On Apr 14, 2021
pocohantas:

My problem started when I was trying to make the akpuruakpu (moulded egusi) and it refused to bring out oil, which was the ultimate test of its finesse. I added more osu, for where?! Finally I picked up the mortar and headed for my neighbour’s house. Not the same compound. I mean, I picked the mortar and headed for the gate. The plan was to go meet Uju, she was our church member at the time and they lived 2 houses away.

always thought you must be Igbo. Anyway which one is okazi again. Isn't that supposed to be vegetable soup
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Eddygourdo(m): 3:41pm On Apr 14, 2021
Anyway in my case. It was beans. I cooked it for over two years without ever getting it . normal beans oh. For reasons best known to it it refused to be soft no matter the akanwu I pour inside. Anyway I later realized after years of purging. That I should be patient and let it soften before I add palm oil.

For the life of me, till this day I can't make pap or custard. The thing will refuse to thicken for me. I have learnt stew (palm oil and vegetable oil) thanks to pocohantas. I am now expert at least I think. The people who ate the stew are still alive

6 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by descarado: 3:45pm On Apr 14, 2021
Can't remember the first soup I made.
But I remembered I always cook under duress.
Mum will tell bros to cook and off to the market, bros will assume chairman position and start ordering me around with cane.
And when mum is back, he will take all the glory.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by NOwazobia: 3:45pm On Apr 14, 2021
Where i came from, boys and girls cook alike and i have never for ones been supervised. Because, it is always on point.

1 Like

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Advision: 3:52pm On Apr 14, 2021
Some people, the only things they can cook unsupervised are lie and deciet

and helinues , I greet you wink

3 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by helinues: 3:55pm On Apr 14, 2021
Advision:
Some people, the only things they can cook unsupervised are lie and deciet

and helinues , I greet you wink

You can do more better than making your comments without seeking our authentication.

Could you do that pls.. Cos you already ignored the thread and be pokenosing about others

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Munzy14(m): 3:55pm On Apr 14, 2021
mariahAngel:
I'll go first. Of course. cheesy

The first soup I ever made was ogbono soup.
I was about 10, and mum just thrust it upon from nowhere like "you're cooking ogbono soup tomorrow!" without asking if I can (I always watch her cook)
My heart sank when she said that, and in my mind, I was like "oh my God! Oh my God!" embarassed
That night, I swear, I hardly slept a wink.

Then came the day of reckoning, all ingredients lined out, I did everything exactly as mum would, step by step.
After adding the ground ogbono mix, I added water to a moderate level and stirred but there was no slime. NO SLIME! In my mind "God help me! God help me!" I screamed embarassed
I stirred the watery soup, covered and left it to boil. "Mum would be so disappointed" I thought, feeling disappointed. embarassed
Going back to check on the soup some few minutes later, I opened the pot and stirred again and EUREKA! THERE WAS THAT SLIME! grin

It was a memorable experience and a big win for me that day. Of course, mum praised me to the high heavens! Hmmm! cool
eeeehhhh heeee....Inukwa inukwa...cheesy

Nye anyi mmanya ebe nke e ruo la front page..

First meals are memorable...as guys we started late...Mom cannever leave kitchen in My hands...Otherwise my dad no go chop..cheesy

afo Di ya di important to her..lol

As strong head, I made one stew...las las tomato was slapping those weh get lever go taste am @14.....grin

I never did again till 19 as an undergraduate then, Made first egusi...With assistance of three ladies...my gf, just a female frnd and a lady that stays in my lodge...

How i did it...Called juliet my gf then..to get steps.
later called my female friend to have her own way..

Then lastly my neighbour.....cheesy wahala for who no see water to drink that day...maka e siri m Yoruba style...i kwo ose...

My bag of satchel water finish after guys come chop...I no be foodie...but i love having people around to chop.

5 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Crixxx: 3:56pm On Apr 14, 2021
Mehn i can't forget eban'sar. Just freestyled the geshia inside plate. Brought my aboki abi na suya pepper, salt, akpu and cold water . Na so the story go
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by GboyegaD(m): 4:04pm On Apr 14, 2021
It was white okro at about 10.
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Map1(m): 4:09pm On Apr 14, 2021
mariahAngel:
I'll go first. Of course. cheesy

The first soup I ever made was ogbono soup.
I was about 10, and mum just thrust it upon from nowhere like "you're cooking ogbono soup tomorrow!" without asking if I can (I always watch her cook)
My heart sank when she said that, and in my mind, I was like "oh my God! Oh my God!" embarassed
That night, I swear, I hardly slept a wink.

Then came the day of reckoning, all ingredients lined out, I did everything exactly as mum would, step by step.
After adding the ground ogbono mix, I added water to a moderate level and stirred but there was no slime. NO SLIME! In my mind "God help me! God help me!" I screamed embarassed
I stirred the watery soup, covered and left it to boil. "Mum would be so disappointed" I thought, feeling disappointed. embarassed
Going back to check on the soup some few minutes later, I opened the pot and stirred again and EUREKA! THERE WAS THAT SLIME! grin

It was a memorable experience and a big win for me that day. Of course, mum praised me to the high heavens! Hmmm! cool
I know that you will grow up to be a good cooker, that is what my mind tell me you must be a good cooking.�

1 Like

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by CaptainAyub: 4:14pm On Apr 14, 2021
NYSC.
Mine was stew though.
My university was in the same city where my parents lived so na to give my sisters money,dem go cook,I go carry put for front seat carpet, go my house.
Then NYSC came,it was in a village(Yoruba speaking part of Kogi).
I went to eat in the village restaurant and encountered that thing wey make us de call them ofe mmanu ppl(no offence meant grin)
Called my mum and she texted me things to buy to make tomato stew.
As I was frying the tomato and listening to my mum on the phone to know when the tomato will get done,everything turned black in my very before grin
The second attempt many days later,stew was still tasting like raw tomatoes after I finished cooking. I jejely picked all my meat with fork and ate wink
Still don't know the miracle of how to know when tomato paste turns to stew when frying.
Das all.
As for soup,I think I attempted egusi once during that NYSC and the result was disastrous.
Thank God I redeployed
*Edited
During that same NYSC I attempted cooking beans and rice jellof. Started boiling the rice first and added beans later cos in my own thinking beans is soft naa so should cook first.
That one,na dustbin later get am wink

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by omaclarry(m): 4:24pm On Apr 14, 2021
Mine was vegetable soup, on how it turned out, let me just say we all drank tea and bread that night sha.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by adajoe555: 4:28pm On Apr 14, 2021
I was 12 when I prepared my first food ofor soup, the soup came out well sha but my dad complained that the salt didn't come out well....

3 Likes

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by Bahamas95(m): 4:30pm On Apr 14, 2021
I started cooking when I was very young, can't remember my first soup.

Lemme relax and read comments.

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by jelel6: 4:31pm On Apr 14, 2021
Hehe.

Growing up, I hated Egusi soup angry (now my favourite wink). Ordinarily, I could eat anything, but mom knew I didn't enjoy eating Egusi. My immediate elder brother actually hated it more. He just can't swallow more than one or two hands.

Mom noticed all that and sometimes would go: "Una no go kill me, how many soup una want me to dey cook? After I cook morning, afternoon, night? Make Una learn how to cook so that Una go dey cook watin Una like" ( grin)

Oboi, me, I gats chop the Egusi like that oh. While my bro would be looking for leftover lunch to chop in the night grin.

Unless we Sabi cook... (Mom's condition)

The thing was, momsy was very very territorial when it comes to her kitchen, especially when she's inside cooking angry. Only my eldest sis could go in and out as she pleases. Momsy hardly ever ask that we join her to Cook. You can only look from afar.

Popsy was aware about mom's cook what you want ultimatum and was planting ideas in me and my bro's head cool. He'd go: "make Una try cook, them (mom or sis) go help una. Una fit try Okro or groundnut soup, them no too hard. Just do like this do like that!" grin

After collecting enough moral, I started hovering around the kitchen and stealing techniques. Soon, I declare myself reading so when Egusi came on the menu again, I said I wanted to cook Okro soup.

After returning playing football one evening, momsy told me there's pot, ingredients and kitchen waiting for me, Go and cook your soup! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I was both excited and nervous. Face to face with the task, I didn't know exactly what to do anymore or how to start. Then, my sis came to collect her own dinner and saw bro and I staring at the stove and smiling. She just calmly explained to us what to do and the steps to take. Then, left us to actually do it. I handled the cooking entirely, but my bro was there to make sure we didn't miss any of the steps my sis instructed.

The results...?

It turned out fantastic. Me and bro ate right there in the kitchen. For once, we could take the meat and fish we desired from our pot of soup grin grin.

We went to the parlor and sat down, brimming from ear to ear. Mom then went to the kitchen and took her own food. To our utmost surprise, she actually took from the Okro soup we prepared and not her Egusi shocked shocked

After eating a few dose, she went: "ah, e sweet oh. So Una Sabi cook like this! I no need to teach Una Okro soup again, Una Sabi cook that one pass me".

Words are poor substitutes to use to explain to you guys how I felt that day. That marked the beginning of a soup cooking spree for me and my bro.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by icebot: 4:33pm On Apr 14, 2021
grin
Re: The First Soup You Ever Made unsupervised; Share Your Experience. by CheedyJ(m): 4:37pm On Apr 14, 2021
I’ve been making all kind of soup since I was 8 Or thereabouts so, no biggie...being a first child comes with a lot of domesticity especially if your parents are middle class....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do You Eat Beef Sausages, Gala And Co? / Cake Recipe / Peak Milk Celebrates World Milk Day, Promotes Importance Of Complete Breakfasts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.