Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults (64576 Views)

Things That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults. / Complimentary Statements That Make A Friend Smile / 10 Animals That Don’t Look Dangerous But Are Actually Deadly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by sam564: 1:54pm On Apr 15, 2021
Nairalandian:
For me, this write up is nonsense
Apart from number 4 and 7
Who even pushed this thing to FP?
then the write up is not nonsense since u still pik 4 and 7...

1 Like

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by drLammy(m): 1:54pm On Apr 15, 2021
You're too wise to be an Abokii
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Yusufisraelj(m): 1:56pm On Apr 15, 2021
Nairalandian:
For me, this write up is nonsense
Apart from number 4 and 7
Who even pushed this thing to FP?

Sincerely, making simple things appear complex and reading useless meaning into people's words.

And the thing is, people know those who are sincere and those who want to be derigatory. All this one na wash.
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Ndubuking10: 1:57pm On Apr 15, 2021
Lol
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Bahamas95(m): 1:58pm On Apr 15, 2021
"I never knew you're this good"

Nigerian girls are terrible, I wonder why most of them believe only macho looking guys can do that stuff.
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Tcwork: 1:58pm On Apr 15, 2021
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Michael213: 1:59pm On Apr 15, 2021
Muyiwaipere:
With due respect all Nairalanders get issues grin

Walai na you get issue grin
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Duplexxx: 1:59pm On Apr 15, 2021
Take your time don be insult na abi
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by NamelessOGBENI(m): 2:00pm On Apr 15, 2021
Anything after BUT na scam...
Anyway, resist the urge to always shalaye...
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Nobody: 2:00pm On Apr 15, 2021
Sarcasm at it's peak.
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by OBku4(m): 2:02pm On Apr 15, 2021
When someone in your age bracket tells you, 'How are you'
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Patriotic9ja(m): 2:03pm On Apr 15, 2021
post=100817622:

You've said it all sir.
End of Thread!

� respect

Naso.
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by tiswell(m): 2:05pm On Apr 15, 2021
No 1 is so wrong

so if i tell my dinner date 'you look so beautiful tonight " it means she has been ugly every other night?

bulcrap!!
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by babtoundey(m): 2:09pm On Apr 15, 2021
Even few letters word like "sorry" and "please" can either be insulting or complimenting. The defining factors is the tone and manner it is uttered.

You look younger than your age is a song on repetitive mode in my hearings and it never for once sounds insulting. It is stating the fact.

Of all of those up there, the only one I consider offensive is "You don't look a Christian/Muslim" or "You look too good to be a Muslim/Christian/or Yoruba/Igbo". That is the only statement I consider a subtle attack on my identity.

1 Like

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Cnach: 2:09pm On Apr 15, 2021
MejiLoyon:

Very. I said it to a colleague once and the whole office went silent. We were on a seminar. Someone just said it's normal for them they're Africans.
I had to open the dictionary.
Pained my life
Pls where did u see how was ur night inside dictionary and what the hell was the name of the dictionary??

4 Likes

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by studentofTruth: 2:09pm On Apr 15, 2021
MejiLoyon:

Very. I said it to a colleague once and the whole office went silent. We were on a seminar. Someone just said it's normal for them they're Africans.
I had to open the dictionary.
Pained my life

Edward it's well.
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Dogonbura(m): 2:10pm On Apr 15, 2021
Oga/madam,this is not how this is done
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by aadoiza: 2:12pm On Apr 15, 2021
Lubbish

b]Time To Automate Things...
PYTHONIZATION OF THE EXPOSURE OF LORDREED AS A CHARLATAN AND SCOUNDREL:
[/b]
Since he's apparently abjectly empty, so:
LordReed = [ ]

def charlatan_LordReed_is( ):

#thus he's an arrogant idiot:
LordReediot = """empty empty-headed dead-head
mumu scummy pretentious overweening deluded
foolish unschooled vulgar stupid bellicose
egomaniac pathetic fake shameless wasted
oversabinus wawa churlish crappy smelly""". split( )

#and when he tries to mask his emptiness by running
to google to copy-paste, he exposes himself as an I.
diot that he's. So:
LordReed.append(LordReediot)
print(LordReed)

charlatan_LordReed_is( )

grin grin grin grin grin

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Jimmyubah2: 2:12pm On Apr 15, 2021
Rubbish....
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Earthkumy(m): 2:17pm On Apr 15, 2021
KidDarkness:

How was your night simply means how was the sex last night which is really offensive

how was your night means how was your night.

leave sex out of it

leave our Nigeria English alone

you people should respect yourselves
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by incogni2o: 2:18pm On Apr 15, 2021
Which Church do you attend
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by KidDarkness(m): 2:21pm On Apr 15, 2021
Earthkumy:

how was your night means how was your night.
leave sex out of it
leave our Nigeria English alone
you people should respect yourselves
Go talk am outside Nigeria na. Na judge Judy go settle your case
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by cenaman(m): 2:26pm On Apr 15, 2021
OP! what are opposites of the 8?
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Bahose(m): 2:30pm On Apr 15, 2021
Patriotic9ja:
Sometimes it's always better to take things as simple as they appear. If you are too meticulous or take things too serious, even "good morning or how are you" can become offensive. Ladies and gentlemen, don't make life too difficult for yourselves all because you want to add too much meanings to things
tiri gbosa for you!

1 Like

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Nobody: 2:33pm On Apr 15, 2021
Cnach:

Pls where did u see how was ur night inside dictionary and what the hell was the name of the dictionary??
You have Google. Next time use it abeg.

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Nfora: 2:34pm On Apr 15, 2021
KidDarkness:

Go talk am outside Nigeria na. Na judge Judy go settle your case
Internet pikin.

Somebody writes trash on the internet and internet pikins just take it as fact.

How does " how was your night "translate to" how was your sex last night?"

I beg mention instances outside Nigeria,with evidence,where "how was your night" became an issue.
undecided
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 15, 2021
If you tell me that I am photogenic, I know automatically that you meant that I am ugly cheesy.

People do say that I am not photogenic which is why I hardly take pictures, pictures don't do justice to my beauri wink.
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Onelove508: 2:55pm On Apr 15, 2021
smileyYou like this your shirt o.
You probably have been using that shirt always.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by anykey: 2:55pm On Apr 15, 2021
you and this your shirt. It seems you like this shirt very well o.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Kondomatic(m): 3:06pm On Apr 15, 2021
Hello Pocohontas, you look beautiful today
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by lukuboi(m): 3:13pm On Apr 15, 2021
MejiLoyon:
How was your night?

Biggest insult ever

My night was fine.

Biggest lie ever!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) / Man Runs For His Life After Snake He Was Trying To Kill Aimed For His Joystick / Big Snake Seen Inside A Toilet (WC) In Ekpoma, Edo State (pics/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.