Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,915 members, 7,835,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults (64578 Views)

Things That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults. / Complimentary Statements That Make A Friend Smile / 10 Animals That Don’t Look Dangerous But Are Actually Deadly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by MightySparrow: 3:16pm On Apr 15, 2021
Did you sleep in the inner room?
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by OpinionCounts(m): 3:17pm On Apr 15, 2021
I don't think number 1 is an insult in any way. The comparative "very", removed any insult that would have been there.

If the compliment was that "you look beautiful today" without adding the comparative "very", then you could think it an insult.

Remember, one has to be beautiful before he or she can then compete to be very beautiful (which comes from comparation with standard beauty)

It simply means the person is already beautiful other days, but exceptionally or uniquely looking stunning today.

If I should go by your narrative, it means if I say to you, "your performance today was superb", it should mean that I am saying your performance other days was stupid or nonsense. But that is not true of the complement.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Pacesetter123(m): 3:22pm On Apr 15, 2021
Hintona:

With all due respect, you have a flat head.
grin grin grin grin
Babe,dis one deep ..ooo!
But dat "with due respect" phrase is over funny.
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Krismas(m): 3:26pm On Apr 15, 2021
cool Are u okay? Means u don mad already grin

1 Like

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by peter8535: 3:37pm On Apr 15, 2021
MejiLoyon:
How was your night?
Biggest insult ever
i don't understd..pls explain
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by witworth(m): 3:41pm On Apr 15, 2021
Number one is already wrong
the person didn't mean or trying to say you look ugly every other day but then managed to look beautiful only that day.
No
It means you look more beautiful today than yesterday, and yesterday more than previous day, in a nut shell more beautiful by the day, that's why the "very" is there.
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by suaveBrother(m): 3:45pm On Apr 15, 2021
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by NOwazobia: 3:58pm On Apr 15, 2021
Another foolish post exhume from the OP's delusion. imposing your attitude on the general public is a crime to humanity.

1 Like

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by tnerro1(m): 4:13pm On Apr 15, 2021
The best of all is “ If I say you are stupid now, you will say I am insulting you”

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Goalnaldo(m): 4:20pm On Apr 15, 2021
Number 1 could mean the person is beautiful but that day, they look VERY beautiful. We must not always be pessimistic sad
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Yoighaman(m): 4:36pm On Apr 15, 2021
7. You Are Much Smarter Than You Look:
Really? Like seriously?!! So beauty and physical appearance is now directly proportional to intelligence? People usually use this statement when they are trying to say ‘you are beautiful/handsome and I was not expecting you to be smart too’ or ‘you dress and appear hot and I wasn’t expecting intelligence to be part of it’. Attaching beauty to one’s mental capability is very dumb!

This one got me smiley

1 Like

Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by maiquel: 4:38pm On Apr 15, 2021
MejiLoyon:
How was your night?

Biggest insult ever
I still don't know why this is counted as an insult, even though some have complained whenever I ask. ..
How is it an insult please?
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by KingZebedee(m): 4:54pm On Apr 15, 2021
chatinent:
Even “are you a Nigerian” from a foreigner sounds like “e no go better for you.”
pls next time ur reply should be (no, I'm from a British company called zoogeria.
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by naija4life247: 5:08pm On Apr 15, 2021
KidDarkness:

How was your night simply means how was the sex last night which is really offensive

In Nigeria or in UK?
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by AfonjaConehead: 5:38pm On Apr 15, 2021
Hintona:

With all due respect,your hair ain't natural..grin
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by CobyRW: 5:43pm On Apr 15, 2021
So arguable topic!
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by akyus(m): 5:58pm On Apr 15, 2021
You de enjoy oo
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Raskass: 6:04pm On Apr 15, 2021
Are you done reading your own meanings to them all
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by JedallMarcelo: 6:13pm On Apr 15, 2021
naija4life247:

In Nigeria or in UK?
In Ekiti
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 15, 2021
Hintona:

Una no get j*y at all. Somebody cannot just play with you grin
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Pacyrus(m): 6:46pm On Apr 15, 2021
1,2 aptly written sad
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by KidDarkness(m): 6:53pm On Apr 15, 2021
naija4life247:

In Nigeria or in UK?
Everywhere especially with people who knows the real meaning
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by KidDarkness(m): 7:02pm On Apr 15, 2021
maiquel:

I still don't know why this is counted as an insult, even though some have complained whenever I ask. ..
How is it an insult please?
It means you are asking the person how the sex you both had together was
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by KidDarkness(m): 7:11pm On Apr 15, 2021
Nfora:

Internet pikin.

Somebody writes trash on the internet and internet pikins just take it as fact.

How does " how was your night "translate to" how was your sex last night?"

I beg mention instances outside Nigeria,with evidence,where "how was your night" became an issue.
undecided
Dude, this is a sentence my english teacher corrected me on while i was in secondary school and i left secondary school in early 2000s. So i don't know where this your internet pikin crap is coming from
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Cnach: 8:02pm On Apr 15, 2021
MejiLoyon:
You have Google. Next time use it abeg.
good u said Google
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Hintona(f): 10:35pm On Apr 15, 2021
AfonjaConehead:

With all due respect,your hair ain't natural..grin

It is very natural o
Re: 8 Statements That Sound Like Compliments But Are Actually Insults by Eldee54321(m): 11:24pm On Apr 15, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) / Man Runs For His Life After Snake He Was Trying To Kill Aimed For His Joystick / Big Snake Seen Inside A Toilet (WC) In Ekpoma, Edo State (pics/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.