Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,680 members, 7,809,575 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

How To Start A Songwriting Career? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / How To Start A Songwriting Career? (9797 Views)

The Negligence Of Songwriting In Nigeria / TROUBLE!! WHO SHOULD Get The Songwriting/producing Credit?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start A Songwriting Career? by jaybanks(m): 2:35pm On Jul 10, 2007
Anyone Who Knows About Songwriting In Nigeria Come Here Please

Please, anyone wit info on how I could start a songwriting career in lagos should let me know how i'll do it.
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by denex: 10:35pm On Jul 10, 2007
Well, I really don't know how. I've written a couple of songs too but no way to market. Maybe we should use Nairaland. Afterall, that's why it's called Nairaland
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by hola2ng(m): 11:27am On Jul 11, 2007
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by jaybanks(m): 5:03pm On Jul 19, 2007
well i was thinking of selling songs to artistes and getting paid at once isn't that possible?.also if u know anything about how i could become a producer please let me know
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by Oracle(m): 5:30pm On Jul 19, 2007
I've written several songs.
The only thing that pays in Nigeria is doing it yourself because a lot of talents waste.

Writing a song is no problem, it's all about making it into music.

Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by jaybanks(m): 8:31am On Jul 20, 2007
Oracle:

I've written several songs.
The only thing that pays in Nigeria is doing it yourself because a lot of talents waste.

Writing a song is no problem, it's all about making it into music.

ok,but do u know anything about production?how much it takes starting up a studio?or how to start at all?just anything let me know
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by Aicue(m): 5:39pm On Jul 23, 2007
Well to start up or off with a studio, you would be needing roughly about 300 to 500 thousand naira. you need good speakers, a good and high speed processing PC either desktop prferably for cost sake. Then also you would need a sound card, a very good keyboard, an amplifier, a mixer, 16 or 24 channel mixer. A microphone, not stage microphone if you really want the best. Go for a standard studio microphone. Hmmmmm, whatelse, yeap! You also needsome music producing sofwares because music has really gone digital except you are trying to set up an analogue studio, you'll be needing some other things like some live instruments. Well I'll get back to you when I get more info okay? I hope the info helps you.
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by jaybanks(m): 4:40pm On Jul 30, 2007
thanx Aicue. wow,300-400 thousand?that's some money.well thanx for tha info.i'll probably hve to b a trainee producer, if u have any info on a producer who needs one let me know.thyanx in advance
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by PHEESAYOUR(m): 7:33pm On Jul 30, 2007
I just finished a couple of Demos but where is the marketer, where is the dough? ? ?
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by creamofluv: 10:47pm On Jul 30, 2007
Hello,

Dis, Remmytainment Station live from manchester, england. Am a beat maker also a Dj, I could work on your stuff,

You can holla back on RemmyTainment@aol.co.uk
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by snatchmore(m): 12:54pm On Jul 31, 2007
I dont know where to start from but i guess i'll have to put it one by one for you all. Is not as if i know all but the little i know should help.
I'll love to start with the songwriting aspect. I do a bit of songwriting too and I'll tell you its not something I can explain like these. I think all you need to do is to put yourself in whatever you want to write. Be lost in it and sing it like you want to peform it the next day. First, try to know what you want to write about and then write out a story line of what you want to do pass across. Afte that, create a tune for it and plan on how to fix in your lines verse by verse.
It might not work for everyone the it works for me. For me, i dont have to crack my brain to write a song, it just come. And when it comes, i just write. It only delays if i've not gotten the right words for the song i want to write. For more info on how to write songs, you can contact me, (snatchmore@yahoo.com).
For those that have written songs and want an avenue to sell, there's an entertainment outfit that's coming up very soon(in a month or less)that will connect songwriters with buyers. All you need to do is write as many songs as possible and you're connected to whoever wants it. Sounds nice isn't? The entertainment outfit is called HONEYWORLD ENTERTAINMENT.
The outfit also will be needing the services of songwriters as either staff or inhouse consultants. So, you have a whole lot to choose from.
I think i'll have stop here so that u can all digest that. hoping to hear from u.
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by deb(m): 5:31pm On Aug 03, 2007
Starting a songwriting company is a good idea. Its got to start some how in this country.
A lot of junk artiste come out everyday with wack songs. Some good one
don't have good song but you can feel they have good voice quality.

Until we start doing things right in this country we won't move to the next level.

There is a need for songwriting industry on its own. Even the best of songwriters
in America still sing other people's song. Baby face had written several songs for Michael Jackson
who himself is a songwriter/vocalist
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by Seun(m): 8:19pm On Aug 03, 2007
Nice thread. Keep sharing!
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by cjayy(m): 2:23pm On Aug 06, 2007
I recently discovered that I could write songs. Within a span of two (2) months, I have been able to write about twenty (20) songs which I classify as rap songs though could be rearranged to suit any other form of music. The songs are just there in my archives, don't know what to do with them for now. Hope to link up with some persons and make something useful out of this. Holla me at mailcjay@yahoo.com. Ciao!

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by lobinoxebe(m): 11:11am On Aug 07, 2007
read all ya post
right from my duty post
it cold, presently putting on my rain coat
browsing from my pda phone,

ya'all good guys n here,

i write little of rap,

maybe we can fix business together, i need a good writter of rap song,

we can form Dbang and Don jazzy,

topojons@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by edoyakk(m): 7:30am On Aug 08, 2007
The best surgeon is not the richest surgeon neither is the best engineer the richest engineer!
I am sure we all can make better tasting rice and chicken than we pay so much for in most eateries especially Mr. Biggs!.
When it comes to business that is definitely not  what matters

The music business is a business like any other business.
There are so many parts in the music industry.
Even songwriting can be broken down into so many different categories as well.
So you need to breakdown as much as possible till you have a very simple straightforward vision of the kind of songs you want to write,

When you have what it is you want to offer you have to know what obtains in that area of songwriting, what I’m saying here is that you need to study your competition real hard!
You need to take out a lot of time to do this,

You actually need to do a lot of planning because if you fail to plan…you plan to fail.
I know it is possible for you to try and try different things till you make it but then listen to this Alex Hailey took almost 13 yrs of his life to write the book “roots” he was wretched he was alone and he suffered greatly during this period (you should read his autobiography and other auto’s as well)
My point being you can get to the prize in a shorter time if you spend more of your time in planning.
Planning is also not wandering around, and there many are tools you will need to assist you.
…, to be continued
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by mofaj(m): 4:21pm On Aug 08, 2007
[/color][i][/i] i write a lot of songs but still holding on to singing them myself. in case u know anyone whos interested in singing them, pls let me know.i might be willing to give them for free for a start.[color=#006600][color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by TCUBE(m): 9:37pm On Aug 10, 2007
a singwriter should be able to at least play one or two musical instrument, helps in the development of music ideas,
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by slimnike(m): 3:10am On Aug 11, 2007
TCUBE:

a singwriter should be able to at least play one or two musical instrument, helps in the development of music ideas,
This is true. Playing mostly the piano is the only way You can arrange your songs properly.
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by holami1(m): 2:39pm On Aug 13, 2007
I have written alot of songs,composed and reharsed alot and comedies,I appreciate having the Talent.But there is no connetion and means of developing the talent.
Wish i can get someone to carry me along.Music has always be my fantasy.

hola

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by snatchmore(m): 3:34pm On Aug 13, 2007
[code][/code]
holami1:

I have written alot of songs,composed and reharsed alot and comedies,I appreciate having the Talent.But there is no connetion and means of developing the talent.
Wish i can get someone to carry me along.Music has always be my fantasy.

hola
how do u mean by means of developing ur talent?i really dont know what u want to do but if u care to share with me, u can mail me, snatchmore@yahoo.com. i can definately carry u along every step of the way only if u're ready to move along. take care.
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by holami1(m): 4:41pm On Aug 13, 2007
[color=#000099][/color]i have send this address snatchmore@yahoo.com[s][/s].So i will be expectin replay. thanks cheesy
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by ozoneflake(m): 7:02pm On Aug 14, 2007
Well i' ve writen couple of songs and recorded some few. But then i had a good job and was not confident of how producers then do music. My producer then was a camerounian who latter travelled to France with 'CHOP I CHOP' Etien 'T' boy since then i lost contact with music. BUt when it is in born it never leaves, you just write every day and thats my case. Though am trying to go back to studio soon.

The act of writing songs comes from feelings. Some times it realy depends on your mood. Some times you dream and put down the songs you hear or sing and latter they become your songs.

To start writing especially without an instrument you gott listen to a steady beat and place your words either in twos or fours to land with the staedy beat you alone may be hearing. Like :
1 2 3 4 5 6 7= beats

Mama left you when u was younger eh
Dady no come to yo
Left yo in a limbo yeh
Back in the little ghetto

Goto play my guitar
dey make make ma little pay
looking for survival
every day make you read ya bible eh

Chorus

Na so life be yeh
na so life be yeh
na so life be yeh
You go make am when you work hard.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by jaybanks(m): 5:38pm On Aug 15, 2007
wow, i've been outta this site 4 long .didn't know i had this amount of replies.thanx y'all.well when that honeyworld entertainment starts operation pls announce it it on these site.
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by richo(m): 6:30pm On Aug 20, 2007
i myself am a fuckin rap artist! the problem aint droppin the hit songs; we do that every day its how to get pay thats the probs.we are in kaduna but this stupid place has nothin for us so we are bringin our videos to lagos.being a producer aint easy oh and no nigger is ready to buy any song so guy its better you go sing am urself.thats haw naija is
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by richo(m): 6:35pm On Aug 20, 2007
n.b if theres any musician out there who is of international standard and wan2 keep in touch with a fellow hustler mail me , reachingrichie@yahoo.com. it doesnt matter if your a rapper or r&b singer
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by adaniel(m): 2:25am On Aug 22, 2007
writing lyrics requires practice. many writers dont get ahead because they're not ready tosubmit their work for appraisal and critical comments that can be of help. this is a few tips on songwriting.
1. Let your vocabulary be simple to understand for a start.
2. Let the song have a theme.
3. Always have a pen and paper handy, you can be inspired at any time and anything can happen.
4. Learn to use rhymes.
5. Let your song have a meaning. Read it to yourself and sing it to someone as another songwriter's song.
6. Dont rush to the studio or to sell, we have enough junks on air.
7. Send it to songwriter's company overseas for appraisal. it won't cost You a dime.
8. Be original. Be yourself.
9. It is important that your lyrics should have a message. things that you are not happy about or things that make you happy.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by slimnike(m): 1:09am On Aug 25, 2007
To all My fellow songwriters, a time will come when we will be happy to see our songs win Grammee Awards. Keep writing,
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by Seun(m): 10:08pm On Aug 25, 2007
Please do. I look forward to hearing your music on MTV Africa.
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by slimnike(m): 2:45pm On Sep 03, 2007
Seun watch out for me. You'll be hearing from me soon.
Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by alisigwe(m): 6:37pm On Sep 13, 2007
to me ,personally i think,as an upcoming artist in naija,it aint cool to keep getting cheese,alwayz on mind,just keep doing ur thing no matter where u reside,as 4 me rap is what i like doing,i gat sth i do to get paid,still planning to spend like15 grand,one 1 track that i aint rushing to push to fm,i gat three demos down now,still drooping,nat really giving a mess about the cheese,ama do it when i think the time is right,GINO really inspired me alot, maybe planning to buy ya own systems could also help,drooping tracks ur own way.i dont really believe in all trs shits abt record deal in naija,they are not just real.they wait 4 u to bve established bf they sign u,peace.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Songwriting Career? by slimnike(m): 11:59pm On Sep 21, 2007
Rap music in Nigeria, undecided undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tlc Vs Destiny's Child / K'naan's 'wave Your Flag' Vs Akon's 'oh Africa' / Harry Mosco Is Dead : Veteran Singer ''love Wan Tin Tin '

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.