Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,017 members, 7,863,681 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:20 PM

Nigeria's Sudan Referendum - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Sudan Referendum (576 Views)

Poll: It's a referendum on the Nigerian Union.

Nigeria should remain intact as it is presently constituted: 54% (6 votes)
Nigeria should be divided into two republics, North and South: 45% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

USA Politician Supports Biafra Referendum / Catalona Referendum, Pro Catalona Leading / The Most Serious Issue to Face in 2012 - Referendum or Reform Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Sudan Referendum by DeepSight(m): 5:59pm On Apr 20, 2011
The post election violence in Nigeria has brought to the fore of my mind a question that claws at the root of the peculiar Nigerian combination of ethnic nationalities. That question gnaws at my mind on every occasion of ethno-religious political violence, of which this country has sadly seen a lot.

If Nigeria were to undergo a Sudan-style referendum concerning whether or not the union should remain or be divided along a North-South divide, what do you think will be the result?

Cast your own vote in the poll above.
Re: Nigeria's Sudan Referendum by 2mch(m): 6:01pm On Apr 20, 2011
Southerner's do not get along with each other. Neither do Northerner's. So if we break it, we break into about 6 countries. Since that is almost not feasible as we will have a lot of refugee's in he SW. grin cheesy. Regionalism will seem like a better idea.
Re: Nigeria's Sudan Referendum by DeepSight(m): 6:13pm On Apr 20, 2011
Well it is true that Nigeria is badly fractured in terms of ethno-religious loyalties. I could have included more options in the poll such as Confederacy. However the poll is designed to test the preference of Nigerians as between a single union and a North/South divide. No one should mistake me as advocating a division of the country on this account though. This is part of a three part online research into the sovereign yearnings of the people of the Niger Area particularly in light of the recurrent ethno religious violence in some Northen States such as Plateau State.
Re: Nigeria's Sudan Referendum by 2mch(m): 6:15pm On Apr 20, 2011
Instead of a north/ south divide, i will rather stay in this crap called Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria's Sudan Referendum by DeepSight(m): 6:20pm On Apr 20, 2011
^^^ Cool. Do you mind sharing your reasons?
Re: Nigeria's Sudan Referendum by DeepSight(m): 6:23pm On Apr 20, 2011
Moderator, can we have this referendum on the front page? In light of recent events, I figure it is quite topical to know the mind of the public on these issues.
Re: Nigeria's Sudan Referendum by 2mch(m): 6:24pm On Apr 20, 2011
Preferable choice is a United States of Nigeria, or a Regional based government with a central army, represented equally by all regions. Each region having its duly appointed leader to sit in a cabinet and make final decisions. While we would have leaders at the regional level, much like state House of representative creating laws and policies to govern the region.
Re: Nigeria's Sudan Referendum by DeepSight(m): 6:41pm On Apr 20, 2011
^^^thats a confederacy
Re: Nigeria's Sudan Referendum by beloveeed: 7:00pm On Apr 20, 2011
i support confederacy, If we try confederacy and still having problems then lets break up after a period of agreed time

(1) (Reply)

The Injustice On Corpers / The Government Should've Popularised Buhari In The Ss/se / Obama Calls Nigeria's Jonathan, Laments Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.