Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,391 members, 7,836,575 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

I Pay Police’s Salaries In Lagos, Not Buhari: Sanwo-olu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Pay Police’s Salaries In Lagos, Not Buhari: Sanwo-olu (582 Views)

Police salaries unchanged 10 months after FG-approved increment / Pastor Canon Iyke Egbuonu Says "The Man In Aso Rock Is Not Buhari" / The Man In Aso Rock Is Not Buhari - Fani-kayode Insists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

I Pay Police’s Salaries In Lagos, Not Buhari: Sanwo-olu by dre11(m): 3:19pm On Apr 19, 2021
Mr Sanwo-Olu was also frustrated that President Muhammadu Buhari had remained deaf to calls for state police.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu claims that his administration pays the salaries of police officers in Lagos, though it is in the federal government’s control.

Mr Sanwo-Olu was also frustrated that President Muhammadu Buhari had remained deaf to calls for state police.

“It is massive frustration, and it is a very simple thing that we are trying to address here,” Mr Sanwo-Olu admitted. “We currently support the Lagos state police command in all affairs.”

The governor expatiated on the level of support, claiming, “We are paying their salaries. So, we are actually incurring those expenses already. But it will help us once we know there is state police.”

He revealed this on Channels TV Sunday evening while discussing why he ditched Amotekun for LNSC.

Insisting on the importance of each state controlling its police, Mr Sanwo-Olu argued, “We should make state policing happen. That is really one of the critical things I believe would help us. It’s been said over and over again.

“Modern crime cracking now is intelligence. It is how well you can smell a black spot before it became an endangered species for you, and that is what intelligence is all about, and you tell the people who are in charge that information.”

He suggested that Mr Buhari and his security advisers were not in tune with modern methods of cracking crimes, saying, “Those are the kind of conversations that we need to make a quick decision on in this country. We are supporting the Lagos state police command in all affairs and ramifications.

“But as it is still a federally-controlled police force. There is a limit to which we can intervene in their modes of parameter and their rules of engagement.”

Regarding the recent launch of body cameras for state-owned security operatives, the governor pointed out, “We said we need to stay along the line where we have a comparative advantage. These are our own security operatives.

“We want to hold you accountable. We want you to be accountable for your action and inaction. You are going to go through this protocol.”

Sounding pained that the police did not take a similar step, he said, “We cannot force the Nigeria police. We can persuade them.

“We are trying to encourage them. But it also has consequences that they need to also be accountable for this.”

According to him, however, the police are considering providing body cameras for their officers.

“They need to know that in the events of issues or case, you will be held accountable.

“So they are looking at their own protocols, their own internal issues in their own internal structure.”

Mr Sanwo-Olu added, “Maybe they will come back to us. Let’s start with the one within our control.”

The payment of salary is for the 1,200 constabularies not the entire police force in Lagos.

https://gazettengr.com/i-pay-polices-salaries-in-lagos-not-buhari-sanwo-olu/

Lalasticlala
Re: I Pay Police’s Salaries In Lagos, Not Buhari: Sanwo-olu by Jerryherd: 3:25pm On Apr 19, 2021
cool

No wonder RRS don't behave like regular police officers in other states , they are well paid for their services

1 Like

Re: I Pay Police’s Salaries In Lagos, Not Buhari: Sanwo-olu by NwaNimo1(m): 3:26pm On Apr 19, 2021
Re: I Pay Police’s Salaries In Lagos, Not Buhari: Sanwo-olu by delpee(f): 3:28pm On Apr 19, 2021
Jerryherd:
cool

No wonder RRS don't behave like regular police officers in other states , they are well paid for their services

Exactly! Decent and capable guys indeed.

2 Likes

Re: I Pay Police’s Salaries In Lagos, Not Buhari: Sanwo-olu by Islie: 3:33pm On Apr 19, 2021
https://dailytimes.ng/i-pay-polices-salaries-in-lagos-not-buhari-sanwo-olu/

While the salaries of police officers in Lagos are under the jurisdiction of the federal government, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu says that his administration pays them.

Mr Sanwo-Olu was also angry that President Muhammadu Buhari had ignored demands for state police.

Mr Sanwo-Olu admitted, “It’s a huge annoyance, and it’s a really easy thing that we’re trying to fix here.” “At the moment, we are supporting the Lagos state police command in all matters.”

“We are paying their salaries,” the governor said, expounding on the extent of funding. As a result, we are already incurring those costs. But if we know there are state police, it will support us.”

He revealed this on Channels TV Sunday evening while discussing why he ditched Amotekun for LNSC.

“We should make state policing happen,” Mr Sanwo-Olu said, emphasizing the importance of each state having power over its police. That is one of the most important items I believe will assist us. It’s been said many times.

“Intelligence is now the key to modern crime prevention. It’s about how good you can smell a black spot until it becomes an endangered species for you, because that’s what knowledge is all about, and you report that information to the people in charge.”

He suggested that Mr Buhari and his security advisers were not in tune with modern methods of cracking crimes, saying, “Those are the kind of conversations that we need to make a quick decision on in this country. We are supporting the Lagos state police command in all affairs and ramifications.

“But as it is still a federally-controlled police force. There is a limit to which we can intervene in their modes of parameter and their rules of engagement.”

Regarding the recent launch of body cameras for state-owned security operatives, the governor pointed out, “We said we need to stay along the line where we have a comparative advantage. These are our own security operatives.

“We want to hold you accountable. We want you to be accountable for your action and inaction. You are going to go through this protocol.”

Sounding pained that the police did not take a similar step, he said, “We cannot force the Nigeria police. We can persuade them.

“We are trying to encourage them. But it also has consequences that they need to also be accountable for this.”

According to him, however, the police are considering providing body cameras for their officers.

“They need to know that in the events of issues or case, you will be held accountable.

“So they are looking at their own protocols, their own internal issues in their own internal structure.”

Mr Sanwo-Olu added, “Maybe they will come back to us. Let’s start with the one within our control.”

So, why is police in Lagos been controlled by the centre if it can't fulfill its obligation of paying their salary
Re: I Pay Police’s Salaries In Lagos, Not Buhari: Sanwo-olu by FarahAideed: 3:43pm On Apr 19, 2021
Why are you doing that , when you do that you allow the those at FG level to have enough to steal
Re: I Pay Police’s Salaries In Lagos, Not Buhari: Sanwo-olu by Nobody: 3:48pm On Apr 19, 2021
Jerryherd:
cool

This is the legacy to Tinubu they love to hate. A tribute to him that Lagos is far ahead of others and perhaps the most sane and most civilised State in Nigeria.

What is the condition today of Adamawa that Atiku comes from? What has Fayemi made of Ekiti? Anything special about Orji Kalu's Abia? Peter Obi's Anambra nko?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Pay Police’s Salaries In Lagos, Not Buhari: Sanwo-olu by Mynd44: 3:50pm On Apr 19, 2021
8. Don't post false information on Nairaland.

(1)

Nigerian Emerges First African Student Rep In Scottish Varsity’s 438-year Histor / Indeed The So Called Protest Was A Jamboree / Atiku, Goodluck Jonathan, Sambo, Osinbajo And The Office Of The Vice President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.