Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,714 members, 7,816,943 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country (2877 Views)

₦9.1Billion, 117 Years Imprisonment, Britain's 'biggest Ever' Cocaine Bust(pics) / Notorious Robber ‘Enugu Road’ Arrested As Criminal Girlfriend Flees. Photos / Man Parks His Car With His Daughter In Ogun. Robber Flees With Car & Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by Phlegman: 8:06pm On Apr 22, 2021
(Bloomberg) --

https://www.bloombergquint.com/amp/business/turks-suspect-massive-crypto-losses-as-exchange-ceo-goes-missing

One of Turkey’s largest cryptocurrency exchanges said it lacked the financial strength to continue operations, leaving hundreds of thousands of investors fearing their savings have evaporated as authorities sought to locate the company’s 27-year-old founder, who fled the country.

Confusion reigned about how many users of the Thodex exchange were affected and how much money was at stake. In a statement from an unknown location, Thodex Chief Executive Officer Faruk Fatih Ozer promised to repay investors and to return to Turkey to face justice after he did. The government moved to block the company’s accounts and police raided its head office in Istanbul.

Losses could be as high as $2 billion, according to Haberturk newspaper, and a lawyer for the victims said the money invested by about 390,000 active users had become “irretrievable.” Both figures have been disputed by Ozer. About 30,000 users have been impacted, he said in a statement on the company’s website on Thursday.

While authorities and customers tried to work out the details of what happened, a senior official in President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s office called for rapid regulation of the crypto market. Globally, the surge in the prices of digital tokens has been accompanied by convictions and regulatory measures after various scams tied to trading platforms.

The Turkish government should take action “as soon as possible,” Cemil Ertem, a senior economic adviser to Erdogan, told Bloomberg. “Pyramid schemes are being established. Turkey will undoubtedly carry out a regulation that’s in line with its economy but also by following global developments.”

Alternative Investments
Thodex was part of the cryptocurrency boom that has drawn in legions of Turks seeking to protect their savings from rampant inflation and an unstable currency. Inflation hit 16.2% in March, more than three times the central bank’s target of 5%. The Turkish lira has weakened 10% against the dollar this year, its ninth consecutive year of losses.

The government spent a massive $165 billion in foreign-exchange reserves over the past two years, Erdogan revealed on Wednesday, part of a futile effort to prop up the national currency. Concern about the country’s dwindling foreign-exchange reserves, which are negative when money borrowed by the government from private banks via swap agreements are factored in, has fueled concern about both lira and dollar deposits -- and pushed savers into alternative investment vehicles.

Last Friday, the volume of trade in Turkish crypto markets tripled to over $1.2 billion from a week earlier, according to data published by coingecko.com, which tracks data on price, volume and market value on crypto markets. That compares with an average daily trading volume in the Turkish stock market’s benchmark index of about $3.1 billion.

“One can establish a crypto exchange with just 50,000 liras (about $6,000) in capital,” Oguz Evren Kilic, a lawyer representing Thodex users, said by phone. “There’s a huge regulatory gap in this field.”

Ozer didn’t respond to multiple calls to his mobile phone. The company’s call center also didn’t pick up calls. Bedirhan Oguz Basibuyuk, Thodex’s lawyer, told Bloomberg he doesn’t know where Ozer is but that he’s not in Turkey. Demiroren News Agency reported that he fled to Albania on Tuesday, publishing what it said was a photo of him at Istanbul’s airport.

Dogecoin Campaign
Last month, Thodex initiated a campaign to boost membership by offering millions of free Dogecoins to new registrants. Its website says 4 million of the coins were distributed, though many people have taken to social media to complain they never received them.

“I was born as one of the three siblings of a civil servant,” Ozer said in his statement, adding that he’s a high-school dropout. As the company ran into financial trouble, he said he thought about either committing suicide or giving himself up to authorities, but both of those options meant clients’ assets would never be retrieved.

“So I decided to stay alive and fight, work and repay my debts to you,” he said. “The day I repay all my debt, I will return to my country and give myself in to justice.”

©2021 Bloomberg L.P.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by Golan007: 8:08pm On Apr 22, 2021
grin

The guy do them strong thing.

Truth is, he's now a marked man and I don't think he'll make it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by Crimrburster: 8:08pm On Apr 22, 2021
Anything cry pto will surely end with maximum tears.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by Nobody: 8:12pm On Apr 22, 2021
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by cryout: 8:16pm On Apr 22, 2021
All these get rich quick schemes
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by XXXXTENTACION: 8:19pm On Apr 22, 2021
Wahala for investors. . . . A Penny spent is a penny saved. grin

4 Likes

Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by DaddyRochie1642: 8:33pm On Apr 22, 2021
The man don japa grin grin
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by tillaman(m): 8:46pm On Apr 22, 2021
Japa japa
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by PoshTraveler: 9:05pm On Apr 22, 2021
remitano that is owned by nigerians. omo if them run with my btc my own don finish

1 Like

Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by PoshTraveler: 9:06pm On Apr 22, 2021
cryout:
All these get rich quick schemes
this is not get rish quick anumanu

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by Chummynoni(m): 9:57pm On Apr 22, 2021
E choke
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by Iykoto86(m): 10:32pm On Apr 22, 2021
See Cash out.
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by Wepro25(f): 11:17pm On Apr 22, 2021
Na make this cryto no end like MMM
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by MansoryMX(m): 1:04am On Apr 23, 2021
PoshTraveler:
remitano that is owned by nigerians. omo if them run with my btc my own don finish

Why will you keep your Btc inside Remitano wallet. Wetin do blockchain Okorowamama cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by Harrykn: 4:01am On Apr 23, 2021
Japa japa, I’m sure he’ll be arrested but if he comes to Nigeria, 14 virgins for him, 1400 cows and 14000 cow men and relatives will provide security for him
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by backtalkG(m): 4:35am On Apr 23, 2021
same thing that happened in Nigeria earlier this year but nobody is talking about it
people savings gone like that
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by Brotherbaby(m): 4:53am On Apr 23, 2021
Terrible cry
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by nedekid: 5:14am On Apr 23, 2021
Golan007:
grin

The guy do them strong thing.

Truth is, he's now a marked man and I don't think he'll make it.
He have use their money to buy "benz" grin
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by kuuljay(m): 5:49am On Apr 23, 2021
Crypto will go the way of mmm someday but this time it's gonna be global
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by PoshTraveler: 7:20am On Apr 23, 2021
MansoryMX:

Why will you keep your Btc inside Remitano wallet. Wetin do blockchain Okorowamama cheesy
we use it for trading. Omo the thing dey fear me atimes o. Those people behave very suspicious especially 2hen they want to verify u
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by BigBizzy(m): 11:23am On Apr 23, 2021
[url]link[/url] or I don't believe it
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by Phlegman: 11:59am On Apr 23, 2021
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by jesmond3945: 2:35pm On Apr 23, 2021
Their is nothing new, exchanges always go bust. But the crypto world remains. Try and put your crypto in secure wallets and not exchanges.

1 Like

Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by mytime24(f): 7:10pm On Apr 23, 2021
d founder get naija blood running in him

1 Like

Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by maasoap(m): 7:18am On Apr 24, 2021
High school dropout! More like someone who was looking for a way to cash out big time.
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by GeneralPula: 3:27pm On Apr 24, 2021
Crimrburster:
Anything cry pto will surely end with maximum tears.

Only for the ignorance that doesn’t know how to go about it..
Re: Turkey's Largest Crypto Exchange Goes Bust As Founder Flees Country by RMoneyInTheBank: 4:13pm On Apr 24, 2021
PoshTraveler:
this is not get rish quick anumanu
how market?

(1) (Reply)

Lifeless Body Of Young Lady Found In Umuahia Major Road (photo) / W-I-C-K-E-D: See What Man Did To His Wife....readers Discretion Advised / Army Imposter Nabbed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.