Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,209 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? (19847 Views)

Lockdown: Wike Orders Auction Of Seized Vehicles / Breaking: Customs Commences Online Auction Of Seized Vehicles, Goods / Customs Begins Online Auction Of Seized Vehicles, Goods - Daily Trust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by unitysheart(m): 5:17pm On Apr 23, 2021
FarahAideed:
Do they get a solidly contested forfeiture order from the courts before selling? Or they sell under the auspice of executive order ?

They get orders from court and you may appeal the judgements if you so wish.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by Businext: 5:18pm On Apr 23, 2021
How do they get the car papers

I don't support traffic violation

I don't support selling of defaulters vehicles

#StandByJustice
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by unitysheart(m): 5:18pm On Apr 23, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:
Yes, I think it is legally wrong.
No one should dispose off another party asset except through the order of a court(superior court) that is, high court or its equivalent with a temporary forfeiture and final forfeiture order obtained by the relevant agency.
This applies to cow, car, house, jewellery and any other item of value. But this is Naija, we operate by law of the rulers, so every ruler determines the law to follow, if Na lie, ask the Terrorist in Chief

I was arrested for driving one way too and I was charged to court. I however chose to settle out of court and I paid 200k into government account. If I hadn't chosen that option I'd have been made to face the court and the court will surely rule against me because pictorial and video evidences are presented in court by the arresting officials.

5 Likes

Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by FarahAideed: 5:18pm On Apr 23, 2021
unitysheart:

They get orders from court and you may appeal the judgements if you so wish.

Oh okay that's fine
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by unitysheart(m): 5:19pm On Apr 23, 2021
naptu2:
The issue of the courts have been resolved a long time ago.

Many years ago, when Fashola was governor, someone sued LASTMA and the courts declared that LASTMA has no right to impose punishments like fines and forfeitures. Therefore, what happens at the moment is that there are mobile courts all over the place where you will be tried if you commit a road traffic offence. However, you can chose to wave your right to trial and instead pay the fine or face whatever punishment that is prescribed. In doing so you have agreed to settle out of court.

Yes. I waived my rights to trial and paid the imposed fine.
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by dapadawee: 5:19pm On Apr 23, 2021
helinues:
shocked
Cow and Car comparison
guy some cow cost pass some car o
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by drmikeadams(m): 5:19pm On Apr 23, 2021
It's wickedness,it's devilish.....u Don t put any visible one way sign post,,then u send hoodlums to impound somebody's car and auction..same govt will blow sirreen and pass one way.. grin bunch of jokers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by chloride6: 5:20pm On Apr 23, 2021
It's the most stupid law ever guaranteed to cause further corruption in the system..

LASTMA officials now cashing out steady..

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by vioment: 5:21pm On Apr 23, 2021
Very wrong.

Illegal in a sane country or society.

You punish people to make them learn from their wrong doing, not make them hopeless.

It is one thing if they hold on to the cars for 3 years or more, but the organizers of this programme, like many other organized programs in many Nigerian states, are uncivil and barbaric as usual.

Nigerian leaders are frustration pilers.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by unitysheart(m): 5:21pm On Apr 23, 2021
[quote author=naptu2 post=101055801][/quote]

Bros, dem no dey see am buy. It dey hard for th grin
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by tunary(m): 5:21pm On Apr 23, 2021
Yes without warning
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by adedehinbo(m): 5:22pm On Apr 23, 2021
Blue3k:
Why do certain people feel its wrong for Lagos to auction seized vehicles but it's right for Ondo to auction Siezed Cattle?

Lagos State only have the right to,if the reason for driving against traffic is not due to bad roads
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by plaindealer: 5:23pm On Apr 23, 2021
Blue3k:
Why do certain people feel its wrong for Lagos to auction seized vehicles but it's right for Ondo to auction Siezed Cattle?

Cattle belong to Hausa Fulani

It's all about hatred, bitterness, tribalism and bigotry.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by Springboot: 5:24pm On Apr 23, 2021
For those that use one way and put other people's lives at risk, I think it is a good move by the state government, they should also add jail term to it.

4 Likes

Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by Managerwyz: 5:24pm On Apr 23, 2021
Why will a sane person be comparing Nigeria with countries like USA and AU

Nigerians will never learn

[quote author=naptu2 post=101055801][/quote]
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by 2special(m): 5:29pm On Apr 23, 2021
Blue3k:

They're both private property so it's comparable. They're both worth around the same amount depending on the age of the vehicle. I don't get why you're acting dumb. Now answer what's the logical difference between the state siezing a cow and car then auctioning?

Which state are you referring to?
Never call someone dumb
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by lahizak: 5:29pm On Apr 23, 2021
Blue3k:

None of those properties should have been auctioned. They should have placed heavy fine on them and allow the owners d opportunity to get dere item back
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by adedehinbo(m): 5:31pm On Apr 23, 2021
Blue3k:

Lagos State only have the right to,if the reason for driving against traffic is not due to bad roads.
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by uchennaq(m): 5:31pm On Apr 23, 2021
They are totally wrong, because some evil people will turn it as business. They will be impounding innocent people's car and be selling it off to their own people. This is criminality. If they are really serious, what they are supposed to do is to destroy the car. That is if they are serious. Owners or defaulters should pay fine and take back their cars.Period.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by Blue3k(m): 5:33pm On Apr 23, 2021
KingAzari:
They should maintain the same level of energy on danfo, korope, keke, okada, tankers, trailer and other commercial vehicles drivers. They only flex their muscles on private cars drivers.

Agreed
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by OlujobaSamuel: 5:33pm On Apr 23, 2021
unitysheart:

I was arrested for driving one way too and I was charged to court. I however chose to settle out of court and I paid 200k into government account. If I hadn't chosen that option I'd have been made to face the court and the court will surely rule against me because pictorial and video evidences are presented in court by the arresting officials.
I'm not disputing such nor the sufficiency of the penalty against the crime.
My response is on the legality of the process. Using mobile court to auction off property is wrong, it's just like a magistrate court giving order for building demolition.
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by Blue3k(m): 5:36pm On Apr 23, 2021
2special:
Never call someone dumb

I said he's acting dumb and I'll call anybody I please dumb. I doubt you're going to fight me over it.
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by PissfulProtester: 5:37pm On Apr 23, 2021
Blue3k:

They're both private property so it's comparable. They're both worth around the same amount depending on the age of the vehicle. I don't get why you're acting dumb. Now answer what's the logical difference between the state siezing a cow and car then auctioning?

Don't mind the mor0ns, my brother. A cow is even much more valuable than a car because it can reproduce/multiply. Can a car appreciate in any manner?
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by uchennaq(m): 5:42pm On Apr 23, 2021
They are totally wrong, because some evil people will turn it as business. They will be impounding innocent people's car and be selling it off to their own people. This is criminality. If they are really serious, what they are supposed to do is to destroy the car. That is if they are serious. Owners or defaulters should pay fine and take back their cars. Period.
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:44pm On Apr 23, 2021
Blue3k:

Because it is Unlawful and Stealing!
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by ABCthings: 5:44pm On Apr 23, 2021
PissfulProtester:
Don't mind the mor0ns, my brother. A cow is even much more valuable than a car because it can reproduce/multiply. Can a car appreciate in any manner?
See your head. It takes two cattle to reproduce. Meanwhile I can get more money doing uber with my car than waiting for one cow somewhere to give birth.
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 5:44pm On Apr 23, 2021
LASTMA staff are yet to learn from police about being extremely wicked to sell off people's cars .....

If you count the number of police men in Niaja only few have their Children behaving like sane people due to curses they got from frustrated and weak people that can't go extra mile obtaining their vehicles.....

If one uses the wrong lane or whatever offense committed, and LASTMA gets hold of one, they should have stipulated amounts meant for each offence and bill the person immediately......

Auctioning of people's hard earn vehicles is a theft to humanity except if the offender fails to meet up to the amount within from 2- 6years of not paying the bills,...
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Apr 23, 2021
Blue3k:

Car n cow prices no be mate abeg
Re: Is Lagos State Wrong For Selling Seized Vehicles? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 23, 2021
Blue3k:

It's not wrong, even the United States government auction seized vehicles

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

GEJ Didnt Attend The NLC/TUC Meeting? David Mark Did? : Is This True? / Massob Members Killed In Onitsha (Picture) / Jonathan Fires All Law School Directors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.