Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,243 members, 7,815,334 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. - NYSC (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. (15653 Views)

A Minute Of Silence For New Corpers From Imsu Who Died On Their Way To Camp / NYSC Bars Corpers From Borno And Yobe / Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by seanet02: 9:48am On Apr 23, 2011
Ileke is this the People that will Protect Sister Azeezat for me?

Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Nobody: 9:49am On Apr 23, 2011
seanet02:

Ileke is this the People that will Protect Sister Azeezat for me?

Which "people"?

There are decent Naija cops out there. Do not be afraid.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by seanet02: 9:52am On Apr 23, 2011
Better be afraid than let Oloriburuku Alamjiri Pa mi Leyan!!
In fact we are already exerting Pressure on her to Abandon this Money for hand death for face Job!!
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 23, 2011
seanet02:

Better be afraid than let Oloriburuku Alamjiri Pa mi Leyan!!
In fact we are already exerting Pressure on her to Abandon this Money for hand death for face Job!!

She'll be fine.

Does she have an alternative job if she leaves Yobe?
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by seanet02: 10:00am On Apr 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

She'll be fine.

Does she have an alternative job if she leaves Yobe?
No. but this job itself is not a permanent job. So better not risk your Life for a 50k job my sister
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by revomind(m): 10:11am On Apr 23, 2011
Those who bothered to reply Junkie and Idi derailed the thread. Learn to ignore their posts.

Signed. Let every individual choose where he/she wants to serve. If you wanna serve up north in Potiskum, so be it. Go have a nice time.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Arosa(m): 10:59am On Apr 23, 2011
efisher
Corpers no longer benefit much from NYSC. A lot of them end up wasting away for a year. Others even lose their lives. It is the nation that stands to gain from them. The North even benefits more from the scheme. If their safety cannot be guaranteed, they should be withdrawn. When such states begin to feel the negative impact of not having corpers sent to them, nobody will beg them to put their houses in order. For now, all states that cannot safeguard corpers should be denied corpers. Like it or not, the murder of a corper serving the nation should not be treated the same way any other murder should be treated. That may be hard to swallow but that is how it should be. I can liken it to the  way press men are treated during wars. There are rules of engagement and deliberate killing of press men is not allowed during wars. Such cases are not treated with levity.

Well said, bravo.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Sarahluv(f): 11:11am On Apr 23, 2011
The Government failed in its bid to protect innocent citizens - fact.

The Government directly sent corp members from the south to the north amongst other Federal workers. - fact.

The FG can now take several steps to protect lives and properties.

The first short-term solution will be to immediately bring back to the Southern corpers home until such a time that adequate security measures can be provided.

The medium term plan would be to impose a six month curfew on the affected States. Borno has had a curfew in place for the past one year ( yet see what the murderers are still doing there). This would give time for adequate security reports on the activities of the perpetrators, and possibly, total destruction of their operations.

In the long term, the steady supply of soldiers for this murderous army should be blocked. How? Educate, I mean, really educate the almajiris. Using legal means, stop the use of children as beggars under the guise of Islamic education. It is such children that have been easily brainwashed over the years because they are psychologically disadvantaged. Now educate these children and ban any mallam from using the kids as child slave beggars.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by soloqy: 11:12am On Apr 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

What does it say?
Since you're full of pointers, dash one out abeg.

Permanent withdrawal of NYSC corps from the North is NOT going to work. The best thing to do is to provide them with strict securities during election periods. Mr pointer pointee.

The 'simple', answers a matter before he/she hears it (scripture).

Your arguments, as well as that of your sidekick whom you are trying so hard to please, confirms that quote.

Whoever told you that its only during elections that NYSC members are under attack in the north?

Someone in Denmark mocks Mohammed, the Northerners kill southerners they can lay their hands on. And who are these southerners that they can easily lay their hands on? NYSC members. USA bombs Iraq and afghan, they riot and look for Southerners and christians they can lay their hands on and who is easiest for them to get, the NYSC members.

When I read some posts of yours and that of your sidekick Kobojunkie, I wonder just how callous you both can be at times. If you trivialize the very painful disaster that has befallen families for no just cause, just because you want to sound wise, its then a pointer as to how far you are both removed from reality and how totally ignorant you both are of the things happening in the Nation.

The problem is that despite the fact that you are not in tune with what is happening in the country, you still purport to know it, and in fact carry on making statements that expose this ignorance.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Arosa(m): 11:20am On Apr 23, 2011
Quote from: Ileke-IdI
What does it say?

Permanent withdrawal of NYSC corps from the North is NOT going to work. The best thing to do is to provide them with strict securities during election periods. Mr pointer pointee.
How do you provide strict security to the corpers, is it by having armed police/soldier guarding them at all times?
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Sarahluv(f): 11:24am On Apr 23, 2011
soloqy:

The 'simple', answers a matter before he/she hears it (scripture).

Your arguments, as well as that of your sidekick whom you are trying so hard to please, confirms that quote.

Whoever told you that its only during elections that NYSC members are under attack in the north?

Someone in Denmark mocks Mohammed, the Northerners kill southerners they can lay their hands on. And who are these southerners that they can easily lay their hands on? NYSC members. USA bombs Iraq and afghan, they riot and look for Southerners and christians they can lay their hands on and who is easiest for them to get, the NYSC members.

When I read some posts of yours and that of your sidekick Kobojunkie, I wonder just how callous you both can be at times. If you trivialize the very painful disaster that has befallen families for no just cause, just because you want to sound wise, its then a pointer as to how far you are both removed from reality and how totally ignorant you both are of the things happening in the Nation.

The problem is that despite the fact that you are not in tune with what is happening in the country, you still purport to know it, and in fact carry on making statements that expose this ignorance.

You got it right. Most people do not understand the full extent of damage that the riots do to people. These riots have become a recurring decimal in the North, and southerners are fair game. It's almost as if these murderers keep and compare scores on the number of people that die at their hands.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by MSY: 11:36am On Apr 23, 2011
If this violence usually occurs before, during and after election, since the Govt can foresee the riot, why not try to post some sort of temporary security in the North during those periods?

@Ileke-Idi

Let me try again to explain this to you.

Posting temporary security to these locations will not save [/b]the lives of these Youth Corpers. Also, posting temporary security amounts to [b]gambling [/b]with their lives, hoping that the temporary "security" will work, [b]when [/b]the next outbreak happens. Not if, when. I am sure that if you had corper relatives up there now, your take on this will be different.

The reason it amounts to gambling is because, by the very nature of the NYSC program, corpers serving in these locations are almost always from other regions of Nigeria. This means that when there is a riot, they are the first targets, and in this case, easily [b]identifiable
. Many of this corpers are in remote locations, villages and hamlets. Nigeria does not have the desire, or resources to provide security for every corper in these remote locations.

Please take a step back and look at this issue dispassionately. Remember that we are talking about a measure aimed at preserving human life. Nothing should be more important than this. No program. Not even the NYSC.

Finally, i ask that you go back and read that petition again. You will see that it has [b]short [/b]term and [b]long [/b]term demands. It does not ask for the program to be scrapped, even though i personally think that it should be.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by carlconcepts: 11:39am On Apr 23, 2011
pls withdraw there guyz, don't waste their life . .
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by dadamsel: 11:50am On Apr 23, 2011
furiously signed. i serve in the north and my mum almost had a heart attack. am back in lagos though. some aint so lucky. the fact that the authorities did not say anything about this is so annoying. right from goodluck to tsiga,down to the state coordinators. this thing should be scrapped. this is the last straw. am going public with this. we really need to form a group to this effect consisting of parents and the youth alike. the authorities can find another way to loot. enough is enough. this shouldnt just die down. please lets save our children and younger ones. lets get together. my mail address is dadamsel2003@yahoo.com,bb pin,23bb630a. lets go public with this,tv,papers etc
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Sarahluv(f): 12:01pm On Apr 23, 2011
Petition signed.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by sledge406: 12:22pm On Apr 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

What does it say?

You've been quoted after this statement more than 4 times and disproved with your "pointless points" and I trust you'll come back to spew more garbage and indeed show the world how dumb you really are. A round of applause for your unending stupidity.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Nobody: 12:27pm On Apr 23, 2011
Signed
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by sholasho(m): 12:30pm On Apr 23, 2011
I dont think the issue of this killing would be looked into not until the children of those ******** are involved in the killings.
They wont let their children experience all this, when after serving the ******** government for a year, you still wont get a good job which they should provide.
I just know its only gonna be good in this ********** country when we have good government.
And talking of good government i have not seen any good candidate yet.
But God dey sha. But the so called government should reason well that there somewhere above this Earth we will go to
submit our work o! cheesy cheesy
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by beejaay: 12:47pm On Apr 23, 2011
@kobojunkie. by God grace all your people  here in naija and your children if u have one already will be sent to the heart of kaduna,kano,bauchi,sokoto,katsina,maiduguri when its their time to serve their country and they shall receive what the innocent corps member are receiving now. after that we shall see how u shall talk about nysc. u daughter os the greatest PUCKER. i av read all thru your comments on this thread and u didnt even mae sense for once.its easy for u to be saying all that when u dont av any victim amongst them. silly soul
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by sayoplenty: 12:57pm On Apr 23, 2011
Sincerely, the scheme has to be scrapped in d Northern state (if possible) . These pple does not value corper at all. They see them as set of pple who has committed a crime in d city & bn sent to village 4 humillation by them. Those of us dt served in d north wil knw wat am talkn about.     Signed.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by eros(m): 2:09pm On Apr 23, 2011
A petition is not good enough, a bill to scrap NYSC is what we need signed into law.

By the way, alot of corpers are still in these hot regions risking their lives serving who
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Sopono(m): 2:50pm On Apr 23, 2011
Methinks the NYSC scheme should be restructured into a skill acquisition & empowerment scheme.
Let's get real & forget all this bullshit about national unity bla bla bla, it's simply not working!!!!,
How many corp members actually serve in other regions?? with all the posting frauds & settlements
The government should, instead, get the graduates into a camp in their various states of origin, for say a month on crash skills acquisition programme (agriculture, IT etc),
and afterwards deploy the present humongous NYSC budget as start-up finance for those willing to embrace entrepreneurship & self-employment.
People can then take their own fate in their hands and make something of their lives.
This, i believe, will greatly reduce dependency on non-existent white collar jobs while vastly cutting down graduate unemployment & boosting job creation in the informal sector of the economy.

Having said that, i want to quickly add that the school of thought being canvassed by the likes of Kobojunkie & Ileke-Idi is also pertinent to this discussion.
While calling for the restructuring or scrapping of NYSC in its present form, it's very important to state that the unfortunate incidents up north affects a broader spectrum of Nigerians southerners (not just corp members).
Many civil servants, students and other Nigerians of southern origin were equally butchered (as in the past) by these blood-thirsty demons.
Civil servants, for instance, can be moved to any part of the country in line with national needs and they simply have no choice in this matter.
I was transferred to the Zaria flight training school from MMA Ikeja where i worked for seven years before quitting the civil service.
Inasmuch as i didn't want to go there at that time, i simply HAD NO CHOICE, It was also a call to national service like that of the corp members.
The point is that every Nigerian has the right to live in safety in any part of this country without fear of molestation or assault and it is the job of the federal government to protect these inalienable rights.
It is therefore pertinent for us, while condeming these atrocious acts on our hapless youth corpers, to see the bigger picture and do everything necessary to mandate the government to live up to its constitutional responsibility of assuring the security of all Nigerians.
A good way to start is by (1) starting a protest mandating the government to ensure that the findings & recommendations of the judicial commission of enquiry does not go the way of others. That everyone found culpable, no matter how highly placed be made to face the full wrath of the law.
This will serve as detterent to future would-be agents of death & destruction.
(2) Start an agitation for the convocation of a forum, a sovereign national conference, where we can sit down and re-negotiate our future as a people since the contraption called Nigeria is obviously not working.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by state84: 3:03pm On Apr 23, 2011
Please let us get this petition to a decent amount. I see a heavy traffic on twitter when these killings happen so I know there are many of us out there that can sign the petition but are yet to. While this petition may seem inconsequential, please folding our arms is even worse.

It may well be that our means are fairly limited and our possibilities restricted when it comes to applying pressure on our government. But is this a reason to do nothing? Despair is nor an answer. Neither is resignation. Resignation only leads to indifference, which is not merely a sin but a punishment

- Elie Wiesel

It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by contracult: 3:05pm On Apr 23, 2011
Thank you people.
Please keep signing, keep spreading the word! We need to get to a thousand signatures ASAP. Tell all the undergrads in the university to go sign. They are the ones who will be sent to the war zone next year. We are fighting for them oooooo!!
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Arosa(m): 3:09pm On Apr 23, 2011
Everybody should Send text messages to all your friends about the petition and ask them to pass it on, so we can get enough peeps. thank you please.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by ayomifull(f): 3:17pm On Apr 23, 2011
@contacolt, tried several times, i got this message
ERROR - Failed Spammer Checks - Err#106 !!
can u pls sort it asap?
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by contracult: 3:18pm On Apr 23, 2011
Please peeps, if you signed it yesterday and your name did not show up, please sign it again.  The system had a glitch yesterday! And please forward it to every major blogger online. If anyone knows how to contact Linda Ikeji, Bella Naija, Notjustok, etc, etc, please pass it along to them.  Let us show the world we mean business. Thank you!!
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by contracult: 3:19pm On Apr 23, 2011
@ayomifull are you getting that message right now? it appears to be working now.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by contracult: 3:28pm On Apr 23, 2011
Yaay! Linda Ikeji just put it up! Can we get Bella Naija and Notjustok to do so? Thanks.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by biodun70(m): 3:29pm On Apr 23, 2011
Don't let Ukeoma Ikechukwu, Obinna Okpokiri and their NYSC mates die in vain!!

I've actually started a FB group to help get justice for Ukeoma and his mates. The group's name is: justice for Ukeoma Ikechukwu, Obinna Okpokiri et al

Link-http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_179579825426318. Please join and spread the word!

The man died who keeps silent in the face of tyranny-Wole Soyinka
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by asorocker: 3:29pm On Apr 23, 2011
Peeps what if NYSC is restructured , with people choosing to opt out of service when the don't feel like serving. And some states where corpers having killed sanctioned and made to pay heavy fines for each dead corper ( about 20 M) pfizer is paying 7M for each kano baby they used for test.

The money will go to the late corpers family.

States like bauchi has nothing to offer nigeria in anyway way , they aren't a mineral rich state or a food basket or an oil rich state or a state rich in man power .

The FG should device a way of dealing with such trouble making parasitic state by using part of their fed Allocation to compensate people the willing killed by deducting it from source.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by ayomifull(f): 3:45pm On Apr 23, 2011
contracult:

@ayomifull are you getting that message right now? it appears to be working now.

tried again still getting same msg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Kebbi State Orientation Camp Is The Best In Nigeria (pix) / Why The Rising Cases Of COVID-19 In NYSC Camps? NYSC Reacts / NYSC Lagos State To Pay Only 610 Corpers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.