Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,297 members, 7,864,445 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 06:19 PM

Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? (1404 Views)

Tinubu To Receive Draft Bill Seeking Return To Regional Government On Friday / Who Will You Pick To Lead Your Region If Regional Government Is Reintroduced? / Yakassai Backs Power Rotation, Seeks Nigeria’s Return To Parliamentary System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by cocolacec(m): 11:29am On Apr 30, 2021
Regional government is a system of governmment where the regions are strong and the central government is weak .The regions will control their police,Customs,military,coastguard,judiciary ,taxes,resources,Projects,immigration,Laws,Tourism,Health and Education etc.

During the regional govt era,regions were developing at his own pace until the regions were abolished by the military junta of Aguiyi Ironsi in 1966.
Any views
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Hashabiah: 11:31am On Apr 30, 2021
The bloodsucking north will not allow that. They feel it is their right to rule Nigeria and its resources. Forgetting that the south supports the bulk of this contraption called Nigeria

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Nobody: 11:37am On Apr 30, 2021
Hashabiah:
The bloodsucking northern will not allow that. They feel it is their right to rule Nigeria and its resources. Forgetting that the south supports the bulk of this contraption called Nigeria
Have southern lawmakers asked for it in the NA and it was rejected by Northern lawmakers?

When GEJ became the president of Nigeria, he said, "There is nothing wrong with the Nigerian constitution and there is nothing to talk about". I might not get the exact words, but is almost something like that. He said it during a press release and I watch him say it on Channels news or NTA news.

I won't blame Northerners for this, every politicians dey enjoy Nigeria with the way it's been run presently. That's why GEJ a man from the South South geopolitical zone didn't do anything about restructuring till he found out the 2015 election won't be in his favor.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Hashabiah: 11:47am On Apr 30, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
Have southern lawmakers asked for it in the NA and it was rejected by Northern lawmakers?

When GEJ became the president of Nigeria, he said, "There is nothing wrong with the Nigerian constitution and there is nothing to talk about". I might not get the exact words, but is almost something like that. He said it during a press release and I watch him say it on Channels news or NTA news.

I won't blame Northerners for this, every politicians dey enjoy Nigeria with the way it's been run presently. That's why GEJ a man from the South South geopolitical zone didn't do anything about restructuring till he found out the 2015 election won't be in his favor.
Is GEJ the only one culpable? What about the likes of Obasanjo and Tinubu who were very controversial regarding the issue of restructuring...? Or is it that you did not see their own faults. Stop this childish tribalistic sentiment.

The deed has been done, and as it stands now, everyone is filing for a divorce ; the marriage has ended. And people are fed up of trying to make this nonsense work

2 Likes

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by theFilmtric: 11:52am On Apr 30, 2021
Ironsi made a very grave mistake

2 Likes

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Blankstare(m): 11:54am On Apr 30, 2021
theFilmtric:
Ironsi made a very grave mistake

Nzeogu and the likes rather, their misadventure caused us all this till now

3 Likes

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by theFilmtric: 11:57am On Apr 30, 2021
Blankstare:

Nzeogu and the likes rather, their misadventure caused us all this till now
We shall overcome
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by folabayo(f): 11:58am On Apr 30, 2021
The rulers of nigeria economy( i mean our people from dat part of nigeria dat hates education cheesy) the controllers of Niger delta oils, dat region where their elite sends their kids abroad while they send the masses to study mass destruction, to kill so they can marry 150 virgins when they die. Those big fish and pay master from dat region won't accept this you suggestion
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Apr 30, 2021
Hashabiah:
Is GEJ the only one culpable? What about the likes of Obasanjo and Tinubu who were very controversial regarding the issue of restructuring...? Or is it that you did not see their own faults. Stop this childish tribalistic sentiment.

The deed has been done, and as it stands now, everyone is filing for a divorce ; the marriage has ended. And people are fed up of trying to make this nonsense work
When did Tinubu rule Nigeria? Did I stop you from talking about OBJ you this dirty p!!g?

It seems you're blind and didn't see when I talked about southern lawmakers. I specifically chose to talk about GEJ because he is from the Niger Delta, a region that have been screaming about resource control.

You're free to talk about OBJ and stop wailing about my comment you daf+ p!!g.

4 Likes

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by AbaganaMiracle: 12:08pm On Apr 30, 2021
TOO LATE!! Biafra or nothing.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by blinking001(m): 12:43pm On Apr 30, 2021
Regional government won't be a bad idea.

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by harmargedon: 1:00pm On Apr 30, 2021
Regional government would not work because there are more educated people now compared to the old time when it was practiced. Regional government will improve tribalism instead of reducing it. The only system of government that would work is for each state to stand on its own. Just like it's done in the USA.

5 Likes

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by chatinent: 1:19pm On Apr 30, 2021
That will be Nigerian’s nightmare -- the actualization of the Aburi Accord. They'd not embrace decentralisation as it would translate that those regions will hold overdue power than when federated the Nigerian way.

It will also give thoughts of secession, as the secessionists will have a better time to arrange their plan, without any upper chamber to foil it.

This was one of the triggers of the Civil War of 1967; agreeing to decentralise in Ghana, but refusing to do it when they got home, after the Northern and South Western elites spoke some sense into oga at the top that it was a plan to actualize Biafra.

But if I was to suggest, I think a multi-party system is not good for Nigeria. A two-party system is better.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by nthony10: 1:43pm On Apr 30, 2021
harmargedon:
Regional government would not work because there are more educated people now compared to the old time when it was practiced. Regional government will improve tribalism instead of reducing it. The only system of government that would work is for each state to stand on its own. Just like it's done in the USA.

Unfortunately some states have no business being states because they can't produce anything. In two years they will crawl back to the federal government for handout, that's why a state like ebonyi, osun and a host of northern states won't support this restructuring (I mean their politicians).
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by puremaker7(m): 1:55pm On Apr 30, 2021
Hashabiah:

pig
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Hashabiah: 1:57pm On Apr 30, 2021
puremaker7:
pig
I am a pig because I am airing facts? Na wah for your sense of reasoning!!!
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by StaffofOrayan(m): 2:01pm On Apr 30, 2021
harmargedon:

You have been brainwashed!
The state of living in a tribe is tribalism. What exactly is wrong with being loyal to your own group? As opposed to being loyal to a white man's creation?
Do respond

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by puremaker7(m): 2:07pm On Apr 30, 2021
Hashabiah:
I am a pig because I am airing facts? Na wah for your sense of reasoning!!!
which fact? What you just displayed over there was a pure hatred over your main target, has Tinubu ever ruled Nigeria?
Jonathan was a president, he had the power then.
What about your reps and senators currently in the House?

2 Likes

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Hashabiah: 2:15pm On Apr 30, 2021
puremaker7:
which fact? What you just displayed over there was a pure hatred over your main target, has Tinubu ever ruled Nigeria?
Jonathan was a president, he had the power then.
What about your reps and senators currently in the House?
I know you love and support Tinubu, but you need to set aside sentiment and see the bigger picture here. The likes of Tinubu are partly responsible for the planned restrictions on restructuring and for us to deny this will be hypocritical.

1 Share

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Apr 30, 2021
Hashabiah:
The bloodsucking northern will not allow that. They feel it is their right to rule Nigeria and its resources. Forgetting that the south supports the bulk of this contraption called Nigeria
Why should North allow that when it is obvious Azikwe denied North secession before independence and Ironsi dissolved regional govt and put in place Unitary system. Nobody can play with our intelligence, we are not fools to be played like football.
You can't forced & imposed on us what we didn't like and after 60yrs you now want reverse your selfishness.
Some group of people before Independence predicted that they're educationally advantaged and expected to dominate everything that is why they imposed Unitary system on us. North woke up and invested heavily on foreign scholarships and the trend still continues and now they're afraid that in the next few years we'll take over the dream they couldn't actualized; this is the secret of current outrages, propaganda, ethno-religious tension campaigns.
In thin & thick, we must finish Lugard contract by fire-by-force!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Hashabiah: 2:28pm On Apr 30, 2021
Coronabirus:
Why should North allow that when it is obvious Azikwe denied North secession before independence and Ironsi dissolved regional govt and put in place Unitary system. Nobody can play with our intelligence, we are not fools to be played like football.
You can't forced & imposed on us what we didn't like and after 60yrs you now want reverse your selfishness.
Some group of people before Independence predicted that they're educationally advantaged and expected to dominate everything that is why they imposed Unitary system on us. North woke up and invested heavily on foreign scholarships and the trend still continues and now they're afraid that in the next few years we'll take over the dream they couldn't actualized; this is the secret of current outrages, propaganda, ethno-religious tension campaigns.
In thin & thick, we must finish Lugard contract by fire-by-force!
You are just deceiving yourself. Are you aware that the clamour for secessionist is growing stronger by the day? Just of recent 52 northern groups have vouched for the Biafras to go. So what are you saying...? Your region is known to sent this country in reverse due to Illiteracy and terrorism. So why would you want to keep us in the bondage you chose for yourself?

I thank God that the likes of Sunday Igboho are pushing for the breakup of this nonsense
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by gidgiddy: 2:33pm On Apr 30, 2021
cocolacec:
Regional government is a system of governmment where the regions are strong and the central government is weak .The regions will control their police,Customs,military,coastguard,judiciary ,taxes,resources,Projects,immigration,Laws,Tourism,Health and Education etc.

During the regional govt era,regions were developing at his own pace until the regions were abolished by the military junta of Aguiyi Ironsi in 1966.
Any views

Bro, Ironsi did not abolish Regionalism as many have been led to believe. The Regions still existed and controlled its resources right up to the day Ironsi died

It was Gowon who came in after Ironsi and dissolved the Regions, created states, and placed all resources, particularly oil, in the hands of the federal government. The reason why Gowon did all this was to help his Northerners be in control of Nigeria

Regionalism will never return to Nigeria because the North likes the current system more than Regionalism and they will fight to keep it that way

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by ThumbzTNA(m): 3:04pm On Apr 30, 2021
nthony10:

Unfortunately some states have no business being states because they can't produce anything. In two years they will crawl back to the federal government for handout, that's why a state like ebonyi, osun and a host of northern states won't support this restructuring (I mean their politicians).

Ebonyi has more than enough resources to take care of itself, if it has to. The fact that most of those resources arent harnessed now doesnt mean it wont be used later in the future if they need to use them
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by puremaker7(m): 3:32pm On Apr 30, 2021
Hashabiah:
I know you love and support Tinubu, but you need to set aside sentiment and see the bigger picture here. The likes of Tinubu are partly responsible for the planned restrictions on restructuring and for us to deny this will be hypocritical.
me love Tinubu? I hate all the politicians in Nigeria, because they are collectively gang raping the natural resources and the future of the country together.
irrespective of their tribes, they are the same.
What I don't like is when a set of people attack Tinubu and leave the likes of Orji Kalu.

3 Likes

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Hashabiah: 3:35pm On Apr 30, 2021
puremaker7:
me love Tinubu? I hate all the politicians in Nigeria, because they are collectively gang raping the natural resources and the future of the country together.
irrespective of their tribes, they are the same.
What I don't like is when a set of people attack Tinubu and leave the likes of Orji Kalu.
God forbid I support that cruel and corrupt man! What I just wanted to point out was that our present predicament came as a result of indecision. If our past leaders were committed to their ideals and principles, none of this nonsense would have happened
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by puremaker7(m): 3:39pm On Apr 30, 2021
Hashabiah:
God forbid I support that cruel and corrupt man! What I just wanted to point out was that our present predicament came as a result of indecision. If our past leaders were committed to their ideals and principles, none of this nonsense would have happened
yes, the past and the present leaders had failed us.

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by hollah123: 3:43pm On Apr 30, 2021
Hashabiah:
read history n understand that it was an Igbo man that changed it from regionalism to federalism because they thought they will steal others resources n use it to develop their land....read it b4 u come here to argue
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Hashabiah: 3:57pm On Apr 30, 2021
[s]
hollah123:
read history n understand that it was an Igbo man that changed it from regionalism to federalism because they thought they will steal others resources n use it to develop their land....read it b4 u come here to argue
[/s]Bros you are still living in 1960 when the world has already updated to 2021. The Igbos should have their freedom and the reason is simple : The north has been ruling this country for more than 40 years and with those years nothing has been achieved. Rather, it is corruption engulfed in mismanagement of public offices of which the north is notoriously known for.

Thank God Yorubas are finally seeing the light to get out of this forced marriage called Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Apr 30, 2021
Hashabiah:
You are just deceiving yourself. Are you aware that the clamour for secessionist is growing stronger by the day? Just of recent 52 northern groups have vouched for the Biafras to go. So what are you saying...? Your region is known to sent this country in reverse due to Illiteracy and terrorism. So why would you want to keep us in the bondage you chose for yourself?

I thank God that the likes of Sunday Igboho are pushing for the breakup of this nonsense
If u thinking agitation is the actualisation of the struggle go and ask what happened at Tigray recently. Not all people survive to witness such agitations, many people must fall. Agitation formed out of religious hatred and ethno-religious propaganda has no basis and give birth to further concerns of the minorities within the agitating groups.
When the 52 online groups gave ultimatum to some groups residing in the North did we take them serious?
Why did u hail them today and berate them on other days?
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Hashabiah: 5:29pm On Apr 30, 2021
Coronabirus:
If u thinking agitation is the actualisation of the struggle go and ask what happened at Tigray recently. Not all people survive to witness such agitations, many people must fall. Agitation formed out of religious hatred and ethno-religious propaganda has no basis and give birth to further concerns of the minorities within the agitating groups.
When the 52 online groups gave ultimatum to some groups residing in the North did we take them serious?
Why did u hail them today and berate them on other days?
Berating what? Are these not the same northern group who were shouting "one Nigeria "some years back, and now they have changed their tones? Except you want to deny it every sane nigerian is tired of this nonsense and it is just a matter of time before the division of this zoo takes place. So get ready

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by Turantula(m): 6:15pm On Apr 30, 2021
Northerners will starve to death in a matter of months
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Return To Regional Government? by harmargedon: 6:22pm On Apr 30, 2021
nthony10:

exactly, that means if they can't stand by themselves, then they'll have no other option than merging with a State that can exist on it's own.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra Airport cost N6b To Build FG Spend N10b Resurface Enugu Airport. / See The Best Nigerian President Since 1960 (photo) / ‘How Fulani Repel, Send Suspected Bandits Out Of Iwoland’ - Oluwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.