Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. (5786 Views)

House Of Reps Member Wants To Have 50 Children; Believes God Will Feed Them / "SWest Won’t Vote GMB Enmasse Because We Don’t Trust Fulani People" - Gani Adams / The Popularity Of Buhari Among The Swest Leaders And Delegates Is A Hype - Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by EkoIle1: 7:05pm On Apr 23, 2011

Eko and SW o ni baje o
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by Afam4eva(m): 7:09pm On Apr 23, 2011
I can only see Eko and south-west o ni baje

Is that how the south-west will feed? Just by the mention of that sentence.

1 Like

Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by babapupa: 7:21pm On Apr 23, 2011
Fashola approves N500M loans for Agric-Yes graduates
On January 26, 2011 · · In News Tweet
By Olasunkanmi Akoni

Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State has approved the release of about N500 million loan facility for 100 youths who participated in the Agricultural Youth Empowerment Scheme (Agric-YES) aimed at boosting food production in the state.

Meanwhile, the state government has expressed concerns about the impact of climate change on crop and animal production in the state, saying global warning had negatively affected rice production by 40 percent between 2009 and 2010.

Permanent Secretary of the state Ministry of Agriculture, Dr. Yakub Basorun revealed this at a forum with Newsmen at the state secretariat, a situation he said “has been a source of concerns”.

According to Basorun, the administration of Governor Fashola (SAN) had empowered 100 youths who participated in the Agric-YES, saying about N500 million loan facility would soon be granted to the beneficiaries to boost food production in the state.

He said N500 million credit facility for the last batch of participants in the programme “was ready. We will ensure that people will not go to the farm and later run away. This scheme is aimed bringing the interest of youths in agriculture. Every six months, we intend to graduate 100 youths who will be empowered to practice agriculture.

“We are also planning to embark on estate initiative for agricultural programme this year. We are discouraging individual allocation of land and encouraging estates. We have a fish farm estate in Ikorodu and we are looking at establishing a poultry estate where farmers can invest,” he stated.

Commenting on rice production, Basorun said it has specifically suffered much setback as a result of unceasing rainfall and flood, which the permanent secretary attributed about 40 percent decline in the production.

He said the state “witnessed too much flooding in 2010 which affected rice production. There was lots of warming which went on in the northern hemisphere and brought in lots of moisture in our land”.

But Basorun acknowledged that the rice production in the state had improved from 0.5 ton, which the permanent secretary said, the state used to produce before 2007 to a production of about 400 tons in 2010.

He said: “We expect to yield 600 tons of paddy (raw rice) rice annually. When processed, this can come up to about 400 tons of processed rice annually. This is equivalent to 8, 000 bags of rice per annum.

“Before our Rice for job programme started, the yield on our land was 500kg per hectare. Now we reap two tons of rice per hectare and that was when we were producing on 200 hectares. But the impact of global warming has been enormous. In 2009, about 40 percent of rice planted was lost to draught”.

Basorun said the state government would target producing rice on 300 hectares of land this year as against the 200 hectares used last year, disclosing that the aim of the state government was to put in place ultra-modern rice factory before the end of the year.

He however unveiled the plan of the state government “to introduce technology adaptable to our environment to mitigate the impact of climate change. We have introduced machines and flood-resistant seeds to mitigate the effect of global warming. If we cannot increase production, we will not lose”.
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by seanet02: 7:30pm On Apr 23, 2011
Ile Yoruba Oni Baje Layelaye
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ZnO: 7:32pm On Apr 23, 2011
Buahahaha. This is granny-style farming. No innovation at all. This is the 21st century, not Moremi and Lagelu era.lol

Even Ebonyi alone does better than this.
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by Nobody: 7:33pm On Apr 23, 2011
seanet02:

Lai lai!
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by Nobody: 7:42pm On Apr 23, 2011
ZnO:

Buahahaha. This is granny-style farming. No innovation at all. This is the 21st century, not Moremi and Lagelu era.lol

Even Ebonyi alone does better than this.

I like granny style farming, where we just get ibos to till our soil, plant our crops, and do the harvesting, while we keep the proceeds.
What type of farming could be better than granny style farming, hun?
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ZnO: 7:58pm On Apr 23, 2011
Aigbofa:

I like granny style farming, where we just get ibos to till our soil, plant our crops, and do the harvesting, while we keep the proceeds.
What type of farming could be better than granny style farming, hun?

I love it when you guys remain stuck in the 12th century. How will that not be the case when Asiwaju THIEF Tinubu is your leader?
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by seanet02: 8:01pm On Apr 23, 2011
ZnO:

I love it when you guys remain stuck in the 12th century. How will that not be the case when Asiwaju THIEF Tinubu is your leader?
Orji Uzor Kalu is Definitely the Best political Leader In NG
grin grin
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 23, 2011
ZnO:

12th century, 21st century, it doesn't matter, as long as granny style farming is in place and ibo farm labourers keeps coming.
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ektbear: 10:23pm On Apr 23, 2011
How is it granny-style farming? That egg setup is how it is done in the West, if I'm not mistaken.

And there isn't really much information about the rest of their operations.

They'll probably use modern techniques. . . fertilizer, tractors, etc.
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ZnO: 10:28pm On Apr 23, 2011
Unfortunately, about the only national agric. research institute that is functional is in the East

http://www.nrcri.org/

Newspaper reports do not speak volume. All na decoy for Fasola to embezzle money, and flood will just swallow everything sorry. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ektbear: 10:33pm On Apr 23, 2011
ZnO:

Unfortunately, about the only national agric. research institute that is functional is in the East

http://www.nrcri.org/

Newspaper reports do not speak volume. All na decoy for Fasola to embezzle money
^--- ROFL. Account suspended for that site. They didn't pay the bills?  grin grin grin

This is one in Ibadan: http://www.iita.org/

Though I think there is another one my uncle told me of that I cannot remember atm.
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ZnO: 10:43pm On Apr 23, 2011
IITA is not a national institute
It has nothing to do with the West except that it is located there.
In Nigeria, it has branches in Kano, Port Harcourt, Abuja and works closely with researchers in Umudike (the link I provided, which is working except may be in your own computer) and UNN.
Outside Nigeria, it has branches in Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, TANZANIA, Cameroon, Congo etc.
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ektbear: 10:48pm On Apr 23, 2011
Doesn't appear to be my computer alone. SSHed to another machine (which uses a different network) and saw the same account suspended message.

Unfortunate, perhaps they forgot a payment. . .

In any case, makes no sense for the "account suspended" page to show up only from my computer (and this other machine).
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ZnO: 10:50pm On Apr 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

Doesn't appear to be my computer alone. SSHed to another place and saw the same account suspended message. Unfortunate, perhaps they forgot a payment
It works for me, it works for your kanuri-Yoruba brother Alj Harem. So look in the mirror. I digress though, it still remains the only viable national institute involved in crop production.
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ZnO: 10:57pm On Apr 23, 2011
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. [b](pics) [/b]Not Just Talk Like Some People.

Where is the pics? Typically Yoruba fake propaganda
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by babapupa: 11:01pm On Apr 23, 2011
ZnO:

Where is the pics? Typically Yoruba fake propaganda
Ibo people and their backward thinking sha. How do equate a training institute staffed with local and international exparts with granny farming? Do you send your farmers inside bush with shovels without any education in modern farming, skills and technics?

lol @ dude pulling up some incompetent and obsolete fed nonsense and trying to compare it with real functioning and credible institute that's training and graduating real students. How pathetic?

The man is viable, What is viable? Isn't viable about real activities with real people training and results in terms of graduates and visible improvement in farming and products?
IITA in Ibadan remains one of the leading agric research and training institutes in Africa.

This man is displaying a lot of ignorance.
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ZnO: 11:02pm On Apr 23, 2011
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ZnO: 11:03pm On Apr 23, 2011
babapupa:

Ibo people and their backward thinking sha. How do equate a training institute staffed with local and international exparts with granny farming? Do you send your farmers inside bush with shovels without any education in modern farming, skills and technics?

lol @ dude pulling up some incompetent and obsolete fed nonsense and trying to compare it with real functioning and credible institute that's training and graduating real students. How pathetic?

The man is viable,  What is viable? Isn't viable about real activities with real people training and results in terms of graduates and visible improvement in farming and products?
IITA in Ibadan remains one of the leading agric research and training institutes in Africa.

This man is displaying a lot of ignorance.

You title says with pic. Where is the pic?

IITA is not a SW institute, it is not a Nigerian institute.
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ektbear: 11:09pm On Apr 23, 2011
I'd rather have a premier African/International agric institute in my zone than a poorly funded local one that cannot even afford to maintain its website  tongue

Maybe I should chip in $15 to pay their internet fees for the month grin

Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by Nobody: 11:14pm On Apr 23, 2011
seanet02:

Lai lai!
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by Nobody: 11:17pm On Apr 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

I'd rather have a premier African/International agric institute in my zone than a poorly funded local one that cannot even afford to maintain its website  tongue

I'll host it free of charge, for six months. I promise.
Anything for my South East brothers.
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ZnO: 11:17pm On Apr 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

I'd rather have a premier African/International agric institute in my zone than a poorly funded local one that cannot even afford to maintain its website  tongue

While it is in your zone, is it being funded by your zone? No. Also it is located elsewhere within Nigeria and its research is widespread far beyond your zone
Be it known to you that IITA has some financial crisis that may lead to its closure (from Nigeria); when that happens you are finished.

Oh!! Was it for IITA Eko Ile was bragging about how you guys will feed yourselves? That is a non-starter. IITA has been there since the 1960s/70s and you still import from the North. lol
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by babapupa: 11:21pm On Apr 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

lmao. Dude is really clueless.

lmao.
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ZnO: 11:21pm On Apr 23, 2011
Did you notice who the webmaster of NRCRI is?

Webmaster: Alawode A. Olaide,. HAHAHa! Omo Yoruba don chop money wey dey give am to maintain website. Omo ole. grin grin grin grin
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 23, 2011
ZnO:

Did you notice who the webmaster of NRCRI is?

Webmaster: Alawode A. Olaide,. HAHAHa! Omo Yoruba don chop money wey dey give am to maintain website. Omo ole. grin grin grin grin

The webmaster is not responsible for paying your bills.
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ZnO: 11:24pm On Apr 23, 2011
IITA Research Stations

Map of IITA stations

IITA-Benin
   IITA-Cameroon
   IITA-DR Congo
   IITA-Ghana
   IITA-Kenya
   IITA-Malawi
   IITA-Mozambique
   IITA-Nigeria
       IITA/Abuja
       IITA/Kano
       IITA/Maiduguri
       IITA/Onne (Eastern part of Nigeria)
   IITA-Tanzania
   IITA-Uganda
   IITA Ltd, Croydon UK

http://www.iita.org/about/stations
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ektbear: 11:26pm On Apr 23, 2011
Aigbofa:

I'll host it free of charge, for six months. I promise.
Anything for my South East brothers.

Be careful. The server which you host it on, you might lose your indigene rights to it.

"75% of Aigbofa's server is owned by Igbos!" tongue
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ZnO: 11:26pm On Apr 23, 2011
The highest ranking Nigerian ever in IITA is an Igbo man. Prof. Bede Okigbo, former Deputy Director General.

Professor Bede N. Okigbo is the renowned agronomist and retired Director of the World Agricultural Institute in Japan, former Director of the United Nations Institute for Agricultural Research in Africa, Accra, Ghana, and the former Deputy Director-General of the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) Ibadan, Nigeria. He is widely regarded as Africa’s leading Agricultural scientist.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/j4/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3565:the-achebe-foundation-interviews-33-professor-bede-okigbo&catid=45:achebe-foundation&Itemid=168
Re: How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. by ZnO: 11:29pm On Apr 23, 2011
I am a resource person to IITA till tomorrow. We rule there. grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Boko Haram Vows To Escalate Violence With Somali Training / Appeal Court Asks Okorocha To Reinstate Sacked Imo LG Chairmen / Jonathan Will Be Niger Delta Republic President.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.