Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,198 members, 7,849,709 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 08:28 AM

Fight For Me, Buhari Begs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fight For Me, Buhari Begs (2428 Views)

2019 Election: Nobody Will Unseat Me, Buhari Vows / Buhari Begs Nigerians To Reelect Him Ahead Of 2019 Election / Don't Run Against Me In 2019 Election, Buhari Begs Nigerian Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by ehissi(m): 8:46am On May 02, 2021
So says the General and daily trust.................

grin

Fight For Me, Buhari Begs

By
Sonala Olumhense
Sun May 02 2021

Last week, General Muhammadu Buhari found himself face to face with United States Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken.

Buhari may have forgotten, but he first encountered Mr. Blinken, at that time the US Deputy Secretary of State, weeks after he took office in 2015. Ironically, the issues that the two men “discussed” last week are the very same that they covered in 2015 when Buhari was preparing for his first state visit to the US.

Nigerians pay billions of naira to DisCos despite frequent outages
Nigeria has become a giant killing field – PDP
Buhari told Blinken his talks with Mr. President Obama would boost his efforts to overcome terrorism and that Nigeria looked forward to greater US support for the multinational Joint Task Force against Boko Haram.

He then moved up in the world, arriving in the US where he was received like royalty at the White House by a gushing President Obama.

The American leader applauded Buhari’s “reputation for integrity [and] “to make sure that he is bringing safety and security and peace to his country…and a very clear agenda with respect to rooting out the corruption that too often has held back the economic growth and prosperity of his country.”

Obama looked forward to discussing security and counterterrorism, and “how we can be helpful in addressing some of the corruption issues that have held Nigeria back, and unleashing the incredible talent of the Nigerian people.”

Following that meeting, the White House issued a readout on July 21 which said, among others, that Mr. Obama “made clear that the US is prepared to increase support for a holistic effort by the Government of Nigeria to counter Boko Haram; one that protects human rights and brings together security and development tools to defeat Boko Haram and eliminate the factors that fuel extremism.”

Buhari also met with other top officials, notably the then-Vice President, Joe Biden, and they spoke about Vice President Biden and President Buhari spoke about the “…ways in which the US and Nigeria can partner to overcome the challenges and seize the opportunities. President Buhari and the Vice President agreed on the importance of rooting out corruption in order to unlock the full potential of the Nigerian economy and ensure stability.”

This is the context in which Buhari’s meeting with Blinken last week must be evaluated for the embarrassment and shame that it was. As much as I criticize President Olusegun Obasanjo, for instance, he would have requested, and obtained a meeting at the highest levels.

Think about it: Buhari, a man who was celebrated in the White House in 2015, could not get a meeting even with Vice-President Kamala Harris, let alone Mr. Biden. He could not speak with either official even by telephone, although they had in March spoken to the leaders of Kenya and the Democratic Republic of Congo. In November, Biden had also called President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa.

From the rooftop of Buharimania in Washington in 2015, Buhari had become indispensable, inconspicuous and irrelevant, because of his policies at home and abroad, including nurturing some of the problems he had claimed he would solve. And of course, Buhari sent to Washington DC for five years a man who was so old it was unclear he knew where he was let alone why he was there.

Last week, if Buhari loved Nigeria, he should have resigned. Indeed, it is over three years since I first called on him to resign. Now completely out of his depth, with his incompetence and insincerity spilling grave insecurity into every family and every street in Nigeria, Buhari was last week begging Blinken to beg Biden to send the exact same help the US offered him directly six years ago.

It was the same week that the inaugural Chandler Good Government Index (CGGI), ranking countries according to government capabilities and outcomes, placed Nigeria as the third worst on earth, ahead only of Zimbabwe and Venezuela.

Buhari’s response was to hold out his hat, saying that unless the US and other “strategic partners” came to save Nigeria, the consequences would spillover to all countries. It was a reminder of his July 2015 visit, when at the US Institute for Peace he charged that by not selling weapons to Nigeria, the US had “aided and abetted” Boko Haram.

This was about the A-29 Super Tucano light attack aircraft Nigeria had sought to buy from the US for which the Obama administration, citing concerns about Nigeria’s human rights record, had placed a hold. That would get worse after the Nigerian Air Force ‘mistakenly’ bombed a refugee camp in Rann, Borno State, in January 2017. Over 100 refugees and aid workers were killed.

The core of the matter is simply that the Buhari administration has never demonstrated commitment to the task, or competence in implementation. He did not read the papers he signed, and never took seriously the subject of human rights. And as he nurtured corruption and nepotism at home, he somehow hoped that everyone around the world was also deceived.

But everyone has seen the past couple of months for instance when he finally changed his service chiefs, he moved swiftly to protect them from being indicted for war crimes by converting them into “ambassadors.”

Similarly in 2018 as the herdsmen violence began to expand, he told the United Nations General Assembly that the insurgencies in the Sahel and the Lake Chad Basin featured “runaway fighters from Iraq and Syria and arms from the disintegration of Libya.”

Earlier, in April that year, he told Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, that the killer herders had been trained and armed by former Libya leader Muammar Gaddafi, and subsequently “escaped with their arms.”

And yet it was the same killers, who had, among others massacred over 70 Nigerians in Benue State on New Year’s Day three months earlier, with Buhari urging the leaders of that state to “accommodate your countrymen” (the killer herders); and “restrain your people” (the victims).

Three years later, Buhari is begging the world to send the calvary to rescue his government from the same mess he has nurtured for six years.

The truth is that while relocating the AFRICOM Headquarters to Africa might help to put out one or two brushfires, and while friends and partners may send other resources, the real problems (and solutions) are in his hands. The cynicism and duplicity of Buhari’s government has proved to be Nigeria’s biggest challenge.

Every society needs a leader who can think beyond himself, and for the public good. Buhari thinks in indecisive fragments, pandering to hidden agendas.

It is his contradictions and arrogance that are responsible for the chaos and insecurity in Nigeria. For Nigeria to slide back from disintegration, it must have a leader with a national vision and focus: a leader who is persuaded and led by the mammoth challenge of justice, poverty and accountability.

In essence, that is what Blinken was saying to the African media after his meeting with Buhari. Perhaps Buhari, because he ignores the local press, did not read that encounter.

And that is the point.

This column welcomes rebuttals from interested government officials.

https://dailytrust.com/fight-for-me-buhari-begs

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by Lordave: 8:48am On May 02, 2021
This sounds insulting and disgusting the same time.

Who would fight for a dead vulture like Buhari?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by BigSarah(f): 8:48am On May 02, 2021
Who should fight for you? Bokohqram? Bandits? Criminal herdsmen?

7 Likes

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by adolfHitler1934: 8:50am On May 02, 2021
Ok
Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by madridguy(m): 8:52am On May 02, 2021
cool
Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by Nbotee(m): 8:58am On May 02, 2021
Fight for U to remain as President or fight for u against bandits, herdsmen and Terrorists?? Whichever one U mean, We already know say Ur head no correct

5 Likes

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by ThEGodFaThEr104: 9:01am On May 02, 2021
Nonsense........the US should fight for you while you keep releasing Boko Haram killers in the name of rehabilitation and funding killer bandits and terrorists via paying of ransom abi?

The greatest ethnic bigot and hypocritical president ever in the Zoo termed Nigeria!

4 Likes

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by Emergingnation(m): 9:03am On May 02, 2021
He is indirectly asking Boko Haram and bandits to fight for him !

1 Like

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by xpressionx(m): 9:20am On May 02, 2021
I will kill you for free.

5 Likes

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by ygowon: 9:23am On May 02, 2021
He's trying to say he wants to resign but his cabals no free am
Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by choice17(m): 9:24am On May 02, 2021
Fight for you as what please?
Mr incompetence, everything is wrong with this man shocked
Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by Orubebe01: 10:22am On May 02, 2021
The one bandits, Boko Haram and herdsmen have been doing never do you

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by optionalY09: 10:25am On May 02, 2021
He’s not actually talking to Nigerians he knows who he’s talking to, i just don’t know why Nigerians don’t get it.

Buhari n knows who he’s talking to and those he’s talking to have heard him loud and clear. My advise for Nigerians is to get ready Bokoharam and Miyeti Allah/ISWAP would fight dirty for Buhari. it’s an order not a plead

Nigerians should not take that word literary, Buhari means fight for me and he’s not talking to you, he is talking to those he represents, you will see

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by AroleOduduwa2: 10:26am On May 02, 2021
He is begging his online miscreant and foot soldier carrying out jihad to keep fighting for him.

1 Like

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by Akwamkpuruamu: 10:33am On May 02, 2021
Address Nigeria, you won't! Fight bokoharam and your kinsmen bandits, you won't!! Only in your tenure you fell from President to Presidency, yet shame no de catch you. Do you think America na ode like you??

1 Like

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by binsanni(m): 10:44am On May 02, 2021
this werey self

with due respect your Excellency.

thunder fire u

2 Likes

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by FemolasticA: 10:45am On May 02, 2021
You can't sit-down at your comfort zone and expect us to fight for you angry angry nah that's not gonna happen I promise you Mr
Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by UnknownGunMan: 10:52am On May 02, 2021
Fight it by yourself. You started it by yourself so you must end it by yourself. Foolish rotten vegetable of a presidiot
Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by Conner44: 10:55am On May 02, 2021
exactly what bmc's and internet warriors have been doing for buhari.
Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by Omoslim26: 10:57am On May 02, 2021
Have mercy on us if we have wronged you before, just resign,go back to your village and continue your Cow business.

Pllllssssss.

God there is nothing you can't do help us touch the heart of this man let him just resign.

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by blazepascal(m): 11:12am On May 02, 2021
buhari you need serious beating

1 Like

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by Vyzz: 11:47am On May 02, 2021
Smh

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by zabimaru: 12:13pm On May 02, 2021
BigSarah:
how about the unmen knownguns?
Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by EmmySparky(m): 1:13pm On May 02, 2021
Let's brace up for more killings...he just ordered his boys to cause more havoc
Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by ehissi(m): 2:41pm On May 02, 2021
Hmmmmm.......

And the general has lost it. Who will get it together on his behalf?

Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by Racoon(m): 3:10pm On May 02, 2021
After enjoying the peeks of office for 5years while promoting the atrocities of fulani and BH terrorists?
Buhari is a disgrace to Maj.Gen.title holders.Anyway Buhari is BH and BH is Buhari.
Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by Racoon(m): 3:12pm On May 02, 2021
BigSarah:
I tire o! A terrorist asking others to help him fight the terrorists he has pledged affinity to but said he is going to fight.
Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by FreedomArmy: 4:37pm On May 02, 2021
A man who openly support pantami and use state instrument to shield terrorist disguising as herdsmen is asking the US to help him fight terrorism..

Indeed buhari presidency is the greatest scam of the century. An ethnic champion is trying hard to relegate everyone other ethnic groups to the background and is asking foreign powers to help him do that. Does he think everyone is an almajiri that can easily be deceived?
Re: Fight For Me, Buhari Begs by Nobody: 6:46pm On May 02, 2021
Too long! Whatsapp bulk messenger available for 15k only

(1) (Reply)

Biafra: Some People Have Already Started Living In Biafra. / Nigerians Mock Dada Olusegun After Crying On Stage (video) / Tinubu Planning On Muslim/muslim Ticket With A Northern Governor - Adeyanju Deji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.