Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra (3455 Views)

Fashola Commissions Jebba Hydro Power Plant In Niger State (photos) / FG To Fund Budget Through Sukuk Bond / New Petro-chemical Plant To Create 7,000 Jobs In Abia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by Abagworo(m): 1:07am On Apr 25, 2011
FG to build petro-chemical plant in Anambra

Federal Government will soon build a huge petro-chemical facility in Anambra State.

Special Adviser to the President on Petroleum Matters, Dr. Emmanuel Egboga, disclosed this after a courtesy call on Governor Peter Obi at the Government House, Awka, last week. He said he was in Government House to share ideas with Governor Obi whom he described as the best Governor Anambra State has had.

Dr. Egboga said the facility which would be sited at Igbariam area, when completed, would be the biggest gas plant of its kind in Africa with the capacity of creating more than 10,000 employment opportunities for the people and make the state the centre of gas business.

The presidential adviser, who stated that gas exploitation will soon commence in the state, noted that the state, especially the Ugwuoba-Awka area has the biggest gas zone in the country.

He explained that the planned National Gas Pipeline System is connected from the South-East to the North through Calabar, passing through Ajaokuta to Kano on to Sahara and will form part of the Trans-Sahara Gas Pipeline that will take the country ’s gas to Europe.

According to Egboga, the system is equally connected from South West to the North with a connector from South East to the West.

He said part of his discussion with the governor was on measure to ensure early exploitation of petroleum products in the state and commended the governor for his remarkable achievements in every sector.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by dempeople(m): 2:30am On Apr 25, 2011
@ Abagworo,

I never knew about the bolded info!

Elections are over but, is this really another political stunt?
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by ZnO: 3:32am On Apr 25, 2011
^^^^^
It is a well known fact that Anambra has huge oil and gas reserves. Some private investors were doing something on a certain Orient Petroleum there. I have no idea what became of that project.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by dempeople(m): 3:52am On Apr 25, 2011
^^^^^^^^

Yeah I know Anambra has gas reserves but to say it has got the "biggest gas zone" in the country? I never knew of such info. If so then wonderful. I'm  happy for my state.  wink cheesy cheesy
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by EzeUche3(m): 3:53am On Apr 25, 2011
dem_people:

Yeah I know Anambra has gas reserves but to say it has got the "biggest gas zone" in the country? I never knew of such info. If so then wonderful. I'm happy for my state. wink cheesy cheesy

Leads to exploitation. . . I would not be so happy.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by dempeople(m): 4:01am On Apr 25, 2011
EzeUche__:

Leads to exploitation. . . I would not be so happy.

I'm happy for the fact that such huge reserve is domiciled in the SE. In 4-8 yrs of a GEJ presidency and plus the inevitable passing of the PIB bill, a newer resource allocation sharing formula is on the horizon which would guarantee better earnings for the region. Other areas with gas reserves in the SE and SS could be attended to such as the Enugu, Delta etc.

cheesy cheesy
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by ektbear: 4:25am On Apr 25, 2011
Good news. How much oil and gas in Anambra?
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by dempeople(m): 4:58am On Apr 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

Good news. How much oil and gas in Anambra?

I don't actually know but according to the article, its sizeable. I think the state has more gas than oil as I've heard but I've not verified from records.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by ektbear: 5:07am On Apr 25, 2011
5 triillion cubic feet (tcf) of gas, 80 million barrels of oil: http://www.afren.com/operations/nigeria/opl_917/

That is pretty solid. Nigeria's gas reserves are 187 tcf proven, and supposedly up to 600 tcf (http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5418530-147/story.csp).

Good stuff.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by dempeople(m): 5:46am On Apr 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

5 triillion cubic feet (tcf) of gas, 80 million barrels of oil: http://www.afren.com/operations/nigeria/opl_917/

That is pretty solid. Nigeria's gas reserves are 187 tcf proven, and supposedly up to 600 tcf (http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5418530-147/story.csp).

Good stuff.

At 600 tcf, we're right at NO. 5, just behind UAE. And with more discoveries in other areas, we could get up the ladder. That means more gas for exporting, domestic use and industrial purposes.

Very interesting. Its news such as these that really make my day. I'm starting to believe, without a sense of being overtly optimistic, that this decade really belongs to 9ja.

With my company on the horizon and with the right connections, I can be a global player in this nascent industry.

Who knows. . . . . afterall, the world is our playground.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by Onlytruth(m): 8:51am On Apr 25, 2011
Nice!

This is a sign of things to come.

Maybe will find the money to build those new towns as well as redesign and expand the old ones. cool
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by jensinmi(m): 9:30am On Apr 25, 2011
Abagworo:

FG to build petro-chemical plant in Anambra

Federal Government will soon build a huge petro-chemical facility in Anambra State.

Special Adviser to the President on Petroleum Matters, Dr. Emmanuel Egboga, disclosed this after a courtesy call on Governor Peter Obi at the Government House, Awka, last week.  He said he was in Government House to share ideas with Governor Obi whom he described as the best Governor Anambra State has had.

Dr. Egboga said the facility which would be sited at Igbariam area, when completed, would be the biggest gas plant of its kind in Africa with the capacity of creating more than 10,000 employment opportunities for the people and make the state the centre of gas business.

The presidential adviser, who stated that gas exploitation will soon commence in the state, noted that the state, especially the Ugwuoba-Awka area has the biggest gas zone in the country.

He explained that the planned National Gas Pipeline System is connected from the South-East to the North through Calabar, passing through Ajaokuta to Kano on to Sahara and will form part of the Trans-Sahara Gas Pipeline that will take the country  ’s gas to Europe.

According to Egboga, the system is equally connected from South West to the North with a connector from South East to the West. 

He said part of his discussion with the governor was on measure to ensure early exploitation of petroleum products in the state and commended the governor for his remarkable achievements in every sector.

Empty promises to simpletons and the intellectually-challenged.

In all honesty, WTF is "soon"??
Whatever happened to time frames and measurable goals.

Federal Government will build so and so "soon". Who gives a crap about that?? Jesus is coming "soon".  So. . what's the Federal Government's point??

Abeg jor. They should be silent and get to work. Who are they deceiving?? Certainly not critical and enlightened minds like mine.
Is their Petro-chemical plant listed in the capital expenditure of the 2011 budget?? The same budget we don't have enough to finance.

Mr. Special Adviser should know that we are not all simple-minded folks that are easily swayed by lofty promises of petro-chemical plants or airports that won't appear in the 2011, 2012, or even 2013 budgets. NONSENSE!!!
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by OmoTier1(m): 11:56am On Apr 25, 2011
jensinmi:

Federal Government will build so and so "soon". Who gives a crap about that?? Jesus is coming "soon".  So. . what's the Federal Government's point??

Abeg jor. They should be silent and get to work. Who are they deceiving?? Certainly not critical and enlightened minds like mine.
Is their Petro-chemical plant listed in the capital expenditure of the 2011 budget?? The same budget we don't have enough to finance.

Mr. Special Adviser should know that we are not all simple-minded folks that are easily swayed by lofty promises of petro-chemical plants or airports that won't appear in the 2011, 2012, or even 2013 budgets. NONSENSE!!!
thank God we still ve people who reason with thier brains in nigeria! This inept government thinks she can fool all nigerians. We as usual, they know the zones in nigeria where they can buy thier votes based on empty promises!
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:11pm On Apr 25, 2011
jensinmi:

Federal Government will build so and so "soon". Who gives a crap about that?? Jesus is coming "soon".  So. . what's the Federal Government's point??

^^^ My bruh, i couldn't agree with you more. Spot on. Before making all these pronouncements, they need to have done their homework with everything  set in stone, with dates and time-frames known. Afterall, this is Nigeria undecided. This was how they told us work "will soon start on the second Niger bridge". But nothing has been heard on that project for close to a year now.

The only reason i feel things MAY be different this time around is b'cos of the 'Jonathan factor'. If the leadership of this country had been in the hands of a certain visionless and wicked section of the country then it certainly would be a case of nothing-nothing for Ndigbo. It's BLOODY CRIMINAL that the South east is only having an International Airport; a River Port at Onitsha (a city that -if things were fair- would be second only to Lagos as a commercial centre in Nigeria); and moves made to construct a second Niger bridge, 50 years after independence and 40 years after the civil war ( whatever happened to rehabilitation, reconstruction and reintergration? ). One would think it's only in the past year the South east has been part of this country angry. Anyway, God dey.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by NwaNimo1(m): 12:58pm On Apr 25, 2011
Exciting times lay ahead - cheesy
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by texazzpete(m): 1:44pm On Apr 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

Good stuff.

The afren link makes it clear that those figures are thought to be the volumes in place in the Anambra basin. Anambra basin transcends Anambra state.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by dempeople(m): 1:45pm On Apr 25, 2011
Why the barrage of unnecessary pessimistic attitude here concerning this development? @ Omo_Tier1 you should really mind your language or do I sense something more sinister here? Who and who are been fooled? We're all adults here. Just because we decided to have hope doesn't mean we're been fooled. If we all never had any hope towards something or anything in this world then we're as good as non-existent.

The bottom line is this; there has been some kind of geological work already carried out in that area. One day, and I mean within this GEJ government, exploitation of oil and gas around that area would commence. The only roadblock to this project over the years is simply down to political games in Abuja.

We should be more optimistic about life and not always pessimistic by default.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by texazzpete(m): 2:04pm On Apr 25, 2011
dem_people:

Why the barrage of unnecessary pessimistic attitude here concerning this development? @ Omo_Tier1 you should really mind your language or do I sense something more sinister here? Who and who are been fooled? We're all adults here. Just because we decided to have hope doesn't mean we're been fooled. If we all never had any hope towards something or anything in this world then we're as good as non-existent.

The bottom line is this; there has been some kind of geological work already carried out in that area. One day, and I mean within this GEJ government, exploitation of oil and gas around that area would commence. The only roadblock to this project over the years is simply down to political games in Abuja.

We should be more optimistic about life and not always pessimistic by default.  

Any intelligent being must use the past history as a basis for predicting the future. With that in mind, it is difficult to be optimistic about may things in Nigeria these days.

Prof Egbogah was addressing the state Governor, not an almajiri off the streets. At such a meeting, specific details, roadmaps, timelines and plans could have been shared. Talking about 'soon' is not specific or binding enough.
In short, there is little room or reason to be optimistic about this.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by dempeople(m): 2:51pm On Apr 25, 2011
Guy, of course any intelligent being must use the past to predict the future afterall the past is the mother of the present. Please reread both of my posts and point to where I'm expecting a project to magically "spring up" in a day! My point is, I'm not entirely expecting something to start immediately but I'm very optimistic, with the GEJ administration, that something would be done and even soon enough.

I'll give u another example. During GEJ's two visits to Anambra, he talked about the 2nd niger bridge and that plans, including budget allocation for the project etc, have already been prepared while a suitable competent contractor was being sourced. I took all those in my stride knowing how politicians talk. But you know what, I verily know that that bridge will be built albeit the period construction might commence and it will be built during GEJ's tenure.

There're factors that have made me to be optimistic in this administration than any other in Nigeria's history since I became of voting-age. and I'll surely not have minced my words by 2015.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by ektbear: 4:03pm On Apr 25, 2011
texazzpete:

The afren link makes it clear that those figures are thought to be the volumes in place in the Anambra basin. Anambra basin transcends Anambra state.

I see, so the gas figure is the amount for  the Anambra basin, I guess. But the 80 million barrels of oil is in OPL 917 (unless I'm misreading.)

Thanks for the correction.

Here is a picture of the Anambra basin btw, for others (like me) who weren't aware of the difference: http://www.summitoilinternational.com/images/map1.gif
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by PROUDIGBO(m): 4:15pm On Apr 25, 2011
How i wish they'll find oil and gas in commercial quantities in the core/far north. And i hope that'll give them ideas of breaking away to form their own contry. The day the break away happens, trust me the rest of the country will throw the mother of all parties and party like it's 1999.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by texazzpete(m): 4:35pm On Apr 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

I see, so the gas figure is the amount for  the Anambra basin, I guess. But the 80 million barrels of oil is in OPL 917 (unless I'm misreading.)

Thanks for the correction.

Here is a picture of the Anambra basin btw, for others (like me) who weren't aware of the difference: http://www.summitoilinternational.com/images/map1.gif

Thanks for that pic.
No you aren't misreading. OPL 917 is the one supposedly containing 80 million barrels. Keep in mind that 80 million isn't really massive, though. It's decent sha.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by Onlytruth(m): 5:04pm On Apr 25, 2011
hehehe!

Suddenly folks are coming here to throw water on a big deal. Jealousy is powerful. undecided

My question to these so called pessimists is this: Did we know the amount of gas in this basin before now? NO

Unless you have proof that the figures released by current government is exaggerated, then,you are the fools.

Again I see them making the distinction between Anambra basin and Anambra state.
The basin extends beyond the state, but is well within Igboland.FACT.

The last estimate of oil in the basin was 1 billion barrels. So, folks learn to live with it.

The mere fact that the government is even talking about it at all, is a major leap never seen before in Nigeria.

This is just one of such information suppressed for many years, leading to some N.delta group always yapping that Igbo will not share in their oil. Fact is that we won't need to, 'cos we have ours. undecided

Now that the GEJ government has made the promise to make the area the gas capital of Africa, we will hold his feet to fire to fulfill that promise. cool

If he does,we will support him again for second term, .or even a third term. cool cool Nonsense.

@some Igbo here supporting these jealous mor-ons, unu anudikwara ara nne unu? undecided
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by EzeUche3(m): 5:06pm On Apr 25, 2011
Igboland is truly blessed. smiley
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by Onlytruth(m): 5:15pm On Apr 25, 2011
Yea my brother. Igboland is very much blessed.

We have more oil and gas than many countries of the world. cool
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by EzeUche3(m): 5:15pm On Apr 25, 2011
Onlytruth:

Yea my brother. Igboland is very much blessed.

We have more oil and gas than many countries of the world. cool

As well as fertile soil and a highly industrious people. cool
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by Onlytruth(m): 5:19pm On Apr 25, 2011
Personally, I was concerned before the elections that GEJ was not making any promises to Ndigbo,but I kept hearing that he has some big plans for us. Well, time has come for him to share some of those plans and begin work on them (after being sworn in).
Like I said before, if he completes these projects,we well support him again in 2015. Everybody else should wait. cool
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by EzeUche3(m): 5:20pm On Apr 25, 2011
Anambra - Economic Heartbeat of Igboland

Imo - Educational powerhouse

Abia - Industrial/military might

Ebonyi - Breadbasket of Igboland

Enugu - Administrative nerve center

God bless Igboland smiley
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by Onlytruth(m): 5:20pm On Apr 25, 2011
^^
cool cool cool
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by Onlytruth(m): 5:27pm On Apr 25, 2011
The human resources is some of the best in the world too. cool
A God's own land.

For now,we will continue to bless Nigeria with our resources.
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by EzeUche3(m): 5:29pm On Apr 25, 2011
Onlytruth:

The human resources is some of the best in the world too. cool
A God's own land.

For now,we will continue to bless Nigeria with our resources.

But for how long. How long must we see our talented brothers and sisters killed in cold blood for the sake of Nigeria? How long must I ask you? When shall we see the promise land?
Re: Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra by Onlytruth(m): 5:35pm On Apr 25, 2011
^^
The promised land may be around the corner.
I don't see these northerners ever stopping their barbarism. That is the guarantee that Nigeria will split.
2015 may be the year, because the signs are there.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Widows Protesting Non-payment Of Benefits of Late Husbands? / The Achebe I Knew- Mabel Segun (ex-classmate) / Gbenga Obasanjo FB Chat With Gumsu Sani Abacha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.