Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom (661 Views)

We Were Forced To Rig In Favour Of APC - INEC Official / Navy And Soldiers Disrupt Polls In Ikorodu, Mile 12, Others / PDP Winning Polls In Plateau State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom by Bintus2much(m): 11:56am On Apr 25, 2011
Why corps members were forced to rig polls in Akwa Ibom

They are afraid to tell their stories. When they do, they are afraid to be named. That is the terror members of the National Youth Service Corps have been subjected to as electoral officers in Akwa Ibom State.
They say that the election duty they volunteered to perform at the behest of the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Attahiru Jega has been characterised by coercion, false recording and declaration of results, brigandage and bribery.
In Akwa Ibom, this has been skewed in favour of the party in power in both the House of Representatives election and the presidential election.
One of the youth corpers (name withheld), said he was ordered by a party leader in a local government to help him deliver the state for the PDP candidate.
“He called me aside and said he has to deliver his village,” recalled the corps member. Not long after he sent a young man to him whom the Corp member identified as a party thug. He said the party agents and the security personnel including police and soldiers had been “taken care of.”
All he had to do was cooperate.
He said although about 60 voters had appeared at the polling station, he was instructed that about 300 names in the voter register were not real. A number of them came from Port Harcourt.
He was also handed ballot papers for 275 people, thumb-printed and ready for endorsement.
The supervising presiding officer was in the picture, and the Corp member was asked to sign the EC8 form. He wanted to resist until soldiers, party members, police and thugs appeared and ordered him to sign.
“I consented. I was afraid. The thugs were smelling of marijuana,” he said.
A party agent from one of the opposition party wanted to resist but at the sign of the soldiers, he fled for his life.
“I think he was a pastor,” he called. He said it was raining that day, but he was so scared that “I was sweating.”
Envelopes were handed out to all the workers.
In another case, the Corp members said they were not even allowed to move to the polling station. They picked them to a building, and when they reached there, they wondered what it was.
But the corpers could not question the soldiers much.
“They said we should cooperate,” they narrated.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php?news=3923
Re: How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom by karlmax2: 12:07pm On Apr 25, 2011
Take ur case to court and stop the stupid lies that was also what the acn
Did in lagos I have sent my picture and audio recording of their agents and Collaborators
Re: How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom by tolu001: 12:34pm On Apr 25, 2011
Why contradicting yourself when you were a living witness to the role of the ACN? why calling another report a lie when the table turns to the PDP. I quess your paymasters are from the PDP.
Re: How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom by Pukkah: 1:38pm On Apr 25, 2011
Nigerian politicians and this nonsense of 'I have to DELIVER my zone'. It puts them under enormous pressure and is a precursor to rigging.
Re: How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom by baslone: 3:23pm On Apr 25, 2011
Oh I thought the CPC S/E said it was free and fair!
Re: How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 4:18pm On Apr 25, 2011
Where are those who now claim that the SS/SE elections were not rigged?

60 votes->300. A factor of 5 times turnout inflation.

Now who wants to be bragging again about the high voter turnout in the SS and SE zones?
Re: How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom by edoyad(m): 4:27pm On Apr 25, 2011
I no understand this election thing again o, didn't they claim it was one of our best elections ever ? Na wa o, so all those corps members died for nothing, i hope this thing is not true.
Re: How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 4:32pm On Apr 25, 2011
^-- For all we know, the corps members were forced to rig for the PDP in the north too. If so. . .
Re: How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom by edoyad(m): 4:42pm On Apr 25, 2011
It'd be a shame. Well like i said, i hope it's untrue.
Re: How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom by Bintus2much(m): 4:53pm On Apr 25, 2011
edoyad:

It'd be a shame. Well like i said, i hope it's untrue.

What makes you think it is untrue? My brother, they will do same in the governorship elections. Nigeria has Nation has a long long way to go.
Re: How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom by JomoGbomo2(m): 5:06pm On Apr 25, 2011
I think this is what happened all across the nation, where the number of votes declared were totally doctored either by consent or coercion by the NYSC and other INEC officials, I hope they will be bold enough to say what they went through.

We need a total reform in our electoral process that will give no room for result manipulations, we must start using technological backings to achieve this.

The simple question is who will enact of pass the bill, the same set of crooks that will use the rigging to get to their political office. I don't think a thief will pass a law that will put him in jail. We will just be going round and round.

We really need to break away from tis trend. I just do not know how yet.
Re: How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 5:12pm On Apr 25, 2011
In theory, it should be simple. As soon as a polling center is finished and counted, the results are uploaded online. Everyone should be able to see this happen. Before the people leave the booth, they should be able to go online (e.g., on their cell phone) and see that the results that were counted in front of them are the same as the one showing up online.

That would solve 90% of the problems, I think. It is the different collation steps (ward, LGA and state, I guess) where fraud and wuruwuru happened.

There are 120,000 different polling centers. What is so hard about updating each once the votes are finished?
Re: How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom by wesley80(m): 5:22pm On Apr 25, 2011
Crappy tale. Ever heard of a politician taking care of soldiers, and agents but ignoring those at the top of the 'food chain'(corp members)? I have friends in the corp that told me how they were 'handsomely appreciated' by party members in the West for overseeing a successful election during the last two elections how much more for those that had to manipulate an entire process!
Its one of two things, either the corp members arent telling the whole truth or this is a fabricated story from an opposition already certain of losing an election and getting ready to shout itself hoarse about rigging ala CPC. So take your pick.

(1) (Reply)

Libyan Invasion: War On African Empowerment? / Japan Pm Declines Pay Until Nuclear Crisis Ends;where Our Leaders Dey? / CPC Accuses President Jonathan Of Playing Politics With The Inauguration Of Panel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.