Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,935 members, 7,835,118 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

UNIFICATION DECREE:DECREE 34, Was It Repealed By Agunyi Ironsi? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UNIFICATION DECREE:DECREE 34, Was It Repealed By Agunyi Ironsi? (513 Views)

The Cybercrimes Act 2015 Has Been Repealed & Replaced - Inibehe Effiong / Why Did Igbos Not Resist Ironsi's Decree 34 ? / Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNIFICATION DECREE:DECREE 34, Was It Repealed By Agunyi Ironsi? by donnyflex01(m): 4:35pm On May 05, 2021
Dear Historians,

I understand that the unification decree made by aguyi ironsi was repealed by the next head of State General Yakubu Gowon through Decree 9,
but I learned a large portion of the Decree is still effective till today. does anybody know the parts that still remained and the parts that were repealed? thank you
Re: UNIFICATION DECREE:DECREE 34, Was It Repealed By Agunyi Ironsi? by budaatum: 5:07pm On May 05, 2021
What exactly is the details of Decree 9?

The Unification Decree: No. 34 of 1966 creating 4 regions.

Gowon's broadcast to the nation - May 27, 1967 creating 12 States
Re: UNIFICATION DECREE:DECREE 34, Was It Repealed By Agunyi Ironsi? by gidgiddy: 5:22pm On May 05, 2021
donnyflex01:
Dear Historians,

I understand that the unification decree made by aguyi ironsi was repealed by the next head of State General Yakubu Gowon through Decree 9,
but I learned a large portion of the Decree is still effective till today. does anybody know the parts that still remained and the parts that were repealed? thank you

The question is irrelevant because Gowon was to enact Decree 14 of 1967 which was a thousand times worse than Ironsi's Decree 34.

Gowons Decree 14 abolished all 4 Regions, created 12 states, cancelled resource control and reversed fiscal responsibility.

The Nigeria we have today is a basically a product of Gowon's Decree 14 because despite Ironsi's Decree 34, at least Nigeria still had the 4 Regions of the time, and the Regions had resource control and practiced fiscal federalism.

1 Like

Re: UNIFICATION DECREE:DECREE 34, Was It Repealed By Agunyi Ironsi? by donnyflex01(m): 5:47pm On May 05, 2021
gidgiddy:

The question is irrelevant because Gowon was to enact Decree 14 of 1967 which was a thousand times worse than Ironsi's Decree 34.

Gowons Decree 14 abolished all 4 Regions, created 12 states, cancelled resource control and reversed fiscal responsibility.

The Nigeria we have today is a basically a product of Gowon's Decree 14 because despite Ironsi's Decree 34, at least Nigeria still had the 4 Regions of the time, and the Regions had resource control and practiced fiscal federalism.

i understand that but was control not delegated to the military governors from the center, doesnt this indicate that their power to make regulations regarding resource and fiscal control subject to authority of the head of the national military government

1 Like

Re: UNIFICATION DECREE:DECREE 34, Was It Repealed By Agunyi Ironsi? by donnyflex01(m): 5:49pm On May 05, 2021
budaatum:
What exactly is the details of Decree 9?

The Unification Decree: No. 34 of 1966 creating 4 regions.

Gowon's broadcast to the nation - May 27, 1967 creating 12 States

i cant seem to find this particular decree anywhere on the internet, only information i have is that i repealed the unification decree

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNIFICATION DECREE:DECREE 34, Was It Repealed By Agunyi Ironsi? by budaatum: 5:55pm On May 05, 2021
donnyflex01:

i cant seem to find this particular decree anywhere on the internet, only information i have is that i repealed the unification decree

Neither could I find a decree 9. Regardless, a Gowon decree would annul an Ironsi decree if they conflict just as the creation of 12 states annulled Ironsi's 4 regions.
Re: UNIFICATION DECREE:DECREE 34, Was It Repealed By Agunyi Ironsi? by gidgiddy: 6:55pm On May 05, 2021
donnyflex01:

i understand that but was control not delegated to the military governors from the center, doesnt this indicate that their power to make regulations regarding resource and fiscal control subject to authority of the head of the national military government

Of course Ironsi could have used decree to change resource control like Gowon later did, but Ironsi did not. What is important to note is that the 4 Regions Ironsi met when he came in were still there when he died

Also is the fact that Ironsi did not tamper with the revenue sharing formular and fiscal arrangements agreed at independence

A lot of people like to trumpet "unification deceee" but the only thing the decree unified was the civil service
Re: UNIFICATION DECREE:DECREE 34, Was It Repealed By Agunyi Ironsi? by Uchek(m): 6:51am On Feb 19
Gbam!

gidgiddy:

Of course Ironsi could have used decree to change resource control like Gowon later did, but Ironsi did not. What is important to note is that the 4 Regions Ironsi met when he came in were still there when he died

Also is the fact that Ironsi did not tamper with the revenue sharing formular and fiscal arrangements agreed at independence

A lot of people like to trumpet "unification deceee" but the only thing the decree unified was the civil service

(1) (Reply)

Oshodi LG Chairman Assures Residents Of Safety Following MC Oluomo’s Threat / Ban On Open Grazing Stays, Go To Court, Southern Govs Tell Malami / Why The East Should Watch Their Steps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.