Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,046 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number (10479 Views)

NIN Issues: I Never Registered For NIN.. How Do I Verify The NIN from *346#? / Troubles That Relate With Crime-Cases And Recycled Numbers. / Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by nagelaw: 10:14pm On May 06, 2021
I registered for my NIN in 2014 and ended up leaving the country but I still know what the NIN is. The phone number I registered with was recycled and now belongs to someone else. How do I unlink my NIN from this person? If I get a new number and link my NIN using *785*NIN#, does it remove it from the recycled number?

What damage can the person with the recycled number do? Can they apply for a passport with my NIN, access my bank details, etc? They probably think my NIN is theirs.
Re: Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by Bossman(m): 10:23pm On May 06, 2021
Once a phone number is recycled, any NIN linked to it is supposed to be deleted as well. At least that's the way any reasonable and well written software should work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by abcee(m): 10:37pm On May 06, 2021
gon gon who remember that sound. the movie is about to start
Re: Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by nagelaw: 11:06pm On May 06, 2021
Bossman:
Once a phone number is recycled, any NIN linked to it is supposed to be deleted as well. At least that's the way any reasonable and well written software should work.

You would think so but apparently not! I just used the NIMC app to try and get the e-ID slip. It told me that my old number was still linked. I called the number, some guy picked up lmao. It’s a complete and utter mess. Do you know anything about unlinking a number. There are so many articles about adding numbers but nothing about removing them. Do they just assume that Nigerians will have the same numbers for their entire lifetimes?

1 Like

Re: Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by STEWpid(f): 11:10pm On May 06, 2021
Change and problem are hand-in-hand.

Change brings problem,
And because of problem, we bring change, which creates another problem that needs change.

1 Like

Re: Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by yanabasee1(m): 11:16pm On May 06, 2021
Wahala...

Nigeria will want to to feel fly by Introducing something that they can't give it a maximum study and also work on its complains...

Country never mumu like naiaja

2 Likes

Re: Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by nagelaw: 10:34am On May 07, 2021
Looks like no one here knows what to do unfortunately
Re: Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 07, 2021
nagelaw:
Looks like no one here knows what to do unfortunately

Contact the NIMC agency via Twitter, or email.
Re: Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by Bossman(m): 2:45pm On May 07, 2021
I think some clarification is needed - If you are talking of unlinking an NIN you associated with your mobile number at the telco level, then once the number is recycled, any NIN associated with it should be deleted. If you are talking about unlinking/changing the phone number you have on your NIN information with NIMC, then you have to do that manually by requesting to change it at the NIMC office. This is called an NIMC modification.

https://nimc.gov.ng/modifications-adults/
Re: Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by nagelaw: 6:16pm On May 07, 2021
Bossman:
I think some clarification is needed - If you are talking of unlinking an NIN you associated with your mobile number at the telco level, then once the number is recycled, any NIN associated with it should be deleted. If you are talking about unlinking/changing the phone number you have on your NIN information with NIMC, then you have to do that manually by requesting to change it at the NIMC office. This is called an NIMC modification.

https://nimc.gov.ng/modifications-adults/

Thanks, I mean the one on the NIN information. But a police report just to change a number? That’s really something though. What about if you don’t have the slip but know your NIN? I never received a slip in 2014, I got an sms with the number.
Re: Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by Nobody: 10:58pm On May 07, 2021
Contact Isa pantami on twitter.That minister of communication and terrorists.
Re: Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by Bossman(m): 6:10am On May 08, 2021
Yeah! That tells you that it's a complete mess and Nigeria is a joke! If they are asking for a police report just to update the phone number on NIN. However, I believe you can walk into the NIMC office and still get it done without a police report. It's really ridiculous! This is stuff that should be available online via self-service.

nagelaw:

Thanks, I mean the one on the NIN information. But a police report just to change a number? That’s really something though. What about if you don’t have the slip but know your NIN? I never received a slip in 2014, I got an sms with the number.

2 Likes

Re: Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by nagelaw: 12:48pm On May 08, 2021
Bossman:
Yeah! That tells you that it's a complete mess and Nigeria is a joke! If they are asking for a police report just to update the phone number on NIN. However, I believe you can walk into the NIMC office and still get it done without a police report. It's really ridiculous! This is stuff that should be available online via self-service.

Thank you. I will try dropping by NIMC next time I am around and I will try to keep the new phone number active. It’s just such a stressful process if you are no longer even based in the country. If they insist on the bureaucracy and police report, I will leave them and their NIN alone lmao. I see this whole thing imploding within a decade anyway.
Re: Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number by muzzafar(m): 4:09pm On Mar 31, 2023
did u succeed ? I am facing a similar problem

(1) (Reply)

Gionee rolls out Marshmallow Update for Gionee m5mini / I'm Afraid I May Have Bought The Fake Infinix Note 2 Lte / My Review Of The Tecno Phantom 6+ Nougat Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.