Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

Please Help Before My Friend - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Please Help Before My Friend (24734 Views)

My Friend Paid N400k To Secure A Job That Pays N50k Monthly / Pls I Need Help Before I Run Mad! (BSc Philosophy) / My Friend's Interview Experience With A Company In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Before My Friend by NazareneMonk: 5:27pm On May 21, 2021
This story might be a little lengthy. My friend graduated from school and unfortunately for him just like many graduates, he could not get a job.

He later met a woman who helped him secure a loan from her meeting and he used this loan to secure a shop in front of his house where he will be using as a bar, to save up money to setup his own fish farm which was his major area of specialization as a graduate of Agric.

In all of this,my friend did not see the future as his business barely started when the nation wide lockdown was declared with gatherings restricted.

Sales was no more coming, a loan had to be paid, and in the whole of this,several government officials came under different umbrellas and ministries to collect tax. Right after this,the ENDSARS protest started and things went from bad to worst due to the post-protest anarchy as his store had a fair share of the looting.

My friend is not easily broken,he was determined and so he sold his only working fridge to restock what he lost and had to get a cooler where he buys ice blocks daily to cool his drinks.

In all of this,the huge taxes keeps coming,he always explained to them how sales are and in some case he is asked to pay their transport back,depending on the ministry that came.

To cut the story short,his shop was locked up yesterday for a tax worth 200k+ by the board of internal revenue, he went to their office for rectification but the lady there told him to deposit 100k first before they can talk.

My friend felt like collapsing because a few weeks ago he deposited 3k into that account and they mocked him saying the money is too small not considering if he makes sales that much.

The problem now is my friends landlord told him to quit the shop and house and he is planning to close the business but does not know what to do.

Any idea will be appreciated.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by FarahAideed: 5:31pm On May 21, 2021
Any tax not based on your profit is not a tax but extortion ...How did they arrive at 200k ? What state is this ?

236 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by NazareneMonk: 5:32pm On May 21, 2021
lalasticlala, seun, mynd44, Dominique please I will appreciate if you can push this to front page so we can get advice from lawyers in the house.

The incident happened in Edo state, I have some images of the tax Slip and the shop. To make matters worse his house and shop are kinda together which makes him somehow homeless.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 21, 2021
Businesses persons should always form a habit of checking their business feasibility on a 3/6 month basis.. it would guide you on if to forge ahead, re-capitalize or abandon while having some tangible left overs to pick yourself up... a lot whom touched the ground on being excessively optimistic, never left the ground.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by NazareneMonk: 5:42pm On May 21, 2021
FarahAideed:
Any tax not based on your profit is not a tax but extortion ...How did they arrive at 200k ? What state is this ?
They said its consumer tax, 5% of his sales that's an average of about 30k monthly during that lockdown period. My guy nor even dey make that much sales Monthly not to talk of having that as 5%. Mind you,that's not the only group that has come to tax him on consumption. Another group came two weeks ago saying they are in charge of tax on beer and spirit (This group have visited twice and he had to beg them with tokens.)

I dey feel for the guy sha, I will do my best and make this go viral. This is oppression,police even come join dey shine eyes for am.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by budaatum: 5:42pm On May 21, 2021
Op, thanks for posting. Many would likely confess that this illegal tax collection is a great killer of a lot of Nigerian businesses and ought to provoke our collective ire.

pyyxxaro:
Pls Permit to blame Buhari and Desmond Elliot for this
I said Please oh undecided

Permission denied! angry Last time I checked neither Buhari nor Desmond Eliot was the governor or person collecting tax in Edo State!

26 Likes

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by Barbiturate(m): 5:46pm On May 21, 2021
You didn't come out right.
Why does the landlord want him to quit the shop? Is he owing? Has his rent expired and he's unable to pay?

He should forget about paying any tax for now and resolve with landlord first

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by Kcwise199: 5:46pm On May 21, 2021
This is pathetic. I am still wondering what kind of taxes will amount to 200k in a 2*2 shop?. How much is the shop wey him go pay 200k for tax. How much is he making. Is this personal Income tax or people trying to prey on his ignorance. ? He should wise up , them dey use am catch cruise oooo

35 Likes

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by nairalander2020(m): 5:47pm On May 21, 2021
Abeg this Nigeria self make them just rack this country abeg.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by NazareneMonk: 5:54pm On May 21, 2021
Barbiturate:
You didn't come out right.
Why does the landlord want him to quit the shop? Is he owing? Has his rent expired and he's unable to pay?

He should forget about paying any tax for now and resolve with landlord first
he is not owing,due to the stuffs I told you he could not meetup the normal 6mpnths payment, so he paid what he could afford which was 3months,half of his usual rent and it expires next Month. He is not willing to continue,the multiple taxes frustrated him already and all he needs now is how to get his stuffs out in one piece. But the revenue board have threatened to jail him if he sets foot on that shop.
Re: Please Help Before My Friend by sophxx: 6:00pm On May 21, 2021
Esseite:
Businesses persons should always form a habit of checking their business feasibility on a 3/6 month basis.. it would guide you on if to forge ahead, re-capitalize or abandon while having some tangible left overs to pick yourself up... a lot whom touched the ground on being optimistic, never left the ground.

That has bn my fear. I'm like totally grounded right. Didn't get grounded cuz i was optimistic though. Thanks to my stupidity, foolishness and then village people.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by ygowon: 6:06pm On May 21, 2021
NazareneMonk:

he is not owing,due to the stuffs I told you he could not meetup the normal 6mpnths payment, so he paid what he could afford which was 3months,half of his usual rent and it expires next Month. He is not willing to continue,the multiple taxes frustrated him already and all he needs now is how to get his stuffs out in one piece. But the revenue board have threatened to jail him if he sets foot on that shop.
Are you sure some neighbors who is aware of his ignorance are not working with those tax collectors abi thiefs?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by Barbiturate(m): 6:14pm On May 21, 2021
NazareneMonk:

So he can't go to his shop in the night and pack his things? Do the tax people stay in front of his shop 24/7?

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:17pm On May 21, 2021
Esseite:
Businesses persons should always form a habit of checking their business feasibility on a 3/6 month basis.. it would guide you on if to forge ahead, re-capitalize or abandon while having some tangible left overs to pick yourself up... a lot whom touched the ground on being excessively optimistic, never left the ground.

They will say never give up lol.
Re: Please Help Before My Friend by money121(m): 9:22pm On May 21, 2021
Ok
Re: Please Help Before My Friend by slawormiir: 9:23pm On May 21, 2021
Dmnnnnnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Re: Please Help Before My Friend by Goldenheart(m): 9:23pm On May 21, 2021
People are really going through alot, I feel for your friend, I hope he gets by

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by Revere27: 9:23pm On May 21, 2021
Where he made mistake is that he should have consulted people about this business before starting it.

Not to late he should check from those in that line of business and ask them how they do it because most of them naa extortion be their main motive.

Just like when I was working then as a teacher, different people would be coming every week to collect tax my boss go dey tell them say the boss is not around and say they no fit do anything. This country ehn, we just have to be wise.... I hope all goes well with him embarassed

This country ehn.... Someone would be legally hustling and some nonsense tax-force would come and be extorting from the little we have made... This government is not just helping matter.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by blinking001(m): 9:23pm On May 21, 2021
No be village people hand work so?
Re: Please Help Before My Friend by Bahrain: 9:23pm On May 21, 2021
Please help me with accommodation around surulere.
Re: Please Help Before My Friend by princeogbeide1(m): 9:23pm On May 21, 2021
H
Re: Please Help Before My Friend by Triangles1(m): 9:23pm On May 21, 2021
Advice ke, Chief of army staff and his wife just lost their life, no condition is permanent if you're alive , things will go normal if he don't give up.
Re: Please Help Before My Friend by EkwulobiaTV: 9:24pm On May 21, 2021
Too bad. I hope things work out for your friend
Re: Please Help Before My Friend by cybertron88: 9:25pm On May 21, 2021
Where are the entrepreneur crew? Start ur own business, be ur own boss, quit ur 8-5 job. If u follow this ppl mouth u go enter bush. The lifespan of startup in this country is 2yrs I think it should be less than 9months now as the economy is on a downward spin. Naso I invest heavily to setup a pure water factory after all the feasibility studies and revenue projection. My factory didn't even make it past 6 months. From fraudulent Keke boys and staff to extortion from State revenue collection, landlord come add him own join. If not I still had my 8-5 job I no know wetin I for dey do now.
The best business in this country is one that I can do online from the comfort of ur bedroom. Anyone involving a brick and mortar structure needs God's grace to survive.

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by pansophist(m): 9:25pm On May 21, 2021
He should look for any job for now to keep body and soul together. And since you're asking for your friend, what have you done to help him? A temporary accommodation will go along way.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by BruncleZuma: 9:25pm On May 21, 2021
grin grin grin grin
Re: Please Help Before My Friend by UDUJ(m): 9:25pm On May 21, 2021
NazareneMonk:
lalasticlala, seun, mynd44, Dominique please I will appreciate if you can push this to front page so we can get advice from lawyers in the house.

The incident happened in Edo state, I have some images of the tax Slip and the shop. To make matters worse his house and shop are kinda together which makes him somehow homeless.

This is in Benin right? Please post an image of the tax slip or send it to me via email. Let me see what I can do.

The registered business, is it for a bar or a fish farm? Be detailed please.

PS - I just checked your profile and it shows this is a brand new nairaland.com account. I am very careful with new accounts as over 90% are scammers. Please use your old account to show you are genuine. Thanks.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 21, 2021
tax ke.. this my guy no wise...The guy story is so pitiable... how will he pay that lady is the major problem cus we all know women palavar when it comes to money... meh this is the right time God should send him an helper, wherever the helper is

3 Likes

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by superCleanworks(m): 9:26pm On May 21, 2021
Ok
Re: Please Help Before My Friend by adonnaiii: 9:27pm On May 21, 2021
I hope this your friend is not you

5 Likes

Re: Please Help Before My Friend by Funkybabee(f): 9:27pm On May 21, 2021
Orisirisi

Tax of 200k untop of no sales

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Help Am About To Leave My 100,000 Paying Job To Start A Bakery Business / How Do You Respond To This Kind Of Question? / FUOYE Is Calling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.