Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,453 members, 7,861,314 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 09:28 AM

‘Looters List’: Secondus Wins Defamation Case Against FG, Gets N20m Award - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘Looters List’: Secondus Wins Defamation Case Against FG, Gets N20m Award (213 Views)

Looters’ List: Court Orders Lai Mohammed, FG To Pay Secondus ₦20 Million / Abdullahi Babalele Gets N20m Bail / FG Freezes Bank Accounts Of Suspects On ‘looters List’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

‘Looters List’: Secondus Wins Defamation Case Against FG, Gets N20m Award by Doraty1(f): 3:38am On May 22, 2021
https://www.nairaland.com/4426964/fg-releases-names-looters-nigeria#66290735

A Rivers state high court has ordered the federal government and Lai Mohammed, minister of information, to pay N20 million to Uche Secondus, national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), as damages for defamation.

In a judgment delivered on Thursday, A.I. Iyayi-Lamikanra, chief judge of the state, also ordered the defendants to issue a public apology and publish same in a newspaper.

The PDP national chairman had instituted the suit marked PHC/1013/2018, challenging the inclusion of his name on a list of looters published by the federal government in 2018.

He had demanded a retraction of the publication, an apology, and payment of N1.5 billion “being general damages for humiliation, castigation, verification, attack of his person and integrity by the defamatory publication”.

Secondus had earlier, through his lawyer, Emeka Etiaba, written to the minister seeking an immediate retraction of his name and payment of N1.5 billion as damages within 72 hours, failure of which he threatened a lawsuit.

In the suit, he sought an order of the court “directing the defendants to retract the said publication and apologise in writing to the claimant for the defamatory publication”.

“An order of this honourable court directing the defendants to publish the retraction and the written apology in all the news and social media including but not limited to The Nation newspaper , THISDAY newspaper, Sun newspaper, Guardian newspaper, Punch newspaper, Nigerian Television Authority, Channels Television, amongst others, where the defamatory materials were published”, was also sought.

The suit also sought “an order of perpetual injunction restraining the defendants their agents and privies from further publishing the defamatory publication against the claimant”.

The judge agreed that the claimant had a case and gave judgment in his favour.

He also granted an order of injunction restraining the defendants, whether by themselves or their agents, from further publishing defamatory statements against Secondus.
https://www.thecable.ng/looters-list-secondus-wins-defamation-case-against-fg-gets-n20m-award
Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Re: ‘Looters List’: Secondus Wins Defamation Case Against FG, Gets N20m Award by effort1: 3:40am On May 22, 2021
Nice one.
Re: ‘Looters List’: Secondus Wins Defamation Case Against FG, Gets N20m Award by yanabasee1(m): 3:41am On May 22, 2021
Why do politicians go home with much amount of money after winning a case against the FG....While the poor people are sent home from the court without a penny in Nigeria?
Re: ‘Looters List’: Secondus Wins Defamation Case Against FG, Gets N20m Award by Ever8090: 4:15am On May 22, 2021
Everything in Nigeria is for the rich including justice,.someone is owing me over 1 million Naira for over 1 year now but I am afraid to take legal action because he will prefer to use more than that money to bribe his way out instead of paying me my sweat.

In as much as I do not have documented evidence to fight for my sweat, if God truly exist, he will take the case and look into it without evidence, he knows everything including everything I went trough to deliver the job for the man.

We live in a country were the less privilege do not stand a chance against the rich towards glaring injustice, outright evil with impunity against them.
We are meant to bow our heads in shame and tremble with fear even as we receive undeserving punishment for doing nothing wrong against the rich.

Good thing is, after all this, we will one day die and stand before the judge that does not take bribe neither does he have respect for social class, his judgement is pure without blame.

Just look at how a man who have stolen bellions from the country is getting 20 millions as compensation for a sin he actually commited...

This life no balance but e balance, it is only a matter of time, the one who create the life will make it to balance
Re: ‘Looters List’: Secondus Wins Defamation Case Against FG, Gets N20m Award by Mabizeka: 4:24am On May 22, 2021
Buhari should pay the damages asap
Re: ‘Looters List’: Secondus Wins Defamation Case Against FG, Gets N20m Award by Mynd44: 4:44am On May 22, 2021

(1)

You Would Be Fully Radicalized If You Face The Attack Nnamdi Kanu Face - Dele Mo / If Northerners Is To Be Sincere They Agree To Be Problem Of Nigeria / Why EFCC Is Yet To Dispose Off Madueke’s N14bn Jewellery, $80m House – Bawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.