Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,114 members, 7,957,166 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 08:22 AM

Should Paying Bride Price Stop - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Paying Bride Price Stop (1456 Views)

When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Paying Bride Price Stop by Nobody: 8:35pm On Apr 30, 2011
the first time this question was asked i was not in support of it
but today i am begging to see things differently

men are beginning to see it as they are buying the woman
last night, i was listening to a programme on radio, and a lady said that
her would be husband told her that he has to test what he is going to buy

as a man myself i do not feel comfortable with that statement.
if i were a lady i would quit the relationship.
i do not know what you think.
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by lepasharon(f): 9:15pm On Apr 30, 2011
yes it shud stop because igbo woman r nt gettin husband
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by InkedNerd(f): 9:22pm On Apr 30, 2011
souldust:

the first time this question was asked i was not in support of it
but today i am begging to see things differently

men are beginning to see it as they are buying the woman
last night, i was listening to a programme on radio, and a lady said that
her would be husband told her that he has to test what he is going to buy

as a man myself i do not feel comfortable with that statement.
if i were a lady i would quit the relationship.
i do not know what you think.

I've never liked the idea of having a bride price or dowry no matter what culture we're talking about. And yes, you're right, a lot of me do think that they own these women because they paid a bride pride, culturally, it seems like some men have gone astray from the original "purpose" of having a bride price. I know this isn't a great example or reference, but I've seen some Nigerian movies where some of the men say such things. In come countries, families are using this bride price as a means of auctioning off their daughters to the highest bidder and be doing so, it reinforces the idea that women are nothing more than property.
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by african1(f): 9:40pm On Apr 30, 2011
Psshhh No I want a deposit in case he leaves me later. tongue
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by InkedNerd(f): 1:21am On May 01, 2011
^^^ Perhaps you should keep a receipt for tax purposes as well
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by african1(f): 2:10am On May 01, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

^^^ Perhaps you should keep a receipt for tax purposes as well

Damn right! at least then he won't leave me empty handed.
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by ChinenyeN(m): 4:38am On May 01, 2011
Commot for hia wit dis topic. .
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by InkedNerd(f): 4:58pm On May 01, 2011
african1:

Damn right! at least then he won't leave me empty handed.

Na wa o!!! So you don be tax refund eh? undecided
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by african1(f): 8:15pm On May 01, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Na wa o!!! So you don be tax refund eh? undecided

Lol I keep replying to you, but I have no idea what we are talking about.
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by sexylogan(m): 9:56pm On May 01, 2011
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by InkedNerd(f): 6:59am On May 03, 2011
african1:

Lol I keep replying to you, but I have no idea what we are talking about.

lol smh grin
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by llemisy(f): 1:07pm On May 03, 2011
is a tradition it cant stop nd mind yu bride price is just to show ao committed yur family is nd in yoruba land is nt much even dey return it after payin bt in case of ibo nd hausa i dnt kno,,
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by InkedNerd(f): 5:15pm On May 03, 2011
llemisy:

is a tradition it cant stop nd mind yu bride price is just to show ao committed yur family is nd in yoruba land is nt much even dey return it after payin bt in case of ibo nd hausa i dnt kno,,

What do you mean it can't stop? Have other "traditions" not been put to an end? What makes this any different?
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by llemisy(f): 3:28am On May 04, 2011
@inked paying a bride price is nt mandatory, there many marriage without traditional marriage nd no bride price payed mind yu as far as u agree on engagement or traditional marriage in yoruba land yu we pay it,,,,
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by InkedNerd(f): 6:31am On May 04, 2011
llemisy:

@inked paying a bride price is nt mandatory, there many marriage without traditional marriage nd no bride price payed mind  yu as far as u agree on engagement or traditional marriage in yoruba land yu we pay it,,,,

I know its not mandatory I was only asking because of the way you responded as though there was some other reason for saying it shouldn't stop.
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by blacklion(m): 9:19pm On May 04, 2011
Brideprice is just a token sum; in most parts of Anambra and Enugu states, it no more than N4-5k for a university graduate. The real killer is the costs of the various stages of traditional marriage which can be very substantial depending on your taste and financial ability. If you marry a sensible girl from a reasonable family, they would not demand that much from you but only ask the basics - after all they too want their sister to marry and leave her father's house!

Things are even good these days. Nowadays, Igbo traditional marriage in most communities comprises just 3 stages - introduction (iku aka nu uzo/knocking on the door), payment of brideprice (i'me ego nwanyi) and then wine-carrying (igba nkwu nwanyi). In my area, until the early 1990s, it used to consist of up to 7 stages lasting over 2-3 years. By the time, it was over, the suitor would be almost bankrupt. I was told that in the 1950s, it took almost 10 years to complete the wedding ceremonies and some men never even completed until the woman died after living with him for decades and bearing children etc.

The thing is that Igbo families do not traditionally or generally believe in assisting a young man to marry; their thinking is that a young man who cannot afford to foot the wedding costs by himself is not yet able to provide for a family. So he should wait until he is capable even if that means marrying in his 40s.
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by InkedNerd(f): 8:16am On May 05, 2011
^^^ Interesting info. Thanks for sharing smiley
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by bashr4: 10:38pm On May 07, 2011
lepasharon:

yes it shud stop because igbo woman r nt gettin husband

shut up your stinking mouth,bride price in igboland is less than five thousand naira, if you cant afford five thousand naira then you shouldnt be talking about marriage.
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by Nobody: 8:57pm On May 15, 2011
african1:

Psshhh No I want a deposit in case he leaves me later. tongue

hehe
Re: Should Paying Bride Price Stop by Egbagirl(f): 4:41am On May 16, 2011
I dont think that paying bride price should stop just because some men think that they are buying their wives. It is the mentality of these men that needs to change. Maybe they need to be more educated on this aspect of their culture. I guess society is lacking in preserving our culture and teaching it properly to the younger generations.

I definitely want my husband to pay my bride price not that he is buying me in the literal sense of it. Its more like giving the girls parents a token of appreciation for taking care of her until that point where he takes her away from him.

(1) (Reply)

Drop Your Gbudugbudu And Surugede Proverbs Here!!! / What Igbo History Book Is The Closest To Igbo's Oral History? / Igbo Alphabet And Culture.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.