Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,244 members, 7,825,938 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees (15773 Views)

Kaduna State University Students Protest Hike In Tuition At Government House / 30% Reduction In Tuition Fees: Relief For Rufus Giwa Polytechnic Students / Tuition Fees For New (100L) Covenant University Students 2017/2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by joyandfaith: 7:23am On Jun 02, 2021
nuamike:
For a university that lacks fund and can barely on its own pay salary. That was how Rochas bankrupted his state. Rather than providing a sustainable means for the citizens of the state to live up to their bills and inturn improve the economy of the state, he settles for this. The most painful part is how we all view it as a development. We need to start thinking about how to get things to work not how things can work for us, we are yet to get to that state of development. Lautech right now is a mess that needs funds. We need to stop seeing governance as charity honestly. Buhari came in with promises that made APC look like a charity organisation, we can see how well it has worked. The government see us as charity, that's why they can steal knowing fully well that when we roar, a peanut is enough to put us to climax.
Try to get the whole picture, there are a lot of leakage in the university. With reduction, university would still be making over 3Billion from school fees alone. Government still send subventions to the university monthly.
University wage bill is about 350M monthly.
Last year he asked 5000 teachers to be employed. From my investigations, he just replaced ghost workers with real workers at no extra cost to the government.

4 Likes

Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Jinducleaner(f): 7:25am On Jun 02, 2021
Nice one, we shouldn’t be making life hard for our fellow humans.
We are all in for the struggle.

1 Like

Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by emerged01(m): 7:26am On Jun 02, 2021
I don’t know why it is difficult for us to do the right thing in this country.
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by rollandben(m): 7:32am On Jun 02, 2021
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Angrygoat: 7:39am On Jun 02, 2021
Lautech. Grooming ground for upcoming yahoo itunes card and olosho hookup scam yahoo boys. Dont forget the West can't do without ogume

Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Kennytorio1: 7:49am On Jun 02, 2021
Whao a great news.. during my time in the school there was nothing like that moreover there is peace now unlike during alao akala regime
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by yusluvad(m): 8:03am On Jun 02, 2021
Good one from Mr. Governor...
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Ladiesdoctor(m): 8:04am On Jun 02, 2021
And one emperor of Kaduna has increased it to 500k.

The emperor that has door openings PAs

1 Like

Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Dixspencer: 8:57am On Jun 02, 2021
That's a people sensitive Governor. He has a great agenda and we are proud of him.
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Xscape1993(m): 9:00am On Jun 02, 2021
God bless my G.S.M. More grace sir.
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by bhella10: 9:02am On Jun 02, 2021
joyandfaith:

Previously 140k and 170k for indigenes and non-indigenes respectively. Do the math.
I suck at math please do me the favour
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Xscape1993(m): 9:06am On Jun 02, 2021
God bless you my G.S.M. More grace sir.
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 02, 2021
SOPoftoday:
A very great news!
The fixing of that school would have great impact on youths in SW region! That used to be the hub of tech wizards.. Let the glory be restored

Tech wizard...lol. cheesy cheesy

You mean the HQ of yahoo boys in Nigeria?
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by pfadom: 9:37am On Jun 02, 2021
Why is this Makinde playing politics with LAUTECH destiny? The labs are practically empty, the varsity is grossly understaffed (forget the accreditation results - they play games to pass), no infrastructure on ground. All the government does is payment of salaries.

Why slash tuition fees when the minimum wage is not implemented?
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Nobody: 9:48am On Jun 02, 2021
SmartPolician:

You people praise a governor for slashing the tuition of a university. How funny! Tomorrow, someone is worried that Nigeria produces unemployable graduates. In fact, our polticians know what we want and are giving it to us just to win the next election.

Someone needs to tell Nigerians that varsity education is not cheap anywhere in the world, so it's not for everyone. If you need the best, you have to be ready to pay for it. That's a common rule of quality. That's why in serious countries most people don't go beyond secondary school. In secondary school, people already know what they are good at and graduate from school to practice it.

But in Nigeria, everyone wants to attend a high institution. I don't know where that mentality came from. Funnily enough, most of us cannot even afford it. Nigeria really needs to return to technical education for improved employability among school leavers. It's not about quantity but about quality.

You are totally wrong.

First, everyone should be able to aspire to anything they want to be in life and the high cost of education shouldn't be a determining factor.

Such elitist thinking like yours isn't the Hallmark of a civilized society.

The same excuse that subsidized education means substandard education doesn't make any sense to me.

You'd have to ask yourself, why is it then that Nigerian doctors and nurses are in high demand outside of Nigeria?

Most of them had their education highly subsidized in case you'd like to know.

In fact, if you've attended a federal or state institution, then know that your education was subsidized.

Does subsidized education mean substandard education? NO!

During chief Obafemi Awolowo's blessed reign, education was FREE and the standard was superb.

The fall in standard today is a pointer to the general malaise of the nation itself and not as a result of subsidy on education.

If engr Seyi Makinde has given the students a percentage cut in their tuition fees, then I believe he has the cold hard fact that that can be done without hurting the finances of the state.

The man has been cool headed so far, so I believe he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

2 Likes

Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by woleabayo(f): 9:49am On Jun 02, 2021
GSM ma ba ise relo
GSM ma ba ise relo
GSM ma ba ise relo......
Igba re ma dawa lorun
GSM ma ba ise relo
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by gbengaadeleye12: 9:55am On Jun 02, 2021
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Pat081: 10:04am On Jun 02, 2021
Nice one but hope the 2nd team will not be like that short devil In the northern part of Nigeria
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Pat081: 10:08am On Jun 02, 2021
Nice one but hope the 2nd team will not be like that short devil In the northern part of Nigeria and ex governor of osun State do the same and they all pay back in his 2nd term in office
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by SmartPolician: 10:14am On Jun 02, 2021
FrLukas:

You are totally wrong.

First, everyone should be able to aspire to anything they want to be in life and the high cost of education shouldn't be a determining factor.

Such elitist thinking like yours isn't the Hallmark of a civilized society.

The same excuse that subsidized education means substandard education doesn't make any sense to me.

You'd have to ask yourself, why is it then that Nigerian doctors and nurses are in high demand outside of Nigeria?

Most of them had their education highly subsidized in case you'd like to know.

In fact, if you've attended a federal or state institution, then know that your education was subsidized.

Does subsidized education mean substandard education? NO!

During chief Obafemi Awolowo's blessed reign, education was FREE and the standard was superb.

The fall in standard today is a pointer to the general malaise of the nation itself and not as a result of subsidy on education.

If engr Seyi Makinde has given the students a percentage cut in their tuition fees, then I believe he has the cold hard fact that that can be done without hurting the finances of the state.

The man has been cool headed so far, so I believe he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Veryyyyyyyy funny!

Is Oyo State one of the states that cannot survive without handouts from Abuja? Your guess is as good as mine.

Plus, the population of Nigeria when Awolowo gave free education was about 45 million. As a result, it was not a financial burden for the people from the South West region. Today, check the population of population of Nigeria.

It's over 200 million people. Just so you know, people who bear Yoruba names are likely to claim to come from Oyo State just to benefit from the largesse. This means that the school will probably be shouldering the educational burden of educating the entire region.

As for Nigerian medical practitioners who get jobs overseas, nobody gives them jobs without them doing series of exams and undergoing rigorous training programs. In fact, the United States only recognizes few certificates from a few universities around the world.

Aside from those renowned institutions, you will have to return to their classrooms for further training before your certificates are recognized. Don't cite the case of Covid-19 because it was unprecedented as they were responding to a pandemic.

Look where proper management and funding have landed the Covenant University of yesterday. Yes, it has toppled many of the subsidized universities that have existed from time immemorial. Public shools that should be light-years ahead of the relatively new Covenant University are now coming after it in many rankings.

What I stated there is no elitist; those are facts. You need money to run schools...little wonder Nigeria keeps churning out unemployable graduates. When it comes to critical research and development, you don't get to see Nigerian schools. How about top-rated school rankings? They are nowhere to be found.

Once again, quality university education is not cheap anywhere in the world; this is not elitist. This is a fact. I rest my case.
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Solsix(m): 10:47am On Jun 02, 2021
iluvdonjazzy:
This is what we called good leadership. Congratulations Oyo.
Some people will say PDP never again
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Jaydot01: 10:59am On Jun 02, 2021
bhella10:
grin Abi it's fake news ni? In Nigeria!? This is a first if indeed it's true. Reduce school fees ke?! But wait how much was their average fees let's do the maths
it's 140k for indigene and 170k for non-indigene
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Nobody: 11:58am On Jun 02, 2021
Kudos to Mr. Governor
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by abidem4real: 12:20pm On Jun 02, 2021
Insidenaija:

https://newspremises.com.ng/lautech-makinde-approves-25-percent-reduction-in-tuition-fees/
Majority of Nigerian governors are always like that in their first tenures of office. I just pray Makinde breaks the jinx of second term nonsensical nonsense
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by Lordbinsmar: 2:56pm On Jun 02, 2021
SmartPolician:

[s][/s]Veryyyyyyyy funny!

Is Oyo State one of the states that cannot survive without handouts from Abuja? Your guess is as good as mine.

Plus, the population of Nigeria when Awolowo gave free education was about 45 million. As a result, it was not a financial burden for the people from the South West region. Today, check the population of population of Nigeria.

It's over 200 million people. Just so you know, people who bear Yoruba names are likely to claim to come from Oyo State just to benefit from the largesse. This means that the school will probably be shouldering the educational burden of educating the entire region.

As for Nigerian medical practitioners who get jobs overseas, nobody gives them jobs without them doing series of exams and undergoing rigorous training programs. In fact, the United States only recognizes few certificates from a few universities around the world.

Aside from those renowned institutions, you will have to return to their classrooms for further training before your certificates are recognized. Don't cite the case of Covid-19 because it was unprecedented as they were responding to a pandemic.

Look where proper management and funding have landed the Covenant University of yesterday. Yes, it has toppled many of the subsidized universities that have existed from time immemorial. Public shools that should be light-years ahead of the relatively new Covenant University are now coming after it in many rankings.

What I stated there is no elitist; those are facts. You need money to run schools...little wonder Nigeria keeps churning out unemployable graduates. When it comes to critical research and development, you don't get to see Nigerian schools. How about top-rated school rankings? They are nowhere to be found.

Once again, quality university education is not cheap anywhere in the world; this is not elitist. This is a fact. I rest my case.[s][/s]

Higher Education in most of the top Universities in Germany and some other part of Europe is free.

Education is a right and not a privilege.

Any move by the government to make education accessible to the poor masses is a welcome development. forget about the quality of education, no University in Nigeria can provide QUALITY EDUCATION even the so called private universities. Let the government make education more affordable and accessible to the poor masses.

I know a good number of students from LAUTECH that got international scholarship to Europe and U.S this year.
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by tsprivacy: 3:03pm On Jun 02, 2021
Good one from Gov. Seyi Makinde. This is one of the great achievement you have done so far the people of Oyo state and Lautech students will ever be grateful to you. Weldon sir.
Re: LAUTECH: Makinde Approves 25 Percent Reduction In Tuition Fees by nuamike: 4:02pm On Jun 02, 2021
joyandfaith:

Try to get the whole picture, there are a lot of leakage in the university. With reduction, university would still be making over 3Billion from school fees alone. Government still send subventions to the university monthly.
University wage bill is about 350M monthly.
Last year he asked 5000 teachers to be employed. From my investigations, he just replaced ghost workers with real workers at no extra cost to the government.
Which shouldn't be the case. The

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NECO 2019 Timetable For June/July SSCE Out - Check And Download Here / Fed Poly Nas Nd, hnd, pre nd, PT and ijmb Form for 2013/2014 is On Sale. / University Of Calabar 2010/2011 Post Ume!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.