Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,034 members, 7,818,055 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu (2204 Views)

Power Struggle Rocks APC / APC Discusses Power Struggle Between Yemi Osinbajo And Nasir El-rufai TODAY / Nigeria And Challenges Of Fiscal Federalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Gbawe: 10:19am On May 03, 2011
One cannot help but admire the thinking of Tinubu which , despite what folks think of him , is rather sophisticated . He is saying precisely what many of us , on Nairaland, have supported for the rapid development of Nigeria. I think the SW voted in favour of his argument below.

http://www.leadershipeditors.com/ns/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30131:fiscal-federalism-panacea-for-power-struggle--tinubu&catid=51:cover-stories&Itemid=142

Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu
Tuesday, 03 May 2011 01:02 Ime Akpan, Lagos
E-mail Print

The former governor of Lagos State, Bola Tinubu has advocated for practice of fiscal federalism so as to make the centre less attractive as well as lessen the desire get to power by all means.[/b]Tinubu who spoke at the presidential wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos yesterday argued that [b]the federal government “is taking too much and that is why there is always the struggle for power at the centre.”

“Bring more money to the states; if you are asked to do something for the country, you must give the money and the resources to do it. We have been talking about this true federalism, fiscal federalism for years, we did nothing about it,” he said.

On whether the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) would serve in the President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration, Tinubu gave a non-committal reply: “If there is clear vision and determination to really serve the country, we are committed to it. We are committed to a united country; we are committed to rapid development of Nigeria, good economic recovery and constitutional democracy.”

He added that as far as the ACN is concerned, “we will work hard to really justify the confidence reposed in us in the various states that we have won. We have progressive programmes; we have a strong commitment to the people and putting the people first.”

Commenting on Workers’ Day celebration and the agitation for minimum wage, the ACN chieftain said the workers deserve wage increase.

“The purchasing power of the Nigerian worker is completely eroded and it has a very negative effect. The promise has been given by the president on minimum wage but he is not the only employer of labour; he keeps the trust of the federation account and the revenue allocation formula has not been properly examined and evaluated or adjusted since almost 15 to 20 years. That is necessary; if you give a mandate to the state to pay, you alter the revenue sharing formula,” he stressed.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by KnowAll(m): 11:25am On May 03, 2011
I agree 100%, how long do we want to continue this politics of bitterness at the centre in which the winner takes all. Give the states the money and weaken the centre is something we have to explore vigorously. How can the FG in this day and age be in charge of secondary schools. Command schools, FG Colleges, FG Girls College, Kings College in Lagos amongst others e.t.c

This is not on.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by ektbear: 11:32am On May 03, 2011
Yep. . . cannot really disagree with him. He is correct.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Gbawe: 11:38am On May 03, 2011
KnowAll:

I agree 100%, how long do we want to continue this politics of bitterness at the centre in which the winner takes all. Give the states the money and weaken the centre is something we have to explore vigorously. How can the FG in this day and age be in charge of secondary schools. Command school, FG Colleges, FG Girls College, Kings College in Lagos amongst others e.t.c

This is not on.

Thank you my brother !!! It is entirely hypocritical that many , and we know who they are, who have shouted "true federalism" are now comfortable with what we are seeing because their "son" is in charge . I am happy and proud of what the SW has done . A commitment to meritocratic leadership for Nigerian states is the way forward given the 12 years of PDP stagnation our Nation has suffered . Those who clamoured for "true federalism" vehemently yesterday and now  , in paying homage to unrealistic naiveness ,  place their ability to thrive and 'swim' entirely on 'area champion' thinking are the ones Tinubu indicts when he says:

We have been talking about this true federalism, fiscal federalism for years, we did nothing about it,”
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Beaf: 11:39am On May 03, 2011
Gbawe:

Thank you my brother !!! It is entirely hypocritical that many , and we know who they are, who have shouted "true federalism" are now comfortable with what we are seeing because their "son" is in charge . I am happy and proud of what the SW has done . A commitment to meritocratic leadership for Nigerian states is the way forward given the 12 years of PDP stagnation our Nation has suffered . Those who clamoured for "true federalism" vehemently yesterday and now , in paying homage to unrealistic naiveness , place their ability to thrive and 'swim' entirely on 'area champion' thinking are the ones Tinubu indicts when he says:

Why not develop the balls to name names, you bigoted baboon?

@topic
So why do Oshiomole and Fashola keep asking for more FG money? shocked
There needs to be a single philosophy from ACN, the way they are talking in different directions within days of each other makes it seem that they are simply making up stuff as they go along.

If the SW really wants fiscal federalism, they will find easy allies in the SE and SS. Those sections have screamed loudest and longest for it (especially the SS).
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by ektbear: 11:42am On May 03, 2011
@Gbawe: In some ways, the solutions to some of Nigeria's problems are pretty obvious. Yet for some reason there is so much inertia and love of the status quo. I think people prefer suffering in this country to prove a point rather than progressing.

What right-thinking person with sense in their heads can disagree with this motion?
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Gbawe: 11:44am On May 03, 2011
ekt_bear:

@Gbawe: In some ways, the solutions to some of Nigeria's problems are pretty obvious. Yet for some reason there is so much inertia and love of the status quo. I think people prefer suffering in this country to prove a point rather than progressing.

What right-thinking person with sense in their heads can disagree with this motion?

My brother, many don't appreciate the extent  , on the ground , of the empirical truthfulness of what you write that I highlight in bold above.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by KnowAll(m): 11:48am On May 03, 2011
We don't want people like Buhari rearing their heads every 4 years when there is a Presidential elections with their bigoted and divide and rule politics, if the money is given to the state, he can go and practise his shameful and ugly tactics in his state and let the rest of us live in peace.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by ektbear: 11:56am On May 03, 2011
In this particular case, we are fortunate that this governors forum is such a powerful block within our political system. For somewhat obvious reasons, they'll push strongly for this.

And with a weak and hapless president like GEJ, there is a strong possibility of it happening.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Gbawe: 11:57am On May 03, 2011
Beaf:

^
Why not develop the balls to name names, you bigoted baboon?

@topic
So why do Oshiomole and Fashola keep asking for more FG money? shocked
There needs to be a single philosophy from ACN, the way they are talking in different directions within days of each other makes it seem that they are simply making up stuff as they go along.

If the SW really wants fiscal federalism, they will find easy allies in the SE and SS. Those sections have screamed loudest and longest for it (especially the SS).

Stop following me around like a shameless groupie. I am not interested in unrequited love/attention. You are only demonstrating how folks racked with inferiority complex live their lives entirely in the shadow of those they feel inferior to . You are not even ashamed , while I ignore you, to constantly react to what I write with childish vitriol always incongruous with the main topic under discussion. If I hint that "we know who they are" why are you bothered? Did I mention you? You are , mentally,  a child and an intellectual lightweight who needs to learn philosophical balance.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Beaf: 12:03pm On May 03, 2011
Stop following me around like a shameless groupie. I am not interested in unrequited love/attention. You are only demonstrating how folks racked with inferiority complex live their lives entirely in the shadow of those they feel inferior to . You are not even ashamed , while I ignore you, to constantly react to what I write with childish vitriol always incongruous with the main topic under discussion. If I hint that "we know who they are" why are you bothered? Did I mention you? You are , mentally,  a child and an intellectual lightweight who needs to learn philosophical balance.

Be assured that the only thing I have for all ethnic bigots is absolute contempt, especially the cowardly ones like yourself who cannot even name names.
Why not mention who is suffering from "our son" syndrome?

Coward.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by ektbear: 12:13pm On May 03, 2011
@Gbawe: I think you did the right thing from the beginning. It isn't everyone who deserves to be addressed/interacted with on this site. Some are only worthy of mockery and scorn.

Let us not derail what otherwise would be a great thread.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Gbawe: 12:16pm On May 03, 2011
ekt_bear:

In this particular case, we are fortunate that this governors forum is such a powerful block within our political system. For somewhat obvious reasons, they'll push strongly for this.

And with a weak and hapless president like GEJ, there is a strong possibility of it happening.

It is very important to have proactive vision , especially in a Nation like Nigeria, that assist the ability to see how things will pan out . Tinubu, the ACN and the SW have made a deliberate effort to move away from an ineffective federal system that is more of an impediment than anything else. Looking at the achievement of Lagos , a lone opposition State for a long time,  makes one optimistic that the future is bright. Tinubu speaks well when , in regards to federal efforts, he says :

“If there is clear vision and determination to really serve the country, we are committed to it. We are committed to a united country; we are committed to rapid development of Nigeria, good economic recovery and constitutional democracy.”

If the right things will be done at the federal level then the SW , IMO, undoubtedly remains committed to a united Nigeria prospering together . As long as the 'newest kids on the block' in power regard Aso Rock as a launching pad for the bid to massively and cynically aggrandize a few 'insiders' , as has always been the case , then the region would be foolish persevering with the centre.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Gbawe: 12:26pm On May 03, 2011
ekt_bear:

@Gbawe: I think you did the right thing from the beginning. It isn't everyone who deserves to be addressed/interacted with on this site. Some are only worthy of mockery and scorn.

Let us not derail what otherwise would be a great thread.

My brother, I don't have time for simpletons who only claim fame via their foul mouth , ungracious demeanor and 'agbero' mien. If I had a kobo for the number of times , on Nairaland, I have told Beaf to stop following me around then I would be very wealthy . He has no problem telling others to refrain from stalking him yet he does exactly that to me. Ordinarily , I may be flattered that the local champion of the NL bigots is a shameless groupie of Gbawe but I just see no advantage in encouraging neanderthals.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Pataki: 12:55pm On May 03, 2011
Hmmmmmm. . . . .

If a Tinubu is committed to Fiscal Federalism in order to make the central less attractive, why then does he say:

“If there is clear vision and determination to really serve the country, we are committed to it. We are committed to a united country; we are committed to rapid development of Nigeria, good economic recovery and constitutional democracy.”

knowing fully well that the sole reason ACN was able to win the States in the SW region was because the Party at the centre (PDP) has been grossly ineffective for twelve years?

That is more than enough to point out that there is no clear vision and determination to really serve the country from the centre, hence the resolve of the ACN to battle out the SW region and try restore it to the path of glory.

I think this man is simply just talking from both sides of his mouth. undecided
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Desola(f): 12:59pm On May 03, 2011
I'm in awe of this man called Gbawe. He just turns me on everytime I read from him. Yorubaland is blessed! See grammar!

I'll be your groupie anytime, Gbawe. grin
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by KnowAll(m): 1:00pm On May 03, 2011
If there is clear vision and determination to really serve the country, we are committed to it. We are committed to a united country; we are committed to rapid development of Nigeria, good economic recovery and constitutional democracy

knowing fully well that the sole reason ACN was able to win the States in the SW region was becoming the Party at the centre (PDP) have been grossly ineffective for twelve years?

That is more than enough to point out that there is no clear vision and determination to really serve the country from the centre, hence the resolve of the ACN to battle out the SW region and try restore it to the path of glory.

I think this man is simply just talking from both sides of his mouth.

@ Pataki, Tinubu is only talking of the status quo as it exist today. Obviously the centre is still strong as we speak and if they want him in any capacity he would have to see what is in the offering.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Pataki: 1:06pm On May 03, 2011
KnowAll:

@ Pataki, Tinubu is only talking of the status quo as it exist today. Obviously the centre is still strong as we speak and if they want him in any capacity he would have to see what is in the offering.
Oh I get it.

It was a conditional statement he made.

Well, time will tell if indeed he is a man of his words or just yet, another politician who sways to the music that best suits his taste.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Gbawe: 1:51pm On May 03, 2011
Pataki:

Oh I get it.

It was a conditional statement he made.

Well, time will tell if indeed he is a man of his words or just yet, another politician who sways to the music that best suits his taste.

Indeed my brother. Tinubu is saying that the ACN , when the FG is fully ready to shun insincerity and empty talk, will play their part to help the emergence of a united and progressive Nigeria. It is the lack of trust in a discredited federal structure , profiting only the "owners of Nigeria" , that made folks in the SW vote as they did. If the FG does the right thing then the ACN will have no problem partnering with the centre for the sake of National progress. The SW is sick of the usual empty PDP rhetorics that has , in reality, resulted in 12 years of avoidable stagnation for Nigeria .
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by CrudeOil2(m): 2:13pm On May 03, 2011
Hmmm, what is Tinubu scared of? Better still, what is he up to?
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Beaf: 2:31pm On May 03, 2011
Crude Oil:

Hmmm, what is Tinubu scared of? Better still, what is he up to?

He is simply playing to the gallery. His game is to make politics a "them and us" game so that he can always have a captive group to milk.

If other groups take his word seriously and ask for a vote at the NASS, he will be sure to back out. A couple of weeks ago Oshiomole asked for more money from the federal purse and just a couple of days ago, Fashola did the same. The actions of the two senior party members do not bear Tinubu's words out, in fact they go in a directly opposite direction.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Mowire: 3:16pm On May 03, 2011
For the likes of pataki & beaf: the position of Tinubu on federalism's been d same in d last 12 yrs. Grow up guys
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by naijaking1: 3:19pm On May 03, 2011
Fiscal Federalism, resource control, more power to the states/regions all mean the same thing to me. Money should flow from the local governemnts, to states, and then to the federal government. Not the other way round.

Lagos should allowed to manage, maintain, and develope its resources, just like Oyo, Rivers, Bayelsa, Benue, and Borno. They should allowed to tax their resources and allocate a portion for the federal goverment.
Definitely, the current federal goverment is bloated in size, function, and responsibilities. The only person who can solve Nigeria's developmental needs would be somebody in the federal goverment who understands the current federal bureaucratic anomaly, and has the power to make these significant changes.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by CrudeOil2(m): 3:30pm On May 03, 2011
Mowire:

For the likes of pataki & beaf: the position of Tinubu on federalism's been d same in d last 12 yrs. Grow up guys
Trash! If they are staunch advocates of fiscal federalism, why do they still beg the federal government for financial aid/allocation monthly? If you love the concept of fiscal federalism, then stop requesting for monthly allocations from the federal government.
Practice what you preach.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by seanet02: 3:36pm On May 03, 2011
Crude Oil:

Trash! If they are staunch advocates of fiscal federalism, why do they still beg the federal government for financial aid/allocation monthly? Practice what you preach.
It is like you don't even know the meaning of True Federalism. How do you expect Lagos to take over the revenues accruing from the Nigeria Ports Authority without constitutional backing? Mehn you know nada
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Chyz2: 3:40pm On May 03, 2011
Lmao! Opportunist.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by CrudeOil2(m): 3:40pm On May 03, 2011
seanet02:

It is like you don't even know the meaning of True Federalism. How do you expect Lagos to take over the revenues accruing from the Nigeria Ports Authority without constitutional backing? Mehn you know nada
Trash! The NPA is owned by the federal government.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by CrudeOil2(m): 3:44pm On May 03, 2011
Chyz*:

Lmao! Opportunist.
Don't mind them. The same tinubu who created extra local governments for the sake of receiving larger allocations from the FG is now preaching about fiscal federalism. Hypocrite.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by seanet02: 3:55pm On May 03, 2011
Crude Oil:

Don't mind them. The same tinubu who created extra local governments for the sake of receiving larger allocations from the FG is now preaching about fiscal federalism. Hypocrite.
See me see trouble o. Do you even know what is called Fiscal Federalism? You can still get a helping hand, just g, Search it. Mehn don't know ignorant people like this still exist.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by Lagosboy: 4:10pm On May 03, 2011
I agree with Tinubu 100% on the issue of fiscal federalism or a review of the revenue allocation formular Fashola talked about 2 days ago. It is the best for Nigeria and i think we should start the debate big time, this debate should not ot just for pages of newpapers but the debate should start at the NASS.

Hence, if Tinubu is sincere with this as i want to believe so , ACN should make it a policy and work with CPC at the lower house to sponosr the bill and put it to debate which will positively result in a vote.

However, i do not like to see the hole in the doughnut all the time but the comment below :

On whether the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) would[b] serve in the President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration, Tinubu gave a non-committal reply: “If there is clear vision and determination to really serve the country, we are committed to it. We are committed to a united country; we are committed to rapid development of Nigeria, good economic recovery and constitutional democracy[/b].”

I can only intepret this to mean yes, ACN will serve in the government as part of the deal that brought PDP to power. I have no problem with this in the least, if it will be capable and efficient minsiters that will deliver. Where my problem lies is the double speak or hypocricy of denial that a deal was never struck which led to the collapse of the proposed alliance.

The GEJ led PDP will maintain the status quo and nothing will change, with men like FO standing by GEJ it will be business as usual . My only beef is calling PDP devil and secretly striking a deal wiith them , it has all the smell of typical Nigerian politicians.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by CrudeOil2(m): 4:11pm On May 03, 2011
seanet02:

See me see trouble o. Do you even know what is called Fiscal Federalism? You can still get a helping hand, just g, Search it. Mehn don't know ignorant people like this still exist.
You're a serious ignorant madman.
Re: Fiscal Federalism, Panacea For Power Struggle – Tinubu by adconline(m): 4:23pm On May 03, 2011
"We should all be the change we would like see" Let non PDP governors show us how to internally generate revenues that would sustain their developmental programmes in their respective states. In this case, it would prove to us that making the centre less attractive is a doable thing. But, this is Naija where politicians are lazy to act outside the box. Hope they will not miss easy monthly allocation from FG?

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Never Said We'll Make Nigeria Ungovernable For Jonathan-acf / Sahara Reporters Exposed Again - Unbelieveable / Ikimi’s Defection, Final Blow To APC — Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.