Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,047 members, 7,810,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification (15809 Views)

This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice / Should I Continue With My Job Or I Should Leave And Work As A Money Agent? / My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by TalkTalkTwins(m): 3:57pm On Jun 21, 2021
tongue
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Trustedpronet: 4:00pm On Jun 21, 2021
Smhaykins:
Hello guys.

Please u need an enlightenment.

I was going through my Facebook page.

And I saw an advert for Cisco training, certification and placement. Fee: 67,000.

Please I don't know how effective is this in getting a job. Any possibility of me coping since I don't have any background in computer or networking.

Please advice

Is it CCNA, CCNP or CCNI....I did my ccna at the university of jos ICT centre around 2005. I Did A+ in SA. The truth is that all certification are very OK outside Nigeria. But the systems here don't give a Bleep about your international certification except some few foreign companies. With CCNP you can get a job with a communication company.

4 Likes

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by siraj1402(m): 4:01pm On Jun 21, 2021
Smhaykins:
Hello guys.

And I saw an advert for Cisco training, certification and placement. Fee: 67,000.

Please I don't know how effective is this in getting a job. Any possibility of me coping since I don't have any background in computer or networking.

Please advice
Come I am a certified instructor, I will give you all it take and register you for the exams with less than that amount.
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by linearity: 4:04pm On Jun 21, 2021
Some people and advise self na wao.....

Una wey dey tell the guy make him no do CCNA or CCNP, say na CCIE be the baba, how him go take reach yonder? Some dey even say CCIE Security as if CCIE na moimoi?

Agreed, CCIE does not have any pre-requisite, but advising the OP to gun for CCIE without testing the waters with CCNA and CCNP is almost like telling a secondary school graduate, that BSc and MSc are almost everywhere now, that he/she should go for Ph.D. Getting CCIE is good, but as a beginner with no network working experience or other lower Cisco certifications, you will be easily overwhelmed and frustrated, you may even end up hating the decision to attempt it, all because you skip a lot of basic foundational steps....don't do it!

Also, Cloud certifications like AWS, Azure, etc are good...but these are all overly networks, you are much more valuable if you also understand the underly networks and the Openstack network orchestration that feeds these overly networks and also to which these overly networks interconnect to in cases of hybrid clouds.

The OP need basic networking, routing, switching, security knowledge before he can be successful as a Cloud Engineer...After Azure Fundamentals certifications, these basic networking principles will help him, when he start going for higher Azure or AWS certification...moreso he will be using Azure, AWS, etc cloud Architectures to build the same underly networks that Cisco and other vendors will teach him......Also there are now many vendors e.g. Cisco software defined cloud devices that he may have to instantiate on Azure or AWS cloud, and without previous knowledge of working with these vendor devices, all his Azure or AWS knowledge and trainings wouldn't help.

There is a difference between trying to build a career and looking for a quick training that will quickly start providing bread and butter....if the OP is looking for a career like he stated and for many others who want to build a career in the cloud....If you want to be a Cloud Engineer, do not forsake basic networking from vendors like Cisco, Juniper, etc and if you want to be a Cloud Developer, your knowledge of Software development, coding, python, shell scripting, etc will give you an edge on whatever career path you may want to choose in the cloud.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Skillsnigeria: 4:05pm On Jun 21, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by AlwaysMotun: 4:07pm On Jun 21, 2021
Smhaykins:

Thanks.

But they said there will be placement after certification.

I don't know how through is it

Same thing I was told when I did it in 2012... There was no placement kan kan...

4 Likes

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by koladata(m): 4:10pm On Jun 21, 2021
its not relevant
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by hantey: 4:14pm On Jun 21, 2021
[quote author=Smhaykins post=102921826]Hello guys.

Please go for comptia instead as it is generally acceptable
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by annonygh(m): 4:15pm On Jun 21, 2021
Smhaykins:

Thanks.

But they said there will be placement after certification.

I don't know how through is it
Please ignore the placement after certification. They do that to lure you to pay for the course. After training/ certification, they tell you, you get a call back when they have a placement for you which can take till eternity.

4 Likes

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by biggy26: 4:17pm On Jun 21, 2021
Gun79:
If this is 2005 to 2010, I would say yes, get a CCNA

If this is 2011 to 2015, I would say get a CCNP

But in 2021? You need at least CCIE in order to be reckoned with. And see that CCIE, is a beast. It is the most difficult I.T exam on this planet to pass(100% fact, use Google to confirm) or lemme just say top 3.

I will attach a screenshot of a 130k job advert that requires Master degree + CCNP + 4year experience to tell you how useless CCNA Certificate is(in Nigeria of Course)

There are more valuable, more in-demand Certifications like Cloud computing(AWS 12 Certifications), Cyber Security(CISSP, CEH e.t.c), Data Science (Tensorflow Developer Certificate) e.t.c

All that being said if you just need the basic knowledge of Networking and not necessarily for Job purposes, Pls do go for it. I have a useless CCNA certificate from 6yrs ago, but I'm greatful for the knowledge I have, it has helped me in some other fields such as Cloud computing and Cybersecurity

Peace!

Wow! Land a lucrative job in 2021. Grab this I.T MEGA BUNDLE and Go from ZERO to HERO in just 6 months. Current 20% discount expires this friday. WhatsApp Me if interested. Payment on delivery
Never take naija HR recruiters seriously, they write rubbish job descriptions, ask for qualifications that don't match the position.... So never judge yourself or qualifications based on their requirements.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by annonygh(m): 4:17pm On Jun 21, 2021
I rather you go with Aptech. You can google them

3 Likes

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Djamel(m): 4:19pm On Jun 21, 2021
Gh
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by sammyobi584: 4:34pm On Jun 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Na dont. The base level certifications are everywhere. Do cloud certifications instead. AWS, Azure and GCP or kubernetes and docker.

Can you do any of these courses without any basic knowledge of programming?
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Curry30: 4:35pm On Jun 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Na dont. The base level certifications are everywhere. Do cloud certifications instead. AWS, Azure and GCP or kubernetes and docker.

I disagree to an extent. Cloud is very profitable and in high demand but someone NEEDS to have a strong networking foundation to implement the cloud technologies properly.

So I'll advice the op to at least get his CCNA > AWS CCP or Azure fundamentals. From there he can decide in which direction to follow as his interest leads!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by remedick: 4:38pm On Jun 21, 2021
signz:

There are job opportunities for cloud certs holders in Nigeria?

Is it in high demand abroad and can cloud certs holders in Nigeria work remotely for companies abroad?

Thank you

When you are targeting this kind of tech certs., don't think of just Nigeria but global. Think remote jobs so that u can escape Nigeria's naira inflation

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Curry30: 4:38pm On Jun 21, 2021
Smhaykins:
Hello guys.

Please advice

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) is worth it. It may not get you your dream job but it sets you up for success. Get your CCNA, then go for AWS Certified Cloud Practicioner (that's if you're a newbie) if not skip AWS CCP and go straight to AWS Certified Solutions Architect
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by abbey621(m): 4:41pm On Jun 21, 2021
Curry30:

I disagree to an extent. Cloud is very profitable and in high demand but someone NEEDS to have a strong networking foundation to implement the cloud technologies properly.

So I'll advice the op to at least get his CCNA > AWS CCP or Azure fundamentals. From there he can decide in which direction to follow as his interest leads!

Everything in life needs context, when you say cloud is very profitable keep in mind the country that we are discussing here, keep in mind majority of companies here still don't know the full value of having strong I.T personnels, in fact certifications alone won't do shin shin for you when compared to your actual ability toput it into practice. No reputational company here in Nigeria would hire someone with certifications but zero or little real world experience, in fact this has always been the problem of Nigeria expecting fresh graduates to have 5-7 years of experience before consideration. The poster needs to understand this, having certifications is not a guarantee for job placement, he shouldn't be surprised that the street engineer ends up getting more offers than him.

5 Likes

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by bastardson: 4:41pm On Jun 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Do I need prior IT knowledge to do this?

Can I DM you?
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Curry30: 4:42pm On Jun 21, 2021
linearity:

Una wey dey tell the guy make him no do CCNA or CCNP, say na CCIE be the baba, how him go take reach yonder? Some dey even say CCIE Security as if CCIE na moimoi?

Agreed, CCIE does not have any pre-requisite, but advising the OP to gun for CCIE without testing his the waters with CCNA and CCNP is almost like telling a secondary school graduate that BSc and MSc are almost everywhere now, that he should go for Ph.D. Getting CCIE is good, but as a beginner with no network working experience or other lower Cisco certification, you will be easily overwhelmed and frustrated, you may even end up hating the decision to attempt it, all because you skip a lot of basic foundational steps....don't do it!

Also, Cloud certifications like AWS, Azure, etc are good...but these are all overly networks, you are much more valuable if you also understand the underly networks and the Openstack network orchestration that feeds these overly networks and also to which these overly networks interconnect to in cases of hybrid cloud.

The OP need basic networking, routing, switching, security before he can be successful as a Cloud Engineer...After Azure Fundanmentals certifications, these basic networking principles will help him, when he start going for higher Azure or AWS certification...moreso he will be using Azure, AWS, etc cloud Achitectures to build the same underly networks that Cisco and other vendors will teach him......Also there are now many vendors e.g. Cisco software defined cloud devices that he may have to instantiate in Azure of AWS cloud, without a previous knowledge of working with these vendor devices, all this Azure or AWS knowledge and trainings wouldn't help.

There is a difference between trying to build a career and looking for a quick training to that will quickly start providing bread and butter....if the OP is looking for a career like he stated and for many others who want to build a career in the cloud....If you want to be a Cloud Engineer, do not forsake basic networking from vendors like Cisco, Juniper, etc and if you want to be a Cloud Developer, your knowledge of Software development, coding, python, shell scripting, etc will give you an edge on whatever career path you may want to choose in the cloud.

Thank you for this bro.
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:42pm On Jun 21, 2021
abbey621:

Everything in life needs context, when you say cloud is very profitable keep in mind the country that we are discussing here, keep in mind majority of companies here still don't know the full value of having strong I.T personnels, in fact certifications alone won't do shin shin for you when compared to your actual ability toput it into practice. No reputational company here in Nigeria would hire someone with certifications but zero or little real world experience, in fact this has always been the problem of Nigeria expecting fresh graduates to have 5-7 years of experience before consideration. The poster needs to understand this, having certifications is not a guarantee for job placement, he shouldn't be surprised that the street engineer ends up getting more offers than him.
With regards to IT, Nigeria market isn't the only market. With cloud certifications, you can work remotely with firms In the USA and Europe.
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:43pm On Jun 21, 2021
bastardson:
Do I need prior IT knowledge to do this?

Can I DM you?
Na you don't. Yeah you can.
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by Akwamkpuruamu: 4:46pm On Jun 21, 2021
signz:

There are job opportunities for cloud certs holders in Nigeria?

Is it in high demand abroad and can cloud certs holders in Nigeria work remotely for companies abroad?

Thank you

Exactly. Just as am preparing to take my AWS exams soon, I have been going through the paid dumps
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by kokoboy4life(m): 4:48pm On Jun 21, 2021
Seniorwriter:

Go ahead no knowledge is lost.
Ability to convert what one knows to financial / monetary value is what many people / professional lack knowledge of reason why there is rise in the unemployment level in many developing countries like Nigeria.
Unfortunately too this process of knowing how to monetize what you are taught as an undergraduate is not considered in school(university)!

Howbeit I keep telling people that no matter the kind of course or profession you are in, you can effectively monetize it via the online space either as a freelancer , content creator or consultant.
Some month ago(April) someone that is an electrical technical college graduate reached out through the facebook id on my profile and after 3 weeks paid training he now earns via Dropshipping & Dropservising of electrical tools and essentials via online and from the feedback I get he earns @least #60k(sixty thousand naira) weekly doing this.
With just 20 electrical shops he supplies daily with Sunday as his rest day with an average of #500(five hundred naira) profits per supplies he makes the said sixty thousand naira profits.
I told him to manage these 20clients for at least 3months then he can decide to source for another 20 with same locomotives he was thought in creating these 20 he delivers for.

That's why I keep saying that if you have access to internet + browsing gadgets and you ain't earning even $5 or it's naira equivalent daily or you are yet experiencing financial freedom then it's your own undoing(FAULT).

Proactivity Leads To Productivity.
@seniorwriter

Good day to you, kindly enlighten me further on how I can start earning through online commercial platforms

1 Like

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by vvvbobby205(m): 4:58pm On Jun 21, 2021
linearity:

Agreed, CCIE does not have any pre-requisite, but advising the OP to gun for CCIE without testing his the waters with CCNA and CCNP is almost like telling a secondary school graduate that BSc and MSc are almost everywhere now, that he should go for Ph.D. Getting CCIE is good, but as a beginner with no network working experience or other lower Cisco certification, you will be easily overwhelmed and frustrated, you may even end up hating the decision to attempt it, all because you skip a lot of basic foundational steps....don't do it!

Also, Cloud certifications like AWS, Azure, etc are good...but these are all overly networks, you are much more valuable if you also understand the underly networks and the Openstack network orchestration that feeds these overly networks and also to which these overly networks interconnect to in cases of hybrid cloud.

The OP need basic networking, routing, switching, security before he can be successful as a Cloud Engineer...After Azure Fundanmentals certifications, these basic networking principles will help him, when he start going for higher Azure or AWS certification...moreso he will be using Azure, AWS, etc cloud Achitectures to build the same underly networks that Cisco and other vendors will teach him......Also there are now many vendors e.g. Cisco software defined cloud devices that he may have to instantiate in Azure of AWS cloud, without a previous knowledge of working with these vendor devices, all this Azure or AWS knowledge and trainings wouldn't help.

There is a difference between trying to build a career and looking for a quick training to that will quickly start providing bread and butter....if the OP is looking for a career like he stated and for many others who want to build a career in the cloud....If you want to be a Cloud Engineer, do not forsake basic networking from vendors like Cisco, Juniper, etc and if you want to be a Cloud Developer, your knowledge of Software development, coding, python, shell scripting, etc will give you an edge on whatever career path you may want to choose in the cloud.

Wisdom......

1 Like

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by abbey621(m): 5:02pm On Jun 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

With regards to IT, Nigeria market isn't the only market. With cloud certifications, you can work remotely with firms In the USA and Europe.

Yes but we are being realistic here, the chances of those jobs are less than 1% in this current global economy. I stay in the USA myself and we would rather hire Indians than Africans when it comes to remote work or even H1B visas.
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by tolaade1960: 5:03pm On Jun 21, 2021
You can write CCNA to have networking basics. And if u are a young graduate , u will able to get network engineer job.
As u start IT career , depends on the IT job you are doing , u can get Microsoft certification in. Cloud computing, write ITIL exam.
After 3-5, you will able to define your path.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by processrxtn: 5:04pm On Jun 21, 2021
linearity:

OP read this over and over. My 2 cents

1 Like

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by processrxtn: 5:05pm On Jun 21, 2021
aliyuthayo:

What's the Course? Cisco have many certifications training, you have to be specific.
The only guide to any IT Certification is to be sure the person that'll train you is vast and can apply real live scenarios to the training.
Don't just go to training center that do copy and paste style.

Another One million naira advise
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by bluefilm: 5:08pm On Jun 21, 2021
Eyaaaa... so cisco certification still dey?

I remember that time when we been dey look for employment when dem use cisco certification chop us shege.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by SmartPolician: 5:10pm On Jun 21, 2021
Smhaykins, you should have given us more information:

1. Are you a student?

2. Do you have a background in information technology or computer science?

If you don't have any experience in networking, don't waste your hard-earned money on that thing. The reason is that most companies ask for experience before considering applicants for networking jobs.

You are more likely to get a job in software development, web development, digital marketing than going for CCNA without networking experience.
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by baysan(m): 5:11pm On Jun 21, 2021
Please I am getting confuse with some comments here, does it mean CCNA is a required Skills before you can become a cloud Engineer
Re: Please Advice If I Should Go For Cisco Certification by professore(m): 5:17pm On Jun 21, 2021
Nairalanders are very helpful.

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Does It Mean If Your Employer Is Advertising For Your Position / Addax Workers Lock Out CEO, Colin Klapa, Begin Strike / Earn #1000 Daily On Scooper App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.