Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,376 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows (24532 Views)

Imo: Punch Reporter Abducted, Beaten, Held In Govt House For Interviewing Protes / Soldiers Arrest Grace Abdu, VOA Journalist For Interviewing Resident Of Oyigbo / Segun Adewale (Aeroland) Slaps BBC Reporter For Recording Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by Islie: 8:11am On Jun 22, 2021
A correspondent of the Punch Newspapers in Imo, Chidiebube Okeoma, was on Monday brutalised by Government House security and some policemen attached to Owerri Capital Development Authority (OCDA) for interviewing some widowed street cleaners protesting the non payment of their stipends.

The women had converged on the gate to Imo Government House on Friday to demand the payment of their salaries.

However, the Chief of Staff to the Governor of Imo, Nnamdi Anyaehie, who ran into the protesting women in front of the Government House gate had promised them their payment would be effected on Monday.

He had assured that as listening government, Governor Hope Uzodimma, was not one that would allow workers, not to talk of women to suffer.

He had also told them that the problem arose because some of them had not provided their account numbers.

However, on Monday the women came back to inquire about the CoS’s promise.

But instead of listening to them, police chased them away.

Okeoma, who went to interview them, was accosted by some policemen who questioned the authority on which he was talking to the women.

All explanations to them that he was doing his legitimate duties were rebuffed as the police bundled him to the office of the Chief Security Officer, CSP Shaba Adamu

The CSO did not listen to him either as the humiliation continued.

Okeoma said that on seeing him, Adamu requested he be detained but on a second thought asked the journalist to explain what he was doing where the women were protesting.

The CSO deleted all the videos and pictures on the correspondent’s phone before freeing him.

Okeoma, who appeared rough and distraught, said he was able to get out of the brutality by God’s intervention as he could have been tagged an unknown gunman.

He said they confiscated his gadgets and attempted to shoot him if he dared say any word.

After beating the journalist, the visibly charged policemen drove him into the governor’s office in Owerri.

The journalist said, ”I was at the government house roundabout where I was covering widows who were protesting their six months non payment of salaries owed them by the state government.

“While I was there, policemen welding rifles with thugs from OCDA berged into me after cocking their guns. One of them immediately slapped me while the other punched me on my left eye and immediately took all my gadgets.

“They demanded to know who gave me the permission to cover the protest but in response I told them that my power to cover the protest was enshrined in the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria. They immediately dragged me on my waist and put me inside one of their operational vehicles and drove me to Imo state government house.

“The policemen who were harassing and intimidating me in the vehicle, matched me like a common criminal to the office of the governor where I was bundled into the office of the government house Chief Security officer, Shaba Adamu.

“On sighting me, Adamu said that I ought to have been detained instead of bringing me to him but I told him that I am not criminal but the Imo state correspondent of The PUNCH newspapers. He requested to know whogave me the permission to cover the protest but I insisted that my roles as a journalist are enshrined in the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria.

“The policeman then demanded to see the video footages I made and on seeing them he ordered on me gunpoint to delete them which I did. He ordered that my gadgets be released to me afterwards.

He later gave me N5,000—to use and treat myself which I collected at gunpoint—and warned me not to ever repeat it again. I have since taken the money to the police but the police authority didn’t take it.”

Okeoma said that he is still feeling some pains internally owing to the beating the policemen gave him.

The journalist said that he had since reported the development to the state commissioner of police, Abutu Yaro.

Okeoma said that the state commissioner for information and strategy, Declan Emelumba, apologized to him.

https://dailytrust.com/police-brutalise-punch-correspondent-for-interviewing-protesting-widow-sweepers

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by Xscape1993(m): 8:12am On Jun 22, 2021
I am not surprise. The level of lawlessness in this government is so high.

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by Sebastine1994(m): 8:14am On Jun 22, 2021
Dostoevsky

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by colorsofrainbow: 8:22am On Jun 22, 2021
Uzodingba is just messing up himself every now and then

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by degenuine1(m): 8:29am On Jun 22, 2021
The lawlessness in this country is too much.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by Nobody: 8:32am On Jun 22, 2021
Will this country ever get better

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by Pierocash(m): 8:44am On Jun 22, 2021
I have never seen or read anywhere on how a Journalist,or medical doctor of northern extraction been brutalised by security personnel in Nigeria,only Southerners .

Brothers have you seen?

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by Thermodynamics(m): 1:54pm On Jun 22, 2021
Nigeria is officially the worst Country in the World. Everything is just in a mess.
Nigerian Police/military men and Nigerian politicians are the worst set of people God has ever created. Nobody can match them in wickedness, not even the devil.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by Suspect33(m): 1:54pm On Jun 22, 2021
PUNCH reporter got PUNCHED grin

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by slawormiir: 1:54pm On Jun 22, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Nigeria Police is full of dog shit

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by gurunlocker: 1:54pm On Jun 22, 2021
Police punched PUNCH reporter grin cheesy grin

Too much punch in a sentence

21 Likes

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by Blackfire(m): 1:54pm On Jun 22, 2021
Police PUNCH punch newspaper..

grin
Shithole ruled by lifeless

7 Likes

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by temptnow: 1:54pm On Jun 22, 2021
And that's why we support unknown gunmen. Cos they're the only one to deal with any policeman found around.

8 Likes

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by obembet(f): 1:55pm On Jun 22, 2021
Same police begging for help here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPeVcMQgjzs

3 Likes

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by englishmart(m): 1:55pm On Jun 22, 2021
Useless police guys terrorising people they should be protecting
That's how some roadside police officers arrested me for urinating close to their mini-station. I was to pay a compulsory 5k or be locked up. One of them who threatened to hit me with a baton, when he saw how good I smelled, noticed how expensive I looked, he had no choice but to have a rethink.
I told their boss I won't give shishi and I wasn't spending 10-mins. more there. The boss was stopped in his track for some seconds before he responded,
"If you don't have money, call someone to transfer for you"
I told him I will call my AIG uncle to send the money.
I dialed the AIG's number, put it on loudspeaker and showed it to them. Let me just stop here jare

3 Likes

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by GeneralPula: 1:55pm On Jun 22, 2021
Biafra people self..

2 Likes

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by Cowbell521: 1:55pm On Jun 22, 2021
Make una dey Punch una self. Mey D best puncher win

1 Like

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by 1Dray(m): 1:55pm On Jun 22, 2021
Pierocash:
I have never seen or read anywhere on how a Journalist,or medical doctor of northern extraction been brutalised by security personnel in Nigeria,only Southerners .

Brothers have you seen?

No no no no, since I was born, I have never seen...

5 Likes

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by JooEeL(m): 1:55pm On Jun 22, 2021
If you love the Zoo police and army, it means you are a slave to oppression and extrajudicial killings.

Actually it means you have no brains for analytical reasoning.

9 Likes

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by SmithRussell(m): 1:55pm On Jun 22, 2021
;DPolice punch punch reporter.

Dunno why I find this so funny.

Everything just dey upside down for this country. Sad!

1 Like

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by Mayng01(m): 1:55pm On Jun 22, 2021
Lawlessness and semi illiterate police officers

4 Likes

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 22, 2021
Crazy
Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by Sebastine1994(m): 1:56pm On Jun 22, 2021
you work with punch newspaper and you can't punch

1 Like

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by owobokiri(m): 1:56pm On Jun 22, 2021
Ozodimgba will surely collect..
The man has gone too far..
Make Buhari comot fes..

7 Likes

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by pickatyouu: 1:56pm On Jun 22, 2021
Nigerian security forces are touts.
Never professional in their jobs and so mentally unbalanced.

4 Likes

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:57pm On Jun 22, 2021
I am not surprised. Even if you complain about their excesses, they will make fun of you because those who are in key positions in the Imo state government to investigate rights abuses are ruffians, thugs and corrupt minded people.

A year ago their Head of Public Complaints commission was caught on video receiving blow jóbs from a prostitute while 2 of his aide and officials were having sex with other girls besides the Nigerian flag and nothing happened. Reporting issues like this to people that desecrated and disrespected the Nigerian flag and those already compromised to deal with them is a waste if time

2 Likes

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by EdoFirstBorn(m): 1:57pm On Jun 22, 2021
When the people are ready they will rise up

Suffer marginalisation beatings unlawful arrests and government looting never tire Una grin

When you guys are tired you will rise up

Until then keep ranting and crying on radio and social media.

grin

2 Likes

Re: Chidiebube Okeoma: Police Slap Punch Reporter For Interviewing Protesting Widows by Miyachi: 1:57pm On Jun 22, 2021
gurunlocker:
Police punched PUNCH reporter grin cheesy grin

Too much punch in a sentence
Tautology grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yakubu Dogara Receives Chieftaincy Title In Abia / New Kano Emirates: Ganduje Has Done Right Thing - Junaid Mohammed / Five Countries To Send 8,700 Troops To Help Jonathan's Govt. Fight Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.