Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence (2287 Views)

Committees: Reps Reject Dogara’s Appointments - Punch / House Leadership: Northern Reps Make U-turn, Mobilise Against Gbajabiamila / Senate Presidency/House Speakership: Trouble Looms In APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by soldee: 4:14pm On May 06, 2011
Thursday, 05 May 2011 18:45 ⁠ ⁠ ⁠
People's Daily

http://www.peoplesdaily-online.com/news/national-news/11963-speaker-northern-reps-reject-zoning-insist-on-competence

An imminent showdown looms between members of the House of Representatives from the North and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) over the choice of the Speaker for the House to be inaugurated on June 6.

While the PDP that has the majority in the House is insisting on zoning the office of the Speaker among other principal offices, northern lawmakers, elected on the platform of the party have remained adamant that the zoning arrangement no longer exists in the party.

The members, who for the past one week have engaged in series of meetings, Peoples Daily learnt, have already mapped out strategies to frustrate any attempt by the PDP national leadership to introduce zoning in the election of a new Speaker during the inauguration of the new House.

On the other hand, the PDP, it was reliably gathered has been under pressure from the South- East geo-political zone to cede the post of speaker or Senate President to the Igbo.

However, according to a source close to the PDP leadership, the demand for the Senate presidency by the South-East may not materialise as the party’s leadership in conjunction with President Goodluck Jonathan have agreed to allow the incumbent, Senate President David Mark from the North-Central to continue in office.

The decision to have Senator Mark continue in office, which was said to be at the insistence of President Jonathan has left the South-East to concentrate more on grabbing the post of Speaker, a situation said to be vehemently opposed to by House members from the North.

The Northern lawmakers, according to a competent source, hinged their demands on two grounds; that the zoning arrangement in PDP is dead with the emergence of President Jonathan as the party’s presidential candidate and his subsequent election as President-elect in total breach of the party’s constitution.

Based on provisions of the PDP Constitution, the North, after the demise of late President Umaru Yar’adua a year ago should have been allowed to complete its eight-year tenure before the presidency shifts to the South.

However, Jonathan and the leadership of the PDP ignored the provisions of the party’s constitution and instead said the President had every right to contest for the presidency.

The northern members, who are in the majority in the House, our sources said, would use the same argument by the PDP and President Jonathan to frustrate any move to apply the zoning formula in electing a new Speaker.

This much was confirmed to Peoples Daily yesterday by one of the influential ranking members of the House, Rep. Faruk Lawan (PDP-Kano), who said that “in looking for a leadership for the next House, our guiding criteria will be competence, credibility and experience, and nothing more.”

Rep. Lawan is the chairman of the Integrity Group that engineered the ouster of former Speaker, Patricia Etteh. He asserted that “members of the House will choose those to preside over our affairs without being guided by any external force.”

According to the re-elected third-term lawmaker, “we will not limit our search for competent leaders to any geo-political zone,” adding that “we have already started grouping to identify those among us whom we believe we will give the mantle of leadership that should be accountable to us.”

Though Rep. Lawan declined to make a categorical statement on the fate of the PDP’s zoning arrangement, another ranking member, who pleaded for anonymity told Peoples Daily yesterday that the position of the Speaker would be thrown open to all interested candidates from any zone, adding that “we will only try to ensure that we reflect federal character in choosing our leaders as provided for by the 1999 Constitution.”

Confirming the resolve of the Northern members, another re-elected member, Musa Sarkin-Adar on Wednesday, said members from the North would not observe the PDP zoning formula when electing the leadership of the incoming House.

In an interview with the Hausa service of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) monitored in Abuja, Sarkin-Adar said the PDP zoning arrangement has been breached by the emergence of President Jonathan as President-elect.

Sarkin-Adar, who is the Chairman of the House Committee on Electoral Matters said: “it is not an offence for the North to demand that zoning should be jettisoned in the PDP. We were deceived before, because it was said to be in the Constitution, but it was breached for a particular purpose. Therefore if we now say this is how we want it, then should we be blamed?

“Zoning in PDP is dead with the election of Jonathan as President. To bring it now is a betrayal, deception and making us look foolish; therefore we will not allow it to stand in the House.

“The House should be allowed to make its choice freely, for credible people to emerge as leaders, those whose allegiance would not be to the party or to any external forces, but those who would command the respect and loyalty of all members,” he said.

To underscore their seriousness, some members in the race for the post of Speaker have already commenced consultations and mobilisation of their colleagues, both re-elected and the newly elected ones to sell their candidature.

Among those known to have declared their interest are Rep. Yakubu Dogara from Bauchi state and Rep. Jerry Mamwe from Adamawa state, while speculations are rife that Reps. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal from Sokoto state and Faruk Lawan from Kano state would soon join the race.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by jason123: 4:19pm On May 06, 2011
Well said Northern Leaders. We southerners have finally pushed Zoning out of the way, now positions will be given to the most competent man/woman in Nigeria regardless of their ethnic group.
Senate president or whatever should definitely go to the most competent man. Southerners should stop double speaking!!!
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by hakanai(m): 4:35pm On May 06, 2011
OKay! All in favour say " I " grin
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by Dede1(m): 4:52pm On May 06, 2011
jason123:

Well said Northern Leaders. We southerners have finally pushed Zoning out of the way, now positions will be given to the most competent man/woman in Nigeria regardless of their ethnic group.
Senate president or whatever should definitely go to the most competent man. Southerners should stop double speaking!!!

“Well said northern leaders” on what ground? How do you determine most competent person for the posts of speaker of the house and president of the senate? I guess you have to conduct a written examination to determine individual’s skill sets. I have said unequivocally Nigerians are not qualified to sit in a room where democracy is discussed.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by ypad: 4:57pm On May 06, 2011
Competence, that's what will push the country forward.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by Beaf: 5:03pm On May 06, 2011
How many of those Northern members are from the Middle Belt? Interests will sing a loud song. lol
Middle Belt interests have since spectacularly diverged from core-Northern interests. So, selection by merit will be a good thing indeed.

Maybe after that, we look at child voters and the hidden meaning for total size of population, which by the way is what translates to number of house of rep members? Certain moves are equivalent to drinking slow poison.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by jumobi1(m): 5:10pm On May 06, 2011
Perhaps zoning doesn't favor them right now? I don't trust Nigerian politicians
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by aljharem3: 5:12pm On May 06, 2011
Beaf:

How many of those Northern members are from the Middle Belt? Interests will sing a loud song. lol
Middle Belt interests have since spectacularly diverged from core-Northern interests. So, selection by merit will be a good thing indeed.

Maybe after that, we look at child voters and the hidden meaning for total size of population, which by the way is what translates to number of house of rep members? Certain moves are equivalent to drinking slow poison.

makes no sense undecided
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by Beaf: 5:18pm On May 06, 2011
alj_harem:

makes no sense undecided

It means they have no leg to stand on.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by dayokanu(m): 5:23pm On May 06, 2011
All interested candidates should come out and be voted for, Whoever wins the vote should be the speaker.

I think we are done with zoning in this country
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by Dede1(m): 5:31pm On May 06, 2011
Nigeria shall also do away with quota system in the intake of officer’s cadet into Nigeria military academy via NDA. It must be strictly based on the standardized written examination across the country. Most of the northerners who came from the military background that are now jostling for the position of president, vice president, senate president and house speaker should not have been contenders if not for quota system.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by Rhino5dm: 5:33pm On May 06, 2011
Only weak and backward people will be clamouring for zoning at this time of age.

I so much want to see which people will be eating from hand to mouth.

Zoning died with Yar adua last year. Permit me to thank GEJ. Let the people with brain take the day. Perharp, federal chracter commision should be scrap out.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by dapachez: 5:36pm On May 06, 2011
haka_nai:

OKay! All in favour say " I " grin
I
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by 9javoice1(m): 5:54pm On May 06, 2011
yes we need best credible person to take the job. yet I doubt if the north will vote credibility, they are saying all these bcuz they have majority in the house,all the same the south can never be the last where credibility reigning
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by 9javoice1(m): 6:12pm On May 06, 2011
this move could have been best but its wrong political strategy on the side of the ne and nw. they want to use there number in the house to win both top position while hiding under the cover of credibility. tell them its not going to work.they must take pdp chairman while the sw take chairman of assembly and the east will take both assist and national secretary. untill we creat equal states to every region or we introduce equal representatives to the house from every region.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by Musiwa13: 6:31pm On May 06, 2011
f
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by ziccoit: 6:33pm On May 06, 2011
Yes o o. These people really want to pay Jona by his own coins. They have the number when it is put to a vote and the Speaker and Senate president will just enter into the North.  grin grin grin grin

The hen is really coming home to rust.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by ziccoit: 6:51pm On May 06, 2011
jumobi1:

Perhaps zoning doesn't favor them right now? I don't trust Nigerian politicians

Zoning was born with OBJ in 1999 and was assassinated by the same man. I hate double standard that OBJ represents. Let the NORTH threat our f** up this time around so people will understand they too are brainy.

In fact I am enjoying this game. I hope it doesn't end.  Angry-politician is the name running smoothly now on my Android. You can Google and download yours. grin grin Lol
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by Gbawe: 7:13pm On May 06, 2011
9ja voice:

this move could have been best but its wrong political strategy on the side of the ne and nw. they want to use there number in the house to win both top position while hiding under the cover of credibility. tell them its not going to work.they must take pdp chairman while the sw take chairman of assembly and the east will take both assist and national secretary. untill we creat equal states to every region or we introduce equal representatives to the house from every region.

While I tend to agree with you over the reasoning of the North that now informs this current strategy , I think Nigerians , because of all that has happened already, should all refrain from the passionate talk of who should get what as you have done in the latter part of your post .

When deals were being made to get GEJ where he is , and folks were falling in line after one inducement or the others, Nigerians were told to "butt out of PDP affair" by the GEJ fans. They were told zoning is retrogressive and archaic. Now we should similarly "butt out" and let them do what they want .

Any 'deal' they agree to , if it is the wish of the majority, should stand . It is the same majority PDP "agreement" that got GEJ where he is today. The President , talk less of Nigerians who are not even PDP Senators or Reps, have no business with double standards or making demands on "stakeholders". Let majority carry the day and let the Senators and Rep decide who they want to lead them . We must learn, even if our Ox is gored , to get away from the hypocrisy of rejecting certain thing today , because of self interest, and backing that very thing passionately tomorrow because we stand to gain.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by sbeezy8: 7:41pm On May 06, 2011
Beaf:

youre going overboard GEJ himself no fit try and tlk about underage voters in the north o boy you get imagination! The middle belt will always be split between north and south.

(North)                                                    (south)
NW+NE+ 50% OF NC is more than SE+SS+50% NC.

when talking of reps seat the north doesnt need zoning now the SW is not an important part of PDP south.
The north has more seats!
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by enyojo(f): 8:02pm On May 06, 2011
They have a point there.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by kasiem(m): 10:20pm On May 06, 2011
Isn't this sounding ludicrous? If we are to be using merit for everything in naija, how would the northerners compete with southerners? I dey laugh for panya
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by Gbawe: 10:58pm On May 06, 2011
kasiem:

Isn't this sounding ludicrous? If we are to be using merit for everything in naija, how would the northerners compete with southerners? I dey laugh for panya

I think we are missing the big picture here. "Merit" only applies , in a pure manner, when an empowered Office holder (the President for example) select the best man for the job regarding a position he has entire employment discretion over . With legislative bodies like the Senate and the house of rep , it is up to Senators and Reps themselves to choose their leader . Not you and me . The North is thus banking on its greater number to simply win influential positions . The thinking is that a Northern candidate will win when all candidates slug it out thanks to their majority in the lower house .
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by sbeezy8: 11:02pm On May 06, 2011
Gbawe:

I think we are missing the big picture here. "Merit" only applies , in a pure manner, when an empowered Office holder (the President for example) select the best man for the job regarding a position he has entire employment discretion over . With legislative bodies like the Senate and the house of rep , it is up to Senators and Reps themselves to choose their leader . Not you and me . The North is thus banking on its greater number to simply win influential positions . The thinking is that a Northern candidate will win when all candidates slug it out thanks to their majority in the lower house .

+1

some clowns like to say punish pdp SW lol laughable without those thieves in the SW pdp chapter, the north BY FAR is the majority.

its quite funny
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by Rhino5dm: 11:16pm On May 06, 2011
Ok. Choose btw the following . . .

Jega(northerner) and Maurice Iwu(southerner) for INEC chairmanship.

Sanusi Lamido sanusi(northerner) and charlse soludo(southerner) for CBN governorship.

kasiem:

Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by kasiem(m): 11:22pm On May 06, 2011
Gbawe:

okay, i understand ur point, but if they're relying on their obsolete majority, that means they are not for real meritocracy. On a normal setting, the northerners are supposed to be represented by southerners, cos when i was going through the profile of their representatives, most of them are just having O'level (thats why they dont make education for their vassals). So, i dont why a poorly educated northerner will participate in making laws that will guide the likes of chinua achebe, wole soyinka et al
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by kasiem(m): 11:38pm On May 06, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Ok. Choose btw the following . . .

Jega(northerner) and Maurice Iwu(southerner) for INEC chairmanship.

Sanusi Lamido sanusi(northerner) and charlse soludo(southerner) for CBN governorship.

i wouldn't forget henry nwosu. And what makes u think that sanusi is better than soludo? Is it because he's the one steering the ship of cbn right now? Let me tell u, if sanusi steps down today, definitely another person that'll assume that mantle will find some of sanusi's flaws. During soludo's days he received accolades the same way sanusi is receiving today.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by naijaking1: 11:48pm On May 06, 2011
kasiem:

i wouldn't forget henry nwosu. And what makes u think that sanusi is better than soludo? Is it because he's the one steering the ship of cbn right now? Let me tell u, if sanusi steps down today, definitely another person that'll assume that mantle will find some of sanusi's flaws. During soludo's days he received accolades the same way sanusi is receiving today.

Oh, are you just forgetting the northern paymasters of this guy?
If GEJ had wanted, he too could have teleguided Jega like IBB and other northern military criminals found some willing and hungry southern INEC stooges.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by Beaf: 11:51pm On May 06, 2011
sbeezy8:

youre going overboard GEJ himself no fit try and tlk about underage voters in the north o boy you get imagination! The middle belt will always be split between north and south.

(North)                                                    (south)
NW+NE+ 50% OF NC is more than SE+SS+50% NC.

when talking of reps seat the north doesnt need zoning now the SW is not an important part of PDP south.
The north has more seats!

Dude, everyone is at the bargaining table. The NE wants the speakership, but they have wheeled out their biggest very early in the day (which is an obvious sign of weakness). No doubt, both sides have quite "persuasive" tools at their disposal, GEJ's will always be deployed through powerful background proxies out of the public eye, but he has a far wider choice of options than any opponent.
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by Gbawe: 11:58pm On May 06, 2011
kasiem:

okay, i understand your point, but if they're relying on their obsolete majority, that means they are not for real meritocracy. On a normal setting, the northerners are supposed to be represented by southerners, cos when i was going through the profile of their representatives, most of them are just having O'level (thats why they dont make education for their vassals). So, i dont why a poorly educated northerner will participate in making laws that will guide the likes of chinua achebe, wole soyinka et al

I quite agree. Nonetheless , when we ordinary Nigerians cannot have a say , we can only wish those who are 'stakeholders' do the right thing. This is why I would have preferred a Nigeria not led by a PDP Government . Under the PDP everything is about keeping Politicians happy without a consideration for getting the best hands who can develop Nigeria rapidly and aggressively . America hinted this when they stated that the PDP relegates Nigerians to the background in favour of what is in the best interest of Party members.

David Mark , for the leftist zeal Nigeria needs right now, is a pathetic ultra-conservative failure given to protecting the status quo for the "owners of Nigeria". His entire political history , and his 4 years as Senate President , shows this!!!  Is it not a disgrace that it is looking likely that this is the man who will head the Senate for the next 4 years when, ordinarily, it should be imperative Nigeria gains a very progressive, proactive and pro-reform Senate President? With GEJ endorsing Mark for 4 years we see he has already settled for an unhurried and "business as usual" pace to our development .
Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by Rhino5dm: 6:47am On May 07, 2011
Produce a match of prof. Jubril Aminu
and Dr. Rilwan lukman. But before you make any haste in reply, I advise you to google those names first cos you seems to be naive about the potentials in the north.
Though in comparision with the overal populations, we can say they are minute.

With the exception of SW,  The north can push any another region to the brink competion wise.

kasiem:

Re: House Speakership: Northern Reps Reject Zoning, Insist On Competence by revomind(m): 9:15am On May 07, 2011
Frankly, I think Farouk Lawan deserves a shot. Bright young man, been in the house for how long now?

I think Zoning is dead and we shouldn't even mourn it, at least as Southerners. We killed it. Let the wish of the majority carry the day. That's the way.

@Dede1---- if its your opinion that Northerners can do no good without the more puzzling quota system, its up to those who plotted the death of zoning to take the life out of it. Otherwise, we should just live with it.

I'm loving this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alao-akala Displays Wristwach Worth #25million Naira At Court / Pictures:before And After The Protester Was Shot Dead By The Police Today / Regional Integration Will Not Solve Our Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.