Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,603 members, 7,812,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion (16821 Views)

Buhari Orders Nigerian Flag To Be Flown Half-mast For 3 Days In Honour Of COAS / Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts / Military Jets, Soldiers Take Over Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Kwara, Adamawa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Blue3k(m): 2:05am On Jun 23, 2021
Justice Taiwo Taiwo of the Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the Federal Government to pay a cumulative sum of over $3 billion (about N1.4 trillion) to Rivers and Akwa Ibom states.

The amount stands as shares of the two states from $62 billion crude oil sales said to have been recovered from some oil companies.

In the judgment delivered on Tuesday, Justice Taiwo ordered the federal government to pay Rivers $1.114.551.610 and another $2.258.411.586 being the amount separately claimed against the federal government as their shares from $62 billion.

The plaintiffs in the suit are the Attorney General of Rivers and Akwa Ibom states while the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice is the sole defendant.

Delivering the judgment, Justice Taiwo held that the federal government admitted the claims of the two states by its refusal to defend the case when served with the court papers.

Justice Taiwo said the mere notice of intention to defend the case without joining issues with the plaintiffs was not enough in any court matter.

By refusing to debunk or controvert the claims of the two states, the Judge held that the federal government had legally admitted that all the averments and claims of plaintiffs be true.

Justice Taiwo further held that the suit of the two states was founded on the Supreme Court on how proceeds from crude oil sales should be shared, adding that the claim of the two states on the recovery of additional $62 billion was never controverted by the defendant despite several correspondences, hence the law deems the claims as the truth.

The court rejected the assertion of the federal government that it cannot pay any money it did not receive from the oil company, adding that the defendant ought to have filed a bona-fide defence to explain its position in court as required by law.

“By not filling a defence to the claims of the two plaintiffs, I have no option but to hold that the defendant has no defence to the case and I have no discretion than to give judgment in favour of the plaintiffs.

“I hereby order that a sum of $1.114.551.610 be paid to Rivers State and $2.258.414.586 to Akwa Ibom State being their shares from the $62 billion recovered from sales of crude oil.
http://saharareporters.com/2021/06/22/court-orders-broke-nigerian-government-pay-rivers-akwa-ibom-n14-trillion

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Daniguy09: 2:08am On Jun 23, 2021
Na so
Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Blue3k(m): 2:09am On Jun 23, 2021
Man the FG is lazy. What are all these lawyers paid fr if the can't even respond to judgment. Lol good on Akwa Ibom and Rivers for securing the bag thus far.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Nobody: 2:49am On Jun 23, 2021
grin grin grin

Please, mods should move to joke section.

grin grin grin

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by limeta(f): 2:51am On Jun 23, 2021
Come to court to expose themselves
no chance .
Better no context than explanation of looted funds.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by agulion: 4:55am On Jun 23, 2021
FG should pay them the money very quick, after all Bola Tinubu , the Chicago drug Lord got two bullion van

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Grace001: 4:59am On Jun 23, 2021
Joke of a country.... Even if FG see where to borrow that kind of money right now they will rush there with delegates to ask for loan.

Akwa Ibom go wait tire, FG is broke

8 Likes

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by MansoryMX(m): 4:59am On Jun 23, 2021
Additional $62 billions dollars recovered from some Oil companies just like that! Not even the total sum for the year but additional! I believe these companies reduced their profit margin to pay less taxes to government but after external auditing by the government, their yansh was opened and they had no option but to remit the right figure payable to Federal government. Money dey this country ooo! Money dey!! Money really really dey Nigeria!!!!

Do you know how much is $62 billion dollars? If not for this court case against Federal Government, the masses don’t even know how government revenues are managed, they no longer allow public press anymore in government institutions where revenues are generated or recorded. Give that amount to 6 small countries in Europe and watch how they will transform their environment into heaven, upgrade their health care and security. Today look at UAE, Oman, Qatar and Kuwait in terms of infrastructure, technology, electricity, health care and security. Then look at the likes of Nigeria, Iraq, Syria and Afghan. You can tell the common differences from these countries. Some have visions, accountability, determinations to compete with the Western world, China and Russia and even to supersede them! Nigeria is a fantastically corrupt country in every aspect you can think of and it saddens my heart we have never had a leader with the right vision to move this country to where it ought to be, instead they keep on using different tactics like cow issues and insecurity to distract the masses on daily basis!

I am beginning to think the meaning of the name Nigeria is know as “Waywardness, cursed or backwardness”. How can a country be so blessed with so many different natural resources and intelligent people, yet so wayward to the core! I know we dislike each other in this country but gosh! This people in government representing each of us from different tribes, locations or religion are seriously killing not just our body and soul but also our future. Even if this country divides into 20 pieces today, if we don’t get rid of the bad eggs that have ruined and still ruining this blessed country called Nigeria like Ghana did theirs and the French did in the 18th century, We will never get it right and we all will still suffer in our various New Nations!!!!!!!!!!. I weak abeg

68 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Monogamy: 5:14am On Jun 23, 2021
Abi Fg don pay the money ni

3 Likes

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by chrisxxx(m): 5:48am On Jun 23, 2021
Ehhhh
Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by austinepreshyus(m): 5:49am On Jun 23, 2021
Even at that, is that amount enough? Compared to what has been taken by force and stolen..

6 Likes

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Stevenson20: 5:50am On Jun 23, 2021
Grace001:
Joke of a country.... Even if FG see where to borrow that kind of money right now they will rush there with delegates to ask for loan.

FG is not broke, rather they are all looting us dry. That's just it.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Drsnives(m): 5:52am On Jun 23, 2021
What about Delta State..
Make una no make me vex
Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by adebayo201: 5:52am On Jun 23, 2021
SARSCoV2:
grin grin grin

Please, mods should move to joke section.

grin grin grin

cheesy grin grin grin

Them do own goal
Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by philfrey08: 5:52am On Jun 23, 2021
I think say dem de strike
Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by tiswell(m): 5:52am On Jun 23, 2021
This is no news

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Oduok(m): 5:53am On Jun 23, 2021
Whether Federal government pays these states or not it doesn't affect the common man in these states. We only fight federal government while we hardly ask our states to account for what they receive.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by superCleanworks(m): 5:53am On Jun 23, 2021
money money wey una dey call like this. grin
Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Nobody: 5:54am On Jun 23, 2021
And they say they cant afford subsidy....
Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by ddippset(m): 5:54am On Jun 23, 2021
grin

Den go wait tire. The government can't afford to give them this 2023 election money.
Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by olatade(m): 5:54am On Jun 23, 2021
The Nigerian government that is looking for money to borrow abi

1 Like

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Mossadd: 5:55am On Jun 23, 2021
I dont think Nigeria govt under buhari will pay this money,because buhari government doesn't recognise or respect court orders

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Jeezuzpick(m): 5:57am On Jun 23, 2021
We all know it's not gonna happen.

This FG no send courts.
Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by muller101(m): 5:57am On Jun 23, 2021
When will that be.
Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by na2016: 5:58am On Jun 23, 2021
Grace001:

I don't really think FG is broke. With certain thing they do in this country, I doubt they are broke
Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by mrkings84(m): 6:00am On Jun 23, 2021
Abeg they should bring the money sharp Sharp... Oil things!!

With this money, I see Wike building another flyover, and Udom securing another aeroplane for Ibom Air.

Good enough, aside Lagos, these are the only 2 states competing for projects delivery!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Sleekfingers: 6:01am On Jun 23, 2021
Blue3k:
http://saharareporters.com/2021/06/22/court-orders-broke-nigerian-government-pay-rivers-akwa-ibom-n14-trillion

ok na.......but for where the FG wan see the money? The FG that is borrowing money up and down.....
Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by RobbStark(m): 6:01am On Jun 23, 2021
Rivers state receives her share of the money, I see Wike, the slayer of you know who... dancing and mocking Buhari and his govt calling them all sort of names while in an event.

This I have seen grin grin

1 Like

Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by 4four(m): 6:01am On Jun 23, 2021
This all thing u should be expecting when u have quota system SAN as AGF
Re: Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Rivers, Akwa Ibom ₦1.4 Trillion by Sleekfingers: 6:02am On Jun 23, 2021
na2016:

I don't really think FG is broke. With certain thing they do in this country, I doubt they are broke

the FG is broke....

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari To Disband Buni-Led APC-Caretaker Committee / Bua Group Not Interested In Kogi Land, Company Replies State Assembly / Babajide Owodunni: Appeal Court Sacks Ogun PDP Lawmaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.