Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,265 members, 7,849,948 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:00 PM

The Check And Balance System That Nigerians Have Been Ignoring! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Check And Balance System That Nigerians Have Been Ignoring! (243 Views)

Name 3 Politicians That Nigerians Trust / Presidency hails Nigerians for Ignoring Sowore’s #RevolutionNow Protests / Why Is All The Check Points At The Ogun State Border Manned By Northerners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Check And Balance System That Nigerians Have Been Ignoring! by Sunsen: 10:06am On Jun 23, 2021
This is based on my Personal opinion, but if you find it useful, please help spread the awareness.

Good morning!

So this morning, while I was dressing up for work, some thoughts kept running through my mind and it's almost unbelievable how much the costs of things have gone up.

Things are almost unaffordable for average Nigerian, and it seems that almost all the policies being made are done with the purpose of worsening everything.

Yesterday, I read that almost #30billion was used to renovate senate building last year or is it house of assembly? And the roof was still leaking.

Then I read another news where FG claimed to have spend billions on fighting poverty

So, the first question that came to my mind was...

How did we end here?

I'm not in support of secession, but I'm not against it either.

I don't believe that our problem is because we are too much or because different ethnic groups were combined to cohabitate together.

So, I was thinking, Most Politicians are manipulative and cunny.

It's possible not to see through their intentions while canvassing for your votes. Fine, we have made the mistake of voting for who does not have our best intention at heart! What do we then do?

Nothing That is basically what we can do right now (directly though) Protest might be another alternative but in this country, experience has showed just how effective Protests can be...

I believe we still have one last option, (the power of the people and unity)

So here is what I think it should play out or can play out if we still want a country that will favour all of us.

At the house of assembly, and representatives election levels, voters should vote for those they believe have their *best interest* at heart.

To me, I feel like this is the most powerful election though(I stand to be corrected)

Unfortunately, this is the election that people gives the least attention to.

I love Chess but I'm an average player. I can only anticipate 2 moves earlier... I don't play it often though but part that I love the most is the *checkmate*

This election is supposed to be our checkmate move!

But how so?

Like I said earlier, people should vote for senators or representatives that have their best interest at heart( don't worry if the person don't eventually do) when majority of the people are united and unbiased, they can be *recalled*!

The process of recalling senators are in three stages:
1. Petition
2. Verification
3. Referendum

When people start using this power, there is already a sort of check and balances.

If a president is not working actively, petition your senator to move for the impeachment of the President. If the senator does not act according to the interest of the majority of his constituency, recall the Senator and elect another 1.

When Senators and reps realized they can be recalled, with live examples, they will always act to protect the interests of their constituency.

And the President will know that the senators can move for an impeachment anytime, so he will act to protect the interests of all constituencies so he won't be impeached as well
Re: The Check And Balance System That Nigerians Have Been Ignoring! by Zaheertyler(m): 10:18am On Jun 23, 2021
Until we in Africa understand that we have giveN too much power to the government
Then We won’t move forward
Imagine Africa making the world rich and then we are suffering.. it’s crazy
Re: The Check And Balance System That Nigerians Have Been Ignoring! by saxha: 10:58am On Jun 23, 2021
Africans are simply not capable of governing themselves properly.

Forget the government, even in a family, how many parents/couples, can plan accordingly to raise their kids and enjoy their income till they die? Some will even tell you, "komo to joogun, ma ti joogbon" - which translates to "before a child will get the inheritance, I, the owner of the property, must enjoy life to the fullest."
This led me to another conclusion, which is "Africans are not capable of loving themselves."
To rule properly and manage wealth as a leader for your people you also need to love them. Individually, the majority of us don't love each other. We only want to live like King where the rest of the people bow to our feet.

While my submission may require providing psychological or scientific evidence, I can give a rough example.
In the whole world, is there any black nation, with no white at the helms of leadership doing well?
Even in Africa, the Mediterranean (Egyptians, Tunisians, etc) have shown their apparent differences from us despite being categorized as Africans. And we all know the story of South Africa.
So what am I saying? Just like "Agric fowl" are different from "local fowl" perhaps we humans are all different as well.

Note, even among the whites, Western Europe seems to be doing well than Eastern Europe. Even the USA and Australia that are ok today are mostly dominated by descendants of Western Europe.

(1) (Reply)

Former Osun State Commissioner For Health Is Dead / CSO Kicks As Kwara Government Set Up Committee On Propaganda / How Prepared Are We For A Post Oil Economy? – Tony Ademiluyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.