Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,296 members, 7,836,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment (11577 Views)

FG Mulls Single Salary Scale For Federal Civil Service MDAs / Panic As FG Prepares To Downsize Federal Civil Service / Ohanaeze, Afenifere, ACF Disagree Over Civilian JTF’s Recruitment Into Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by NewFolm4(m): 7:14am On Jun 25, 2021
Lifting of the embargo on staff recruitment into the federal civil service is not one of the strategies on the card to reduce unemployment, the Federal Government said yesterday.

Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Mr Festus Keyamo (SAN), said doing so would be like a drop in the ocean and therefore not make the desired impact.

He spoke during the weekly ministerial briefing organised by the Presidential Communication Team, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

According to him, the government of President Muhammadu Buhari targets more high-yielding approaches to tackle the prevailing alarming unemployment rate.

The minister was responding to a question on administration’s plan to lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty within a decade while shutting the door against recruitment into the service.

Finance, Budget and National Planning Minister Mrs. Zainab Ahmed had in October 2019 announced the suspension of employment by the federal government to sustain the 2020 Budget.

The President restated the position last year it the advent of the Coronavirus pandemic.

Keyamo said: “I think your question assumes that the kind of employment want to create is in civil service. That’s not the idea of employment. All around the world employment, public services employment account for less than one per cent of employment.

“So, it will be very short sighted of us as government, very myopic, very, like wrong game approach to think that we want to lift people out of poverty and create employment by opening up gaps in the civil service to employ people.

“How many are we going to employ for the 33% (unemployment rate) that we have now is so high.

“The unemployment figures are indefensible. The 33% was compounded more by the COVID scourge, the whole world is reeling from the COVID scourge. So, we need to react more innovatively to create employment.

“For us, we are working very hard to ensure that we skill up Nigerians. The way to approach on employment is to skill up the populace. That’s the way out, to encourage the small, the macro small and medium scale entrepreneurs, support their businesses, ensure that people are self-employed, skill them up.

“That’s what the N-Power is doing. In N-Power, whether you are a graduate or not, go and learn a skill so that you can be self-employed and feed yourself. Those are employment we are creating, those people who are skilling up.

So, the only way to know that we have fought unemployment is that in the next 10 years, we print out a 100 million letters. No.

“We want to skill up Nigerians; we want to empower them, support small businesses, empower Nigerians more so that they can be self employed.

“That I think is the way forward and that’s our own focus as a government to fight unemployment”, the Minister said.

The minister also said that approximately N24, 000, 817,800.00 billion had been paid out to more than 413,639 beneficiaries under the 774,000 Special Public Works (SPW) scheme as at June 24, 2021.

He also revealed that 413,630 Nigerians drawn from rural communities and mostly itinerant workers have been paid.

Contrary to critics’ belief that the SPW scheme may have failed over initial payment, it has achieved 60 per cent success rate.

The minister blamed the initial hitches on discrepancies noticed during the registration phase, especially with bank verification numbers.

Keyamo revealed that despite his attempts to ensure due diligence in the implementation of the programme, he uncovered that some fraudulent Nigerians opened multiple bank accounts under a single Bank Verification Number (BVN).

Besides, he said the COVID-19 lockdown that temporarily halted the implementation process, triggered the scheme’s expansion by the President to enable those in the lowest cadre of economic strata to benefit.

He said: “When we wanted to introduce the special social works scheme here in Nigeria, the President first approved the pilot scheme, because he thought, perhaps we needed to test run it to see what we can apply here.

“So, the first thing the President approved was that we should do eight states at that time. And not all the local governments just five, in selected states originally, that was in late 2019, then I just became minister.”

He went further to explain other interventions of the administration, saying, “so far, those we have paid have received their N60,000 for the three months, we saved so many lives across the country by this payment, some use their own to buy grinding machine, I just discovered a grinding machine costs about N45, 000.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/recruitment-into-federal-civil-service-no-solution-to-unemployment-says-keyamo/

1 Like

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by Seniorwriter(m): 7:24am On Jun 25, 2021
SMH @the present bunch of clueless leaders in Nigeria.

@Seniorwriter

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by ggood: 7:27am On Jun 25, 2021
They should Employ Nigerians first before talking this rubbish. No solution to Unemployment and yet the reserve NNPC , Custom to thier family members

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by slawormiir: 7:27am On Jun 25, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Isoright.....
Even the Federal civil service abi na government work way dey cause poverty .....

No real niggar accept to work for government anymore in this twenty first century.......sometimes I weep for those pussy ass niggarz going into government jobs with ssce with the hopes that later they will upgrade if they acquire their bsc
You will suffer......and later be depressed......

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by Odidigboigbo(m): 7:27am On Jun 25, 2021
No one is asking government to employ everyone. Fix the economy, electricity, and other basic infrastructure that enables business to grow that is the way to fight unemployment. Many businesses has collapsed because of your trial and error economic policies, how will a business grow or new investors come in when there is uncertainties in your economic policies?

9 Likes

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by blessochampion(m): 7:27am On Jun 25, 2021
Industrialization is the only solution to this issue. Stop wasting our resources.

3 Likes

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by tomilayomi: 7:28am On Jun 25, 2021
The minister also said that approximately N24, 000, 817,800.00 billion had been paid out to more than 413,639 beneficiaries under the 774,000 Special Public Works (SPW) scheme as at June 24, 2021.

Omo, after I did the calculation, it was just N58,023.6 per beneficiary.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by Onepeople: 7:28am On Jun 25, 2021
One of the most useless SAN after malami.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by HEAVEN4444: 7:28am On Jun 25, 2021
angry
Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by Cutehector(m): 7:28am On Jun 25, 2021
cheesy
Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by 24kmagic: 7:29am On Jun 25, 2021
As long as you didn't give me an appointment letter or give me N5M to start a business, whatever I achieve or set up is solely my effort, and not because of any government policy.

Even if na Jesus go come down come contest election for Nigeria, I no go vote for anybody

Useless people
Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by 4tomandchi: 7:29am On Jun 25, 2021
Mumu minister what has he done to improve and engage people?

His scam project is still putting people to more suffering...

"Keyamo don join cabal, senior advocate of nonsense"
Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by RealLordZeus(m): 7:29am On Jun 25, 2021
That’s what the N-Power is doing. In N-Power, whether you are a graduate or not, go and learn a skill so that you can be self-employed and feed yourself. Those are employment we are creating, those people who are skilling up.
I dont get this part, Is Npower a skill acquisition programme, i thought the NTeach or whatever also works for the gov

1 Like

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by Harrynight(m): 7:29am On Jun 25, 2021
shocked

Nonsense Talk!
Employ them FIRST at least it will go along way to reduce the number of unemployment
Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by lamideee(f): 7:29am On Jun 25, 2021
Se na like this we go dey dey

1 Like

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by obembet(f): 7:29am On Jun 25, 2021
Buhari deserve another tenure. Best president ever.

1 Like

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by fernandoc(m): 7:29am On Jun 25, 2021
They have no plan. Take it or leave it.

1 Like

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by Factfinder1(m): 7:29am On Jun 25, 2021
Useless bastards
Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by zombieHUNTER: 7:29am On Jun 25, 2021
Nigerians to stop electing brain dead leaders like Buhari and keyamo remains the only solution....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by Odunolumide(m): 7:30am On Jun 25, 2021
Make Dem recruit me abeg ,at least that is the solution to my own unemployment problem.
One less unemployed person niyen���
Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by Inspiration007: 7:30am On Jun 25, 2021
Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by constant1960: 7:30am On Jun 25, 2021
How did we end to this point

1 Like

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by zombieHUNTER: 7:30am On Jun 25, 2021
fernandoc:
They have no plan. Take it or leave it.
They just climb the podium and start shouting how they will provide millions of jobs before elections....

Zombies will believe them as usual....
Tinubu have started already
Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by OgideAgu: 7:30am On Jun 25, 2021
We never see 774 money till today...
Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by gasparpisciotta: 7:31am On Jun 25, 2021
VIP-Vagabonds in Power
Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by Enudapan: 7:31am On Jun 25, 2021
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

Every young nigga out there should
Start taking mushin weed
And start up a B0mbing career
Cos government can't help your unemployment

2 Likes

Re: Keyamo: Recruitment Into Federal Civil Service No Solution To Unemployment by mechanics(m): 7:32am On Jun 25, 2021
They tried, half bread is better than none.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yari Defies APC Zoning Arrangement, Picks Nomination Form For Chairman / I’ve Become 12% Poorer As Governor In Last 4 Yrs – Makinde / Breaking News: See What Happened To Gov. Godswill Akpabio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.